Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #31
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stop SOPA - A Free Internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrig..._United_States

interesting, as media moguls got bigger and raked in more cash, copyright timelines got longer.....
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Basically it is already happening in AUS, but here in AUS it is going to be a bit different.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...127-1o1hc.html
very different indeed, this isn't about the media shutting down sites this is warning 3 times the prosecuting pirates . like comparing apples with lemons

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well the root servers only have any influence of systems that use the root servers.

It is not difficult to set up your own and there are already many, many networks running across the internet that do not care about "." name resolution.

Paypal runs out of Switzerland and they are the ones who control the money not the yanks.
Any public nameserver will need to forward to an authoritative source when it cannot resolve the name itself. You are free to create your own server but all of them will have a forwarding server. If you don't then you will need to be able to resolve every single entry yourself, which is impossible. Beside that SOPA will outlaw any attempts to circumvent their blocking.

As for paypal, they were told the by the US govt not to process payments for wikileaks, they did exactly as they were told.
Old 26-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #34
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
very different indeed, this isn't about the media shutting down sites this is warning 3 times the prosecuting pirates . like comparing apples with lemons
and where do you think it ends up anyway?
Old 26-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #35
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123

As for paypal, they were told the by the US govt not to process payments for wikileaks, they did exactly as they were told.
wikileaks has never been charged with a crime, and neither has assange relating to wikileaks.

if it was'nt charged with a crime, the US government should not have said anything to them, and paypal should have told them where to go.
Old 26-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Any public nameserver will need to forward to an authoritative source when it cannot resolve the name itself. You are free to create your own server but all of them will have a forwarding server. If you don't then you will need to be able to resolve every single entry yourself, which is impossible. Beside that SOPA will outlaw any attempts to circumvent their blocking.

Exactly. So you make your own authorative sources. The system is very simple and has been specifically designed to prevent anyone from controlling it in any way. This what will bite them.
USA can do what it likes but in the big picture it only controls a very small part of the global infrastructure. Thay can ban what they like but it will only really affect a very small part of the global population, about 100 million odd americans (yes I know there are more than 300 million but most are not aware that there is anything much outside USA or even care).

Just another storm in a teacup.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #37
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The internet is dangerous as it allows free speech which cannot (ATM) be controlled like the traditional forms of media. Some governments find this unnerving as it allows citizens to know uncomfortable truths and scrutinise the actions of their elected officials. If SOPA succeeds it will be another step to creating an Orwellian society. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #38
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
who cares, its America, not Australia.
and a lot of websites people use are american, so yes it will affect.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #39
krzysiek

Quote:
Exactly. So you make your own authorative sources. The system is very simple and has been specifically designed to prevent anyone from controlling it in any way. This what will bite them.
USA can do what it likes but in the big picture it only controls a very small part of the global infrastructure. Thay can ban what they like but it will only really affect a very small part of the global population, about 100 million odd americans (yes I know there are more than 300 million but most are not aware that there is anything much outside USA or even care).

Just another storm in a teacup.........
With respect, I disagree with the general idea you have put forward. I think that if this bill passes, it has a lot of potential to affect us, even outside of the US.

A huge amount of the internet infrastructure is within the reach of the US law. If it wasn't, then you're right it probably wouldn't be anything 'too worrisome' - but unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Please take a look at the following link, which describes how the US has a lot of power over the entire DNS. Maybe I am overly assertive, but I do see a reason to be alert when a bill like this is trying to get made into law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_root_zone (just reading the short summary should suffice)

On a side note, I feel this thread has went very well so far with a good amount of contribution.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #40
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UN Pushes for Control of Internet Governance

Before 1998, the U.S. government completely controlled the Internet’s domain name system. As the Internet grew and became more commercial and international, total U.S. control was increasingly untenable. The U.S. could have turned over its Internet authority to an international body, like the UN’s International Telecommunication’s Union (ITU). Instead, the Clinton Administration privatized domain name governance. It did so precisely because it wanted to keep the Web’s critical naming system away from the stifling bureaucratic control of world governments.

ICANN was created as a private U.S. non-profit with an international board, and the U.S. Government’s naming authority was transferred to it. Although there have been some bumps along the way—notably ICANN’s rejection of a proposed .xxx domain—the private governance scheme has largely succeeded in preserving free expression online, allowing sites like gay.com and tibet.net to exist unmolested.
Old 26-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
With respect, I disagree with the general idea you have put forward. I think that if this bill passes, it has a lot of potential to affect us, even outside of the US.

A huge amount of the internet infrastructure is within the reach of the US law. If it wasn't, then you're right it probably wouldn't be anything 'too worrisome' - but unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Please take a look at the following link, which describes how the US has a lot of power over the entire DNS. Maybe I am overly assertive, but I do see a reason to be alert when a bill like this is trying to get made into law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_root_zone (just reading the short summary should suffice)

On a side note, I feel this thread has went very well so far with a good amount of contribution.
With respect, the only people who seem to be worried about this are the ones who do not actually understand how the internet works.

Even if the yanks turned their DNS off it would only affect them. The rest of the world would just make their own root servers and ignore USA completely.
Old 26-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently they wont just shut down websites, they will block their citizens from accessing the accused sites.
Sort of like how you cannot access Facebook from China.
Apparently. That is just what I was told.

Some guy from this other forum is certain that Facebook, youtube and google will all disappear if this SOPA thing came in.

I highly doubt it.

