Old 31-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Why you don't do donuts on grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
There really should be fire marshalls at any car event
I agree.....but it wasn't a car event it was a B&S Ball.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 31-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moron's + booze + car's = trouble!.........nothing else needs to be said

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 31-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
If you don't feel sorry for this fella you must be a right heartless SOB and more words that the forums block me from saying. Or were you 50 years old at age 17 and never had any fun in your life. Wowser tossbags
I think you are taking it a bit to far mate

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Old 31-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the words of Mrs. Gump, 'stupid is as stupid does'. A two week old car with a burnt out clutch, sounds like more than just parking in long grass.
Old 31-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

being a farm boy i have always been told from a very young age that you dont drive cars with Cats in paddocks with grass....it doesnt even need to be long, short grass can find its way around your cats while driving and you dont need to be reving or doing burnouts for it to catch fire just normal driving will do it
this is why all farmers have diesel cars/utes that travel in paddocks

feel sorry for the bloke and with everyone around not doing **** to help

and it was put up there he wasnt even doing burnouts people, you guys with bagging him are just ******..it could happen to you
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
Old 31-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I agree.....but it wasn't a car event it was a B&S Ball.....
Your right its an insult to call it a car event. Actually I did see a fire marshall it was the guy tipping his VB on the flames
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 31-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #37
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh! dear!......I'm a wowser tossbag as well because when I seen the flick I simply smiled and thought "serves you right"

and come to think of it I was 50 at 17.....I'd already had 5 years of work under my belt at 17.....owned my own car, repaired and modified my own car which I relied on to get me to and from work and would never abuse

I had my semi license and around $12,000 in the bank by that stage and looking at houses

I wonder what these folks had in mind at this age, well apart from getting drunk and going stupid, which I guess is a "life goal achievement" for some

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 31-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #38
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Nobody said he was doing doughtnuts, do you even know it was male? Some lookers on said he was revving it on the way in like everyone else there was doing. And the poor fella was young and didn't know better.... Seriously, and guys hope his insurance doesn't let him claim. Man some of you guys must be so damn perfect...
Old 31-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Im no commodore fan but that is not a good look,i would have cried
If he wasnt being stupid i feel for the bloke,not much but i do feel for the poor bastard.
Quick move the eskies!
$2 in the swear jar for me,i said commodore
Old 31-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #40
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although I do feel sorry for the bloke, and couldn't help but have a chuckle around the 9 minute mark, where you hear a lady telling everyone to get back, and someone in the back ground says some not nice things.
Old 31-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would not have been to hard to push the car onto the already burn`t patch and save it , it`s hard to believe all those petrol heads and not one fire extinguisher, poor bloke..
Old 31-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Poor bugger I'd hate to have that happen to me.
Old 31-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #43
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
being a farm boy i have always been told from a very young age that you dont drive cars with Cats in paddocks with grass....it doesnt even need to be long, short grass can find its way around your cats while driving and you dont need to be reving or doing burnouts for it to catch fire just normal driving will do it
this is why all farmers have diesel cars/utes that travel in paddocks

feel sorry for the bloke and with everyone around not doing **** to help

and it was put up there he wasnt even doing burnouts people, you guys with bagging him are just ******..it could happen to you
I've been told from a young age to never stop a car on dry grass regardless if the car has a catalytic converter or not. I was told about one time an old Dodge caught fire after being parked in long grass from the hot exhaust pipe alone.

Also, I'm not sure where the assumption the ute in the video was doing burnouts came from though. The grass was extremely dry and it caused a widespread grass fire around it too, so yeah it can happen to anyone who parks their vehicle in grass that dry.
Old 31-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

At last some perspective.... You can tell the Current Affair / Today Tonight viewers and Alan Jones listeners can't you :-)
Old 31-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #45
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of arm chair experts on this thread.

Glad you guys haven't done anything stupid in your lives...

How's the weather up there in your ivory towers?
Old 31-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #46
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Okay Fellas...Let's all take a deep breathe and step back for a minute...

This is not about what you would/wouldn't do...It has already happened to the poor bloke...mistakes do get made...

Let's all move on
Old 31-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #47
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
it would not have been to hard to push the car onto the already burn`t patch and save it , it`s hard to believe all those petrol heads and not one fire extinguisher, poor bloke..
I do see two guys with mini fire extinguishers at the beginning, but those things are as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike. It looks as if they ran out of dry chemical power, thus they gave up attempting to fight the fire.
Old 31-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #48
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are lucky it didn't explode and hurt someone....

Bad luck really... They did try and put it out at least...

Anyone who has actually seen this type of grass burn will know how out of control it can get at a fast rate.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 31-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #49
AdamXR6

he stuffed up , poor bastard. hes 17 and no one has ever mentioned the problem with dry grass catching fire under your exhaust. guess some experts dont always pass on their supreme knowledge to the young blokes. hard way to learn though
2012 cool white px xlt ranger.
Old 31-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
XRDeeze
UTRIED

dam poor guy's pride and joy just gone.

talkin about an exhaust catching on fire, It was only a few days ago that happened to me! Ive only owned this catback for couple months, buts it's already "carboned" and looks liked ive owned it for years

anyways the exhaust for some reason kept banging against something every time I hit a bump on the road , so after getting annoyed with the noise, I just stuck a Piece of cloth under the pipe and tryed to wedge it in between the axle to stop it. nek minnit a few kays down the highway it caught on fire!!! embarrasing part was when a guy came beside me telling me my cars on fire, looked in the rear and sparks were flying down the road,shamed out I pulled off to a side street took it out with a bit of dust, I know I wont be doing that again. Lol

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
Old 31-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #51
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

That was totally hot.....
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 31-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #52
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad luck for the owner. But thankfully it was only a car that was lost. If it was any windier things could have been much worse. Fire can move like lightning through grass, and having bystanders around in shorts and thongs with alcohol involved is a recipe for disaster.
Old 31-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #53
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRDeeze
nek minnit
haha i'll pay that
Old 31-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #54
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
What the hell!
Someone's pride and joy going up in flames and people just walking past like nothing's happening?!
How stupid are people really?

That is the saddest thing I've seen... At 8:30 the fire really does get out of control. I'd be devastated!
That's what I'm more angry about... I guess we don't know the real details behind why the car was sitting there but to see a crowd of 20 something people not bothered to put their beer down to lend a hand is a joke.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 31-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #55
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
That's what I'm more angry about... I guess we don't know the real details behind why the car was sitting there but to see a crowd of 20 something people not bothered to put their beer down to lend a hand is a joke.....

Sadly most think its funnier to watch ... (too ****ed too)..
I had a commodore (true!) have its engine bay burst into flames in front of me a few yrs ago at the lights. Everyone behind me just drove around us... no one stopped...

The younger driver and his pregnant wife got out quickly and the fire put it self out as we didnt open the bonnet.

Firies found the problem was its was ****ing fuel from an cracked injector all over the engine... car stalled as he put his foot down to take off.. so he tried cranking it and woofo! flames everywhere for a few tense seconds.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 31-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #56
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember a few years back a government Landcruiser going up in flames after it was parked in dry grass, in the end it caused a brushfire that burned a lot of land.
Old 31-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #57
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Waste of a fun car, and only two weeks old. Heartbreaking.

That bandwagon certainly filled up quickly.
Old 31-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #58
in_xcess

"Experience is the worst teacher. It gives us the test before the lesson!"

I think most have little sympathy for the outcome simply as it occurs at a B&S. Stupid behavour is part and parcel with the event - it's just a classic case of 'it's all fun and games until someone ...' insert preferred heartbreak here.

We've all done dumbarse things when we were young and when we were called 'knucklehead' as a result so be it... that's life and you take your medicine.

I just hope for the love of God that they saved the Festiva!
Old 31-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #59
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What do you expect from a the usual brain dead hicks that attend B&S's.

There's usually only a few brain cells between the lot of them.
Old 31-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #60
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What do you expect from a the usual brain dead hicks that attend B&S's.

There's usually only a few brain cells between the lot of them.
Ha, to be fair from my expierence they are a great bunch of guys, lots of alcohol, lots of guys, yet hardly any fights or arrests, women arnt harassed or assaulted. Great bunch of down to earth country Aussie boys.
Closed Thread