Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #61
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Want Proof Speed Cameras are nothing more than Revenue Raisers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I got an idea on how you can **** up their budget hehehehehe - don't speed.
People have been slowing down. But what does the GovCo do? Reduce limits further. I have only seen over the past 2 decades a reduction on major arterials across Melbourne. Funny enough most of these major roads have fixed speed cameras. Princess Hwy, Stud Rd and Springvale Rd just to name a few. Went for a drive Saturday inbound on the Monash FWY. Just before the new cameras at High St the speed was reduced to 80 from 100 for no reason. No breakdowns, hazards nor any signs saying anything about hazards. Too bad if you didn't notice the speed reduction as you will be losing 3 points and 2-3 days pay going to GovCo...
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #62
drlou
Starter Motor

Here in the northeast U.S, unmanned speed cameras are somewhat rare but I never see radar enforcement during commuter time with speeders, right lane passing, and zig-zagging rampant. However, go for a Sunday morning drive with no traffic around and you're sure to go past 2 or 3 traps. Safety or revenue?
drlou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #63
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...coming-traffic
Old 15-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #64
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
"The driver of a black jeep was driving down the Bruce Highway on Friday when at the last second the car in front appears to notice a speed camera, causing the driver to urgently break"

Sure did break the car behind him!!
Old 15-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #65
tonys6550

I just got a speeding ticket in the mail.

Checked the date and location and quite frankly was surprised. I was snapped doing 58km/h in a 50km/h zone at 3.30pm on a Sunday afternoon on a back street in an industrial area in the northern suburbs of Perth Go figure.

My contribution to the public purse for this misdemeanour, $100 thank you very much! Flaming mongrels.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #66
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post

Checked the date and location and quite frankly was surprised. I was snapped doing 58km/h in a 50km/h zone at 3.30pm on a Sunday afternoon on a back street in an industrial area in the northern suburbs of Perth Go figure.

My contribution to the public purse for this misdemeanour, $100 thank you very much! Flaming mongrels.
That's another point..."prompt action".

Most people don't mind if a cop pulls you over and fines you if you sort of know you've been speeding...fair cop, the officer gives you a revving, and off you go. Usually a lot slower than you arrived.

But a fine turning up in the mail two weeks later? Think back, quickly...what speed were you driving at two weeks ago, at 4:35pm? Exactly now, within a couple of kilometers per hour, no guessing.
I'd have literally no bloody idea. But the fine claims you have done it, and who is going to take a couple of days off work and still be told you're guilty and have to pay up?

I'd rather see money spent on those roadside signs that light up and say "Check your speed" with a measurement of how fast you are going...it's a prompt to have a look at your speedo, and it too will "change behaviour" but of course without the (very profitable) big stick approach.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #67
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
"The driver of a black jeep was driving down the Bruce Highway on Friday when at the last second the car in front appears to notice a speed camera, causing the driver to urgently break"

Love the first line, 'Speed cameras have been blamed', seriously as the footage clearly shows retarded drivers are to blame, the jeep driver was tail gating.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #68
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

But a fine turning up in the mail two weeks later? Think back, quickly...what speed were you driving at two weeks ago, at 4:35pm? Exactly now, within a couple of kilometers per hour, no guessing.
I'd have literally no bloody idea. But the fine claims you have done it, and who is going to take a couple of days off work and still be told you're guilty and have to pay up?
Maybe they take 2-3 weeks knowing that any footage on a dash cam may have been written over by that time. The GPS speed is pretty accurate on mine and shows exact location and time with speed.
Old 16-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #69
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Think of all the lives that have now been saved!!
Old 16-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #70
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd rather see money spent on those roadside signs that light up and say "Check your speed" with a measurement of how fast you are going...it's a prompt to have a look at your speedo, and it too will "change behaviour" but of course without the (very profitable) big stick approach.
They tried those signs on the M1 Motorway, they worked great, 'hoons' (for lack of a better word) were seeing what the highest reading was they could get while their mates filmed it, worked so well they had to turn them off

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #71
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really you reckon most don't mind?

I beg to differ. The usual complaint in person is that the officer should be targeting a different offence thereby ignoring detected motorists infraction

Quote:

Most people don't mind if a cop pulls you over and fines you if you sort of know you've been speeding...fair cop, the officer gives you a revving, and off you go. Usually a lot slower than you arrived.

xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #72
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a thought, if governments are relying on speed trap revenue, if that is suddenly removed or reduced aren't they going to need to get that money from somewhere else?

Say tomorrow all speed cameras in Australia are suddenly turned off (or even 25% of them), the government is going to be down hundreds of millions of dollars, they wont just forget about it they will get that money from somewhere else, higher taxes and EVERYONE has to pay.

I prefer the current system, only those who aren't careful enough not to get caught pay.

Don't not speed, just don't get caught... if safe to do so of course.

I speed, I admit that, recently I was caught (cop with a hair dryer pulled me over, not a camera) because after 13 years of driving and avoiding ever being caught I become complacent in my cop and camera detection senses. 21km/h over, since I had a clean record for 10+ years I was let off with a warning. Since then, the senses have sharpened up a bit!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #73
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
Australian Police would make a killing here in Canada, on the highways/freeways here, most seem to do ATLEAST 20km/h above the posted limits, took a while to get used to it, now I hope I don't follow the trend back home in a week
Australian Police and governments are already making a killing.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #74
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloke making the right point the wrong way:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-240km-h.html

Quote:
Watch as a driver tries to argue his way out of a speeding ticket by calling the police liars ... and then clocks up a speed of 240km/h
Man pulled over for speeding claimed police were 'lying' to him
He said the 110km/h speed limit is 'killing us' and is 'murder'
After failing to talk his way out of a ticket, he sped off at 240km/h
By NICOLE LOW FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
PUBLISHED: 10:43 EST, 7 October 2015 | UPDATED: 10:49 EST, 7 October 2015

A man who failed to argue his way out of a ticket for driving nine kilometres per hour over the speed limit showed his contempt for the law by speeding off at 240km/h - 130km/h over the 110km/h speed limit.
The man was pulled over on an Australian highway and began to argue with the offices immediately.
In a video posted on Police in the Area’s Facebook page, the man is heard accusing officers of ‘lying’ to him.
Man driving well over speed limit tries to argue out of fine

A man claims police lied to him about a speed limit

A policeman writes up a ticket (left) as another officer tries to reason with a driver who had been driving at 119km/h in a 110km/h zone
‘I don’t like being lied to … to tell me that doing 119 is an unsafe speed on this road is a lie,’ the driver says.
When a policeman asks him what the posted speed limit is, the man replies, ‘I don’t care what the posted speed limit is. We both know it’s 110 … it’s killing us.’
‘Anything over 110 is deemed dangerous,’ the policeman advises as two officers write up a ticket in the background.

The driver defiantly challenges him, claiming 119km/h is ‘not dangerous at all’.
‘What skills and qualifications do you have to say that anything above 110 isn’t dangerous?’ the policeman asks before the video footage abruptly cuts away to a frontal view of a car being driven.
As a speedometer on the bottom right hand corner of the camera rises rapidly - hitting more than 240km/h - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’s song ‘I Won't Back Down’ plays in the background.

A man nabbed for speeding airs his views on speed limits and fines
The main claims driving within the speed limit is dangerous, and urges drivers who speed not to pay fines

The main claims driving within the speed limit is dangerous, and urges drivers who speed not to pay fines
The speedometer fluctuates for the rest of the video, staying on the high 100s.
Towards the end, a caption appears on the video.
‘Being forced to drive at 100ks and falling asleep isn’t fatigue it’s murder [sic],’ the caption says.
The man who failed to argue his way out of a speeding ticket sped away at more than 240km/h (bottom right corner)

The man who failed to argue his way out of a speeding ticket sped away at more than 240km/h (bottom right corner)
The man, who was pulled over for speeding, continued to speed well over the limit of 110km/h (bottom right corner)

The man, who was pulled over for speeding, continued to speed well over the limit of 110km/h (bottom right corner)
The video was uploaded on Dave Nucifora’s Facebook page. According to the page, Mr Nucifora lives in Melbourne.
It’s not immediately clear if Mr Nucifora is the man arguing with police in the video.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Mr Nucifora for comment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3nqFSam7K
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
That would have to be the Victorian police, I'm sure in NSW they'd tolerate 119 depending on the circumstances.

That said, I note that the road doesn't have crossover barriers or protection from roadside trees so technically it isn't prepared for higher speeds.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #75
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And police certainly love roads where the speed limit changes. The ICB is a favourite. Westbound traffic has a 70 km/h zone, which drops to 60 km/h after the Clem 7 entrance, then goes back up to 70 km/h before the entrance to the Legacy Way, only to drop down to 60 km/h again barely 400m later. The Road Policing Command loves it.
I used to drive ICB most days on the way to and from work. Weekdays they never get you, it's at a crawl. Weekends were always a different matter, but they were NOT located near speed changes.

The westbound did drop to 60 after the clem7 entry due to merging traffic from another road just before entering the tunnel under Bowen Bridge. There would usually be a camera van at the exit to the tunnel, well after the speed limit change, and you'd be going up a hill towards it so your car would be slowing unless you put your foot down.

They'd also put one at the entry to the same tunnel eastbound, but again, nowhere near any speed changes as it was 60 all the way through due to roadworks. Now it goes up to 80 and then drops to 70 as you leave the tunnel.

Heading westbound there'd often be motorcycle cops just past the Legacy Way entrance, but again, nowhere near a change in speed limit, just around a bend so you don't see them until too late.

I can't say that it's a black spot, but it's certainly a place a lot of people speed. It probably doesn't reduce accidents in that area, but I guess the idea is to slow people down in general. I wouldn't say it's fraudulent to fine people for breaking the law.

