Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #61
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly dont get it, speeding is a road rule, and on the autobahn in Germany there is no speed limit, as there used to be in the Northern Territory, suddenly 2 years ago a speed limit was posted, and the roads then "suddenly" became unsafe to drive on above the speed limit.
So why ?
I absolutely agree that in built up areas there should be speed limits and you should abide by them, however, I dispute some roads that are set at 50 Kmh limits, if they carry a significant amount of traffic then they should be 60 Kmh, even in the city, why make roads 50 Kmh when pedestrian lights are installed at every corner ?

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #62
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4L BOSS 320
We are talking about dangerous speeds in areas where there shouldn't be any right? Hence "there is a time and a place"....
Not at all, from what i can gather Norm is enquiring as to what goes through someones head to even consider travelling at these speeds, wether they consider anyone but themselves and the outcomes should it all go wrong.
To conduct oneself in this manner without consideration would lead me to believe they are quite mad, so to answer Norms question, yes, it would appear there are more and more nutters every day.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #63
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Not at all, from what i can gather Norm is enquiring as to what goes through someones head to even consider travelling at these speeds, wether they consider anyone but themselves and the outcomes should it all go wrong.
To conduct oneself in this manner without consideration would lead me to believe they are quite mad, so to answer Norms question, yes, it would appear there are more and more nutters every day.
Are people going mad?

Yes. Shopping on the 24th seemed to bring out the ferrals on the road.

In 1 bloody day myself and my GF were almost killed. A person flew through an intersection at 90-100km/k in a 50 zone where I had right of way.. had I been 10m further up the road, or not quick to brake my car would have been smashed to bits, the passenger side taking the impact. The scum just gave me the single finger salute out the window and kept going.

Then just 30 min after that twice I was close to getting into a fight, firstly because I decided not to run a red light after traffic was banked up and stalled on the green. The driver behind me was swearing all sorts of crap and waving a clenched fist at his windscreen.....

The local car park was a brothel. Cars trying to overtake left and right in a single lane because I decided to leave a whole 2 metres between myself and the car in front. People overtaking from 3 cars back and trying to jam themselves in, trying to go against the flow to cut corners, not allowing people space to enter or exit a parking space. What's wrong with people.

What a bloody joke. This happens because there is no fear in the law breakers.... The blatant disrespect for other people is astounding. The more I see the more worried I get..
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Yes. Shopping on the 24th seemed to bring out the ferrals on the road.
Lol, yeah i know what you mean there, anyone would think christmas is a surprise thing that someone springs on you the day before.
Does no one think ahead anymore and plan, budget, layby early on or is it the new trend to leave everything til the last minute and then stress themselves out.
Old 26-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yesterday was the first time I've driven in heavy traffic in my 150 hours on my Ls, I was sitting on the bolte bridge in the middle lane stopped and doing the whole first gear clutch in and clutch out thingo and when traffic was starting to move I had left a little bit of a gap while getting up to speed and I had people cutting in dangerously close in front of me from the left and right lanes.

Sure its probably nothing to you guys but it sure scared the out of me having to contend with trying to not roll back into the guy right up my *** behind me all the time and having to keep an eye on traffic coming to a sudden stop all the time compared to the usual putting along at 90km/h for 20 minutes until I reach the next town.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #66
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

No offence mate, but i've always thought 'L' platers and Chrissy holiday traffic dont go together well.
I know ya gotta get heavy traffic experience somewhere, but as Yellow_Festiva mentioned, Christmas brings out too many ferals.
Old 26-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No offence mate, but i've always thought 'L' platers and Chrissy holiday traffic dont go together well.
I know ya gotta get heavy traffic experience somewhere, but as Yellow_Festiva mentioned, Christmas brings out too many ferals.
Thats true, probably why I only saw one other learner on the bridge and everyone left a big gap around them (probably the fact he/she was driving a land cruiser compared to my little Fiesta).

I jumped at the chance to drive though because I hadn't driven for a few weeks.
Old 26-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #68
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly right...

Old 26-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #69
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Yesterday was the first time I've driven in heavy traffic in my 150 hours on my Ls, I was sitting on the bolte bridge in the middle lane stopped and doing the whole first gear clutch in and clutch out thingo and when traffic was starting to move I had left a little bit of a gap while getting up to speed and I had people cutting in dangerously close in front of me from the left and right lanes.

Sure its probably nothing to you guys but it sure scared the out of me having to contend with trying to not roll back into the guy right up my *** behind me all the time and having to keep an eye on traffic coming to a sudden stop all the time compared to the usual putting along at 90km/h for 20 minutes until I reach the next town.
Often this sort of experience is the BEST experience, probably shat yourself abit, but I bet you would be HEAPS more confident on the road if you went and got your P's right now. I learnt to drive on the great ocean road back when I lived near Lorne, bloody scary, but good experience!
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #70
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Anything over 200 on any public road in Victoria is ridiculously stupid, 140 on a straight bit of FWY might be slightly acceptable, and in same cases should be the limit anyway, but in the Yarra Ranges, were visibility is never good enough for such speeds is absolutely ridiculous, and he SHOULD go to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menil
Joke or no joke I find it disgusting that FF can condone a statement by a member calling for the instalation of rocket launches on Police cars to combat "the runners" .I would like to see you explain your actions to the families who have lost an innocent loved one as a result of a Police chase gone wrong .Speed cameras can fine you without identifying the driver so why not police .
Yes because it is all the fault of the Police, it's their fault when these idiots do the wrong thing and run.

It's attitudes like yours that create these problems in the first place. The idiots don't take responsibility for their own actions and instead they either say "The Police should have stopped me sooner" or "Why were the police chasing in the first place" when the questions that should be asked are more along the lines of "Why the hell we're you driving in such a dangerous manner" or "Why didn't you pull over when first asked to." It is then made worse by the Media, and the parents of the idiots who then come out and try to blame people who are just doing their jobs.

4Vmans comments about rocket launchers wasn't serious, a blind frog would be able to see that, but to seriously blame the Authorities for a chase that ends in the parties being chased harming themselves is just plain irresponsible.

As always, If you do the right thing in the firdst place, you won't have a problem with the Police.
Old 26-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Anything over 200 on any public road in Victoria is ridiculously stupid, 140 on a straight bit of FWY might be slightly acceptable, and in same cases should be the limit anyway, but in the Yarra Ranges, were visibility is never good enough for such speeds is absolutely ridiculous, and he SHOULD go to jail.

Yes because it is all the fault of the Police, it's their fault when these idiots do the wrong thing and run.

It's attitudes like yours that create these problems in the first place. The idiots don't take responsibility for their own actions and instead they either say "The Police should have stopped me sooner" or "Why were the police chasing in the first place" when the questions that should be asked are more along the lines of "Why the hell we're you driving in such a dangerous manner" or "Why didn't you pull over when first asked to." It is then made worse by the Media, and the parents of the idiots who then come out and try to blame people who are just doing their jobs.

4Vmans comments about rocket launchers wasn't serious, a blind frog would be able to see that, but to seriously blame the Authorities for a chase that ends in the parties being chased harming themselves is just plain irresponsible.

As always, If you do the right thing in the firdst place, you won't have a problem with the Police.
Spot on, on all counts..

Old 26-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #72
mick fab

weve all done it , you just look a goose when you get stung by the feds.
mick fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #73
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wouldn't go as far as jail for over the limit, but if it was in a built up area then yes. Running from the police will get a jail sentence anyway.
Old 26-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #74
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Not in the slightest, you cant apply remote outback road logic to 99% of built up populated Australia, where 99% of the population live....
There maybe places in Australia where, if properly signed to alert other road users of the likelihood of encountering another car at high speed its "relatively safe" to allow higher speeds (like the autobahn), i think the hume should be 130, but, on the roads in question, its purely suicidal, and without the warning people pull out knowing you're only supposed to be doing the posted limit, especially at night, the speed differential between vehicles is the biggest problem, and lack of ability...

For the "anti chasers" here explain to me this; how, on earth would the runner know the police had called the chase off? They simply wouldn't and would just assume they were waiting or falling behind and keep going as fast as possible.
Create an environment where people know if they run they can get away and you'll encourage others to do it....

Merry Christmas to everyone by the way!
I don't argue with that, maybe my point was misconstrued but what I was getting at is there are places and times where it wont cause death and destruction, referring to your first point being that there was never a time or place

but i agree on all points above.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #75
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick fab
weve all done it , you just look a goose when you get stung by the feds.
I wouldn't say weve all done it, infact i dont see anything special about travelling at those speeds.
Perhaps in a suitable car on a strip, but like the current add on TV, theres too much crap to hit if you get it wrong on public roads.

