Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #61
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Re: Hoon caught doing 225kmph in his FPV ute!!!!

Right - well i've given it about 40 mins.... and we've got

Grunter, GTPete, ohzone, One Six, PHANTMXR6, pottery beige, ras351, shonkymofo and loftie

Now - we're all still alive right? Did we crash and burn/kill anyone else in doing so?

Where I'm going is:
The 'save the children' bunch would all say that driving at 200km/h on public roads is stupid - and mostly I agree with that.
I'd also agree that driving at high speeds can increase the risk of an accident for a number of reasons. But it isn't suicide.
I'd like to bet that most of you that answered to my question - did that on a highway - open road and not in suburbia - right?

Should we consider increasing our speed limits on major highways - Yes
Should we consider stricter and better license training and testing - Yes
Should we consider firmer laws/fines for speeding in residential/built up areas - Yes

All road users should be more responsible for their behavior on the road - and more understanding that poor decisions can be life threatening to themselves and others.
We should be given the right to drive within our ability safely (for ourselves and others).
We should also be given the responsibility to be able to make that decision as well.

Currently, we have speed cameras that are fining drivers for 65km/h in a 60 zone, or 45km in a 40 zone. We have point-to-point and mounted cameras on highways and red light areas that catch mostly borderline speeders.

Take a long drive on a highway - and it can be mind numbing. Cruise control on, nothing but straight open roads, and you essentially end up driving in formation with those around you. I think that if you were driving a little faster, you'd be paying a bit more attention.

I've lost my train of thought now - as i've wandered way off topic and where I was going.

But - the point that I was trying to make was - even though the above mentioned people (including myself) have nearly doubled the speed limit at some time, its not the end of the world.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #62
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Sounds like a few ppl in this thread have never broken the law.... Model citizens it seems.

I'm coming from the angle of pulling too many innocent dead people from wrecks because of idiots like this. (not you DJM, the driver, lol)

What did they do wrong?

Last edited by usernametaken; 29-11-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #63
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can have the same old argument time in and time out.

I understand, I travel 1000kms a week mostly highway with about 10% city.

But comparing us to Europe is pointless.

our roads aren't made for excessive speeds

we have too much wildlife in our country

We have terrible licensing with pitiful 'training'

we don't have the same upkeep on our cars
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #64
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this newly created thread should be considered before asking about raising speed limits etc...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382912
Old 29-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #65
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
The section of this road where he was snapped is!!

It is nearly brand new, incredibly smooth.

Up to 10 km between on/off ramps

At night (when i have been on it) it has been deserted

This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #66
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That doesn't make it a drag strip. ;)
Old 29-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #67
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky he was only in a V8 and not a turbo 6
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #68
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Look I have been guilty of we'll over 200klm on both cars and bikes. And yes youse are correct in saying if the conditions are right it's not that dangerous. But it was only 8pm on a Sunday night not 2am in the morning. So there would have been others on the road sticking to the speed limit. So he was coming up on cars at 125klm if not over at times. all it takes is someone not to see you coming up on them, and change lanes in front of you. And that 'oh it's all right to do them speed' all of a sudden changes.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #69
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

People say why not do these speeds on a race track, but what track can you get a normal road car, even a moderately souped up road car up to and holding at 220-250kph?
You might realistically flick it up to around 160-200 on the straights on most tracks in Australia, but how many tracks have a nice long straight like Conrod straight?

I'm certainly not advocating driving at mega high speeds on the highways.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #70
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you can have the same old argument time in and time out.

I understand, I travel 1000kms a week mostly highway with about 10% city.

But comparing us to Europe is pointless.

we have too much wildlife in our country

We have terrible licensing with pitiful 'training'

we don't have the same upkeep on our cars
I do read a lot of nonsense about Europe in this forum. In fact there are many similarities even with respect to distances.

1.The new motorways in Australia are every bit the equivalent of those in Europe (if they've got the crossover protection).
2. Ever tried a bit of deer in front of you (and a few other critters)?
3. Granted the training/driver attitudes, but I maintain that the majority of Australian drivers are up there. It's the underperformers who need to be weeded out and reskilled. And nannying always causes dumbing down, not improvement so it's easy to fix that one.
4. There's no proof about the "upkeep" assumption. Australian cars look better maintained to me but the regulations in Europe are a bit stricter. Six of one half a dozen of the other on that one.

