Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #31
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: Holden SS-V Redline Ute vs FPV GT 335

The GT is a good car due mainly to its engine, but with final local Ford models coming up reckon that could really affect resale - may not be a great time to buy despite interest rate.

I suspect the Redline would be the better car to drive, albeit engine not as powerful. I don't like the look of the new Commodore, but apparently they are excellent cars and step up over VE.

Why not hold off and buy the Xr8, which could be an excellent value? Or get the FG F6? (albeit without an 8, if that is important to you)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Why are the payments so high?

A GT on the 2.9% deal for me was $1260 per month. That was 48 payments with 10% deposit on $64k.

I also got a quote on an SS ute and it came in at $34,500... Your Redline price seems excessive.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #33
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Our house payments are 400 per week and when i spend money on the house it actually makes it worth more...
The excitement of owning a new car soon wears off when you start taking it in for warranty work...
Geez im getting old and semi sensible
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #34
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Because ming????
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #35
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
For me the decider was comparing the two local dealers for Holden and Ford. The Ford dealer is worse and Ford haven't fixed their customer care, so went with the Holden.
Don't get this, so you would buy a TCL from Myer because the local Harvey Norman selling the superior Panasonic isn't as nice
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #36
Uwish

Its most likely a Lease with everything included ( Novated )
$1600pm.... Come on July ;)
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #37
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Quote:

A GT on the 2.9% deal for me was $1260 per month. That was 48 payments with 10% deposit on $64k.

I also got a quote on an SS ute and it came in at $34,500... Your Redline price seems excessive.
Sorry my bad, it is meant to be $1275 per month over four years for the GT, the Redline's finance is calculated at 51500 over four years also which equates to around $1240 per month, this is deducting the $6500 cash deposit I would have to put down for the GT, so I'm trying to even it out as best as possible. For the Redline I had tried 3 dealers one asking for 55k , another 53k and the current deal 51k all stock standard. I live in south-east QLD, so if anyone can recommend a certain dealer that too would be helpful. I drove both cars over a week ago and was impressed with each in their own right. The GT just had that instant raw power, whilst the Redline which still went pretty hard lacked the extra bite, although it's seats were more comfortable but the ride was firmer than the GT. Just to be sure are the GT seats the same as an XR6? I was not a fan of them after getting out of my XR6 ute after long trips.

Last edited by Nitroxr6ute; 14-01-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Nitroxr6ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Try Jason Price at motorama moorooka. For 63k I reckon you would get a Maloo. Holden's having a big 3 day sale starting tomorrow I think.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #39
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

$34 500 drive away? If so thats a pretty good price
Old 15-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #40
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Don't get this, so you would buy a TCL from Myer because the local Harvey Norman selling the superior Panasonic isn't as nice
First the Holden is not a TCL and thats a very unfair comparison. One vehicle is more modern and has more tech and one has a brilliant drive train. Neither is perfect.

That all said if you think that the local Harvey Norman can be garbage at everything, but will still be ok and has to make zero effort to be competitive, because they have a nice television brand, you are well qualified to hold a Ford franchise and equally qualified to be puzzled each month why it doesn't sell as many cars as the competition.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #41
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v View Post
gt because its a gt
Ok. How about GT-P because its a GT-P.
Old 15-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #42
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Could never understand this 'not buying a particular car because of the dealer' thing. You are't taking home the dealer? You don't have to like them? They give you a car, you take the car. If that is the car you want, why not buy it? Only have to deal with a dealer for a very short time. Would hate to compromise on a car because you didn't like the dealer. Having Fords for 30 years, I think I have been to a dealer a dozen or so times in this period. I have changed dealer because of nuffy syndrome from them or price but never have altered my mind in what I want to buy!
Your not aware of my previous experience with a Ford dealer. If you were you might feel differently. I will not take second rate service from a dealer and given its the second largest purchase I make and given the dealer stands to make quite a bit of money from me during the life of the car if they look after me - I see absolutely no reason to.

You'd be surprised to learn many don't. This isn't the 1970's anymore and we don't just have the choice of two brands. The public do and will shop competitively and generally show no brand allegiance.

For me I wanted one of the last local V8 sedans, so I had two choices. I weighed up everything. Sales, after sales, warranty support, my experiences and those I trusted with the local dealers. Ford came out good on sales and much worse on service, warranty and support. That was my experience with these particular dealers.

Others might have different experiences with theirs.

I'm sorry you don't get it, because honestly, thats the same problem Ford Australia is having. One of the strongest, if not THE strongest portfolio of cars they have ever had in this country and they can't sell them. That suggests there is something they need to "get" also.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 15-01-2014 at 01:03 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Your not aware of my previous experience with a Ford dealer. If you were you might feel differently. I will not take second rate service from a dealer and given its the second largest purchase I make and given the dealer stands to make quite a bit of money from me during the life of the car if they look after me - I see absolutely no reason to.

You'd be surprised to learn many don't. This isn't the 1970's anymore and we don't just have the choice of two brands. The public do and will shop competitively and generally show no brand allegiance.

For me I wanted one of the last local V8 sedans, so I had two choices. I weighed up everything. Sales, after sales, warranty support, my experiences and those I trusted with the local dealers. Ford came out good on sales and much worse on service, warranty and support. That was my experience with these particular dealers.

Others might have different experiences with theirs.
So you prefered the Holden. Thats no probs at all ..... but as said above, you wouldn't part with your hard earned to buy a Ssangyong Musso because the local dealer was a great bloke. Because it is the second biggest purchase one could make I wouldn't be concerned about how wonderful or not the dealer is. I would still buy what I want ....... you opted for and prefered the Holden. No probs as all as thats what the topic is about

Doesn't matter what brand it is ....... there number 1 priority in a dealership is to try and not pay on warranties. If there is any out clause, it would be taken.

