Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #31
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Default Re: Buying Austrailan made

I'm a massive fan of buy Australian made. I've even had digs made to me about how I seem to go 'overboard'. 99.9% of all products I buy are made in Australia. If I can't find something made here, I will choose the next option that isn't China/India.

There are still heaps of products made in Australia, you just have to know where to look. I check every product I pickup and now usually know what is made here and what isn't.

I buy only Australian made general household food products as I refuse to buy/consume anything food related that is made in China. All of Nabisco's products including in a Biskit, Oreos and premiums etc. are now all made in China.
Watch out for peanuts and peanut butter. There are a lot of generics now being made in China and most of the time you can still get the Aussie made one for a similar price.

Arnotts, (although foreign owned) still make most of their products here.

I even go as far as to support an Australian owned company who makes stuff here over one that's foreign owned.

All my bathroom products are Australian made. You can still get Aussie made toothpaste, toothbrushes, body wash, shampoos and conditioners, as well as tissues and dunny rolls.

Even the Aluminium foil & cling wrap I buy is Aussie made. Castaway still make the stuff here, although the only place I've been able to find it is Campbell's warehouse.

If I buy fruit and vegies they're Australian grown and I even buy locally grown garlic.

All the cars I've ever owned (apart from the 3 Japanese imports I've had) were Australian built.

Cars (especially new ones) are the harder thing to do, due to the much higher cost involved in getting something new. For instance, I'd love a new Territory Diesel but I'm not in any position to buy something at that price (no matter where it's from), so I'll just have to wait a few years for them to slowly come out on the 2nd hand market and down in price.

When I go to buy white goods & furniture in the future, I plan on trying to get as much Aussie made stuff as I can. There are still lounges and beds made here as well as fridges, freezers & cooktops.

It can be done. I just seem to be one of those odd people that likes to do what he can while we can. It will probably end up being a futile exercise in the end (with the way this 'globalisation' thing is heading), but I'll stick with what I know and am comfortable with for the time being.

I'll finish my now and go find an Aussie made flame retardant suit.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #32
IDT
Marko

Buy Australian, pfft. Any business listed on the ASX or Wall street or wherever could be owned by anyone. As a percentage of GDP manufacturing in Oz has always been minimal. The only thing that made it even remotely relevant was the fact we were a million miles from anywhere else. Advances in transportation systems ended that. Also may pay for some members to remember as for GDP we export a hell of a lot more than we import, for this alone we should all be greatful it gives us hospitals, roads, schools etc etc. Instead of thinking about vegimite and aeroplane jelly and the other iconic products we used to call our own and could never imagine being without. Ask how many people want to be Jar cleaners at the local peanut butter manufacturer? Low skilled low paid jobs always have and always will be taken up by countries with poorer economies, whilst countries like our rely on primary industries mining, agriculture, R&D, education industry etc etc
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #33
prydey
Rob

how many thousands of australians are employed by multi national companies?? regardless of where you buy, you are still helping to keep australians in jobs.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #34
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

If you can afford to buy the Australian made products and can find one that is actually as good or better than the cheaper alternative then I say go for it. I'm afraid that in this day and age most people will almost always buy what they can afford from wherever is cheapest and that's just the way it is. I live on a limited income myself and I'm afraid I am guilty of purchasing many items from O/S due to the ridiculous mark up by retailers over here, maybe if the big shot CEO's and directors weren't so bloody greedy there would be more Aussie owned businesses making locally produced goods within the average workers affordability range. Sorry to say it but nothing has changed over time, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, it's the same all over the globe. Unfortunately this country is no longer our own and it never will be again :(

Last edited by Russ; 01-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #35
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got some new mufflers the other day, had a choice between two or three brands. Told the guy at the exhaust shop I would get the but the Australian made redbacks to support australian made products despite him recommending a different brand. The guy sounded a bit surprised. Please don't anybody tell me redbacks aren't Aussie made!

If the Aussie goods are close to the mark in price and quality I think you've gotta do your bit.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #36
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I pay more where I can. If it's something that the quality will be recognised - work boots, clothes, tap fittings etc.

I am one of those people who would rather pay 20% more for something quality and have it last 3 times as long.

Things I buy cheap include disposables... plastic bags, etc.

I will keep my thoughts about what labour costs have done to competitiveness in Australia. Everyone knows it's true.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #37
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

produce: Local markets, fruit and veg shops, butchers and bakers where I can.
Clothing: I try to get as much Aussie made as possible.
Furniture: Wouldn't have a clue, that that is mine, was made by my famile (coffee tables, dining chairs, even my old bed), all the old mans work, so that's as aussie made as you can get.

If it's home-madeable I'll do it at home if I can't find an Aussie made version.

