Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #61
stevz
Banned

Default Re: Ugly Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
you seriously think the Rio is ugly?

Well it definitely ain't pretty....
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #62
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Ugliest prototype car ever. The Aurora

Not bad, for a car made out of pillows...

my usual nomination, the 76 Subaru Leone
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #63
MONSOON

Current Ford Focus hatch(&sedan), with those what were they thinking taillights and integrated fuel flap(hatch) and the front mostly fake grill is nearly as hideous. very overstyled and is the worse for it

I don't care how well it sells the Mazda 3 is very ugly foward of the windscreen
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #64
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I think half these pictures are from 'fifty of the uglist cars' google it. Even though the AU dosen't do anything for me. It has been bashed to pieces over the years.

And out of all the cars being called ugly on here, somebody wants to defend a Mazda 3. That just too funny.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #65
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda 3 cant be that bad.. -several thousand people per month disagree with you. I suspect that your opinion is not shared by many... lol
Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #66
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Well it definitely ain't pretty....
so you hate the Golf GTi then? it's basically that with more curves. Was designed by someone poached from Audi. He now designs for Land Rover.

what's your definition of a good looking car? SSang Yong? Nissan Cube? maybe a Smart?

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 04-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #67
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so you hate the Golf GTi then? it's basically that with more curves. Was designed by someone poached from Audi. He now designs for Land Rover.

what's your definition of a good looking car? SSang Yong? Nissan Cube? maybe a Smart?
E type Jag or most Aston Martins.
GT450
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #68
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:

I can't believe some of you are defending these little buzz boxes, look some people like and some don't. Just because you own one dosen't mean it's not ugly.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #69
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I can't believe some of you are defending these little buzz boxes, look some people like and some don't. Just because you own one dosen't mean it's not ugly.
i wouldn't have bought it if i thought it was ugly. I'm seriously asking how someone can find a somewhat elegant contemporary design ugly? if you find it ugly then more power to you, i'm asking for reasoning, nothing more. Is it because it doesn't have a big-block and it's made after the 1970's? Problem with these forums is more often than not, these conversations are never analytical, they're more like a bunch of blokes at the pub out-weeing one another with overly aussie jocularity.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #70
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
what were Toyota thinking???
I'll tell you what they were thinking:

People are victims of fashion.
Fashion victims will spend.
We have an obligation to take money from idiots.
We can make a bundle out of this.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #71
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's my ugly list:

Porsche Cayenne. Vomit.
Porche Panamera. Photos just don't do justice to how ugly these are in real life
Morris Marina. If they ran long enough to get out in public, you'd know what I mean.
Austin Kimberley. Which end is the front and which end is the back?
Mercedes CLS. Yuk. Just - yuk. The AU was a supercar compared to this.
BMW X6. What's the point? Why is it so ugly? Why do my eyes bleed so?
Pretty much anything out of Korea.
Holden utes with Pontiac front noses. Give 'butt ugly' a new definition. They remind me of when people used to fit Trans-Am fronts to Kingswoods. They looked crap too.
The early XR6 & XR8 AU models. That front bumper and quad headlight set up looked like it was homemade in someone's shed. The fit & finish did it no favours either. Car was excellent otherwise.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #72
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
i wouldn't have bought it if i thought it was ugly. I'm seriously asking how someone can find a somewhat elegant contemporary design ugly? if you find it ugly then more power to you, i'm asking for reasoning, nothing more. Is it because it doesn't have a big-block and it's made after the 1970's? Problem with these forums is more often than not, these conversations are never analytical, they're more like a bunch of blokes at the pub out-weeing one another with overly aussie jocularity.
Look I don't really like the look of hatches or many small cars, dosen't mean I wouldn't own one. I would buy one because it's cheap on fuel and it great for running chores. But at no time would I sit there and gaze at it, just get out and get the shopping out. You're on the wrong track if you think it's because it's not an old school V8. I'm glad people like you are into these cars, and think they're a good looking unit. ***********************

Last edited by wulos; 04-12-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate content
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #73
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
I'm glad people like you are into these cars, and think they're a good looking unit. Because fat and ugly girls need loving aswell.
thanks again for illustrating my point with such potency

either the conversation rises above adolescent level or the thread will be closed, just like the many before it with exactly the same topic.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #74
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Something to lighten the mood:

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #75
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
thanks again for illustrating my point with such potency

either the conversation rises above adolescent level or the thread will be closed, just like the many before it with exactly the same topic.
So you hear something you don't like, and now you threating to close the thread? And who's being childish now? Every comment I make is light hearted. You know what they say about people in glass houses.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #76
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
Not bad, for a car made out of pillows...

