Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: EcoBoost G6E beats Merc E-Class and Audi A6 4cyls

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
I don't think they would have much chance of winning over those buying the Germans, it's more about demonstrating the high standard of the product to those who may be in the market for (or tempted to jump into) the Falcon
I think this pretty much sums it up, if you're a Merc or a BMW buyer you're not going to be looking at a Falcon. It's more of a demonstration article than anything else.

That said, it proves that the Ecoboost Falcon is indeed a good product, and deserves to sell well. Now I guess we'll wait for all the haters to chime in about how crap it is because it doesnt have refrigerated cupholders and the quality of the plastic upper 1/7th extension housing of the anterior console panel actuator doesnt feel as nice as a Korean bum dragger.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #32
69Mach1

Geez, I'll be checking out that article. I've driven the G6E Ecoboost and it's got plenty of power and you wouldnt pick it for a 4 banger. I reckon it's a credit to Ford Australia and a brilliant product....but will that make people buy it...(I hope so) but I doubt it.

I'm starting to think I'm in the minority and the average punter doesn't really care that much whats under the hood or which wheels are driven. They will happily trade off technical sophistication, superior handling or better economy for a badge, gimmicks or to have the latest craze. So buying a car is now less about how good it is and more about brand appeal, image or the latest flavour. I think Falcon is still viewed as old school (not in a good way) and Ford has not been too successful in reinventing its appeal or image enough to maintain, let alone entice new buyers.
I mean look at Commodore, it still manages to sell OK (despite diminishing market segment) and IMO is technically inferior to Falcon on many levels, particularly from an engine point of view, I'm sorry but that 3.0 V6 is a deadset boat-anchor. Falcon has always had the best 6, has a better LPG version, has a turbo 6 and now a turbo 4. Despite this, Holden has managed to do with Commodore what Ford can't seem to do for Falcon; maintained some appeal, an image and some desirability. This is a world away from the appeal and image of the aspirational brands from Germany....they could be buckets of ***** and they would still sell. (not that they are...)

Unfortunately just because it's good or better doesn't necessarily mean it's going to sell. Worse, if you dont tell anyone...
69Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Wheels loved it, and Motor do too.

But Ford think they don't need to tell people about it, because it will sell itself, to the tune of 4 a day.

Well done Ford, masters of building good products and telling no one.

Advertise the damn thing and give it a chance to succeed the way it should FFS.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #34
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I just dont get how hard it is to advertise especially with the likes of facebook nowadays! so many ways of advertisement and innovative ways of advertising always win IMO.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #35
gtfpv
GT

i dont get why ford dont advertise either , the only ford adds that stick in my head are 2 fingers walking over a mountain while a mother looks back at a baby seat , and allan moffit revving a GT .

Aside from that i dont recall holden adds either , except CRUZE. AND SS runout adds .

It's as obvious as tits on a bull , that ford arent interested in selling the ecoboost 4 to families / or private buyers . i dont know why , but i think they are just thinking fleet sales . which has me fkd .

all i can assume is that the experts must've come up with some theory that marketing wont sell a car .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #36
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Endorsement marketing works. They should be getting a quote from Motor and using it in clever places. You don't have to do prime time TVC's (although that would be good!!!)

Things like the Virgin in flight magazine. Targeted stuff so the people seeing it have money, are in the market and may be induced to purchase

Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Certainly adds creditability..and thats what the Falcon needs
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #38
gtfpv
GT

those of us old enough will never forget the TICKFORD ENHANCED EL XR6 164KW full page adds 0-100kms an hour in 7.8 sec , faster than our xr8 .
this sold buckets loads of xr6's and still didnt compromise xr8 sales , infact when you walked into dealerships they steered you over to the v8 . that was very very very clever marketing by ford .
Old 16-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #39
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
And to be honest I dont know what they expected.

It has satnav, touch screen, reverse camera, bluetooth, bluetooth streaming, 6 way power drivers seat with memory.... What more do they want? A set of xenon headlights and perhaps a sunroof would probably fix most of their issues, but for the money you really cannot beat it.

I would like to see it up against Honda Accord Euro Luxury and Mazda 6... Cars which it is more closely priced.
I agree with your call to see it compared against more closely priced cars.

BUT there are a whole host of fancy gimmicks that could be added to the G6E. Granted, they add cost, and granted, not everybody needs them, but being a top of the range luxury model, it should have them. It's lacking things like adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, front parking sensors, keyless entry (I don't mean the push button remote kind, but the walk up to the door and it automatically opens kind) and keyless start, panoramic sunroof, 4-zone climate control, self parking etc. I can think of cars that are cheaper or about the same price as the G6E that has the above features bar the 4-zone climate control.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #40
EFinSilver

Ecoboost is pretty amazing, glad to hear its doing well from the opinions of magazines, now for the advertising and a sales increase!
EFinSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I reckon if you won lotto you would complain that you had to go to the bank to pick the money up......
LOL
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #42
Cobalt Blue
Starter Motor

We can talk about all the gizmos that the G6E may lack, but the most galling thing is how many passengers in my 2010 G6 50th Anniversary comment on how tinny the car sounds, especially going over loose stones or mud. It's a great car to drive, but perceptions like "tinniness" can be a sales killer for other persons, particularly prestige buyers. To be honest my old XY Falcon 500 sounded better over the rougher stuff. Would it be possible to add some form of a wheel arch or floorpan sound deadener, like plastic or synthetic rubber to the FG?
Cobalt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #43
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue
Would it be possible to add some form of a wheel arch or floorpan sound deadener, like plastic or synthetic rubber to the FG?
FG MKII had a lot of sound deadening added, so maybe a lot of this "tinnyness" is gone now. I didn't notice any when I test drove an Ecoboost XT, but maybe I was enjoying the drive too much
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #44
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Advertise in more well to do magazines that you get a free bottle of wine with every G6E Ecoboost test drive. Sponsor Golf Days and have a few on display. Get bums in seats.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #45
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Advertise in more well to do magazines that you get a free bottle of wine with every G6E Ecoboost test drive. Sponsor Golf Days and have a few on display. Get bums in seats.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
It's an excellent result for Ford, the G6E Ecoboost might strike a nice niche of buyers who love luxury but not the price...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Korean bum dragger.
Or maybe 99% of people don't give a fat rats *** which end the motor turns, I don't.

The problem Ford has, is their cars have a Ford badge on the front of them, they have a real negative perception because uncle Dave's twice removed gay cousin's 1988 EA Falcon blew a head gasket or something, and perception is what sells cars.

Buying a car doesn't involve logic, it involes emotion.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #48
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

When you think about, the EcoBoost engine is THE MOST ADVANCED engine EVER fitted to a Aussie built car. That would make a good advertising punch line in my opinion.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #49
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue
We can talk about all the gizmos that the G6E may lack, but the most galling thing is how many passengers in my 2010 G6 50th Anniversary comment on how tinny the car sounds, especially going over loose stones or mud. It's a great car to drive, but perceptions like "tinniness" can be a sales killer for other persons, particularly prestige buyers. To be honest my old XY Falcon 500 sounded better over the rougher stuff. Would it be possible to add some form of a wheel arch or floorpan sound deadener, like plastic or synthetic rubber to the FG?
Wow my XR50 is quiet as! The only thing I hear is tyre roar on some surfaces but nothing tinny. If you want tinny, check out a MY99 WRX. Now that was a tin can on wheels. Albeit a fast tin can.

Ford need to advertise this Ecoboost and fast!
Old 17-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #50
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought this mag as I needed something to read while doing nothing but lazying around in the sun on a Sunday. Great to read this sort of comparison. I don't think it was done to compare brands, it was done to show there is still a market for 4cyl large vehicles and our last local version was a s*itbox. I think most Australians will think a 4cyl in a large car won't work, when it has overseas for many years. This article is trying to get aussies to give this set up and second chance, we are in 2012 after all, a lot has changed.

I agree with them in the end, if you don't need to tow, I'd buy and ecoboost not the I6 (as much as a love the 6) there are too many pros that come with the EB4 not to choose it.
Old 17-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #51
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
his article is trying to get aussies to give this set up and second chance, we are in 2012 after all, a lot has changed.
You just have to look at Fords FB page or even here to see Ford has a massive battle on their hands even though the product is top class.

Now Im sure some on FB and here seem just keen to stir the pot, but there are some (many) that are too thick to open their minds to anything else...even though they are not forced to purchase a 4 pot Falcon they seem keen to bring it down..

Normally you would call it jealousy, maybe envy, dont know..maybe some are worried that a EB4 will hose their I6 or even V8. Whatever the reason its sad.

I think its a great car and a really good move.

What I want to know is that if this car was built with GovCo in mind to met their purchasing requirements then how many have been sold to them and whats in the pipeline. No point propping up the locals with "incentives" if you are not going to buy the cars at all.

All the greeny and cylinder count hurdles are met with this car, and AFAIK GMH dont have a real competitor other than the Cruze...surely a decision between those cars wouldnt be difficult.

Walk the walk Gov!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #52
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They were all autos.. the Audi / Merc were both 7 speeds. Both slower then the Falcon, and also pulled up slower then the Falcon...

