Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Re: would you buy a g8e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I wouldn't buy any new Falcon unless they fix up the issue with the seat and steering wheel.

The seat is too damn high, the steering wheel is too low, and ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
Big Damo, just how Big are you?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

A G8E, a bit like this....

9 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Big Damo, just how Big are you?
185cm and 120kg

I just don't fit in B series and onwards Falcons, with the steering wheel at max height its awkward to get in as my thigh hits on the steering wheel and the seat just doesn't feel comfortable.

AFAIK these cars were supposed to be made for fat ****** like me, but my Fiesta and Focus are much more comfortable with lots of adjustment up/down on the seat and in/out/up/down on the steering wheel.

I make sure my seat is close enough to have a slight bend in my knee when the clutch is all the way in, thats how I set up my seat.

My EL Fairmont Ghia is fine though, haven't sat in an AU so I wouldn't know.

B series and onwards Falcons, I just can't get comfortable in the drivers seat.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
185cm and 120kg

I just don't fit in B series and onwards Falcons, with the steering wheel at max height its awkward to get in as my thigh hits on the steering wheel and the seat just doesn't feel comfortable.

AFAIK these cars were supposed to be made for fat ****** like me, but my Fiesta and Focus are much more comfortable with lots of adjustment up/down on the seat and in/out/up/down on the steering wheel.

Weird? Mate has now moved into the Falcon from the Commodore cos he had trouble fitting in and finds the Falcon much better! He is taller than you and about the same size.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #35
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some good points being made in this thread. I agree that right now it would be impossible to make a valid business case for a G8E, or an XR8.

Two main reasons that I can see;

The brilliance of the I6T - its difficult to market a car with a larger and thirstier engine that costs more to register than its underling, but is actually slower. That's the reason the B series V8 Ghias didn't sell - the 3V V8 was basically a boat anchor that was slaughtered by the turbo 6. The G8E and XR8 would at least need the 315kw engine from the GS.

The other big reason I can see is the success, or lack of it, of FPV. What would need to happen is the G8E and XR8 get the 315kw engine from the GS, then the GS and GT's would need to move up a notch with more power, more performance orientated features, and generally more bling. Its a simple arrangement that Holden and HSV have implemented very effectively. But the concern would be that the G8E and XR8 would eat into the FPV sales due to FPV's lack of standing in the market compared to HSV, and jeopardise the amortisation of the $40million that was spent developing the V8 in the first place.

So in summary the issues ruling out the G8E are; The I6T is too good, and too much was spent on making the S/C V8 too good.

First world problems hey...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #36
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

I bought a gt and never looked back. And I would not buy a g8e
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #37
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

But see there's the difference in consumer. I would buy a G6ET over a GT as they are povvo pack for the money and far from appealing to me. If I hadn't come from two F6s and wanted a change from the turbo six I would have bought a G6ET instead of GT-E, it would have had slippery diff and brakes before leaving the dealer though... The GT never got a look in, it was only GT-P and GT-E, I really wanted a manual, but in the end still went the GT-E as I like the interior and look so much better than the GT-P. A manual GT-E would be my perfect scenario, but they won't make you one.

Last edited by mcnews; 14-02-2013 at 11:17 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

So in my mind, a G8E would be a GS with a toned down body kit and fitted with the G6ET interior, kind of like a GS-E?
I have a strong suspicion that FPV looked at this business case and felt it too close to G6ET, no doubt Ford felt the same way...

The problem I have is that you couldn't offer a NA 5.0 as a no cost option on a G6ET, it defeats the whole purpose of the car.
and offering the 315 engine on a G6ET package equates to the GS-E I described above, a car that would probably cost
way more than $60,000, more like $68,000 or $70,000...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
jamies

As much as they are a nice car, I just couldn't justify the money. Its not all about the luxuries for me. They look to refined I like the aggressive look of the Gt's and Fpv utes.
jamies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #40
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Damn that looks fantastic trev. Although I may be more than a bit biased.
Old 14-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #41
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are many reasons why a V8 of any brand won't sell, we know that. What we need is someone at Ford to make one of the reasons why it will work and make it happen.

The way I see it is the Ford Falcon is dying but we still have it. So rather than wait until its dead then whinge that it's gone forever maybe build the best cars in both performance 6 and 8 Ford Australia has ever seen, then and go out on a high.
Until the last nail has been hit into the Ford Falcon coffin I think Ford should use what they have. If a G8E had a better package at a cheaper price than GT-E then lift the quality of GT-E, don't compromise quality of a G8E as it would sell very well at Calais V price.
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #42
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Needs stripes ...... and a bigger spoiler!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if a G8E was like that Trev, i certainly would`nt mind one, very very nice mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #44
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
if a G8E was like that Trev, i certainly would`nt mind one, very very nice mate.
Could buy 1 and change the badge .......

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #45
jmac

There is a reason the NA V8 doesnt exist anymore.
No one bought it because the 6T was cheaper, faster and uses less fuel.
Buy a G6ET or a GTE, both bases are already covered.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #46
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
185cm and 120kg

I make sure my seat is close enough to have a slight bend in my knee when the clutch is all the way in, thats how I set up my seat.

I am the same height as you,7kg heavier and i fit in my 2012 fg ute no worries.Only issue i think is the steering wheel doesnt line up with the centre of the seat and feels weird being off centre,my au has plenty of room and also my eb ghia,they are perfect for my size imo.
Mind you my ute is manual and if i have the seat set up to suit my driving style i have a little trouble getting in especially when wearing shoes(normally drive in thongs) easier to get in if the seat is right back.
They did stuff up the falcon seating position in the fg!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #47
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
There is a reason the NA V8 doesnt exist anymore.
No one bought it because the 6T was cheaper, faster and uses less fuel.
Buy a G6ET or a GTE, both bases are already covered.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Coyote N/A is a different kettle of fish though compared to the 5.4 ........ doing good in the states. Does well against the 3.5 EcoBoost

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #48
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
185cm and 120kg

Thanks for elaborating on that, it's a valid point you make.

I think from BA onwards Ford started putting airbags in the seats for the higher end models; fairlanes LTD's G6E's etc. I know when I have to clean under the seats with a vacuum cleaner there's quite a bit of gear under there; also the seat base motors too.

From my experience in the BA's and BF's, the seat is a lot higher than the FG's.

Quote: