Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #61
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Your favourite car for a road trip?

My favorite is 99 LS400 with sheepskin seat covers - rides on 235/60/16 ,quiet , smooth and with adequate power. Good headlights ,decent sound system.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #62
malazn mafia
Boss 335

FG2 XR6 Rental. These cars eat up the distance with ease, have plenty of go and handle remarkably well. Fuel economy is still decent reaching into the jail-me end of the scale.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #63
thehammer

I move around a lot mainly for work so have done a decent amount of big trips in various stuff.

AU XR8 I drove from Brisbane - Perth - Kunanurra - Esperance - Perth over a period of about 2 years, by far the best car I've covered distance in. V8 4-door sedan with IRS, enough power to overtake roadtrains easily, not so much that it's wasting fuel.

Done Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane in an ED 5 speed, did the job fine.

Adelaide - Hobart in an XG XR6. X-series steering can be annoying on a long trip with the constant adjustments but other than that was fine.

Hobart - Adelaide in an 440,000km XF ute, doing distance in a ******* is surprisingly satisfying but overtaking required good timing.

Current car AU wagon done Brisbane - Adelaide - Brisbane - Hobart - Brisbane. Comfortable but not overly exciting, overtakes well enough.

Never had a mechanical issue on a trip, touch-wood, although the XF starter motor packed it in the day after I got to Adelaide.

A good car is the difference between enjoying the drive, or enjoying the motels
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2015, 12:11 AM   #64
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

I just finished taking my EL XR6 with 370+k on the clock down to Tasmania and back. (from Brisbane)
5300km in 9 days
Loved every minute of it, and that is saying something as the cruise and Aircon are both not working.

Comfortable, good sound system, enough power when needed.

I also drove her to Cairns and Back a couple of years ago.
Just a very comfortable cruising car.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 01:39 AM   #65
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Although I think my BA is awsome...

Why do I keep driving my ZL Fairlane......

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #66
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A380 takes some beating ..
I'll take the GT though..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #67
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My old GTE, they is no better touring car than that.

Fast comfortable quiet. A true pleasure to drive. You could go 7 hours straight and step out relaxed.
Old 19-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #68
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had our summer holiday's at Hahei Beach in the Coromandel, 1500Km round trip, The SRT proved it's worth as a luxury long hauler, very impressed with the way it eats up the Km's and the way I didn't feel destroyed after a day behind the wheel.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX

Last edited by PHawk; 29-07-2015 at 08:08 AM.
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #69
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who's the numppy bumping a 2 year old Hulk thread....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #70
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Will be doing the Melbourne To Sydney day trip then back again late next week. The GT-E is the machine par excellence for such a run, including sojourns off the highway with the Shockworks coil-overs in.
Old 19-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #71
garcar

Took the '78 Ford P6 over to the Bay to Birdwood two years ago - Canberra/Adelaide on the Friday and Adelaide/Canberra on the Monday. Very comfortable with the long wheelbase and the 351 purring at the speed limits throughout. Fuel economy was acceptable.

Took my 2004 Mercedes E500 on a trip from Canberra to Brisbane and beyond, and it is good for cruising - nice and comfortable, with more than enough power to use when needed for overtaking.

Brought my '55 Oldsmobile from Brisbane to Canberra - and that's a totally different story.......
garcar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #72
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

My old man had a P6 LTD Town Car which he bought new. I did Whyalla-Adelaide-Whyalla in a day taking my sister to school back in 82. That was nice enough but my AUII Fairlane Sportsman is the best car I've used for traveling. I can drive 1000kms non stop and get out of it without feeling fatigued or my creaky old bones feeling stiff.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #73
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Will be doing the Melbourne To Sydney day trip then back again late next week.
I would be interested to know how long it takes nowadays. I guess from outskirts to outskirts would be the best figure, to eliminate traffic delays within each city.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #74
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ZH Fairlane or P6 LTD
WB Statesman
Sitting in the back seat in stuff like so, I can go for any drive, day in day out with no complaints.
You need power as well to be relaxed when overtaking or your worried looking ahead to see what is going on even if you are drinking in the back with the esky down in the centre.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #75
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I would be interested to know how long it takes nowadays. I guess from outskirts to outskirts would be the best figure, to eliminate traffic delays within each city.
I normally join the Hume at Euroa then run straight through to Eastern Creek. So virtually no city stuff to contend with.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #76
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 5 litre V8 AU3 ute Is my favourite road trip vehicle. Great on fuel on the highway...enough power to tow a heavy trailer and still overtake slower vehicles. Never get sore when driving long distances. It's an all round great vehicle for toad trips that caters for my needs.
Old 19-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #77
thehammer

as others have said power is very handy on long trips, even if you're not speeding. Especially on roads like the New England Highway where there's a decent number of trucks and passing opportunities can be limited, power means you need less road to overtake and can get around obsticles quicker, saving time, maybe 30min over a day, sometimes more. In something slow you need heaps of road and maybe even a well timed run-up, and if there is an incline involved you car might not accelerate at all. My old XF ute vs my old Xr8 there was a big difference in overtaking, the XR8 you could overtake easily in places where in the XF you'd be stuck for another 5min waiting for a chance. You even notice this on trips when you're tailing a Corolla or something both doing the speed limit, get to a line of trucks, you overtake and he's stuck, and you beat him to the roadhouse 100km up the road by 10min.
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
Old 19-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #78
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driven many many cars on many roadtrips over the years. Most memorable but for different reasons

