Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #61
blackjack74

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtimes
Had a memorable moment in my XF sedan many moons ago, live in perth, took a motorcross trip down to lancelin, 2 cars and 2 bikes, on the way home my mates holden ute with bikes on back died, hired a car trailer, hitched up trailer with ute on back, loads of hills the old girl didnt like, righto gonna pick up some speed to get over this hill, got over the hill no worries, coming down the hill was the problem, front wheels completely off the ground, front wheels landed in the orange stuff on the wrong side of the road at about 110 k's, dont think i ever managed to remove the stains from the seat lol
Yikes- I don't know too many XF Falcon's with a suitable towbar rated to tow a loaded car trailer & traveling over 100kms is asking for trouble
blackjack74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #62
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
whatever mate, you're obviously too much of a driving hero to ever make a mistake. And you have no idea how to handle an older vehicle. I didnt realise the g6e came with rewind function.
You're obviously too young to realise how imperfect everyone is.
Why is it so unbelievable that I havn't? Am I supposed to break the law? Take corners too fast?

And sorry I can't get any older to realise...ugh, good old age argument.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #63
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be having a good look at ya tyres and dampers, XC willo.
XC utes do or can handle well.
50.000KM is about the life of dampers it does not mater what anyone saying by pushing down on the car.
A lot of the cheaper tyres are pretty well useless when they are half worn, they get hard and the rubber does only half the ability it did when new, and in the wet they are absolute rubbish.
In the 80's i use to trade my old tyres in before they were half worn. then came the better rubber compounds and some of these can be good to the end of there life.
The trick is to be on the ball at all times and ready hit the gas or brake and what to do at the helm.
It's just like boxing ect, you have to learn and eventually you can take things like that with no problems at all.
You are in charge and responsible for everything that happens.
Do you think someone like A Moffat would of lost control of it. NO WAY!
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #64
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I would be having a good look at ya tyres and dampers, XC willo.
XC utes do or can handle well.
50.000KM is about the life of dampers it does not mater what anyone saying by pushing down on the car.
A lot of the cheaper tyres are pretty well useless when they are half worn, they get hard and the rubber does only half the ability it did when new, and in the wet they are absolute rubbish.
In the 80's i use to trade my old tyres in before they were half worn. then came the better rubber compounds and some of these can be good to the end of there life.
The trick is to be on the ball at all times and ready hit the gas or brake and what to do at the helm.
It's just like boxing ect, you have to learn and eventually you can take things like that with no problems at all.
You are in charge and responsible for everything that happens.
Do you think someone like A Moffat would of lost control of it. NO WAY!
Oh man i dont think anything suspension wise has been changed in the past 20 years
except for the front struts and springs that i chucked in to lower it a few months ago.
Ill get around to the new suspesion system when money permits :(
And i have BFGoodrich Radial T/A's all round

The 'T/A' in this case meaning Traction Avoidance
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #65
JimNiki
71Mach1

take it easy with the egos guys ...
Egos are responsible for 99% of all accidents...!

We're all ford people here ...
which means we're all above average drivers! <embed sarcastic symbol here>
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #66
kinksta
Luxojet

Amen JimNiki! If I could have an old school V8 I would, so the G6ET will have to do for now ;)
Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #67
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Amen JimNiki! If I could have an old school V8 I would, so the G6ET will have to do for now ;)
yeah, let me know when you get one, so i can be there to laugh when the perfect driver loses it.
preaching your driving prowess does nothing to help the thread.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #68
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Oh man i dont think anything suspension wise has been changed in the past 20 years
except for the front struts and springs that i chucked in to lower it a few months ago.
Ill get around to the new suspesion system when money permits :(
And i have BFGoodrich Radial T/A's all round

The 'T/A' in this case meaning Traction Avoidance
where'd you get the traction optionals?
i've been looking for them all over, can't find them in any width under 265's...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #69
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
i've been looking for them all over, can't find them in any width under 265's...
Well they came off my Dads Mustang GT500 clone which came from america :\
But before that i looked on ebay and i was able to find a store that sold em in all the sizes.
have you checked there?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #70
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

Quote:
BFG radial T/As are back on the market. I picked up some 235s and 245s recently. Here in NZ I got my local speed shop to get for me and they came over night. I think I saw and ad for them recently in Australian Muscle Car.
NeillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #71
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
yeah, let me know when you get one, so i can be there to laugh when the perfect driver loses it.
preaching your driving prowess does nothing to help the thread.
and preaching how poor is cool? onya bike...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #72
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
and preaching how poor is cool? onya bike...
sense? this made none...
if i were you i'd watch out....
watch out you don't void your warranty with those fully sick rims and k & n max horsepower filter!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #73
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
sense? this made none...
if i were you i'd watch out....
watch out you don't void your warranty with those fully sick rims and k & n max horsepower filter!
wow you read that off of my signature, and put it into a sentence! Good work!! Star next to your name

no worries little buddy!!!! happy spinning out
Old 10-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #74
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
happy spinning out
i'll try not to.. throttle response can be embarassing, amusing and awesome all at the same time... all gets back to nice balance of respect, fear and actually having to DRIVE the car......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #75
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
wow you read that off of my signature, and put it into a sentence! Good work!! Star next to your name

no worries little buddy!!!! happy spinning out
Old 10-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #76
kinksta
Luxojet

I can't drive, there ya go.

Back to topic i think.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #77
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
... all gets back to nice balance of respect......
After reading through this thread, I coud'nt agree with you more.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on.......

Didn't I read not that long ago how safe and wonderful the old X series cars are? Come to think of it those posts were made by the same members who are now going on about "spinning out" and "superior driving skill required".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #79
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hang on.......

Didn't I read not that long ago how safe and wonderful the old X series cars are? Come to think of it those posts were made by the same members who are now going on about "spinning out" and "superior driving skill required".
go back Flappy.. you'll find i describe my old bomb as 'the deathtrap'.... if i'm not carefull it does just spinout roundy roundy circle circle thingys.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #80
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
go back Flappy.. you'll find i describe my old bomb as 'the deathtrap'.... if i'm not carefull it does just spinout roundy roundy circle circle thingys.......
Yep I know, I was not thinking of you when I posted the above.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #81
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeillNZ
BFG radial T/As are back on the market. I picked up some 235s and 245s recently. Here in NZ I got my local speed shop to get for me and they came over night. I think I saw and ad for them recently in Australian Muscle Car.
They are one of the worse tyres in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would not put them on fair dinkum unless you must have a death wish.
I am going to see the QLD transport minister to get them band from being sold hear.
WHY! would they bring back rubbish like that now days.
Young stevie boy lost his HK 327 monaro coming back from the monaro nationals last sunday with them T/As doing about 80 km/h on a wet road. he found out the hard way. lucky he did not wipe anyone out.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #82
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
They are one of the worse tyres in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would not put them on fair dinkum unless you must have a death wish.
I am going to see the QLD transport minister to get them band from being sold hear.
WHY! would they bring back rubbish like that now days.
Young stevie boy lost his HK 327 monaro coming back from the monaro nationals last sunday with them T/As doing about 80 km/h on a wet road. he found out the hard way. lucky he did not wipe anyone out.
Which band is being sold, and who is hearing them?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #83
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I agree the BFG radial T/As are crap in the wet lol I got 295/50s on the XE.

I have never had a crash in my time on the road but have been in 2 crashes and had a few close calls. The first crash I was only 11. It was only a year or 2 after mum and dad got their new holden jackaroo. My dad passed away only a few months after we got it and so mum was left with the driving duties and lets just say she was not a very confident driver. We where on our way to Singleton from Kandos travelling across the Bylong road when it was still dirt. We hit a corner a bit quick and the back end of the jackaroo stepped out and mum not knowing what to do jumped on the anchors making the car swing around, hit the embankment and roll onto its roof.