I'm a student, I live poor, and I can go out of my way to buy Aussie made. So the "it's more expensive" line, when it comes down to food/general merch, doesn't sit well with me.
I work part time for a manufacturer (German owned, but local gig), who make car parts. The industry is screwed for two reasons: 1. The assemblers/OEMs are looking for a cheaper supply, however, have started to re check what they're doing (hence why we are starting to get a little more business), but the competition has been killed locally, so even with the awareness people have now, nothing is going to change in that regards, and 2) yes, locally made stuff is more expensive, because people have to make a dollar. The old adage that "supply=costs more" isn't necessarily true. Make it obvious Aussie made *insert random object here* is more popular than it's Chinese/Taiwanese/Indian counterpart then someone may just pop up locally to make it cheaper than the other guy. Again, it comes down to the competition locally being killed by the overseas mass producers. Obviously this theory won't work for everything, but it's just my two cents, based on observations over the years.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #38
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I try and buy Australian Made where I can........my friends own this business http://www.threethrees.com.au/index.html and they are fourth generation......their products are great and the Mighty Mite......tastes better than Vegemite....really IMO. They need your support ,so try some...Thanks
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

i'm slightly amused at how many people say they buy australian to get better quality, even if it costs a bit more.

australian made doesn't automatically mean better quality! would you still buy australian if it was an obviously inferior product, even slightly??

manufacturing in australia is expensive. offshore items can be a lot cheaper AND much higher quality.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #40
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
manufacturing in australia is expensive. offshore items can be a lot cheaper AND much higher quality.
That may be the case for furniture or other manufactured goods, but I would never buy produce or food products from overseas if I could help it...I don't like eating vegetables from a country where human waste is used as fertiliser, or harmful pesticides are used.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
That may be the case for furniture or other manufactured goods, but I would never buy produce or food products from overseas if I could help it...I don't like eating vegetables from a country where human waste is used as fertiliser, or harmful pesticides are used.
yeah, we don't spray things here in australia.

i find everyone is all 'pro australian made' up to a certain price point. grocery shopping is hardly a major cost differential but when it comes to larger items at much higher costs where quality of offshore products is often perceived as being much better, peoples loyalties are not so black and white.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #42
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute 33
I try and buy Australian Made where I can........my friends own this business http://www.threethrees.com.au/index.html and they are fourth generation......their products are great and the Mighty Mite......tastes better than Vegemite....really IMO. They need your support ,so try some...Thanks
Really? Oh man my mum has bought those pickles for ever! I buy them because I was brought up on them. GOLD! Effing Gold! Yum
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #43
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
i'm slightly amused at how many people say they buy australian to get better quality, even if it costs a bit more.

australian made doesn't automatically mean better quality! would you still buy australian if it was an obviously inferior product, even slightly??
Well you bought a ford.....
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #44
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

I own a business that produces a specific item in China to sell here and in NZ. As an example, my price is $300 and has a 3 year warranty. My quality control has jumped because I have an Australian overseeing production in China. My competition`s product (aus made) costs double my price and has a 1 year warranty.

When more people wake up that India has taken over the mantle of crap manufacturing (where China was 10-15 years ago) then you will see pricing start to RISE (same happened with Japan when their quality rose) I have some new products being made at the moment that will make my industry sit up and take notice but the quality will be BETTER than Aus made.

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247
Well you bought a ford.....
i see where you're trying to go with that comment but the fact is, the falcon is pretty much the best car for the job for my financial situation. i have a wife and 2 kids and we regularly travel interstate. the falcon is almost unrivalled for value in this instance. the fact that its made here is just a bonus.

i don't go out of my way to buy aussie made. i have a mortgage and a family so there is very little spare change each week.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
how many thousands of australians are employed by multi national companies?? regardless of where you buy, you are still helping to keep australians in jobs.

Hence why the tittle says Australian Made. Just cause its made here doesn't mean the company is Australian owned.

Quote:
manufacturing in Australia is expensive. offshore items can be a lot cheaper AND much higher quality.
Its interesting that I see stuff moved from here to O/S and the quality drops and it holds onto their name. You can get quality from O/S but it'll cost ya...there seems to many Aussie companies that don't wanna go that far as I guess its just more cost effective to replace it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #47
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Economies of scale is what hurts us. We simply are not in the position to produce what the Taiwanese factories can. I recently went to purchase a 6x4 trailer from the local guy that has been doing it for thirty years. The 6x4 was $599 and a 7x5 was $1199, I asked why such a big difference? He explained that the 6x4's are made in Thailand and assembled here. He only makes 7x5 and tandems, builders trailers now.

