Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #31
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

umm, i just noticed something.... wheres the right wing on the AN124 in that pic???
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #32
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Not sure if its the AN124 or wateva but theres a big fukn Russian cargo aircraft that needs rockets to get it off the ground.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #33
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

ah....is it....a.....F*&%N' big plane? Damn that's a good size.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #34
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Any more information?

There's alot of big Russian planes, can't think of any all painted Black though, as being their only distinctive feature.

Tim

Antonov

it was like that (thx for the picture above)

No Idea why one of those would be at richmond though. I have also seen one at Amberly

No Markings apart from some letters in Russian and no Rego Number

Last edited by james; 01-06-2005 at 09:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA_Bender
umm, i just noticed something.... wheres the right wing on the AN124 in that pic???
Yeah.. I just noticed that.. thats odd. Funny though, that other little plane in the pic.. isn't that like a 767? lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Not sure if its the AN124 or wateva but theres a big fukn Russian cargo aircraft that needs rockets to get it off the ground.
What do you mean? The AN225 Mriya is the biggest plane in the world, and it doesn't need "rockets" to get it off the ground. Its got 6 engines that produce 51,590lbs of thrust each... that's 309,540lbs of thrust all up.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #36
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Timmeh,is spot on and the Antonovs look nothing like like the Boeing,have been over them and they are one noisey aircraft.
Especially when they park right outside your fire station and refuse to shutdown totally because they are on a war footing.

Timmeh,i doubt the RAAF will get these in the next 15/20 years they can't afford it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did anyone here watch that beyond tomorrow show on 7. Pretty nice plane on the show the Airbus A380. this mofo is so big they cant transport the parts to build it by truck or plane. Absolutely huge.

Check it http://home.i-cable.com/dick_ming/im...A380-841.2.jpg
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #38
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Did anyone here watch that beyond tomorrow show on 7. Pretty nice plane on the show the Airbus A380. this mofo is so big they cant transport the parts to build it by truck or plane. Absolutely huge.

Check it http://home.i-cable.com/dick_ming/im...A380-841.2.jpg
And Melbourne Tullarmarine airport is the only one capable to land one of these new Airbus in Australia at this stage.
They just spend millions on widening the runways so they could handle these huge planes in the future,good planning i say.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #39
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Yeah.. I just noticed that.. thats odd. Funny though, that other little plane in the pic.. isn't that like a 767? lol...
No, not a 767, an Airbus A321, in fact. Have a closer look Steffo... :

As for the A380, it doesn't interest me at all. I've never been a fan of the Airbus flight deck design/flight control philosophy, period.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-06-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #40
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Antonov

it was like that (thx for the picture above)

No Idea why one of those would be at richmond though. I have also seen one at Amberly

No Markings apart from some letters in Russian and no Rego Number
You'll find that the AN-124's are operated on charter by Volga Dnepr Heavy Lift. The Australian military does hire their services from time to time.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #41
james

pretty cool plane, seen some cool planes take off from richmond.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #42
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
What do you mean? The AN225 Mriya is the biggest plane in the world, and it doesn't need "rockets" to get it off the ground. Its got 6 engines that produce 51,590lbs of thrust each... that's 309,540lbs of thrust all up.
It has been fitted with rockets previously for a shorter field takeoff at a higher weight.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #43
Aussie Pete

A C17 replacing a Hercules??? Umm, don't think so. Two totally different roles and purposes. The Herc is a STOAL (Short Take Off And Landing) and is a more utilitarian airplane. The Australian Forces will not be getting C17 as they have Hercules, Orion (I hear these will get ANOTHER refit versus going MMA or similar), and soon the unproven A330 Tanker/Combi.

The A380 is a great airplane but it makes little sense because despite its size it is limited by certification and will never be allowed to carry the purported 800 pax. And it's economies are false because new mid size airplanes offer such great efficiencies that point-to-point flying will be just as cheap (versus hubbing).

For a look into the REAL future go here:

www.newairplane.com

A totally new way and age of thinking in building passenger airplanes.

AP>
Old 02-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #44
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
A C17 replacing a Hercules??? Umm, don't think so. Two totally different roles and purposes. The Herc is a STOAL (Short Take Off And Landing) and is a more utilitarian airplane. The Australian Forces will not be getting C17 as they have Hercules, Orion (I hear these will get ANOTHER refit versus going MMA or similar), and soon the unproven A330 Tanker/Combi.

The A380 is a great airplane but it makes little sense because despite its size it is limited by certification and will never be allowed to carry the purported 800 pax. And it's economies are false because new mid size airplanes offer such great efficiencies that point-to-point flying will be just as cheap (versus hubbing).

www.newairplane.com

AP>
Some people just don't beleive a thing I post, despite being in the very trade in question here.