I can honestly say 170 IS the fastest i have ever been and both times i was a passenger and on country roads of ordinary quality.
The first in my mates GT4 and im not ashamed to say i asked to do the return trip into town to 'get a feel for its acceleration' and not its top speed.
The second was with my bro-in law and needless to say i dont get in the car with him anymore, With 3 kids and a wife waiting for me at home it aint worth the risk.
Old 26-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #76
menil
fg pursuit

I think some ppl on here start and then manipulate these threads in an attempt to discredit others .If you [XR6190] were to take the time to read my post more carefully you would have seen I was referring to innocent loved ones, a blind frog could see that the driver of the chased car is NOT innocent . I think it is time the Mods closed this thread
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #77
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I dont think anyones trying to discredit anyone, but a little common sense and thought before posting would go a long way to keeping people off ya back.
Lets face it, the Police have a job to do, quite often it is dangerous and can get ugly, but they are required to make decisions that can affect many in split seconds.
Wether they chose to chase or not isnt the issue, if they didnt we would have anarchy on the roads, sometimes they just do and it pays off, other times it doesnt, but never would they enter into it without thought of the consequences.
Unfortunately as this thread eludes to, some citizens dont consider these consequences and we get stories like this one
Old 27-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #78
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

people loose innocent loved ones to much less than a police pursuit, sorry but I am all for the pursuit as much of the time it isn't the offenders car, more than likely stolen in a 'runner' situation, this case is obviously the driver trying to make a run for it in his own car but each situation is different, to continue a pursuit factors such as 'offence' 'current danger to community' 'likely hood of more offences if uncaught' all come into play.

fact of life, innocent or not if your in the wrong place at the wrong time... your time is up.. if your innocent family member falls off a curb and under a bus that's unpredictable, same as a car on the wrong side of the road. its a mute argument, be a vigilant driver, defensively drive and not just be an A-B person and your chances of avoiding an accident that either you or someone else causes will be allot less ;).. doesn't matter if your right or wrong if your dead does it?

Old 27-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #79
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 2 mates that are traffic police. One in the northwest, one in Perth (Midland district). It's not unusual for them to hoon law up to half a dozen cars per shift. This doesn't include clowns who drink drive, talk on mobile phones and don't wear seatbelts. A bloke in Port Hedland got done Wednesday for doing 160km/h in a 50km/h zone on his bike. He'll have it confiscated and lose his licence for quiet some time.

Oh yeah, they've got a keen interest in targetting modified cars too. His suggestion, keep your vehicle modifications off the forums. Traffic Police do monitor lots of car forums. Make a spectacle of yourself/car and be prepared to be targetted.
Old 27-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #80
BHDOGS
Banned

I dont think falling of a cliff and under a bus are the same as some idiot on wrong side of the road and yes it does matter if your right or wrong even if your dead because its your family that has to live with the aftermath and you dieing because you were driving like a knob head isnt the same as dieing under gun fire saving a bus load of nuns from Iranian terrorists.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Rather than jail, how about 1000 hours community service? Putting someone in jail just means they can't get a job and won't fit back into society, so will go on the prison roundabout once they realise they're screwed, they'll reoffend and go back in.
Old 27-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #82
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190

You are exactly right on every account.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #83
platinumXR

Quote:
Mad? Maybe...

Selfish and cowardly? Yes.

Driving at speeds like this can be experienced safely (or relatively more so) in better controlled environments such as track days or Targa/Tarmac type conditions or any such type of motorsport. It's not Rocket Surgery.

Knowing how easy it is to get into, and relativley inexpensive I just don't know why more people don't do it and get a lot of this red mist out of their system

http://www.slowdownpledge.com.au/

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 27-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #84
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
I have 2 mates that are traffic police. One in the northwest, one in Perth (Midland district). It's not unusual for them to hoon law up to half a dozen cars per shift. This doesn't include clowns who drink drive, talk on mobile phones and don't wear seatbelts. A bloke in Port Hedland got done Wednesday for doing 160km/h in a 50km/h zone on his bike. He'll have it confiscated and lose his licence for quiet some time.

Oh yeah, they've got a keen interest in targeting modified cars too. His suggestion, keep your vehicle modifications off the forums. Traffic Police do monitor lots of car forums. Make a spectacle of yourself/car and be prepared to be targetted.
further proves my point about not giving a flying '****' about road safety. the excessive speeding yes, the targeting of modified cars and going to the trouble of speeding time combing forums to catch someone out due to being too low, or having their wheel's 1 size over is really stretching the boundaries... if they want to target cars due to unsafe features, take a walk around the nearest Woolworth's car park.. they would have a field day with the amount of bald tyres on mum/dads KIA carnival complete with the 'baby on board' sign... CLOWNS.

Old 27-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #85
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Mad? Maybe...

Selfish and cowardly? Yes.

Driving at speeds like this can be experienced safely (or relatively more so) in better controlled environments such as track days or Targa/Tarmac type conditions or any such type of motorsport. It's not Rocket Surgery.
Another case of replying before understanding the question.
The question is not about where/when its safe to do these speeds, but what goes on in the head of the fool doing it in THIS situation.

Drag strips and controlled/closed public roads aside, this behaviour on any PUBLIC road eludes to the driver being mentally challenged, a snag short of a BBq, 2 stubbies short of a 6pack or quite literally mad!
Old 27-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #86
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
further proves my point about not giving a flying '****' about road safety. the excessive speeding yes, the targeting of modified cars and going to the trouble of speeding time combing forums to catch someone out due to being too low, or having their wheel's 1 size over is really stretching the boundaries... if they want to target cars due to unsafe features, take a walk around the nearest Woolworth's car park.. they would have a field day with the amount of bald tyres on mum/dads KIA carnival complete with the 'baby on board' sign... CLOWNS.
But they're not, they're interested in high profile builds, say something boasting 500-1000rwhp which gets driven on the street. Hardly legal, and very dangerous when things get out of hand.

Bottom line is they have a job to do, I don't think they discriminate against anyone. Everyone who breaks the law is fair game.
Old 27-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #87
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oh yeah, they've got a keen interest in targetting modified cars too. His suggestion, keep your vehicle modifications off the forums. Traffic Police do monitor lots of car forums. Make a spectacle of yourself/car and be prepared to be targetted.

That's awesum, using our taxpayer funded money to surf the internet at work.
Whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty? Police and actions like that are the reason they don't get the respect they think they deserve.
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #88
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
That's awesum, using our taxpayer funded money to surf the internet at work.
Whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty? Police and actions like that are the reason they don't get the respect they think they deserve.
looking for prospective cars does not make the owner's guilty, and i am sure that most police officers would see it that way. i would assume they are looking for the attitudes of the said owners to get an idea on their behaviour and morals - and then if they see them being stupid, they will give less tolerance than someone else in the same type of car but with a better attitude. it is really just doing research on potential idiots - i have no problem with that

an example was at a car show i have been to recently. i was standing next to a twin turbo 800rwhp coupe and the local police showed up. they suggested it would have 1000hp and the owner said "that is unrealistic - around 200" the officer said "that is unrealistic" and they laughed and talked about his car for a few minutes, before admiring the others. they could have waited for him and most of the others as we were leaving, but because of the attitudes of the owners, there was no problems at all

they are doing a tough job, and like all of the emergency services, i have nothing but respect for virtually all of them. i have yet to meet one i should not have had respect for
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #89
platinumXR

Quote:
Another case of replying before understanding the question.
The question is not about where/when its safe to do these speeds, but what goes on in the head of the fool doing it in THIS situation.

Drag strips and controlled/closed public roads aside, this behaviour on any PUBLIC road eludes to the driver being mentally challenged, a snag short of a BBq, 2 stubbies short of a 6pack or quite literally mad!

Nooo... I read the whole thread before I responded...It would seem apparent to me that there was a reason he was clocked at 140kph in the first place...in his head...perhaps I was not being clear enough...I am agreeing with you...

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 27-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #90
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
But they're not, they're interested in high profile builds, say something boasting 500-1000rwhp which gets driven on the street. Hardly legal, and very dangerous when things get out of hand.

Bottom line is they have a job to do, I don't think they discriminate against anyone. Everyone who breaks the law is fair game.

If i had a 400RWHP typhoon and my mate was driving a KIA carnival with 4 bald tyres, and metal on disc brakes I know who would be the one getting pulled up for an inspection.

Like I said and I will RESTATE, if they want to do people for dangerous cars, go to the local Woolworth's/Cole's and walk the car park....

having 500RWHP doesn't mean I'm going to try and break the land speed record from brisbane to melbourne, and it doesn't automatically make it illegal either as you state in your comment.

I stand by the fact that it is targeting a minority because its easy revenue and in the media and public eye when they report how many they 'got' then its a headline grabber, if they started booking mums and dad's for illegal vehicles its would instead read ''un australian police target HARD WORKING families'' or some utter trollop they come up with when the targets are reversed.