There needs to be alot more said about the Ecoboost Falcon, in particular the G6E... If you ask me its a world class car let down by a few shortcomings.
The shortcomings are Ford failing to capatilise on this and advertise the facts!
Old 18-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #53
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really isn't getting the credit it deserves, we have a bunch of G6 limited's in stock EB4 and I6 and guess what we have sold out in..
Old 18-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #54
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It really isn't getting the credit it deserves, we have a bunch of G6 limited's in stock EB4 and I6 and guess what we have sold out in..
Just for me, as I'm not the smartest pencil in the box, which one did you sold out of??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #55
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Just for me, as I'm not the smartest pencil in the box, which one did you sold out of??
EB4, its now dealer stock only for me if I want to find a customer a vehicle. I really hope Ford still go along the lines of the G6 limited regarding content. Retail buyers will not be interested in XT, G6. Hence my argument for an XR in EB4, or an SR, or something along those lines. But what would I know!
Old 18-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #56
BaraFGXR6

Im still waiting to see what the aftermarket scene is going to do to this engine. It is just under what power i would want in a new car - in saying that - an i6 is just a little too much power for my everyday use (oh noes, too much power..)

I think if it can squeeze out around the 220-230kw mark from factory then it would be a good seller due to it sitting nicely in between the current i6 and xr6t. Would still give that nice turbo rush without burning points everytime you want to feel it. Best of all is it would be in a family size car!
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

hahahhahah LOL . im not sure your from australia . over here driving a demo car is frowned upon , and dealers dont want you to drive them , they kind of have an anti sales formula in australia . a lot of dealers actually talk people out of buying a car . and when you test drive a car or ask for a test drive , it's kind of like asking your neighbour if you can borrow thier new merc for the weekend because your going to party and you want to show up in style . not much chance your neighbour is going to throw t you the keys .
A FREE BOTTLE OF WINE
Old 18-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #58
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
EB4, its now dealer stock only for me if I want to find a customer a vehicle. I really hope Ford still go along the lines of the G6 limited regarding content. Retail buyers will not be interested in XT, G6. Hence my argument for an XR in EB4, or an SR, or something along those lines. But what would I know!
That is good news about EB4, let’s hope it continues to grow with non limited ed versions!! So does that mean you have sold more EB4 than I6 in the limited ed version model? I do agree they need an XR verison of EB4
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
gtfpv
GT

OK TO TELL you the truth . i'm a little concerned at the $100 per week fuel bill in my XR6 , and also the $100 per week fuel bill in MY GT .
AS YOU KNOW THE XR6 IS LEASED , now when it comes off lease , i'm thinking of buying it , as the FBT laws Absolutely screw you over if you re lease your car .
I have found myself in this situation , i 1st leased a NEW XR6 , cause i could drive a brand new car for the cost of A 5 YEAR OLD 2ND HAND ONE , . NOW , to re lease it is like driving a 2nd hand car at the cost of a new one almost .
so either way , now the car is going to cost no matter what i do , so what do i do ? i can sell the car and LEASE ANOTHER BRAN NEWY , but hang on , the govt has changed FBT laws , so my payments will now go from currently , $240 PW NET , to $280 pw net . NOT REALLY MUCH CHEAPER THAN BYINT new car privately . NOW I DONT KNOW ABOUT OTHERS , BUT I'M RUNNING 2 CARS . paying $280 pw week indefinately for one car , isnt exactly my idea of a great life , infact its like a 2nd mortgage , so when one does something , they want to see long term benifits . in other words your car should get cheaper over time . sooo
. i'll have to cop the cost of buying the xr6 and then running it out for its life , but it will still cost atleast $100 per week , each and every week in petrol .
forget LPG . that's dead and buried now and sales statistics back that up .
leasing wont be far off .
so. really with economic options out there like cheaper cars and suv's with around 7 litres per hundred after paying less for the car , this makes people look for cheaper options.
the 4cyl falcon , believe it of not is going to be the only option , if ford wants to compete for price . , they are going to have to do better though paying the same price for the 4cyl as the 6 cyl people just wont cop .
perhaps if a 4cyl falcon costs less than the 6 in price , and then less to run in fuel , i would definately consider getting rid of my xr6 and replaceing with a new lease 4cyl falcon , if ford cant market this fact , when people can type it on a keyboard on a forum here who dont sell cars to buyers .
WE are the buyers , THEY HAD BETTER START SELLING THIER PRODUCT
Because the GOVT have done them NO favours .
Old 18-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Wheels loved it, and Motor do too.

But Ford think they don't need to tell people about it, because it will sell itself, to the tune of 4 a day.

Well done Ford, masters of building good products and telling no one.

Advertise the damn thing and give it a chance to succeed the way it should FFS.
I had discussions about this on inside, and the line I get is that they will limit production until they can see a swing in the perception issues of a 4cyl Falcon. So this tells us that they are aware of the challenges with a 4cyl Falcon and don't want to over produce until they think they will move them quick enough.

An ecoboost campaign will be commencing shortly, this week or next. Don't think it's the conventional TV type thing though.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post