The second crash I was in was a only a few years ago. I was living with my uncle and cousin and my cosuin had just got his first car. A 1985 Hilux single cab engineered with 6 inch lift, 35" tyres and a commodore v6. We were both on our L plates at the time and while my uncle was at tafe one arvo we thought we would take the hilux out for a drive to another mates property down a dirt road. There were 3 of us in the car. Me, my mate and my cousin who was driving. On the way home we took a sharp corner too quick and the backend kicked out, hit the washout on the side of the road and we rolled it onto its roof. We all crawled out and my cousin went and got help while my and a mate stayed at the ute. Injuries were a broken collar bone for my mate, I got a fractured sternum and my cousin only a few scratches on his arm from the glass. My cousin had only owned the car for about 6 weeks if that. It was a big learning curve and half the reason I am scared of getting in 4wds while other people are driving. I get a huge sense of lack of control and to be honest pack my pants because I am not driving, If I am driving I am good.

I have only ever had a few close calls. One was when I was at an intersection in Singleton where you turn off an old bridge to head towards some traffic lights. It was at night and I was waiting behind another car to turn. In my rearview mirror I could see a taxi coming at pace and on gut instinct I moved forward a bit and sort of to the side hard to explain. Anyway the taxing locked up and stopped, Its bumper was at my rear door. Lucky I moved a bit or the idiot would of rear ended me bad.

I have to say that being a country kid it has helped learning to drive a lot. There is nothing like having a paddock basher and learning how to control a drift and basic driving control. I am a P plater myself and have lost my license before and learnt my lesson and have grown up. I have my toys to play with including my 351 XE and that is why I go to test n tune days and car shows etc to let loose. Some of the things I see people do make you say.. "WTF ARE THEY THINKING?"

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #84
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Hang on.......

nah, your thinking of 70's fairlanes, not x series.
just ease up on the bloke, no need to rip on the fellow because he had a little incident. no-one was hurt and a valuable lesson was learned.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #85
arlester

The only near miss i've had was driving a Civic Hybrid for work.

I stopped at a set of lights and once they went green I started to take off.
Now in the hybrids it hesitates for a second while it starts the petrol motor and releases the brakes. After I started to move a saw just out of the corner of my eye a white VY Commodore doing what looked like more than double the speed limit. I jumped on the brakes and stopped just outside the path the of the commodore. I doubt there would have been 10cm in it.

Looking back on it now though it was pretty funny when the car turned itself back off once i stopped again. It was almost like it was scared itself.
arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #86
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EF on a twisty road, took a corner a bit too fast, started to slide, grabbed it as it gripped again, overcorrected a couple of times and ended up facing the other direction, thin road and on a hill with a big unguarded drop on the other side it was a miracle I didnt go over the edge. Live and learn, its almost a good thing to happen to an over confident p plater as it shows you that you arent as good as you think you are.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #87
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nah, your thinking of 70's fairlanes, not x series.
just ease up on the bloke, no need to rip on the fellow because he had a little incident. no-one was hurt and a valuable lesson was learned.
I am not ripping on him at all. I am, however interested in exactly where it happened in that I live in Hervey Bay too.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #88
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

We all make silly mistakes when we are learning to drive. The main thing is the OP didn't hit anyone or anything and has learnt a valuable lesson.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #89
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
I am not ripping on him at all. I am, however interested in exactly where it happened in that I live in Hervey Bay too.
It happened at the far end of murphey street in point vernon, where the entire left side of the road is dirt and trees.
Like everyones said and from all the stories being posted here, defanantly learnt that a lot more can happen then just spinning out in that situation.
Bad thing is tho after reading everything here i have noticed a lot more stupid behavior from over drivers
Some people do some /stupid/ things on the road -_-
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #90
LXL15

I was driving my EF through a set of lights that went yellow just as I passed the line, an unsupervised, uninsured L-plater in a Toyota Corrolla turning right managed to hit my door so hard the driver's pillar came in a good 15-20cm, and he was from a standing start too. I was fine, apart from the shock, but the car was a write-off. Definitely don't want to experience the same thing with the cars reversed...that wouldn't be much fun.
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post