Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #31
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Re: Flashing: Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
This is the funniest thing I have read this morning, the second article is.

NSW police media say that while there’s no specific law against flashing your lights to warn other motorists, doing so may still result in a fine and demerit points.

I wonder what they will fine you with, made up laws.
Read the rest and it clearly states the law.

"The official term for the offence is “Use high-beam on oncoming vehicle less than 200 metres”, and the penalty is an $88 fine and one demerit point."

So warning a driver is not illegal, but using your high beams to do it is.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #32
superyob
Banned

It all depends on whether my trench coat is back from the drycleaners... Oh. you mean headlights!!!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #33
Harrison

I got out of the habit after years of driving on windy country roads being constantly endangered by idiots who seemingly have no idea of immediate possibilities and the laws of physics.

Nowadays I only do it if their is a hazard ahead for passing motorists. Wildlife, stock, cyclists, rocks, branches, abnormally slow vehicles, breakdowns in dangerous places etc.

I rarely speed except occasionally while overtaking, when necessary.

Maybe new vehicles should be fitted with a low beam flasher ?
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #34
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, I'll warn the oncoming traffic.
I'll warn them with a flash of the lights if they are about to approach a dangerous situation too, like a stranded car or an RAA van that had no room to park off the road, etc.
I probably save more lives than the cameras do
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #35
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
Always flash the lights to let others know about a camera. The only exception is when i see someone who is really pushing the limits driving way over the limit or is tailgating heavily or dangerously overtaking. In my opinion they deserve to be booked so im not going to give them any warning. But the average motorist cruising along doesnt deserve to get pinged going 3kmh over so they will get a warning from me about a camera.
The fact that these people pushing the limits, are still on the road, probably points to the fact that they dont drive like that all the time. So theres a good chance that you are flashing people that do do it sometimes, but just not when around you. Maybe if the cops knocked on your door, to say a speeding motorist has killed your mum, dad, sister, brother or child etc, then you may sit down and wonder if it was someone you had warned, and never had to learn his lesson.

People dont get speeding fines for not speeding and yet oddly, innocent people get killed by speedsters who lose control of their vehicle.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #36
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
The fact that these people pushing the limits, are still on the road, probably points to the fact that they dont drive like that all the time. So theres a good chance that you are flashing people that do do it sometimes, but just not when around you. Maybe if the cops knocked on your door, to say a speeding motorist has killed your mum, dad, sister, brother or child etc, then you may sit down and wonder if it was someone you had warned, and never had to learn his lesson.

People dont get speeding fines for not speeding and yet oddly, innocent people get killed by speedsters who lose control of their vehicle.
I understand what you are saying but many people are not pushing the limits and many also get killed in vehicles for inattentiveness and fatigue as well and there are some draconian speeding laws that are not consistent with the roads or vehicles that use them and team that with the majority of speed violations are low range it’s hard for the public to fathoms these laws are just about their safety and not a means to raise revenue.

Sure, hit drivers hard in areas like school zones and where the speed is excessive but out on an open highway doing ten over the limit or five or so on an arterial road going downhill is a different matter.

In the mind of many motorists, speed restrictions need to be readdressed.

And yes you may flash someone who is excessive and doesn’t deserve a warning but those drivers are usually serial offenders and even when caught will continue to be a danger on the roads.

You’ve only got to watch that program on the Tele about the Highway Patrol to see the stupid things people do that don’t involve speeding and in many cases in my opinion, the fines appear to be of little deterrent.

The number of people that drive while unlicensed or unregistered vehicles astonishes me.

Just my opinion.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #37
Tom Tucker

I do, but it annoys me that nobody acknowledges you trying to help them theses days. Hardly ever get a thank you wave. It's simple manners.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #38
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Was pretty sure it is illegal to flash your lights, but it must be up to individual officers' discretion.

Says it's illegal here & here.
LOL - Flashing lights slows people down so job well done
AND in Vic Suburbs Camera Cars are not set up in major accident or fatal areas - what a load of BS
Quote:
Mackay District Road Policing Unit Senior Constable Simon Robinson said marked police cars on the side of the road with speed cameras not only caught people speeding but indicated where the high-crash zones were around Mackay.

"The areas where we are set up are where there have been major accidents or fatals," he said.
"We want people to slow down in those spots."

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #39
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do the opposite.

If there is a camera, i wont flash people. If i speed, i've accepted the cost of the fine to go that speed. My opinion is, so have other road users who risk it.

That said, if i see someone driving like a ****tard (clearly going way above the limit) i'll randomly flash where there isn't a camera so they freak out and slow down
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I must be the only person here who doesn't do it and I don't appreciate others doing it to me (have light sensitive eyes).

And LOL at stealthy's last sentence.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorted.."LOL - Flashing lights slows people down so job well done
AND in Vic Suburbs Camera Cars are not set up in major accident or fatal areas - what a load of BS"...same as in Queensland.. Rockhampton they are set up on high flow traffic roads...I know 3 places where they are regularly set up and no fatal or serious crash for years...
Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #42
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I don't, but also appreciate those that do.

What annoys me is the morons that then jump on their brakes and slow to a (relative) crawl, even though they were only doing the speed limit anyway. Same occurs when ever a cop car is spotted on the side of the road - everyone panics.

This does not help the smooth flow of traffic.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #43
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I don't flash because I don't look out for speed cameras.

I just keep within tolerance of the speed limit using the excellent FG cruise control, and knowing the speedo error (nil) I know I'm safe from fines. Has worked 100% so far.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #44
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post

What annoys me is the morons that then jump on their brakes and slow to a (relative) crawl, even though they were only doing the speed limit anyway. Same occurs when ever a cop car is spotted on the side of the road - everyone panics.

The same thing happens at fixed speed cameras, why do so many drivers feel it is necessary to slow down to 10 or 15 km under the limit when a couple of k’s would do?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #45
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I flash to alert oncoming traffic there is a hazard (speed camera) But it ***** me when others flash for no apparent reason. I don't see a speed camera or dead cow or maybe a pig on the road for 5 k's!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #46
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't get the ones that do this when a policemen has pulled someone over and is talking to the driver..

His or her spidey senses aren't going to notice you're doing 2kp/h over the limit and make them just stop mid conversation, run to their car and pull you over!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #47
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was with a cop mate in his own car and he is from out of my town and I was pointing out where the cops sit, watch out here watch out their and he was like sh-t I am so use to speeding everywhere, that he just forgets.

Most cops hate highway petrol and speed cameras as well.
They say that them lot are another breed and don't want to be associated with them.

I once said I would of liked to be a Highway patrol cop and cop mate laughed and said they were the most looked down on in the service.

Cops can be really admirable people but, it's the government that do every thing they can to make them look in a bad light, not to mention the media who love to spin sensational crap, because that's how they make more money just like the governments do.

Take away the money revenue cash cow and see if they hide like they do now and all ? just a thought mind you, or the media spin so much nonsense as they do.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
I flash all the time, and if given the opportunity I will flash prior to passing the camera so they know what I'm doing.

When travelling the direction of the camera, I always give a toot to make sure they're not sleeping on the job
Makes sense

in NSW, $298 for the “illegal use of a warning device”

“Use high-beam on oncoming vehicle less than 200 metres”, and the penalty is an $88 fine and one demerit point.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #49
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
I don't get the ones that do this when a policemen has pulled someone over and is talking to the driver..

His or her spidey senses aren't going to notice you're doing 2kp/h over the limit and make them just stop mid conversation, run to their car and pull you over!

Most likely has something to do with the fact that alot of the cops will keep their lights flashing when pulling someone over, to ensure their own safety. With that, most states have now enacted laws that require you to slow to 25 kmh when passing stationary emergency vehicles with lights flashing. Most people dont slow to 25kmh, but most slow down to some degree.
5 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #50
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Makes sense

in NSW, $298 for the “illegal use of a warning device”

“Use high-beam on oncoming vehicle less than 200 metres”, and the penalty is an $88 fine and one demerit point.
There was a fox on the road.

Turning low beams and on off works too.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #51
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I'll be the wouser.... my wife often flashes me.. not very often on the road though.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #52
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Ok I'll be the wouser.... my wife often flashes me.. not very often on the road though.
Is that with the lights on high beam?
4 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #53
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer them high beam rather than low beam (sagging)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #54
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express
The same thing happens at fixed speed cameras, why do so many drivers feel it is necessary to slow down to 10 or 15 km under the limit when a couple of k’s would do?
Because those of us who slow so much don't trust the coppers nor any cameras. Go ahead and do what you will but please leave us alone. Think of us as a moving school zone or something... People seem to have no issues with those..

That and most enthusiasts have modified cars, a percentage defectable (be it a big or small defect and it's dead easy to breach the laws in Aus) so we also behave extra well to not be harassed.

Edit: also, low beam flashing. Still flashing lights, you can't prove which lights you flashed. Can't win.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #55
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Part of me want's to (revenue) but why flash some *&^% stick to slow down, or pre-warn him, only to have him drive down the next main road and run over your kids on the crossing.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #56
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

It's illegal to flash your lights here in SA.... it's comes under the "road rage" banner , or something like that ! Not sure what the fine is ?

Never heard of anyone actually booked for it though !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #57
red_hotxr6
Banned

I am under the impression it is illegal to Flash, but i do it anyway, and its because the radar,s are usually hidden, the police or the contracted guys that have them in their unmarked vehicles, are revenue raisers, there is no way they can save the life of any one with a car hurtling pass them at a huge rate of knots by taking there photo....Once i have checked the roads i do flash. Actually if you think about it, you the FLASHER, especially on the highway could actually be doing the police,s job by getting a "speeder" to slow down and not just shoot straight past a radar and continue not even noticing his photo has been taken.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got flashed yesterday, I was thinking 'thanks, there must be a cop ahead soon'...5km later there he was.
Not really sure the point of that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #59
adumb
FG G6ET

I never do and couldn't care less if I get flashed.
I generally don't speed, but if I do and get caught I accept the consequences that come with it.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #60
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I understand what you are saying but many people are not pushing the limits and many also get killed in vehicles for inattentiveness and fatigue as well and there are some draconian speeding laws that are not consistent with the roads or vehicles that use them and team that with the majority of speed violations are low range it’s hard for the public to fathoms these laws are just about their safety and not a means to raise revenue.

Sure, hit drivers hard in areas like school zones and where the speed is excessive but out on an open highway doing ten over the limit or five or so on an arterial road going downhill is a different matter.
In the mind of many motorists, speed restrictions need to be readdressed.
And yes you may flash someone who is excessive and doesn’t deserve a warning but those drivers are usually serial offenders and even when caught will continue to be a danger on the roads.
You’ve only got to watch that program on the Tele about the Highway Patrol to see the stupid things people do that don’t involve speeding and in many cases in my opinion, the fines appear to be of little deterrent.
The number of people that drive while unlicensed or unregistered vehicles astonishes me.
Just my opinion.
The main issue is, even if the Governments true intention is not to save lives, but is to use them as a revenue raiser (and its probably a combination of both), then they are going to set out to get that revenue anyhow. It can be by fining people who are speeding (and only people who are speeding, not people who do the right thing), and potentially save the life of one of your loved one. Or they could slug the general population, and increase land taxes, water rates, registration etc etc. When people flash speeding drivers, then not only do they risk killing their own loved one, they are also saying i would love to be the one paying more taxes, rather than the twit doing the wrong thing. You achieve absolutely nothing by flashing someone,and you risk peoples lives, and no one can justify any logic in it. You dont stop the revenue source, you simply shift it somewhere else.

"Here ya go mate, i saved you from getting a fine, and next month you might go out and kill my son, and i aint the brightest person in the world, so after i attend my sons funeral, i will walk into the rego office and pay an extra $20 on my registration that the government need not have raised if only i let you get that fine"

Last edited by bobthebilda; 03-10-2015 at 11:44 AM.