What have we come to that even the local guy has to import from o'seas to compete........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #48
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

TBH, I tend to buy quality over where the product is made. This being said, if there is no difference in quality then I will do my very best to buy Aussie made. Personally Im not fussed for paying an extra 40c for a can of tomato paste etc. Unless it was significantly more expensive, (40%+ for anything thats about $10 up) then im happy to buy Aus made.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #49
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where ever possible we will buy Aussie made, our preference is for Aussie made AND Aussie owned.

Whether it be food, clothes or other bits and pieces.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #50
Mozz
Starter Motor

In the same boat, I try to buy Aussie made and owned, if not then at least Aussie made but it's not easy to find out or know.
Mozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #51
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Where ever possible we will buy Aussie made, our preference is for Aussie made AND Aussie owned.

Whether it be food, clothes or other bits and pieces.
Same - i try to support local industry as it supports me (either directly or indirectly)

Not many jobs are immune from imports

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #52
csw05
Starter Motor

Was in Woolies the other day just grabbing some snacks. Maggie noodles were made in Thailand I think but the cheaper Fantastic noodles were made in Australia??

I bought the Fantastic noodles.
csw05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #53
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i reckon many shops try to use the aussie made logo to get more out of you. they try to appeal to your patriotism and emotion.

Often I find it is the opposite. Aussie made goods are often cheaper than the imports. A few examples off the top of my head.

1. Natures organics shampoo and body wash. Almost the cheapest thing on the shelf and Aussie made and owned.

2. Coles brand toothpaste. Cheap, tastes good, supported by the Australian dental association, and not made in Tailand like Colgate.

3. Bega and Coon cheese.

4. Cadbury chocolate

5. Nudie juices

6. Aussie beer (mmmm coopers pale ale)

7. La Famiglia garlic breads

8. San remo pasta

9. Bowdens Own car care

etc, etc.

There are many Aussie made, competitively priced products out there if you take a couple of seconds to read the back label. Once you know what brands to look for you won't need to read them again.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #54
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

I would try to purchase locally made goods where possible, provided its not ridiculously expensive. except for dunny rolls - i think we should cut some other countries trees for that
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #55
Pis-ton broke
Banned

was in coles the other day, trying to buy australian orange juice, i spent 5 minutes reading labels. and could not find and ozzy product.

i hear the overseas orange juice has chemicals in it, well i guess there growers standards (types of chemicals used) aren,t as good as ours.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #56
Paxton
Cobblers!

I'll buy Australian made or grown whenever possible.

My Wife hates going grocery shopping with me, because I check everything that goes in the trolley, and if it's not Made locally, it's back to the aisle that it came from, and a quick look at the other options.

Colgate is case in point. I noticed that its taste had changed, and turned the tube over, noticing that it was no longer made in Australia. Off to Macleans I went. Arnotts were made only in Australia, with "Made in Australia, exporting to the World" written on all of their labels. Their new Rice Crackers are Indonesian, but Sakata blatantly advertised Tinned Tuna, Australian made Thai Curry Pastes, nor a number of other tinned products. I'm also quite happy to buy frozen foods from New Zealand, especially Peas, of which there aren't many Aussie ones left.

I will not buy imported fruit. I will not buy imported meat. This year, I've even found an Australian grown, Organic Ham for Christmas. The organic bit doesn't really worry me, but the fact that I know it's Australian is everything.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #57
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Lane
I would try to purchase locally made goods where possible, provided its not ridiculously expensive. except for dunny rolls - i think we should cut some other countries trees for that

Yes but there is a good toilet paper that is Aussie made and owned that is from recycled office paper. It is called Naturale. They use the profits to buy Australian rainforest for conservation.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #58
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
was in coles the other day, trying to buy australian orange juice, i spent 5 minutes reading labels. and could not find and ozzy product.

i hear the overseas orange juice has chemicals in it, well i guess there growers standards (types of chemicals used) aren,t as good as ours.
Nudie is the only one to use 100% Aussie oranges when they are in season. When supplies are low they supplement them from overseas.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #59
z80
Banned

Whats the big deal with stuff made in China?

If you think about it every thing a chinese consumer buys is made from local labour and imported raw materials.

The raw materials is from that foreign country called Australia.

So...when you buy something from China chances are you are just buying back the raw materials we sold them, and they probably used the australian coal to make the electricity that powered the factory as well.

Really can't see the problem.

We all want our kids to go to university and get "decent" jobs dont we?

When was the last time anyone aspired to have their kids work on the production line at Fords?
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #60
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

When was the last time anyone aspired to have their kids work on the production line at Fords?
We can't be a nation of doctors and lawyers either. It takes all kinds to make a society. My parents aspired for their children to be happy and healthy irregardless of where they worked.

So tell me, what job title makes people worthy of you?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post