Sites like youtube would contribute millions of dollars a year in taxes to the US government, do you really think the government would shut down youtube due to someone saying it has pirated material on it? No they may remove material, but they wont shut the whole site down.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #43
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

Sites like youtube would contribute millions of dollars a year in taxes to the US government, do you really think the government would shut down youtube due to someone saying it has pirated material on it? No they may remove material, but they wont shut the whole site down.
to the government , it's not about the money. it about someone posting their lies.
Old 26-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #44
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I know a Youtube series I follow is worried about it, the big companies get the clips taken down cause it's "stolen property" (read recorded to DVR) but the independant companies use it as advertising and actually get alot more business through this series.

Last update I heard is they've found a way around it but yeah, if SOPA comes in alot of sites will vanish.
Old 26-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The internet (network of networks) is by design fault tolerant. The US can't simply hit a switch and tell the rest of the world to take it up the ****.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
The internet (network of networks) is by design fault tolerant. The US can't simply hit a switch and tell the rest of the world to take it up the ****.

the US managed to stop all credit card companies and paypal from taking payments for wikileaks.
Old 26-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #47
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Do as I say, not as I do.............Perhaps

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
the US managed to stop all credit card companies and paypal from taking payments for wikileaks.
On a political level and perhaps legal. It certainly was not a technical limitation.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #49
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
On a political level and perhaps legal. It certainly was not a technical limitation.
Of course the internet is fault tolerant on a technical level. There was a movement some time ago for net neutrality and in response the USA set up ICANN to take over from the US government. It is still a US based system.

The ccTLDs are administered by local regions but have a think about how many companies worldwide use .com addresses. They are under direct control of the US.

For those that think that this is a USA only thing then have a look at our FTA with the USA, specifically section 17.3 http://www.dfat.gov.au/fta/ausfta/fi...hapter_17.html

Australia also signed on to ACTA recently
http://www.trademinister.gov.au/rele...mr_110930.html

I understand the mechanics of the internet pretty well. This is not a technical issue. There will be a flow on effect to other countries. The first ones being those that have a FTA with the USA.
Old 27-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #50
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course the internet is fault tolerant on a technical level. There was a movement some time ago for net neutrality and in response the USA set up ICANN to take over from the US government. It is still a US based system.

The ccTLDs are administered by local regions but have a think about how many companies worldwide use .com addresses. They are under direct control of the US.

For those that think that this is a USA only thing then have a look at our FTA with the USA, specifically section 17.3 http://www.dfat.gov.au/fta/ausfta/fi...hapter_17.html

Australia also signed on to ACTA recently
http://www.trademinister.gov.au/rele...mr_110930.html

I understand the mechanics of the internet pretty well. This is not a technical issue. There will be a flow on effect to other countries. The first ones being those that have a FTA with the USA.

comes hot on the heels of the NDAA in the US.

NDAA
SOPA

seems the US is on the same page as hitler was.
Old 27-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #51
krzysiek

Quote:
With respect, the only people who seem to be worried about this are the ones who do not actually understand how the internet works.

Even if the yanks turned their DNS off it would only affect them. The rest of the world would just make their own root servers and ignore USA completely.
I won't pretend that I know of all the intricate details involved in making new root servers here in Australia, for example (should the law be passed) but I think it would be fair to say that this will not all go down without disruption (to us and other non-US countries).

In either case, it's not something we should counter with "it only affects the US, so screw it" because from the video I've linked, we can actually see that the people of the world have, effectively, been completely nailed. They've supplied us with the power to pirate movies/music, and now they're suing us and trying to limit our internet-freedom, all on purpose. I believe that is the bigger picture here.

Of course, it is not only the big entertainment industry that is lobbying for this new bill, but from what I have read, they're a huge supporter.
Old 29-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

If they manage to stop piracy then I guess I can drop my bandwidth limit right back to stuff all and be better off in my pocket.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #53
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
If they manage to stop piracy then I guess I can drop my bandwidth limit right back to stuff all and be better off in my pocket.
That can go both ways :p More money in your pocket from lower internet bill, but less money over all from needing to buy all of your music & movies!

In either case, this bill appears to extend much further than just 'stopping piracy' - so your concern shouldn't just end there.
Old 17-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #54
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now Wikipedia is about to be blacked out for a day in protest against SOPA

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/...-SOPA_blackout
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #55
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

If this gets passed, what the hell are all the Twitterers and Facebookers gonna do? Will Google still exist in its current capacity?

All these mainstream internet companies need to be very worried, any links that have copyrighted material attached at the other end will go missing.
Old 18-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #56
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's not for companies man.

it's for us.

its to black out us from using it as a tool to undermine government lies and abuse.

it's also a tool to stop us from forming coherent resistance in the future.

its got nothing to do with copyright material, just like conroys garbage about kiddie porn.
Old 18-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
If this gets passed, what the hell are all the Twitterers and Facebookers gonna do? Will Google still exist in its current capacity?

All these mainstream internet companies need to be very worried, any links that have copyrighted material attached at the other end will go missing.
That is a very good point, there are enough of them to roll the President of the United States at the next election.
Old 18-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #58
tweeked
N/A all the way

Are any people here who are against this able to say they do not download music/movies etc. Just for interests sake.

I pay for every Song/DVD/BD, and so are paying also for all those who believe file sharing is fair to others and the creators of the entertainment.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #59
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Wikipedia now on 24 hour shutdown.
Old 18-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #60
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what comes up when you enter a Wikipedia page right now

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post