Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #61
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Once again , like 4Vman has said people place to much emphasis on number's "badged".
Even if the Patrol has 300kw, ask yourself, do you see a Nissan Patrol outdoing or blowing away a XR8 powered coyote ???.

Unfortunatley the numbers badge sell cars these days. So im all for having the CORRECT badge on this time around/
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #62
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Some people are never happy.

I would have a supercahrged XR8 ANY DAY! i wouldn't care if it made 250KW! Give it to me!

Poor Ford...Even it's fans winge.
Top post
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #63
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Did it occur to anyone that the 315 Kw could be power at the rear wheels?
That tack would throw regulators off the scent and give Holden nowhere to go...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #64
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Are you kidding me? You cannot win with some people - they do nothing, add a few KWs they get criticised for not doing enough, now they put a fantastic engine in it like this one and you think they've done too much?!

:
Hmm you obviously missed what I have said here and previously posts, or was it an easy nothing stab?

I am happy Ford/FPV have grown some nads and made this move, its a good move, but the XR8 does not need to be supercharged. Simple as that, for many reasons.

Its a cracking move for FPV, and if they cant shift ALOT more cars in the next 3-4 years then they should shut up shop.

Ford on the other hand have a much larger demographic to worry about, so yes, having the ONLY V8 option in a Ford supercharged is not a flash idea.

I think the term you are looking for is constructive criticism and not blind faith or lapping up whatever Ford rolls out.

How can one not be happy with a s/c v8 making its way into falcons, the model mix is what I (and not just me thus far) are concerned about.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #65
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I think the only people buying the XR8 nowadays are people who want it purely for being the only V8, now thats its supercharged will be a bonus. From a talk i had with my dealer, nobody walks in to buy "a car" will walk out with a V8. You have to walk in wanting the V8 to buy it.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #66
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Personally I think it would be great, I would trade in my XR6 for one tomorrow if the blown 8 was out already. Just think of the potential, a factory blown 8 underestimated in kw rating and its already engineered for forced induction. Many people at the moment are buying the turbo 6 plainly because they go as hard or even harder than the current 8 with with better economy. Now with a lighter engine and the fact of a supercharger I believe the tide may change, and as I mentioned earlier the mod potential with this setup will be very interesting indeed.
Per-sides I would rather buy this particular setup of blown V8 goodness than the crappy tree hugging 4cylinder version (sorry Ford but you have lost the plot on that one, the eco boost 6 would be better).
Only time will tell and I know ill be watching with baited breath for the new release.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #67
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Did it occur to anyone that the 315 Kw could be power at the rear wheels?
No.
If they where to go rwkw the would need a different rating for auto's and manual's. Nobody would buy a xr8 315 auto if a xr8 325 manual was next to it and 2g's cheaper.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #68
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
No.
If they where to go rwkw the would need a different rating for auto's and manual's. Nobody would buy a xr8 315 auto if a xr8 325 manual was next to it and 2g's cheaper.
Holden SS auto is 260kw and Manual is 270kw and they both sell well......

But i agree.. RWKW is irrelevant, FWKW is the proper measurement.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

270 Kw AFM approved at DOTAR
Old 10-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #70
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Auto SS is 260kw...

http://www.holden.com.au/comparisont...LDPageDispatch

Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #71
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Auto SS is 260kw...
And that's using 98 octane fuel. Probably only good for 250kw on 91 octane!
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #72
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

why is everyone upset at the power figure? If the XR8 gets 315kw's, there is a good chance the GT could get more!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
DOTAR is up coming models...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #74
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
DOTAR is up coming models...
it may not ever get released - i dare say that that approval is for the 270auto afm but when it was tested it didnt have the cojones of the 270 manual and they knew they wouldnt get away with it and had to rebadge it for fear of reprisals!... I cant think of a reason for a 10kw increase. why would they bother ?

I think that dotar may give false positives - cars may get approved but may not make production
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All i know is the current, you know, cars that you can actually buy, SS Auto is 260kw and the manual is 270kw....

Old 10-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #76
Angeldust

this sounds really good. Maybe a Ford on the cards as next purchase

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #77
sxckevo
Ford motor company

All I know is next year when I upgrade from my current car when I'm off my p's it's going to be VERY hard to not take out a large loan for one of these puppies. I too can see the turbo 6 sales dropping slightly as well

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ford must be running scared now, the auto SS will now make the same power it did 4 years ago, while their new engine will make 45 kw extra quoted, and probably closer to 70 or so in real world numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #79
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Hmm you obviously missed what I have said here and previously posts, or was it an easy nothing stab?