OT I found it funny that yesterday I paid 10c a litre more for my first Australian fill than my last European fill a few days earlier. That's another "European myth" that floats around this forum for time to time!
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #71
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB View Post
Dude, try rolling a cigarette.
You cannot smoke and drive at 200 or you will definately die

eventually
Old 29-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm coming from the angle of pulling too many innocent dead people from wrecks because of idiots like this. (not you DJM, the driver, lol)

What did they do wrong?
Yeah my point wasn't if what the person did was right or wrong its more the fact that people have a go at them but have probably done something stupid and broken the law at some point. Me inc, I've had a decent fine and license suspension. Thing is most people on this forum have an interest in cars therefore they are modded aswell and well after putting 2 and 2 together.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #73
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Look I have been guilty of we'll over 200klm on both cars and bikes. And yes youse are correct in saying if the conditions are right it's not that dangerous. But it was only 8pm on a Sunday night not 2am in the morning. So there would have been others on the road sticking to the speed limit. So he was coming up on cars at 125klm if not over at times. all it takes is someone not to see you coming up on them, and change lanes in front of you. And that 'oh it's all right to do them speed' all of a sudden changes.
thongs are only good up to around 180kmh on a bike.. start folding under pegs...
Old 29-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #74
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
thongs are only good up to around 180kmh on a bike.. start folding under pegs...
Could be onto something.

Speed rated safety thongs.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 29-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #75
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deserves it. At that speed you're covering over 62 meters a second. Human reaction time is, at best a couple of seconds.

He's only 22 as well...not like he's got a lifetimes experience of driving at high speeds behind him. Not to mention all the little things no one thinks about, the "what if's?" that should go on in your mind..."what if a tyre blows?"..."what if the engine siezes?", "what if a car two hundred meters ahead changes lanes?".
A friend of mine was killed in a motorbike accident when he was racing along a main road in Bundaberg doing up near 180kph in a 60 zone. A woman saw their headlights in the distance, thought she had plenty of time to pull across the road, but all of a sudden they were on top of her and bang. People aren't used to judging the approach speed of something going well over twice what they expect the normal traffic in that area to be going.

Last night at work I sat outside the train station here and we lost count of the semi trailers, b-doubles, and triples that roared through our small town on the Capricorn Highway, all doing a minimum of 100kph. THe limit through town is 60. We all actually want the cops to come and set up a speed camera or trap here at night...the only problem being that when the cops caught one or two of the ******, the damn truckies would be straight on the two way radio warning everyone else.
Old 29-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #76
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonders how many user's would be defending/speed and idiot driver if it was a commodore ute with chev badges?
Old 29-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #77
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Deserves it. At that speed you're covering over 62 meters a second. Human reaction time is, at best a couple of seconds.

He's only 22 as well...not like he's got a lifetimes experience of driving at high speeds behind him. Not to mention all the little things no one thinks about, the "what if's?" that should go on in your mind..."what if a tyre blows?"..."what if the engine siezes?", "what if a car two hundred meters ahead changes lanes?".
A friend of mine was killed in a motorbike accident when he was racing along a main road in Bundaberg doing up near 180kph in a 60 zone. A woman saw their headlights in the distance, thought she had plenty of time to pull across the road, but all of a sudden they were on top of her and bang. People aren't used to judging the approach speed of something going well over twice what they expect the normal traffic in that area to be going.

Last night at work I sat outside the train station here and we lost count of the semi trailers, b-doubles, and triples that roared through our small town on the Capricorn Highway, all doing a minimum of 100kph. THe limit through town is 60. We all actually want the cops to come and set up a speed camera or trap here at night...the only problem being that when the cops caught one or two of the ******, the damn truckies would be straight on the two way radio warning everyone else.
That would still be two less strucks speeding through your town. -Perhaps random nights sitting with dohnuts in the bush off the side of the road would have truckies more cautious throuh your town.
Old 29-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #78
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Singlets flap around too much aswell.
5 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #79
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Singlets flap around too much aswell.
Bugs get smashed thru the cracks in ya teeth at that speed too

Old 29-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #80
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF View Post
Wonders how many user's would be defending/speed and idiot driver if it was a commodore ute with chev badges?
Wouldn't change my opinion in the slightest, but I see where you're coming from. Alot of one eyed petty people around.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #81
Uwish

So there seems to be a few people that never speed and don't break any laws....
Well done.
I have on numerous occasions gone well above that speed and felt safe.
But always on a "Private Road".... and always in cars built for it. E60 M5 / LP640 / E series hsv / but my WRX got to the top speed the fastest ;) .
Would I do it in a Corolla ? hell no.
Right car and right time ....yes
Old 29-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #82
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

For every story about someone dieing due to speed, there are more where nothing happens. In my friends case, he hit a Kangaroo at 300+ kph riding his Hyabusa in the NT and came away with a broken collar bone because he was knocked out instantly. Crash wreckage was spread almost a kilometre and it still hasn't deterred him from riding, or riding fast for that matter.