my usual nomination, the 76 Subaru Leone

Now...if you took one of those and whacked WRX running gear underneath it, you'd have the ultimate sleeper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888 View Post
I'll tell you what they were thinking:

People are victims of fashion.
Fashion victims will spend.
We have an obligation to take money from idiots.
We can make a bundle out of this.
The FJ Cruiser? We're buying one early next year...why, you ask? Easy:
They have one level of trim, with everything thrown in, stuff you normally have to tick off a page of options for on other makes of fourbie...a very good sat nav system, good high ground clearance, proper off road ability with high mounted remote diff breathers and high air intake, proper low range, excellent entry and exit angles, part time four wheel drive so it gets amazing (for it's size and shape) fuel economy in "normal driving", one of the best petrol V6's around...the list goes on.

Best of all, when you're inside it, you can't see what it looks like!

Last edited by 2011G6E; 04-12-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #77
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
So you hear something you don't like, and now you threating to close the thread? And who's being childish now? Every comment I make is light hearted. You know what they say about people in glass houses.
I don't think you're understanding what i typed. i couldn't care less if you like any of the cars i like, i was asking for actual reasoning for which you still gave nothing of substance, just childish quips thrown in. ***********

So long as the conversation rises above pre-school level, the thread can stay for a while. These threads have come and gone many times and are always closed due to childish rubbish. I hope that's clearer.

Last edited by wulos; 04-12-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Removed quoted inappropriate content
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #78
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ANY car made in China or India.

Nothing to do with their build quality, they just cannot make a car look good.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #79
bang_on33
Force 6

My picks for the ugliest cars on the road at the moment:

1. Nissan Cube

2. Nissan Micra

3. Nissan Leaf
Force 6 #24
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #80
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nissan Cube reminded me of:

Toyota Rukus
Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #81
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Nissan Cube reminded me of:

Toyota Rukus
yeah it's basically the same thing, with the Rukus being the Oz version of the Scion XB, horrible looking cars, but popular as heck in Japan.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #82
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
I don't think you're understanding what i typed. i couldn't care less if you like any of the cars i like, i was asking for actual reasoning for which you still gave nothing of substance, just childish quips thrown in.

So long as the conversation rises above pre-school level, the thread can stay for a while. These threads have come and gone many times and are always closed due to childish rubbish. I hope that's clearer.
Ok thanks for clarifying but I still can't give a reason why they look ugly. Because everybody has differrent taste and will look at the same car differently. I guess I don't like the shape of hatches, but I don't know why. I just look and think 'yuk'.

Last edited by wulos; 04-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #83
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

fair enough, i never used to like them until i owned one back in the early 2000's. They'll never be the be-all-end-all to me, they've always been daily's. Very easy to manoeuvre in traffic, great in city driving and simple parking.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #84
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what a Scion looks like.

Box cars don't work for me. Another example is the Kia R-Soul

Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #85
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

that's the old scion, the newer one is virtually identical to the Rukus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_xB
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #86
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kia R-Soul. Am I the only one who thinks that is the most appropriate car name ever?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #87
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hybrids.

Let me qualify that...hybrids apart from the Camry and Honda Civic Hybrids.

When the Prius came out, people asked why it had to look like that instead of, as the Honda Civic, a "normal" car with a hybrid system underneath it.

The answer was that focus groups showed that Prius drivers didn't only want to drive a hybrid...more importantly they wanted to be seen to be driving a hybrid...as sort of statement of "look at me and how green and environmentally friendly I am and you are not" thing.

The Camry hybrid looks like any other Camry, until you have a close look and notice the hybrid badge and blue-rimmed Toyota symbol. This is how it should be...why deliberately make it look odd just to project an image of how you are a good green citizen? Why not make them look like normal cars?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #88
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the point of saving the planet if no one sees you doing it?
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #89
stevz
Banned

Quote:
so you hate the Golf GTi then? it's basically that with more curves.

Yeah come to think of it, it does look like a Golf GTi.......

That's been rear ended by a B-Double.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #90
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Yeah come to think of it, it does look like a Golf GTi.......

That's been rear ended by a B-Double.
please take the time to read what has already been posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
Problem with these forums is more often than not, these conversations are never analytical, they're more like a bunch of blokes at the pub out-weeing one another with overly aussie jocularity.
Quote:
So long as the conversation rises above pre-school level, the thread can stay for a while. These threads have come and gone many times and are always closed due to childish rubbish.
then think before posting your next comment, and if it's just more garbage it'll be deleted.
Closed Thread