Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #61
just_pazz
Ford Convert

For a car "enthusiast" forum some of these replies are just staggering.....
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #62
Outback
Banned

[QUOTE=Adrenaline]A little flick of opposite lock could have saved you here. Next time it rains, find an empty industrial cul-de-sac (the huge ones where semi trailers do U turns) after business hours of course, and get a feel for how to control your car when the rear comes out. You don't need to be hooning, just turn into it with a little more throttle than usual, wait for the rear to come out slightly and teach yourself to correct it.

And make sure you got a lift home after the police impound your car for a few months.only a moron would tell him to go do a stupid thing like that.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #63
SKITZD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
give the bloke a break.i bet hes not the first bloke to lose a rear drive falcon in the wet.
I agree, give him a break. Chances are most of us have done the same thing in early days. He's up here asking for advice, not to be told he shouldnt drive a rear wheeled drive car etc etc etc.

Alot of what he can still learn comes with experience! I rolled around a corner 7 years back, from a stop and very slow (so slow I couldnt even fatham how it happened), the roads were flooded it was that wet and my falcon went sliding. She spun completely around before I kicked her out of it and kept driving like nothing happened.

Today, I'm a better driver on all levels and understand situations and how to handle them. All because of experience.

So offer advice and give him a break. Dont rip into him with smart arsed comments.

I do agree with getting out and doing a driving training course Its very beneficial and skid pan days are fun!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #64
just_pazz
Ford Convert

[QUOTE=Outback]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
A little flick of opposite lock could have saved you here. Next time it rains, find an empty industrial cul-de-sac (the huge ones where semi trailers do U turns) after business hours of course, and get a feel for how to control your car when the rear comes out. You don't need to be hooning, just turn into it with a little more throttle than usual, wait for the rear to come out slightly and teach yourself to correct it.

And make sure you got a lift home after the police impound your car for a few months.only a moron would tell him to go do a stupid thing like that.
Mate so you think it's better that young drivers go drive around with no concept of how to handle their vehicles in an emergency situation because of the small chance you may get you car impounded?

Think I'd rather have no car than no life tbh.

Yes ABS/traction/ESP will save me.... Why would I need to learn to drive?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #65
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only place to learn car control is at driver training, not in written form on a forum.. Too many variable's i can see how i've copped a bagging fair call.. You would be mad to hit the pick's mid way through a big broady going around a bend and end up in the scenery.. I was going on what i've been shown low speed stuff eg.. Round about speed.. It work's and if in doubt just do it.. Of course you get the next level of skid recovery where you control it like a bloody champ and recover.. Fair call.. Just too many variable's, car's, condition's etc everyone's skill level is different.. And i'll take it on the chin like a champ
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #66
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
My dad gave me the best advice
he said to me
"if you lose it from giving it too much don't be a hero and try to steer out of it and power on, hit the brakes and correct yourself no matter how much you think you wimped out and look silly i guarantee you'd be a hell of a lot more embarassed if you wrote off your car".
Your dad is on the money this is the exact advice given by the Driving Solutions instructors at the many Eastern Creek track days I go to the principle is dont turn a little off into a bigger accident by trying to be a hero some here would have you hitting the go pedal and getting up more speed only to slide accross the road and into the power pole. Another thing to remember is antilock brakes dont work on grass or very slippery surfaces so if oil is on the road dont expect to stop quick as explained by the experts at driving solutions.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #67
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've so far only had the one or two scares when I first started driving alone with poor tyres once where the front end slipped out and I was so surprised I didn't even realist I kept accelerating until afterwards lol. By the time I realised foot on the brake abs going crazy and steered til i slowed and got traction

a lot of people had similar stories
why isn't defensive driving mandatory before p plates just like a hazards test? We shouldn't find ourselves surprised on the streets
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #68
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Jesus Christ, listen to you all.

The bloke made an honest mistake.

He lost control in the wet ffs.

It's happened to me and I've done defensive driving courses. Oh, and my car is a single pegger N/A XR6. These things happen.

As for the topic, mate your tyre would be shagged. Also, get someone to check over suspension/steering components/etc...a nice sideways hit on a kerb could do some damage which may not be obvious.

i.e. when I lost control in the wet and hit a cane paddock at full tilt, I bent my left rear trailing arm.

Anyways, I'm sure you've learnt from this experience! I know I did when it happened to me.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #69
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Think the question has been answered (New tyre). To aquaplane or just slide in the wet is easily done and can catch the best of us out.

The advice given on what to do in this situation through a Forum can be a bit scary so I think we can leave it at that for now.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread