Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: cops using camo nets to hide behind! In ...VIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880 View Post
I'm happy with this type of enforcement getting speeding morons on bikes off the road

I think you have been watching too much TV. Speeding morons? It just goes to show how effective the government advertising budgets have been in convincing us that we need to be protected from ourselves, that we are simply one speeding ticket away from total anarchy and chaos on the roads.

In reality Australia has one of the slowest and most sedate driving populations on the planet. You fly back from Europe, Asia and the Americas and drive from an Australian airport and it honestly feels like everything is in slow motion it is borderline embarassing. As my French colleague says while he was here 'there must be nothing but grandmothers on the road'.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
oh yeah?! show me the proof?! Where? Show me 1!??
I have been given a few speeding fines in my younger days. After about the fourth time I lost points and had to pay an over $300 fine, I learnt my lesson. The police might have just saved the public from my stupid actions. There's the proof.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #33
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you miss the point, the area was used as a race track. Idoits proved this with footage that makes its way onto acurrent affair. They where there to CATCH these people not slow them down.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I can accept that driving within the speed limit does make the roads safer especially in residential areas with narrow streets, schools and kids on bikes.
I believe the road toll deaths have leveled out due to better vehicle safety systems than anything else.

The figures for serious injuries I am unaware of but I know about the lingering effects on life of traffic crash injuries and I'II bet just as many are caused by other factors than just speed.
I myself am not keen on hiding in the bushes to catch speeding drivers and would be disappointed if this became common practice.
cheers
Bill.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #35
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I think you have been watching too much TV. Speeding morons? It just goes to show how effective the government advertising budgets have been in convincing us that we need to be protected from ourselves, that we are simply one speeding ticket away from total anarchy and chaos on the roads.

In reality Australia has one of the slowest and most sedate driving populations on the planet. You fly back from Europe, Asia and the Americas and drive from an Australian airport and it honestly feels like everything is in slow motion it is borderline embarassing. As my French colleague says while he was here 'there must be nothing but grandmothers on the road'.
I just had some friends out from the UK, they cannot believe how slow it is here! And one of them is a middle aged lady. My wife is french, and her parents also cant believe how SLOW it is here! She says "Why cant cars go faster than these huge trucks? Why can the trucks drive along in the passing lane? There are no corners....the roads are straight...

hmm, yes Why is it that we are targeted on the safe straight parts of a road for speeding?!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0iXnz2FO4
Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I just had some friends out from the UK, they cannot believe how slow it is here! And one of them is a middle aged lady. My wife is french, and her parents also cant believe how SLOW it is here! She says "Why cant cars go faster than these huge trucks? Why can the trucks drive along in the passing lane? There are no corners....the roads are straight...

hmm, yes Why is it that we are targeted on the safe straight parts of a road for speeding?!
I knew someone from Norway and the first speeding ticket she ever had in her life was in Melbourne when she was here visiting family. And when they are driving on our highways they are generally perplexed with our huge distances and low traffic density that we arnt driving as fast or faster than the rest of the world.

What makes it worst is that we dont have snow or ice like a lot of Europe and North America, yet our limits are still really low.

Funny driving along a ice and snow covered highway in Europe and seeing a '130' speed limit sign.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
I really hate comments like this!!

All I'm going to say on this topic. You can bet your sweet **** they have saved 100's hundreds lives over the years by giving people speeding fines!!
I really hate people that swallow all the bull the road safety industry perpetuates. It is all a big gravy train with the researchers getting more grants by giving the government the results or data they want, more flash dinners and meetings and forums, between 5 star hotels and dinners, and trips to corporate boxes at the footy (I have witnessed all this first hand), as they go around perpetuating their own industry. Then TAC and the like spent millions on advertising so the media etc. follow their line too..... It is pathetic.
8 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #39
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you're out on a beautiful Sunday morning on a family outing in the GT. Cruising along the Black Spur the car is humming along beautifully, the kids are marveling at the scenery and your wife gives you that priceless nod of approval that the purchase of this car really was a great idea.

You ease into a nice right hander, and in what seems like slow motion your gut begins to knot and your eyes widen as the image of an out of control sports bike seem to fill your windscreen. You have nowhere to go and nor does the terrified rider.

The last thing you recall is the the millisecond before the impact. Surely not - 'this is my family - this can't happen to us!

