Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #61
gocruzin
Ford tragic

The ranger is a mazda in drag and made by the japs I would not own one of them either
Old 18-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #62
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Haha, nice one, Full Noise.

Does anything manufactured that's good ever come out of that polluting country? Only an idiot would buy a Chinese made vehicle anyway.
you better open up that pc your posting on and have a look inside.

what do you mean by that polluting country? case of the kettle calling the pot black?

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...0910-fjdt.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...-revealed.html

Last edited by lostdude; 18-01-2010 at 02:09 AM.
lostdude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the mitsu driveline they are probably reliable enough, but the way they crumple up is positively scarey, there`s a reason why they are so cheapout:.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #64
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Mate picked up his Great Wall today so took it for a run (read very leisurely cruise!) For the price paid, 28k which includes all accessories, nudge bar, tow pack, tub liner etc .... it is quite a surprising drive ..... very slow ..... but surprising. For the price paid, less than $29,000 than a Navara with leather etc, it is perfect for what he wants to do.
I presume one of the ute models?

Tell him/her the V240 warning triangle is located behind the rear DS seat backrest (see yellow label).

The V220 has the triangle UNDER the DS rear seat bottom, again see yellow label! (Mahindra's have the triangle too - utes have hard ride, farmers will like em).

:-)

* V240 has rear fogs
* V220 has rear fogs (lower red part of taillights combined with reflex reflector), but no activating switch.

Saw a white GW SUV today, neat and clean, same features, but for me the rear seats 'bum' area is too small, great for kids, grannies and some women. Front seats fine.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #65
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I have discovered the reason for the seatbelt failure, it's stated quite clearly in this warning: they didn't test them the right way

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #66
stevefj45

The price is a bit steep when you compare it to any other Chinese motor vehicle

But for the price you cant expect to live if you crash
stevefj45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #67
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP
I think I have discovered the reason for the seatbelt failure, it's stated quite clearly in this warning: they didn't test them the right way

i don't get it? :
Old 18-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #68
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw one on the Hume Hwy last weekend. These look pretty good. Styling is quite nice and not too bad. Was a burgandy colour. Nice.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #69
luckykar

A mate was talking about buying one on the weekend , I have just sent him the link.....
luckykar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #70
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
You Australians always complain. You fat people, that why seat belt no work. Our Great Wall is best wall and our cars are best cars. We all skinny people over here and we have no ploblem here with seat belts, most no even wear them.

You think I say solly, but I don’t. If you didn’t buy our fantastic car, no one would know about ploblem, you just make trouble.

We have way of dealing with trouble maker.
Best quote...EVER!
:
Old 18-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #71
timmey
Starter Motor

Quote:
So when you drove one, did you think it was that bad .... especially considering the money?
Narr ,I havn't driven one , I expect for the dollar it would be good value , but I feel a copy of anther car is a real rip off . Although the Japs have been doing it years ago such as the 77' celica looking as a shorten mustang !!
I'll put my big mouth on the table and say these Great wall cars will go the same way as the Lada and the early Daewoos. Although saying this.....it is very possible for them to bring out a good design and go along the same road as Hyundai.
Who can remember those early '' Say hi to Hyundai '' ads on TV !!!
timmey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #72
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmey
Narr ,I havn't driven one , I expect for the dollar it would be good value , but I feel a copy of anther car is a real rip off . Although the Japs have been doing it years ago such as the 77' celica looking as a shorten mustang !!
I'll put my big mouth on the table and say these Great wall cars will go the same way as the Lada and the early Daewoos. Although saying this.....it is very possible for them to bring out a good design and go along the same road as Hyundai.
Who can remember those early '' Say hi to Hyundai '' ads on TV !!!
Who knows what will happen but when you are the fastest growing car company with the biggest market at your door step ... they will either implode (unlikely) or become a power in the auto world (likely)

They are not necessarily copying, just buying component from other manufacturers. Hence the Mitsubishi drive line. Don't forget Ford and Mazda has been doing it for ages. When you turn up to another company and say "I would like 1,000.000 of those" you can get a bit of a discount! Why reinvent the wheel when you can buy it off the shelf ready to go.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #73
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Quote:
Who knows what will happen but when you are the fastest growing car company with the biggest market at your door step ... they will either implode (unlikely) or become a power in the auto world (likely)

Are you sellig these things Dave or you getting a royalty every time you post
(Just Kidding).
Ill agree to dissagree. If it suits your mates purpose then more power to him I peronaly want to try and keep my money in Australia. and that is getting harder to do every day, thats pretty much the only reason I wouldn't buy a chinese car (That being said im on a toshiba computer and own a Ps3) so I guess I am giving money to the chinese in a way.

Boggles the mind when you think about it
Old 19-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #74
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
Are you sellig these things Dave or you getting a royalty every time you post
(Just Kidding).
Ill agree to dissagree. If it suits your mates purpose then more power to him I peronaly want to try and keep my money in Australia. and that is getting harder to do every day, thats pretty much the only reason I wouldn't buy a chinese car (That being said im on a toshiba computer and own a Ps3) so I guess I am giving money to the chinese in a way.

Boggles the mind when you think about it
Pick up my cut next week

I would prefer to buy Australian as well .... but its a bit hard in the ute market though.

I have been to China quite a few times to their manufacturing plants and the quality and attention to detail on some items is astounding. When you walk into a factory and see German or Italian machinery and talk to floor managers who are from the all over the world, it is an eye opener. Even over the past 5 years things have changed massively. You can still easily buy 'really cheap crap' or for a little bit more from the right places you can buy 'really cheap good stuff'

The days of bagging a product solely because it comes from wherever isnt quite right anymore ..... they are offering huge money to buy the expertise to make a quality product. They worked out a while back what is required to break into the world market and it isn't price alone.

If anyone bags from direct experience .... no worries

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #75
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
i don't get it? :
Chinese translations or "chinglish".... How else do you fasten your seatbelt? Perhaps the testers weren't aware that seatbelts wont work if you, ummm, for example, fasten them whilst standing on your head?
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #76
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great walls care called that because you need to avoid great walls in them cause if you dont your seatbelt will fail and you will be dead - but its all good nobody to sue for the incompetence....

way to fail great wall, and on a side note was the person that designed them on crack cocaine or something talk about the new measure for ugly they have set a new benchmark! I seen a couple of these things in a dealership and baulked the thing is awful inside and out even my 12 year old daughter said "is this an old car dad?" I laughed at her - she made the call due to the interior looking worse than a 15 year old falcon in terms of wear and tear, can't even buy one to use as a paddock workhorse on the farm, they aren't even good enough for that.. I chose not to drive the thing even though the dealer dude was pushing for me to take a drive I told him "I choose life"

look at how a ford focus handles the ancap crash test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC71R-vdbtI

more of a competitor to the neese cars I think than the falcon - I feel it fares quite well with minimal passenger cell distortion if any at all

Holden special vehicles - for special people

Last edited by mrbaxr6t; 19-01-2010 at 01:25 PM.
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #77
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My main concern with the cars is still the poor crash rating the vehicles received (2 stars - when other manufacturers are striving for 5 stars)

As for cost yes they are cheap, but I expect their resale value to be poor (my opinion) Not everyone can afford a brand new hilux - however I would suspect that you would be better off buying a second hand Hilux for a similiar price to a new Great Wall vehicle and have a safer vehicle with more power etc.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #78
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting that not one person places value on crash avoidance.
Instead, you are all quoting ANCAP ratings...

This thing could have a 5 star crash rating for all I care, but if it's crash avoidance capability is RS, then I would NEVER buy one regardless of where or by who it's made !
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #79
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

With regards to crash stats the one thing I have noticed is that in another recent thread people were going at it hammer and tongs about Trees and roadsides.

In that thread the 'perfect' drivers were basically saying "Trees are fine on the roadside, if you drive properly you wont crash."

However here most seem to be assuming that owning a Great Wall would be inviting instant death!
Old 19-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #80
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6

This thing could have a 5 star crash rating for all I care, but if it's crash avoidance capability is RS, then I would NEVER buy one regardless of where or by who it's made !
that requires the thing between the seat and steering wheel to take responsibility for its own actions, like thats gonna happen, easier to blame the car or the road.
Old 20-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #81
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6

I beleive the ANCAP tests do take into account crash avoidance to obtain 5 stars the vehicle needs stability control, ABS etc, even things like seat belts reminders can make the difference between 4 stars and 5 stars.

We quote ANCAP ratings becasue its a subjective test (and pretty much all we have to determine the safety of a vehicle)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #82
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Thats a bit rich coming from a Festiva owner don't ya think?
What I used to own has no bearing on what I said. If I drove an F150 or a modern Euro with all the electronic gadgets and airbags I would still say the same thing.

Yeah, the good old Festiva... I walked into the Ford dealership at 19 with 15 grand cash caus I wanted to reward myself for breaking my balls working 7 days a week....

Meh, thats the past, times change. I now do drive a modern Euro with the 6 airbags and the electro gadgetry....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #83
SVTVNM
Guzzler

2nd Recall in 6 months

Second safety recall in six months for Chinese-made ute
The Great Wall Motors V240 ute is being recalled for the second time in six months -- this time because of a potentially faulty handbrake.

The latest recall affects 2514 vehicles, and follows the recall of about 2300 Great Wall utes in December 2009, because of a potential seatbelt retractor failure.

This latest problem was identified after the handbrake on a Great Wall ute in Tasmania disengaged and the vehicle rolled backwards into a gate. No-one was injured.

According to a spokesman for Great Wall Motors in Australia, the handbrake on the V240 ute can disengage if the handbrake is "bumped with some force" laterally.

Typically, the handbrake, located left of the driver's lower seat cushion, is pulled upwards. According to the company, the handbrake on the cheaper SA220 ute is not affected.

The handbrake problem was detected after Great Wall Motors' service and after-sales manager noticed a number of handbrake items being ordered by dealers, but it is unknown how many customers complained of a handbrake failure.

A spokesman for Great Wall Motors also said the vehicle's Owner's Handbook advises customers to also engage the car in gear while it is parked.

The replacement handbrake parts are being air-freighted to Australia from China, the local distributor said.

"We are taking every step to have the issue rectified as swiftly as possible, and with the least possible inconvenience to our customers," says Daniel Cotterill, the spokesman for Great Wall Motors in Australia.

In addition to receiving a new handbrake assembly, the owner of the V240 ute that rolled backwards into a gate had the body damage to his vehicle repaired under warranty.

Meanwhile, in other recent recall news:

•Chrysler is recalling three Dodge Calibers sold locally, for a possible sticking accelerator;
•Mazda is recalling more than 21,000 BT-50 utes because the bonnet latch may disengage on bumpy roads;
•Mitsubishi is inspecting more than 200 Evo X sedans for potential clutch fluid leaks;
•Volvo is recalling 40 of its XC90 softroaders (powered by a 3.2-litre petrol engine) for a potentially defective fuel line leak that could lead to an engine bay fire.

Read the latest Carsales Network news and reviews on your mobile, iPhone or PDA at www.carsales.mobi

To comment on this article click here
Published : Friday, 7 May 2010
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #84
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once we made televisions and radios in Australia.

I remember when the first Chinese TVs and Videos were released. They were crap and no one in their right mind would buy them regardless of how cheap they were.
Gradually quality improved and now all you can get is Chinese made TVs as all the Australian companies either went broke or moved manufacturing offshore.

If you wish you can substitute computers, telephones, tools, tyres, furniture........

Think about this question and then see how many people you can convince with a lie.....

If there was a Chinese made Falcon GT style vehicle that sold new for $25k with the same build quality and styling as the real Falcon GT, the same or better performance, a longer warranty and a similar or better service structure would you buy it instead of a $65k Falcon GT?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #85
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

It’s only a minor issue and it looks like they’re on top of it. It least they went to the trouble of having a recall instead of just waiting for people to complain and repairing them on the quiet.

It looks like there’s been a similar issue with the FG.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/973346

And back on the subject of seatbelts, there wasn’t much noise about the recall from Porsche with the seatbelt issue on the new Panamera.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/974408
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #86
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a new vehicle here and there is always going to be drama's.
However saying that "it's crap because it comes from China " is now 10yrs behind.

Admittingly China used to make cheap and nasty products (and still does).
However look at just about every single major brand applicane in your home and you will see a "Made In China" sticker on it.

This includes my motherboard (ASUS), RAM, Hard drive, Keyboard and Mouse (Microsoft), my DELL Monitor, my office chair ! (My EPSON Printer is philipino!)

Most new plasma and LCD TVs are made in China (even the crappy ones which catch fire)

My HD set box is Chinese.

When you look at their military the Chinese have "copied" just about everything they have. From Helicopters, front line fighters, warships, tanks, surface to air missile sytems, radar.... all reversed engineered and found to be of better quality then its Russian counterparts.
Not only that they have designed and built their own fighters.

Remember that China has the sheer man power to build ANYTHING it wants.
Dont forget that they dont pay for education, uni, medical treatments etc.... Im pretty sure public transport is free too??

So their wages yes are lower, but they have less to pay for.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #87
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just realise that China wont always be the cheap factory of the West, there will be a time when China will want everything the West has, and will no longer be willing to do repetitive tasks for next to nothing.
If you want quality stuff, its still made in China and its still expensive (like tools, computers, electronics etc)
When China makes quality cars, it wont be bargain basement price that you expect.
Are people willing to pay premium prices for a car made in China? That is the question.
The reason these Utes are cheap is that they use two/three generation old Isuzu vehicles with a 15yo Mitsubishi engine.

Look at the new VW Amorak, premium vehicle, premium brand, premium price but will still made in the third World.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
What I used to own has no bearing on what I said. If I drove an F150 or a modern Euro with all the electronic gadgets and airbags I would still say the same thing.

Yeah, the good old Festiva... I walked into the Ford dealership at 19 with 15 grand cash caus I wanted to reward myself for breaking my balls working 7 days a week....

Meh, thats the past, times change. I now do drive a modern Euro with the 6 airbags and the electro gadgetry....
We still own a Festiva, it just goes and goes, no matter how crap you treat it, not bad for a Kia, with a Mazda engine and a Ford badge stuck on it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #89
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
In addition to receiving a new handbrake assembly, the owner of the V240 ute that rolled backwards into a gate had the body damage to his vehicle repaired under warranty.

Meanwhile, in other recent recall news:

•Chrysler is recalling three Dodge Calibers sold locally, for a possible sticking accelerator;
•Mazda is recalling more than 21,000 BT-50 utes because the bonnet latch may disengage on bumpy roads;
•Mitsubishi is inspecting more than 200 Evo X sedans for potential clutch fluid leaks;
•Volvo is recalling 40 of its XC90 softroaders (powered by a 3.2-litre petrol engine) for a potentially defective fuel line leak that could lead to an engine bay fire.
And to balance this....

According to CHOICE magazine...
Ford has recalled certain.
Ford F-series.
Ford Explorer.
Ford Econoline.

The under bonnet speed control deactivation switch mounted on the brake system may leak, possibly resulting in an under bonnet fire
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #90
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pot calling the kettle black if you bag out Great Wall for their handbrake after the Ford BA handbrake (or lack of) fiasco.