Simple fact of the matter is no one would be paying those fines if they weren't breaking the law in the first place. There's a limited number of ways to punish people for it, so fines it is. Lose licence if you do it often enough, but I don't think we want to see people going to prison for speeding (unless they kill or injure someone).
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 01:55 AM   #76
prydey
Rob

A quick scan through this thread, and I reckon if I was in the business of selling tin foil hats, I'd be rich.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #77
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Be thankful your not in victoria/ Melbourne , not long ago i got nabbed for exceeding the speed limit by 7 k`s in a 50 zone which i might add was unintentional on my part, i took off from a stand still and let it over run a tad before i readjusted the speed,Edit: i did not even know there was a splash for cash there ,
the time i did i got snapped , it was after 6 pm , allowing for speed camera accuracy of 3 kph and maybe a couple of kph on the cars speedo and the fact your just barely doing any speed, and 7 kph is barely even noticeable in a modern car.

It cost me 190 bucks, does 190 bucks sound excessive ?
i reckon it does , but i got nabbed and ill wear it, but i still think the fines are way out of kilter most definitely revenue based,
i got a good driving award a couple of years ago, which is really bull**** anyway , it just means you havent been nabbed for x amount of years , by the same token apart from a quick squirt to the limit,
my days of tearing around are long long behind me , never the less these days you really do have to watch the speedo more than the road , because if you go over the limit by even a minute amount accidently by a momentary distraction, lapse in concentration , or by intent for a minimal speed infraction even for 5 seconds , the powers that be will rape your wallet too excess like a thieving bastards they are.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #78
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speed cameras and fines work - really then why do fines collected (even fines per camera) keep increaseing.

if speed is the primary cause of less than 6% of crashes, it seems a bit hard to justify the fines imposed. Sure it is a contributing cause of 1 million percent of accidents but so is temperature, humidity, drivers dexterity, widescreen quality, tires, suspension conditions, road conditions, road surface, aero dynamics of the side mirror of the car(so is a butterfly flapping its wings in the amazon if you want to get down to a small enough percentage)

but then again, if you cant slow down fast enough or cant see a speed camera, your probably not paying attention any way (vic is a bit different - those jerks would hide a speed camera in their mums knickers if it got them 2 bucks in extra revenue.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #79
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The expenditure on speed detection is out of proportion to the road toll. If plods spent as much money on the other causes, road toll would go down.
Old 29-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #80
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I passed 2 notices on the way to work this morning.

First was a billboard with a picture of a mobile speed camera with a caption along the lines of:
"Speed cameras reduce road tolls"

The second was an electronic sign above the road stating:
"NSW road fatalities up in 2016"
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #81
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Trev wins at the internet today, close thread now.
Simple problem solving is remove the root cause, if you don't speed then you remove the root cause of the problem.
Problem solved means nothing to complain about, only people who complain about speed cameras are the ones who get caught!!!
We did that and the tolerance got lower and lower, 3kms at the moment isn't it?, If we were all good they would just target the 1km over, or jump on other non issues like distraction etc.

The system relies on money, the money has to come from somewhere!, don't think the governments or fat police will let the system die, it only gets bigger. Cant wait until we are all slaves and have a chip in out brain, then they can get us for thinking about speeding before it happens.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #82
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scotland has the right idea. Never happen here !!!
"The Scottish Government has been accused of “state surveillance gone mad” after a new police crackdown was announced against motorists driving just above the speed limit.

Police Scotland has secured legal powers to issue formal warnings to drivers who are caught doing a few miles per hour over the limit.

Motorists just over the speed limit do not normally face any action, with police only booking speeders who are around 10 per cent over the limit.

However, the police warnings are part of a drive by the Chief Constable Sir Stephen House to make tackling road deaths a top priority for the force along with violence and anti-social behaviour.

Traffic officers will start to issue the warnings, which will not result in a conviction, fine or penalty points, later this year under a six-month pilot scheme focused on accident black spots.

Senior officers believe the use of formal warnings for drivers could be more effective than existing informal warnings.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-gone-mad.html
Old 29-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #83
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
bugger
Cmon Trev you honestly expect in the peoples republic of Victoria that Chairman Dan would reward you for doing the right thing.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #84
Ansimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Scotland has the right idea. Never happen here !!!
"The Scottish Government has been accused of “state surveillance gone mad” after a new police crackdown was announced against motorists driving just above the speed limit.

Police Scotland has secured legal powers to issue formal warnings to drivers who are caught doing a few miles per hour over the limit.

Motorists just over the speed limit do not normally face any action, with police only booking speeders who are around 10 per cent over the limit.

However, the police warnings are part of a drive by the Chief Constable Sir Stephen House to make tackling road deaths a top priority for the force along with violence and anti-social behaviour.

Traffic officers will start to issue the warnings, which will not result in a conviction, fine or penalty points, later this year under a six-month pilot scheme focused on accident black spots.

Senior officers believe the use of formal warnings for drivers could be more effective than existing informal warnings.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-gone-mad.html
Hope they have more luck with their anti speeding program in Scotland than what has happened here in Queensland.
Record revenue from speeding fines and no noticible reduction in road deaths :(
Ansimp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #85
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post

It's a point to point camera and there's really very little reason for drivers to freak out when they see it... but they do.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post