Now tell me if you reckon these idiots should be allowed to use this road as their personal Phillip Island every week-end and the coppers should do nothing about it.

And before everyone flames me - I am a keen motorcyclist and have been since I bought my first new bike in 1976. The sports bikes on offer to the general public for the last 10 years or so are beyond the capabilities of many. These are the riders that are the problem group. Too many tossers out there are turning 50 and buying an R1 or a Fireblade when the last thing they rode was their mate's Kawasaki Z650 in 1981.

There's a time and a place.

Russ
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Mate, there is a difference between speeding and using the road as a race track.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #41
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I knew someone from Norway and the first speeding ticket she ever had in her life was in Melbourne when she was here visiting family. And when they are driving on our highways they are generally perplexed with our huge distances and low traffic density that we arnt driving as fast or faster than the rest of the world.

What makes it worst is that we dont have snow or ice like a lot of Europe and North America, yet our limits are still really low.

Funny driving along a ice and snow covered highway in Europe and seeing a '130' speed limit sign.
if the speed limit was 200kph people would do 300kph
check the vid I found on you tube (I typed in aca hoon motorbike)
Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Yep there are a lot of squids on the Spur. I avoid it on weekend not only because of the police and traffic, but also because there are people on sportsbikes that are under the false illusion that they can ride them, when in reality they would be faster and safer on something with a third of the power. Darwin's theory at work really at the end of the day... But funnily enough as pacman mentioned, it is more the older riders that are dying on bikes these days...

Last edited by mcnews; 11-02-2013 at 11:46 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

[QUOTE=roberts;4625777]if the speed limit was 200kph people would do 300kph
check the vid I found on you tube (I typed in aca hoon motorbike)[/QUOTE]

There's your problem

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #44
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=FPV+fteT3;4625786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
check the vid I found on you tube (I typed in aca hoon motorbike)[/QUOTE]

There's your problem
I also typed in motorbike during the speed limit, but nothing came up
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #45
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Because "doing the speed limit" isn't a key word. Hoon is.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #46
mcnews
Trev

Okay 'Roberts', so you are just a bike hater, go away your opinion is moot.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #47
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Okay 'Roberts', so you are just a bike hater, go away your opinion is moot.
not a hater tinker toy, just an observation
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #48
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Your observation is only taking a fraction of a percent, too.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
check the vid I found on you tube (I typed in aca hoon motorbike)
You have evidence of this?

Up until 2007 NT had no speed limit. People drove at the speed at which they felt comfortable.

There were some that were trying vMax but these were almost ALL visitors from other states where speed limits were low and in almost all cases after one run at high speed settled back to what was comfortable.

In 2007 a spped limit was introduced. The road toll did not drop, in fact it increased by more than 50%. This did not appear on mainstream media. I wonder why? Open zones will be back shortly as the NT people have worked out that the brainwashing from the southerners was, in fact, all lies.

Now that is REAL and ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

It is amusing to watch just how upset do-gooders get when reality contradicts their theories and follow them trying to explain how reality is WRONG........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Desperate times...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #51
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I felt quite safe driving at 80mph in America and 130km/hr in Britain..I know our roads are crap in QLD, but some roads the speed is set too low....
Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #52
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the video is evidence
comparing nt outback roads to Victoria's is like comparing the autobarn to a go cart track
Old 11-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #53
Dave3911

I really don't understand why people believe everything written in the herald sun. This is not a speed camera. This operation involves two coppers sitting in a camouflaged location with a video camera (the 'only overtaking spot' as the anonymous informant points out is also great for mono's) and a radar gun. They then radio ahead to marked police units who pull over motorists at the safest opportunity. I can guarantee that your not getting people pulled over for 2 or 3 km/hr, like you get fined with a real, serco, camera. I very much doubt that many tickets, if any at all, were given for less than 15km/hr.

This is a police operation targeting extremely dangerous behaviour, especially by motorcycles.... anyone who's driven that road know that lots of motorcyclists treat it like their personal racetrack. Excessive speed, overtaking on double whites, popping monos are all regular occurances. Unfortunately, so are serious injury collisions between Healesville and Narbethong.

To be abundantly clear - this operation has NOTHING TO DO WITH SPEED CAMERAS
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #54
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911 View Post
I really don't understand why people believe everything written in the herald sun. This is not a speed camera. This operation involves two coppers sitting in a camouflaged location with a video camera (the 'only overtaking spot' as the anonymous informant points out is also great for mono's) and a radar gun. They then radio ahead to marked police units who pull over motorists at the safest opportunity. I can guarantee that your not getting people pulled over for 2 or 3 km/hr, like you get fined with a real, serco, camera. I very much doubt that many tickets, if any at all, were given for less than 15km/hr.

This is a police operation targeting extremely dangerous behaviour, especially by motorcycles.... anyone who's driven that road know that lots of motorcyclists treat it like their personal racetrack. Excessive speed, overtaking on double whites, popping monos are all regular occurances. Unfortunately, so are serious injury collisions between Healesville and Narbethong.

To be abundantly clear - this operation has NOTHING TO DO WITH SPEED CAMERAS
The thing is, this could become a regular practice if it's seen as profitable. This will not be the last we will see of this.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #55
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
The thing is, this could become a regular practice if it's seen as profitable. This will not be the last we will see of this.
They have been doing this operation since 2008 in Yarra Ranges and I remember reading briefing notes for a similar one down the great ocean road well before that. It's also common practice to set up unmarked ANPR vans along the freeway to catch multitudes of unaware unregistered, unlicensed and disqualified drivers who are then picked up further down the road by marked police units. Not to mention the hundreds of unmarked 'Q' cars that are on our roads every day. Or, lets compare to non road policing. Officers wear plain clothes to catch people doing all sorts of things, theft, drugs offences, the list goes on. I bet even a few of them have hidden in a bush a few times to catch a drug dealer..... oh the humanity!

Police concealing themselves to catch offenders, is regular practice. No need to get your knickers in a knot.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I'd say Mission Accomplished by the police.

Nobody who frequents any motoring forums is going to be speeding through there now.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #57
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
Yes ... the maths is indeed simple.

Furthermore, that reduced speed saves lives is self-evident to thinking people.

For those that 'oddly' ask for proof, I reply, the proof is in the endless accidents where people have been killed and maimed BECAUSE OF speed. That too is self evident, but perhaps some dont want 'to think of that side of the equation.
If you were one of these "thinking" types of people, you would realize of course all accidents happen because of speed. Any time an accident occurs, it is because one or more vehicles were moving. If it is moving, it must therefore do so at a particular speed (even if it's 1 km/h). It is still speed. Therefore to solve the problem for you lefties, let's make cars unmovable? Perhaps maybe you are trying to imply that accidents happen because people drive faster than the posted limit? Well people die in accidents travelling at speeds both above and below the limit. People also manage to drive without crashing, or crash without dying both below and above the limit. So really at the end of the day, all you have is rhetoric, which I can guarantee has never saved a life.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #58
LTDHO
The one and only

This really disgusts me. Now they hide behind camo netting?

Can Vic Pol get any lower?
(Not cop bashing, just incredibly disappointed)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #59
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I'd say Mission Accomplished by the police.
Aside from AFF drag weekend, there's no reason for our family to ever visit Vic for a holiday spending money to support to local economies. Victoria's zero tolerance to speed means 1 k over and they are helping themselves to my bank account.

Maybe this reason I prefer to go overseas or stay put in Canberra.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #60
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
So you're out on a beautiful Sunday morning on a family outing in the GT. Cruising along the Black Spur the car is humming along beautifully, the kids are marveling at the scenery and your wife gives you that priceless nod of approval that the purchase of this car really was a great idea.

You ease into a nice right hander, and in what seems like slow motion your gut begins to knot and your eyes widen as the image of an out of control sports bike seem to fill your windscreen. You have nowhere to go and nor does the terrified rider.

The last thing you recall is the the millisecond before the impact. Surely not - 'this is my family - this can't happen to us!

Now tell me if you reckon these idiots should be allowed to use this road as their personal Phillip Island every week-end and the coppers should do nothing about it.

And before everyone flames me - I am a keen motorcyclist and have been since I bought my first new bike in 1976. The sports bikes on offer to the general public for the last 10 years or so are beyond the capabilities of many. These are the riders that are the problem group. Too many tossers out there are turning 50 and buying an R1 or a Fireblade when the last thing they rode was their mate's Kawasaki Z650 in 1981.

There's a time and a place.

Russ
Damn right! People in cars NEVER speed on the spur. All those ricers with big exhausts and turbos are just out for a cruise with the family in the back seat.

Get those nasty motorbikes away!