Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #31
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Smash repairer debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Well it was there for 8 days. Move it at least twice a day = 16 times... 1.6 km = 100 metres a move... Very plausible!
Which is what I was thinking.

for example if they keep the car in the workshops at night, but move them out to make room to work during the day. Then during the day from one area to another as required.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 22-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Which is what I was thinking.

for example if they keep the car in the workshops at night, but move them out to make room to work during the day. Then during the day from one area to another as required.

Which is what they do.

My only gripe would be the runs in the paint. The rest has been blown out of proportion.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8hsv View Post
You sound like the customer from hell mate your a knob 1.6k even if they did get lunch in your car big deal if you came back to me sooking about that I'd take to your car with a ball Paine hammer to restore the dents it came in with and show ya the door
I was digressing to the point that GhiaEB made about using a customer's car to get lunch. I'm prepared to accept the added mileage if there is a reasonable explanation for it, and that reasonable explanation has been offered in the form of moving the car in and around the workshop for 8 days. That's fine. Part of the reason for this thread was to get an understanding of what happens in the panel beating industry. I know nothing about it, and that's why I looked for input from people in the industry or have knowledge of it.

I'm expecting a response from the smash repairer about my specific case, though. The manager agreed with me that it was 'unusual' and promised to investigate.

Interesting to note that some people think it's ok to use a customer's car to do a lunch/parts run.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 23-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #34
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, it's certainly not ok to use a customers car for lunch deliveries.

Please bare in mind a couple things. If you are so particular about your car, why wasn't the pre existing damage repaired earlier? Why didn't you opt to have it done at he same time? What other damage is evident?
Why are you boasting about getting it done for free? Because the insurance company have the repairer over a barrel because the insurer just want you out of thier hair?

I'll go out on a limb here and say you've probably gained repairs done under the claim that weren't accident related?

Seeing your admission of being over protective of your car, how many times did you make contact with the shop 'to see if it's on track'?

I think there is more to this story...
Old 23-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #35
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
If you are so particular about your car, why wasn't the pre existing damage repaired earlier?
I had plans to get it fixed soon ... before this accident happened.

Quote:
Why didn't you opt to have it done at he same time? What other damage is evident?
Why are you boasting about getting it done for free? Because the insurance company have the repairer over a barrel because the insurer just want you out of thier hair?
I didn't opt to have it done at the same time because it wasn't part of the accident related damage. To put it on the claim would constitute insurance fraud. I have not contacted the insurance company at this stage. I only contacted the smash repairer in question who offered of their own accord to have the pre-existing damage fixed as a gesture of goodwill. I'm not sure how that's 'boasting'.

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb here and say you've probably gained repairs done under the claim that weren't accident related?
No.

Quote:
Seeing your admission of being over protective of your car, how many times did you make contact with the shop 'to see if it's on track'?
Once. On Day 6. Make that twice if you include the call I made on Day 8 to find out what time I can pick up the car.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 23-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting.
Old 23-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #37
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You sound like the customer from hell mate your a knob 1.6k even if they did get lunch in your car big deal if you came back to me sooking about that I'd take to your car with a ball Paine hammer to restore the dents it came in with and show ya the door
Theres no way I'd take anything to you mate you sound like knob yourself!
Old 23-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
Sprint347
Tickford

Don't worry, maybe the rear wheels travelled 1.6km but the car itself remained stationary
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
5 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347 View Post
Don't worry, maybe the rear wheels travelled 1.6km but the car itself remained stationary
LOL, Maybe check for black marks out the front.
Old 23-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #40
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
You sound like a knob mate. You would take to someone else's car with a hammer? Why because they returned the car with paint runs? Or they questioned the extra 1.6kays? Maybe if you explained the distance traveled rationally they would accept it. Or you may need to explain why you used their car as a parts getter for a few days.

1.6kms is nothing has been explained by others, it is either 1 800mtr return trip or many short distance movements, There are a few different trades in a panel beaters. You have beaters sprayers and fitters. So you are looking at 3 different shops in the one place and the car may move from being stripped, to the panel shop, then moved to paint and finally been refitted. Add all the times it was moved out front or moved to fit all the cars back in the factory at the end of the day. Some times it felt
like playing Tetris at the end of the day.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.

Last edited by GhiaEB; 23-01-2013 at 06:07 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Thanks for making the smash repair trade sound like a bunch of knuckle dragging nethanderals...the industry has bad enough puplic perseption already without half-wits like you carrying on like that.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 23-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #42
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

That's no good. The runs are unacceptable and having it for 8 days should have been ample time unless of course they were booked to the "hilt", but in that case they should not have taken the job risking shortcuts. Quality takes time but runs are due to poor technique, bad spray gun, too thin paint or low pressure at the gun. Its not about time when it comes to runs in the clear coat or base coat that's for sure. The dust must be due to leaving windows or doors open over time and you have either collected all the sanding from your car or all the cars worked on in the workshop.
Old 24-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #43
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve View Post
having it for 8 days should have been ample time unless of course they were booked to the "hilt", but in that case they should not have taken the job risking shortcuts. Quality takes time but runs are due to poor technique, bad spray gun, too thin paint or low pressure at the gun.
You're a spray painter or shop manager/owner are you?
Old 24-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 8 days sounds pretty good to me, had some experience with quiet a few panel shops over the years, as dear old step dad was a qualified beater and towy.
i`d say your lucky to get it back in less than two weeks.
Old 26-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #45
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

Why badmax do you think that thats how a job should end up like? Give them 10 weeks and the runs will still be there. Give them two years the runs will still be there! Its poor spray painting practice. Not about time. And yes I can use a spray gun to perfection. 35 years experience helps eliminating that sort of a job. Ive never had runs like that!
Old 26-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #46
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wrong topic

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 26-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #47
Itsme
Experienced Member

I had a car returned once from the beaters not up to the condition it should have been, spoke to the manager about it and rectified next day.... Just pays to inquire and give them a chance to respond.
Old 28-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #48
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve View Post
Why badmax do you think that thats how a job should end up like? Give them 10 weeks and the runs will still be there. Give them two years the runs will still be there! Its poor spray painting practice. Not about time. And yes I can use a spray gun to perfection. 35 years experience helps eliminating that sort of a job. Ive never had runs like that!
Pardon? Where exactly did I state the job was acceptable? Are you making up porkie pies?
I did in fact say 8 days sounds about right, I don't know how they schedule work loads, but seems about right.

Use a gun to perfection? And you've never had a run? I'd like to see one of these 'perfect' paint jobs you talk yourself up about.

So you didn't answer the question if you're a tradesman painter doing it every day and potentialy several hundred repairs a year.
Old 28-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I think this thread has run its course. It's not ending well.
Closed Thread