1. Honda Civic turbo diesel 1.6 2014 - drove this from Newcastle/Lismore return, sitting between 110 (speed limit) and upwards north (no admissions), consumption average 4.1 litres, incredibly quiet, suspension nice, only negative a wallowing forwards on heavy braking. The torque of over 300nm is square in that zone of cruising and booting in to overtake-effortless driving- was very refreshed after a long trip-only real negative right door armrest not cushioned enough. Polished, effective engineering.

2. AMG C63 6.2 litre v8 with sports suspension and power pack- drove this from Melbourne to Newcastle- polished effective engineering aimed at having you locked up with keys thrown away-still smiling and on adrenaline 2 days later after that road blast. Fuel consumption-

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #79
Binny

I've driven heaps of rental Falcon, commodore and Aurions and they are all great mile eaters. The XR6 was always my favourite though.
We had an AUIII wagon years ago too that was a great comfy cruiser. I really hated though how it couldn't hold 4th up the bigger hills and would drop down to 3rd and rev its nads off.

I am genuinely impressed with the Mondeo after driving it over 2600km at Christmas. We drove from Brisbane to Canberra via the new England Hwy and Newcastle and back again. It ate up the miles with ease and powered up the hills in 6th without breaking a sweat loaded with the family and a chockers boot.
The Thunderbolts Way is rough at the best of times but we got hit by a massive storm on the way down it and the Mondy was so sure footed and confidence inspiring through it all. And to use under 6L/100km for the whole trip was the icing on the cake.
I've always seen it a "just a car" but it earnt a lot of brownie points from me over the holidays.
Old 20-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #80
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
I am genuinely impressed with the Mondeo after driving it over 2600km at Christmas. We drove from Brisbane to Canberra via the new England Hwy and Newcastle and back again. It ate up the miles with ease and powered up the hills in 6th without breaking a sweat loaded with the family and a chockers boot.
The Thunderbolts Way is rough at the best of times but we got hit by a massive storm on the way down it and the Mondy was so sure footed and confidence inspiring through it all. And to use under 6L/100km for the whole trip was the icing on the cake.
I've always seen it a "just a car" but it earnt a lot of brownie points from me over the holidays.
Mondeo (and Focus) are designed to take on the equivalent VW group products and they reach a pretty high bar, including being able to cruise comfortably at 160+ all day! They're great cars and once people experience them, Ford will be proved right - sadly people will soon forget the Falcon.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #81
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we purchased a New Ford Ranger Wildtrak , and went away with our 2004 Ford explorer....The best riding SUV
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #82
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I have just done 1400km in my FG XR6 whilst on holidays.

The big aussie cars cop complaints from many angles, but long distance travel are what they excel at. Enough grunt for safe overtaking, great seats and acceptable ride quality.

Our BA Futura was an excellent highway car too. That mushy suspension and 60 series tyres that compromised ultimate handling provide truly excellent ride comfort.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #83
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

You can't go wrong with any generation of Falcon really, big, comfortable, safe and they gobble up country miles effortlessly. Our FG XR6 with ZF auto is fantastic.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #84
thehammer

every major trip I've done were in Falcons, but did an Adelaide to Melbourne run in my ex's mid-90's Celica and I was glad to get out of that thing in the end. Small interior, hard seats, firmish ride, not much overtaking grunt and an ex with slightly below average driving ability = not recommended.

Falcons are built for distance, small cars aren't.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #85
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best I've been in was my 300c Hemi.
Big, comfortable, all the features you want and the power was great. Makes overtaking so easy. Averaged below 8L/100kms on the freeway due to cylinder deactivation which was pretty awesome on the pocket.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #86
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Anyone done long trips with the Ford Ranger? Are they as laid back as the Falcon??

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #87
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_BA2003 View Post
Anyone done long trips with the Ford Ranger? Are they as laid back as the Falcon??
Close.

The Ranger is quite good at long distance travel with plenty of grunt form that 3.2.

A FG onwards Falcon is better overall. Quieter (both engine and road noise) and better ride quality.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #88
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Plus the Ranger seats are hard compared to Falcon.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #89
Doreturnonfoot

Default au 3 xr6

Took the Au sedan on a 1500km trip - I had forgotten how good Falcons were after trading xf ute about 10 years ago on 4 cylinder rodeo. The power availability particularly between 80 to 110 kph is great and got around 9l to the 100.
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #90
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Our RV is doing fine .. Traveling around Australia . In WA at present . Solar and diesel heating . Shower, toilet . What would you want ?
In Kalbarri at present ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (154.8 KB, 13 views)
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post