I prefer to buy Fords as I do not have to go back to the dealer. After 30 odd Fords over the years and a few other brands (again touch wood) every claim has been accepted which has been very far and few between. (Maybe just luck!)

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #44
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Just to be sure are the GT seats the same as an XR6? I was not a fan of them after getting out of my XR6 ute after long trips.
Yes the GT seats are standard XR6 seats upolstered with faux suede trim and you're not the only one who isn't a fan of them I can assure you of that. Redline seats felt pretty good to me when I tried them out at the dealership the other day, perhaps a little soft in the bolster but I'm biased and used to my superb GT-P seats
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #45
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't care if my local Ford dealer was Adolph Hitler. I would still buy a Ford over Holden. But that's just me.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a purchase of thousands of $$, I'm not about to let a little spite get in the way. Price is the decider.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #47
1TUFFUTE
Banned

There's nothing stopping you changing dealers if they're muppets anywAy!
And a GTP is still a GT
A redline is still a commadore.

Oh and the first thing I did after getting the G6ET after owning utes forever...was buying a caged box trailer. Hard to live with out a ute!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #48
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
There's nothing stopping you changing dealers if they're muppets anywAy!
And a GTP is still a GT
A redline is still a commadore.
I read this as:
And a GTP is still a falcon
A redline is still a commodore.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #49
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
For me the decider was comparing the two local dealers for Holden and Ford. The Ford dealer is worse and Ford haven't fixed their customer care, so went with the Holden.
LOL who can blame the Ford Dealers to be ***'s when selling Falcons after you see the perception everyone has with Ford on an Australian Ford Forum

Your just one of the sheep now - just another Holden lol

FPV GT - it is a rare beast to see on the roads - you could have been a Falcon

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #50
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
First the Holden is not a TCL and thats a very unfair comparison. One vehicle is more modern and has more tech and one has a brilliant drive train. Neither is perfect.

That all said if you think that the local Harvey Norman can be garbage at everything, but will still be ok and has to make zero effort to be competitive, because they have a nice television brand, you are well qualified to hold a Ford franchise and equally qualified to be puzzled each month why it doesn't sell as many cars as the competition.
Of course it's not a TCL but you said very plainly.
Quote:
It's ridiculous to decide the choice of brand based on who sells it...you choose the best product for you based on your preferences/criteria and budget and then find who can supply it. So you're telling me if the Holden dealer was a pig you would have bought a Ford instead even allowing for the Holden being more modern and better featured.

I've even spent $15K on a non-Ford product because I thought my purchase was a superior product. Hopefully the dud Ford dealers will be finally weeded out and one way is to only buy from one that looks after the customer.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 15-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #51
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
To be fair it sounds like you already made up your mind, the poor customer service just validated your decision.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #52
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
I read this as:
Yeah a GT FALCON buddy
My point was one badge has history.....the other is just one in a million other commadores.
That doesn't mean for a sec that the Holden isn't great...it is! But some people don't just buy a car to get from a to be......I was willing to sacrifice 4x4 and a ute option just so I could drive and enjoy everyday the Australian legend, wolf in sheeps clothing....G6ET. And yes it's a falcon
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #53
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
I read this as:
no a gt p is a fpv based on a falcon
the redline is and always will be a holden commode

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #54
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
I wouldn't care if my local Ford dealer was Adolph Hitler. I would still buy a Ford over Holden. But that's just me.
I think it would make people go and buy a car there if Adolf owned one. I mean who wouldn't want to meet the man (Jews excluded) just for the sake of it. Just like the last GT falcon, these things disappear in the blink of an eye (or muzzle flash?).
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #55
MercuryT
Banned

FPV/HSV badging is used for marketing and product placement. All performance models offered by Ford or Holden are based on more humble offerings.

The Redline is an upspecced Commodore, the GT an even more upspecced Falcon.

Both are very good cars in my opinion, and are great products compared to overpriced Euro opposition here in Aust.
Old 16-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #56
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Having sat in a VF SS.... it is very pretty... but if it was a choice between the two I'd go the GT.

When I first saw the GT on the showroom floor I was very impressed, it has a presence about it that the SS will never have.

Also, you get to say you owned a GT... I know that's kinda spanner-ery however I ticked off "Own a HSV/FPV" from my bucket list
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 16-01-2014 at 01:29 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #57
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
My point was one badge has history.....
Exactly, the SS badge can be traced back to the early 70's with Holden and back to the early 60's with Chevrolet.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #58
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
...you choose the best product for you based on your preferences/criteria and budget and then find who can supply it. So you're telling me if the Holden dealer was a pig you would have bought a Ford instead even allowing for the Holden being more modern and better featured.
Agree. There is only one Ford dealer in Hobart and is well known to be absolutely terrible in terms of service and prices.

My most recent example a couple of years ago when my turbo blew with car out of warranty was when they quoted me;
$5,000 for new turbo;
Labour "couldn't be quoted";
Wanted car for "the week as not sure how long it will take"
Laughable!!! Had it all fixed for $1700 in less than a day from a place just down the road......

Anyway, despite knowing this in advance never once did I consider not buying a Ford for this reason.....the car sells itself to me, not some bloke I don't know in a suit and probably never see again! Nor will it stop me when I upgrade to a FG turbo, in fact I can't wait to get one!
Old 16-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #59
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
Exactly, the SS badge can be traced back to the early 70's with Holden and back to the early 60's with Chevrolet.
Goes back a lot futher than that.

irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #60
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Seeing a bit of similarity between that SS badge and the one they had on the side of the VY SS Commodore?

Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post