I am happy Ford/FPV have grown some nads and made this move, its a good move, but the XR8 does not need to be supercharged. Simple as that, for many reasons.

Its a cracking move for FPV, and if they cant shift ALOT more cars in the next 3-4 years then they should shut up shop.

Ford on the other hand have a much larger demographic to worry about, so yes, having the ONLY V8 option in a Ford supercharged is not a flash idea.

I think the term you are looking for is constructive criticism and not blind faith or lapping up whatever Ford rolls out.

How can one not be happy with a s/c v8 making its way into falcons, the model mix is what I (and not just me thus far) are concerned about.
While we don’t really know the full story yet, for sometime the message has been that FPV had a business case approved that would roughly account or equal current volume. That obviously includes the XR8 engine, so the xr8 does need to be SC because it’s an assumption of economy of scale.

This business about the XR8 disappearing had substance by the sound of it. It appears to be a strategic decision that has gone the way of repositioning the XR8 as a FPV entry model.

We are now hearing words like "iconic XR8” What other FPV name plate gets similar mention in previous press releases?

Rod is on record as suggesting that Ford don’t have a V8 till next year. I think, and it’s a guess, but you will see the XR8 be positioned upmarket slightly. It will have 19s, brakes and obviously a entry level power. People also need to be mindful that factory SC applications don’t mimic what we commonly see in the aftermarket.

I think it’s clear that the XR8 won’t be a pure Ford product as we have known it since BA. It’s a return home to where it belongs.

I think it will wear the Ford badge but it will be a FPV product reading between the lines. As such it might be SS- v money or slightly more.

This leaves the door open for Ford to introduce a N/A product portfolio some time near year.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 10-04-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: didn't make complete sense
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #80
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
While we don’t really know the full story yet, for sometime the message has been that FPV had a business case approved that would roughly account or equal current volume. That obviously includes the XR8 engine, so the xr8 does need to be SC because it’s an assumption of economy of scale.

This business about the XR8 disappearing had substance by the sound of it. It appears to be a strategic decision that has gone the way of repositioning the XR8 as a FPV entry model.

We are near hearing word like "iconic XR8” What other FPV name plate gets similar mention in previous press releases.

Rod is on record as suggesting that Ford don’t have a V8. I think, and it’s a guess but you will see the XR8 be positioned upmarket slightly. It will have 19s, brakes and obviously a entry level power. People also need to be mindful that factory SC applications don’t mimic what we commonly see in the aftermarket.

I think it’s clear that the XR8 won’t be a pure Ford product as we have known it since BA. It’s a return home to where it belongs.

I think it will wear the Ford badge but it will be a FPV product reading between the lines. As such it might be SS- v money or slightly more.

This leaves the door open for Ford to introduce a N/A product portfolio some time near year.

GS ..... :ticking: ?

I think it might be ..
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
it may not ever get released - i dare say that that approval is for the 270auto afm but when it was tested it didnt have the cojones of the 270 manual and they knew they wouldnt get away with it and had to rebadge it for fear of reprisals!... I cant think of a reason for a 10kw increase. why would they bother ?

I think that dotar may give false positives - cars may get approved but may not make production
Pontiac G8 had the 270 Kw AFM engine, maybe that's a clue as to wher the're coming from...
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #82
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds to me Ford doesnt have to money to engineer the V8 into the Falcon at the moment. Lucky for us FPV did or we'd be back where we were in 1983.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #83
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:

This is really great news and for mine, Ford is going the right way with this. An SC XR8 sounds like a GT/R8 beater for GS money. The timing issue with getting the NA XR8 to market may be an issue with its sales prospects though, but I’m sure a G8E would make them a winner overall. I'm guessing people will be selling body parts to get into these SC V8s.

Can't wait to see what FPV's got in store for the GT!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #84
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Well written, Ian. Some good info there.

Would it appear unusual that XR6/T have Ford badging, but FPV badging on the XR8? How much more "different" would it be from now, if it's otherwise?
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #85
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Sounds to me Ford doesnt have to money to engineer the V8 into the Falcon at the moment. Lucky for us FPV did or we'd be back where we were in 1983.
Its Fords Money.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 10-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #86
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Well written, Ian. Some good info there.

