Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #31
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Re: Over 50% of Territories are sold in Vic - why is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man View Post
and most government departments up here in QLD, they are even using
santa fe's up here instead of territories as cop cars, WTF
What was ever the point of Federal governments giving subsidies to the automakers when lameo State govts go ahead and do this. It beggars belief and makes my blood boil. I emailed the ACT govt on this twice and pointed out the sillyness of the situation coz they do the same crap here. Just idiocy.

Too late now. And by the sounds of it Ford US wanted to go global with all models so the Falcon was gonna be bumped either way...
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #32
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
So all those low-slung, monocoque cars and utes running around Australian farms and bush since the 1940s must be a figment of my imagination?

Come to think of it, the idea of all that "SUV" stuff came from the USA didn't it?

Nothing much that couldn't be solved by some hessian bags and a block and tackle in the boot.
Ok sorry I was wrong. Cars didn't get lower to the ground, they didn't get lower profile tyres, and they didn't get more expensive. I never scraped the undercarriage of my dad's EF Falcon on dirt roads (even those sat higher than today's cars) losing plastic pieces from the front end, that was just a figment of MY imagination. Please, I want to go back to the days of ruining cars and having no traction because pushing the car when it gets stuck is so much fun. What's the fun in engaging 4x4 when you get to push it out with your bare hands like a real man?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #33
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Ok sorry I was wrong. Cars didn't get lower to the ground, they didn't get lower profile tyres, and they didn't get more expensive. I never scraped the undercarriage of my dad's EF Falcon on dirt roads (even those sat higher than today's cars) losing plastic pieces from the front end, that was just a figment of MY imagination. Please, I want to go back to the days of ruining cars and having no traction because pushing the car when it gets stuck is so much fun. What's the fun in engaging 4x4 when you get to push it out with your bare hands like a real man?
Quite obviously you didn't do everything with a car, but, going to the other extreme, the religious use of 4WD has caused much degradation to the extent that you can't use cars in a lot of cases where you could before. In my view this isn't exactly progress.

Anyway you don't get much lower clearance than a Mini van and I never got stuck! Or ruined. Or lost plastic pieces. But I wouldn't buy a "sports" model with a front spoiler for the farm either, but let's not spoil the argument.

Back to topic - AWD Territory = good rural car
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Quite obviously you didn't do everything with a car, but, going to the other extreme, the religious use of 4WD has caused much degradation to the extent that you can't use cars in a lot of cases where you could before. In my view this isn't exactly progress.

Anyway you don't get much lower clearance than a Mini van and I never got stuck! Or ruined. Or lost plastic pieces. But I wouldn't buy a "sports" model with a front spoiler for the farm either, but let's not spoil the argument.

Back to topic - AWD Territory = good rural car
Well it depends where you go and how adventurous you want to be really. BTW it was a Futura, hardly a sports model, nor was it a front spoiler (cos it didn't have one). I think it was the brake ducts. But I better not spoil your good argument either, let's pretend it was a GT that was lowered to the legal limit.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #35
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
let's pretend it was a gt that was lowered to the legal limit.
ok ;)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you seen what condition some of our roads are in? you need territory down some of victoria's roads
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #37
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My guess is most rental cars are vic registered, and lots of them are territories
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually I have seen a the odd Terri taxi around lately as well.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Done a few cars for the ADF at work and they have Land Cruisers, Kluger, Camry etc, and 4x4 Hilux etc in vehicles which only see a dirt paddock if they're lucky.

They could have AWD Diesel Territories instead.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #40
monzie

I bet Blackwoods in Wodonga get a few NSW customers too from just over the Border[/QUOTE]

All along the Murray the main towns are on the Vic side, Yarrawonga, Cobram, Echuca, Swanhill, Mildura so southern NSW buyers may get put in with the Vic numbers.

Pete
monzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #41
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
I just read an article which lists the top selling models in each state:

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2014/...comment-208730

According to that list, the Ford Territory sold a staggering 7473 in Victoria, which accounts for 52.4% of it's national total of 14,261! Now, Victoria only makes up 24.5% of Australia's population, so all things being equal, only about 3500 Territories should have been sold here.

I can't figure it out. I know that Territories are built in Victoria, but so are Camrys. Yet Camry sold 7856 in Victoria (or "only" 31.6% of the national total).

I can only assume that a large percentage of buyers are Ford employees themselves? How else could the numbers be so high?

Also, another even bigger discrepancy is Ford Falcon sales in Tasmania. With that state making up only 2.2% of Australia's population, you would expect the Falcon to sell only around 230 over there. Instead, it sold a whopping 762, equaling 7.2% of total Falcon sales!
In Tasmania, Falcon is a popular rental car. I would expect the majority of Tasmanian Falcon sales, probably 95% plus are rental cars.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #42
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Because Victorians are smarter than the average Australian
I think it because Victorians know they cant drive and cant afford an Abrahams M1,
so they downsize to something more affordable...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #43
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
I bet Blackwoods in Wodonga get a few NSW customers too from just over the Border
All along the Murray the main towns are on the Vic side, Yarrawonga, Cobram, Echuca, Swanhill, Mildura so southern NSW buyers may get put in with the Vic numbers.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Didn't somebody say on the first page that it goes Off the number of registrations rather than sales? Which means the southern NSW buyers wouldn't count as they would be registering there cars in NSW.
Old 27-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #44
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stamp duty and on road costs are lower from memory thats why alot of hire cars in other states are regoed in VIC, not a big deal for one car but if you buy 1000 per year it ads up. This will warp the figures, i know nearly heaps of the hire cars in SA are all VIC rego
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #45
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm currently in Melbourne and every bloody second car is either a Territory or Falcon. Mind you 3/4 of those are the lovely pale yellow taxis.
Melbourne taxi companies are going to be stuffed after 2016.

(On a side note this is my first time to Melbourne and I have to say it ***** all over Sydney!)
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post