I have seen with my own eyes some proposals to re structure the RAAFs transport fleet with a limited number of C-17s alongside the J model Hercules, for when the H model Hercs get retired. That's all I said. It's not a go ahead, it is a 'proposal'. Of course they aren't the same thing, that's why it's called a re-structure.

And to even name the Orion in the same fleet as the Hercules and possibly the C-17 highlights that more knowledge of aircraft roles is required here, especially before people blindly dismiss what other people say.

And I'd just like to point out that the C-17 is a Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) Utility Aircraft that can operate out of semi prepared airfields, just like the J model Hercules.

Edit: AP - I respect your opinion, and have dulled down my reply somewhat, but I stand by what I said, I have seen proposals to run a small fleet of C-17s alongside the J model Hercs, and I stand by what I have posted above. I do think C-17s are highly unlikely, and in fact put money on the fact the RAAF can't afford it.

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 02-06-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I take your word for it. If you didnt know what your talking bout then you wouldnt have the job.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #46
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:

www.newairplane.com

AP>
Thats just Boeing isnt it? is there one with different manufactuers of planes, I have to admit its not me interested...
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #47
highlander_69r
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman Sam
No offence but what qualifies you to judge out:

By the way there's two of these suckers, so there :hihi:

i find it amusing that you can tell that the sas are loading stuff onto this aircraft let alone u can identify them from any other infintry unit , let me guess they all wear black.if by some small chance u do know that it is the sas were you get the info on were they goin
highlander_69r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #48
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander_69r
i find it amusing that you can tell that the sas are loading stuff onto this aircraft let alone u can identify them from any other infintry unit , let me guess they all wear black.if by some small chance u do know that it is the sas were you get the info on were they goin
It was on the 6 oclock news. At the same time it had the opposition party shouting out how it was a disgrace that the US needs to fly NZ men there. Fair nuff. The NZ plane (note singular not plural) would probably break down anyway. A 1970s Hercules I think.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #49
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander_69r
_
Pull your head in tosser, it was reported in the newspaper, TV & Radio. I suggest if you have no idea what your talking about you keep it zipped :

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #50
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Getting nasty guys, dont let the thread turn for the worse, its a good one!
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #51
Spaniard

I love that picture! I want to get that in a poster now and hang it on my wall!
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #52
Aussie Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Some people just don't beleive a thing I post, despite being in the very trade in question here.

I have seen with my own eyes some proposals to re structure the RAAFs transport fleet with a limited number of C-17s alongside the J model Hercules, for when the H model Hercs get retired. That's all I said. It's not a go ahead, it is a 'proposal'. Of course they aren't the same thing, that's why it's called a re-structure.

And to even name the Orion in the same fleet as the Hercules and possibly the C-17 highlights that more knowledge of aircraft roles is required here, especially before people blindly dismiss what other people say.

And I'd just like to point out that the C-17 is a Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) Utility Aircraft that can operate out of semi prepared airfields, just like the J model Hercules.

Edit: AP - I respect your opinion, and have dulled down my reply somewhat, but I stand by what I said, I have seen proposals to run a small fleet of C-17s alongside the J model Hercs, and I stand by what I have posted above. I do think C-17s are highly unlikely, and in fact put money on the fact the RAAF can't afford it.

Tim
I didn't say I didn't believe you. I was just saying that I'd be very happy if the C17 was on the shopping cart over here but I'd put money on it never getting the gong.

It's a fantastic airplane. The C17 takes around 3000ft for takeoff and can carry around 160,000lbs payload so it's not entirely going to do what a Herc does. It would be like running a 777 between Canberra and Sydney.

On the issue of proposals, and knowing your job role, I would have thought that information on actual proposals should be classified. That's why I wouldn't personally comment on fleet plan nor choice with reference to specific proposals or documents.

As for Orions, well they were mentioned but of course C17 etc is totally unrelated (that's why I mentioned Boeing MMA).

Regards,
AP>
Old 09-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #53
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
On the issue of proposals, and knowing your job role, I would have thought that information on actual proposals should be classified. That's why I wouldn't personally comment on fleet plan nor choice with reference to specific proposals or documents.
You're right, my job role is to train pilots to fly the Hornet, not air force purchasing. The documents I have seen are unclassified Boeing literature that we get spammed with to promote the ideas in our obviously influential heads that the C-17 would make a good replacement for the H models, and the different setups we could have.

I fear the consequences all too much to say anything that was not generally available to the public. Lightning may strike me down!

Tim
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #54
One Drone
Lane HO

You don't happen to know the Leonard brothers do you Timmeh?
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #55
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Umm not by that name if I do?

Tim
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 AM   #56
One Drone
Lane HO

Andrew Leonard, last I heard he was training to be an FA-18 pilot. His elder brother was already one.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post