The point im trying to make is, that everyone has a story, whether it be tragic, or a success, but, it is up to the individual at the time to make a judgement call whether it be right or wrong. If everyone was honest and not afraid of possible consequences, i am sure the success stories would outweigh the tragic.

I am in no way condoning what this bloke did, as i don't have any of the facts, only what the media chose to feed us.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #83
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there anywhere left in Australia you can legally get your car off the clock?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 29-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #84
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
A chassis dynamometer and Australian Antarctic Territory.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #85
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
It's only illegal if you get caught!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 29-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #86
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Throw the book at him and impound his precious FPV. No sympathy from me. If you want to drive at 225 km/hr, go book yourself a track day, not on a public road. Public roads have to be shared by everyone and we must drive accordingly. What if a little old lady was doing 50 km/hr a few hundred metres up the road? What if he had a blowout? It's 22 year old testosterone charged stupidity and a total lack of consideration for anyone else that may have been using the road at the same time. Maybe 12 months on the bus might teach him a lesson.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #87
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I always thought of that word as Australian slang, flappist.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #88
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
Throw the book at him and impound his precious FPV. No sympathy from me. If you want to drive at 225 km/hr, go book yourself a track day, not on a public road. Public roads have to be shared by everyone and we must drive accordingly. What if a little old lady was doing 50 km/hr a few hundred metres up the road? What if he had a blowout? It's 22 year old testosterone charged stupidity and a total lack of consideration for anyone else that may have been using the road at the same time. Maybe 12 months on the bus might teach him a lesson.
Jimmy status: Subclinically rustled.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 29-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #89
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Sounds like a few ppl in this thread have never broken the law.... Model citizens it seems.
Yep and it is somewhat ironic that many of those who want harsher penalties for what are mostly minor transgressions which, they think, are major tend, themselves, to bend or break rules that they think are minor.

I wonder what would happen if we went back over this thread and applied the T&C in absolute black and white as some want road laws applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&C
1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, politics, sensitive or controversial subjects except at the discretion of the admin team.
2. Posts that are (or could reasonably be considered to be): defamatory, threatening, invasive of privacy, or which otherwise violate any law applicable within Australia.
3. Posts that are disrespectful or insulting to another forum member. Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a reasoned manner.
4. Posts containing advertising material in any form except those posted by or on behalf of supporting site sponsors.
5. Posts containing attempts to avoid the language filter.
6. Posts that are deliberately argumentative or which fail to respect the opinion of another member.
Or should perhaps each post be looked at in context and judged accordingly..........
Old 29-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #90
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What amazes me is the hypocracy... (yes we all have sped blah blah... but 225kmh on a 100kmh zone on a highway? gimme a break).

Police buy a GT and people have a whinge about it....
22yr old idiot goes 225kmh and he is congratulated....

the fact is... LIKE IT OR LUMP IT the speed limit on THAT road is 100kmh.
its not the northern territory.. WHO CARES!!!
Its not the auto bahn...

Under 25s make up for a lot of serious and fatal accidents because they are pretty clueless on the road (yes that included myself and everyone else on here).
Unless they have been racing (gokarts, sprint cars, speedway etc) since they were a teenager, they dont have one idea of just how stupid it is.

What about the drunk weaving on the freeway? or someone talking on the phone? how much reaction time would this twit have? zero...

Oh and the usual.. oh its night time.. how many cars could there be.... there only needs to be ONE car for him to clip and its all over.

Wanna go faster? Stop whinging.. lobby your pollies to build you a track.. or build world class highways and increase the speed limit.
And then adjust everyones attitude on the road, because sadly it seems people really dont seem to give a toss about other motorists out there.

Everytime I go for a blat to Ingham or Ayr or Cairns.... I always see the most dangerous driving and I end up either taking avoiding action or pulling over somewhere so the ****** with the attitude can get the hell away from me (and OMG IM SPEEDING BUT ITS NOT FAST ENOUGH FOR SOME!)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread