Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #31
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Re: Almost Almost A Decade Old, Time Flies When Your Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
A good Ford Ad... Wow, it was a long time ago
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Quote:
yes one of my fav 'Coon ads and i still do that with my hand out the window too!

Whilst Ive never owned a Turbo 6, have driven many and a mate bought a BF for his Mrs (lucky girl!). It's a cracka car and a great motor. Just this morning on F3, an FG Turbo was ahead of me - dumped it getting o the freeway and just flew - the growl was awesome and like me, Im sure he had a grin on his face!

I was chatting to a neighbour other day - if the announce the last truly Aussie falcon, i will trade my NA FG XR6 for a Turbo - not for my daily drive, for my weekend warrir for many,. many years to come.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
lol @ 0.07: pingers just kicked in yo
Old 22-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6T .. unofficial development codename "Seagull" .. sh!ts over everything ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #35
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I remember when I had my EB XR6 and the BA Turbo came out, I desperately wanted one, but being a poor uni student, ended up getting a R33 Skyline turbo manual sedan. It was a great car, but only a stop gap until I could afford what I really wanted. I picked up my BFII XR6T in February this year and it still doesn’t fail to put a smile on my dial every time I drive it. Some light mods at Pitlane have improved it even further. It’s amazing how much ‘easy’ power these things make, whilst still retaining drivability.
There were rumours about the car coming out being published in Wheels and Motor in the lead up to the release of the BA, 215kw was the figure being thrown around. I can’t remember the exact quote, but when a Holden or HSV rep was asked about the future of the XU-6, he said something about not being worried. Then the XR6T came out and the puny 180kw XU-6 was quietly pensioned off.
It really was a game changing car for Ford AU and the current model is one of the best value performance sedans on the planet.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Ibo
Force Fed Ford

:') I love my BF xr6t.

I wish they did something to seperate them visually from the NA XR6, but i guess that's the beauty of it too.

The onlt thing better than an aussie built 6 is an aussie built six with a turbo bolted to the side I perfect combination of cubic meterage and forced induction.

Not a whiney little turbo 4, and not a bulky overweight v8. perfect.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #37
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes what an engine! Good thread! Time does fly, its what I made my email, barra240t@hotmail.com all those years ago, I started working for Ford in 2001 just as I left school and here I am still working for them 10 years later! It is quite surprising jumping into a used BA 4spd we trade every now and then and how "slow" they are compared to BFII onwards.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #38
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:

I remember watching this ad think wow thats awesome!

Its my 2nd fav add next from the old 300ZX ad with the TT on the air field racing away from the fighter jet
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #39
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

When I was a kid I only ever likes v8s and that was from
My dads influence. He had a el xr8 which was just awesome at the time. 5 speed and a 185kw! Well he skipped the au's and we ended up with a black ba turbo. Since the moment we drove it out of ford dealership life changed. Since then dads owned three turbos, and I build turbo 4 liters.

Excuse any spelling posting from iPhone as this is a ripper thread ad couldn't wait.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

If ever something happened to my AU, I would seriously consider buying a 6T with ZF6 speed.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #41
RAPID_BA
Banned

A worked xr6t can only be described as taking off in a jet. It has that big windup and then its just that constant surge. I used to sit in mine and think somethings gotta give, it just flew.

If I don't get the funds together to get a fg boss 335 ill grab a mint used bf2 xr6t or fg xr6t and wind it up to around 300rwkw. Just awesome cars.

Why did I sell mine? The 4spd auto couldn't take the heat, 3 rebuilds in 3000km.

But I'd love a bf2 or fg xr6t.

Comments from people who drove it

"Noooooo....this is ridiculous" as they rocketed away to 170km/h speedo looked like a tacho.

"Oh my, geeeez"
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #42
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never owned or driven one but the XR6T/F6 badge is certainly something I admire. Like has been said when i see the turbo badge on the boot you do wonder whether or not it is stock. If it wasn't for my love of the BOSS I'd happily own one.....Maybe one day....Happy anniversary T6 !
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #43
TZENU
XY Driv3r

In December 05 I walked into my dealer; didn't even request a test drive and signed on the dotted line for a BAII XR6T manual... Picked it up a week later and that was my first ever drive in it...... Off the bat they were damn quick and I still regret selling mine...
Old 22-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #44
Lyko

Mine was a March 2004 built Phantom coloured XR6T. I optioned it with premium brakes, premium sound, scuff plates, XR mats and 18" wheels. Asked the dealer to remove the Turbo badge and then painted the '6' red in colour (ala XR8). Had many scratch their heads when I'd hose them off at the lights .
My wife loved it as much as I did (she had a drive after I had it flash tuned and asked me why the orange 'tyre' light kept flashing on the dash! ).
If it wasn't for the addition of another whipper-snapper (four in total ), I'd still have it today.

By far the best car I've driven. Always brought a smile to my face after taking it for a spin
Lyko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
XR6T .. unofficial development codename "Seagull" .. sh!ts over everything ..
Another slightly incorrect myth that has become fact over the years.

It was actually "Gull".

The one thing I love about it was that the original target for power output was 230 kw, but they just couldn't detune it far enough down so they left it at 240.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #46
Cheech
HELL YES

Territory was due for replacement. I was happy to buy a new N/A FG XR6.
Dropped into Peter Warrens. Unfortunately the demo was out on a test drive.
Wife suggested we drive a demo FG turbo. Got in & gave it some right pedal at the insistance of the sales guy in the back. I was blown away.
Still test drove the N/A XR6 but it felt totally gutless after driving the turbo. So we bought the turbo there and then.

Unfortunately (for the bank balance) I became accustomed to the power at stock level and the mod bug bit. See sig.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #47
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Another slightly incorrect myth that has become fact over the years.

It was actually "Gull".

The one thing I love about it was that the original target for power output was 230 kw, but they just couldn't detune it far enough down so they left it at 240.
There you go .. I thought I remembered reading it in MOTOR magazine so I assumed (?) it had some truth. Sounds funny though
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
There you go .. I thought I remembered reading it in MOTOR magazine so I assumed (?) it had some truth. Sounds funny though
Can still use the "it craps on everything" line though, it was a good one.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #49
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember going down to the local servo and buying the first copy of MOTOR that had a BA XR8 (Blueprint) on the front cover. I remember thinking that after the disappointment of the AU both on the road and the track (and don't get me wrong on this, I own an AU and the thing is as faithful as an old dog) they really kicked some goals with the BA. And with Ambrose and Ingall winning championships, Ford were really on a good thing back then.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #50
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't believe they're going to be 10 years old next year. I still remember telling my Holden loving mate back in HS that these things would be unbelievable when they were to be released. I wasn't wrong and he hates the things.
EDIT: My first drive in a turbo falcon was in a BF typhoon. I was hooked after 30 seconds.

Last edited by stevanford; 29-12-2011 at 10:44 AM.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #51
jrfttf
Getting By!?

How time flys for sure

Still remember the day i first drove out the back gate in my brand new
BFII turbo sedan, still got her now, nearly didn't buy it due to many factors at the time, but have enjoyed every second i've had the car

Have to say the best thing ford did was chuck a hair dryer on the side of the barra donk, still love seeing a xr6t bring tears to the holden clan as one goes past!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #52
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Time flies.. was hooked from the day the BA was released. Loved the look of the whole range, and the xr6t was my dream. Couldn't afford one being a poor student at the time, so saved up. A stocko BA XT popped up in '07 for 8 grand. Traded in the EL and never looked back. Not long after, a full ba xr6t driveline came up for 4 grand. And today she's kitted out with full FG XR6T ZF6 driveline and interior. The turbo 6 driveline has come a long way since BA series 1, basically the difference between a 747 and a fighter jet. Being able to pass a B-double before being able to say the phrase: 'ford falcon'.. the feeling never grows old. 10 years on and I still get that feeling when I look at a BA and I can't get myself to upgrade to an FG.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 29-12-2011 at 08:41 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #53
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Holden guys must shake their heads when they watch this, pity there isnt a longer video.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #54
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I absolutely love my XR6T, out of everything I've owned nothing does everything so well. Admitedly my ownership experience has been far from trouble free, but I can look past all of that for the sheer enjoyment I get from driving the thing...

After a sour experience with my old BA XR6 (n/a) I would never have bought another Falcon, I ended up getting an XR5T instead - I really enjoyed that vehicle but had to get rid of it due to unfortunate circumstances. A test drive of an FG XR6T changed my mind about Falcons and the rest is history.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #55
-RADICAL-POSTURE-
!

The first time I drove an XR6T was at a well known used car dealership way back in 2005 it was a 2003 4sp auto sedan in acid rush, not my fave color at the time. But I ended up buying it because !!!!!!!
The first thing I noticed was the APS pipes sticking out the back and I remember looking underneath and seeing a 3 1/12" dump with 4" cat and thinking this has got to be the most massive system ever!!! But for me this just raised my interest as I kinda sorta sussed that it had been tuned.
After visually comparing it to another XR6T in the the car yard I found the injectors are a different color and it had an APS cold air intake on the standard air box.
At the time I could not find much else different from the other XR6T in the car yard, except for the so called premo sound and color screen.
Back in 2005 there wasn't so much knowledge.

This thing on start up sounded good, real bloody good.
As I eased this beast out of the car yard i was without any real knowledge of the power this thing held. So with my novice brain my first instinct was to put my foot down a bit, the car fishtailed a bit before grabbing traction." Beaut, I'll take it" the sales man was relieved... It ended up having 265rwkws on the auto tech dyno when I bought it and I was stoked. ( this was with the old unichip piggy back tune... that ended up killing this motor)
The car yard said they never sell modified cars!!! lol At that stage they didn't really know why it went better than the outer cars in the yard as the only real give away was the zorste... Engine, intercooler and every thing looked stock as.
Anyway the mod bug bit me hard and I was badly infected and ended up with 348rwkws with an FPV engine, built auto with 2800stall, tien coilovers and some other quality parts and tuning...
The mod bug continues with the FG turbo...........

Current car 2018 Mustang GT 10r80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHqV...yer_detailpage
-RADICAL-POSTURE- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #56
BEN189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread!
At the start of 2005, I was in a position to get a new car. I am a Ford man at heart but at that stage, I'd only owned commodores (3 VS's, one being a supercharged Calais) so off I went to sample some newer cars. Two of my good mates owned fast cars, one a CV8 Monaro and one with a BA turbo with all options including premo brakes, both manuals. They both insisted I test drive their cars. The turbo was by far the more impressive car (I got more looks cruising around in the Monaro though) so I was determined to get a turbo. Unfortunately, my budget was $30k and I couldn't find a used turbo for under $33k so I bought a VX SS manual instead which turned out to be a great car once I put wheels, brakes, exhaust etc but always regretted not buying a turbo.
I then sold the SS so me and the missus could get married and buy a house. Once we settled in, I needed something a bit newer (had a EL Fairmomt with a Windsor in it) but couldn't afford much. I hit the auctions and found a BA II turbo ex chaser that was 2.5 years old with 50k on the clock for $16k. Even though it was an ex chaser, it was a great car, not many options but I did love the premium brakes. Had no dramas with that car and got it tuned to get 250rwkw. I finally got my turbo, happy days. It then became my wife's car and at the end of last year we separated and two weeks later, she traded it in for a Mazda 3 (boo hiss) so I was turboless and getting around in my current Calais so I thought stuff this, two can play this game and I went and bought the turbo I have right now and I love it to bits!
I love my V8's, it is mainly the sound but you cannot escape the rush that the turbo brings, as Bulk BA said, it is like a jet taking off, it is totally addictive. As long as Ford keeps building, I'll keep buying them.
Long live the T6, bravo Ford.

350rwkw with Rapid cooler, Herrod CAI, Deka 80lb injectors, full xforce 3.5" exhaust, actuator.
BEN189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #57
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember showing the old man the brochure of them and he told me to stay away from them as they are a new bit of technology

he now ask's me when I am going to get one

he loves them and loves his so much that he won't even let me drive it

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #58
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep they are now 10 years old which means I can almost afford one! LOL

Cant wait think ill buy one for myself for my 30th
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
GT-E

I have owned 2 T6's. A 2004 5sp (POS gearbox), it was one of the first with the luxury pack option. Took 14 weeks from order to delivery. Got rid of it after 18 months of the dreaded driveline clunk. Bought a BF F6 with ZF and it was a Awesome drive. Kept for 4 years and upgraded to the FG GT-E for the same money as the F6 was costing me.
The Turbo 6 is a great motor. Seen the development of this motor from 300rwkw (APS) to 800rwkw we are seeing now. Also the long wait for a 10sec 1/4 time, now we are seeing 8's.