Would it appear unusual that XR6/T have Ford badging, but FPV badging on the XR8? How much more "different" would it be from now, if it's otherwise?

Hey.

When David Flint told me that the XR8 was losing the Tickford wings I was upset, even more so when he said it won’t be a FPV car and in fact no XR would be recognised as a FPV product despite heavy involvement in the engine program of both the turbo and obviously the Xr8 engine. I asked if they had considered some sort of recognition somewhere on the car to signify Tickfords/FPVs involvement. Yes but it won’t happen was the reply.

Back then I thought it gave us an advantage that the XR8 had this "something added" appeal over the SS which was pure Holden.

I think the GS product was a toe in the water to see what the reaction would be to a product that looked like an XR8 but had FPV DNA. I personally think that FPV's first choice would be to go with the GS name but it looks like the XR8 has won out and for me it’s definitely the right decision. I grew up with XR8 and I proudly own one.

It has to wear the Ford badge. For me the whole FPV badge thing is a contradiction and not the team thing, but I understand the motivation on FPV's part and accept that.

I think the "new XR8" will be a silhouette of what we saw with GS. Perhaps no drive program for owners but it will have FPV DNA and I think that a good thing. It’s not without pedigree and heritage. If it happens that is.

Equally, to understand what Ford or FPV say, is to understand what they consider to be Ford property and FPV property. I think it’s probably a reasonable assumption to conclude that this SC engine is a FPV engine developed by Prodrive Asia Pacific.

Ford won't import a crate engine for just one V8 model so a G8E and some sort of sport XR8 replacement/rename for the Ford portfolio is a strong chance. I mean if we are speculating that is, and based on comments made in QLD.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #87
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Hey.

When David Flint told me that the XR8 was losing the Tickford wings I was upset, even more so when he said it won’t be a FPV car and in fact no XR would be recognised as a FPV product despite heavy involvement in the engine program of both the turbo and obviously the Xr8 engine. I asked if they had considered some sort of recognition somewhere on the car to signify Tickfords/FPVs involvement. Yes but it won’t happen was the reply.

Back then I thought it gave us an advantage that the XR8 had this "something added" appeal over the SS which was pure Holden.

I think the GS product was a toe in the water to see what the reaction would be to a product that looked like an XR8 but had FPV DNA. I personally think that FPV's first choice would be to go with the GS name but it looks like the XR8 has won out and for me it’s definitely the right decision. I grew up with XR8 and I proudly own one.
Yeah it was odd. Poor brand management it was and reversing this decision doesn't do much for consistency and the the XR8's integrity, either.

I think the blown XR8 would no longer be seen as an SS competitor, rather the R8's. It could be a "negative" thing in the media when the SS is seen as the "only" V8 option for the masses (that gets blown away by the XR6T). I wonder if XR50 might be get a gig to fill that hole; I just can't see why Ford would - now that they have a gun motor - give up the V8 entry level segment entirely to Holden. Yes, thankfully the comments in QLD are a light in the tunnel.

Quote:
It has to wear the Ford badge. For me the whole FPV badge thing is a contradiction and not the team thing, but I understand the motivation on FPV's part and accept that.
As much as I agree with this, I can't see it happening if it goes back to FPV.

Quote:
I think the "new XR8" will be a silhouette of what we saw with GS. Perhaps no drive program for owners but it will have FPV DNA and I think that a good thing. It’s not without pedigree and heritage. If it happens that is.

Equally, to understand what Ford or FPV say, is to understand what they consider to be Ford property and FPV property. I think it’s probably a reasonable assumption to conclude that this SC engine is a FPV engine developed by Prodrive Asia Pacific.

Ford won't import a crate engine for just one V8 model so a G8E and some sort of sport XR8 replacement/rename for the Ford portfolio is a strong chance. I mean if we are speculating that is, and based on comments made in QLD.
And go one further, include a pump option in the G
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #88
WASP
Whipple Induced

Ford have always been criticised that their XR8, their star (and now only) V8 model was also not quite as fast or well balanced as the XR6 and now XR6T. In my humble opinion releasing a N/A XR8 in coyote guise would only continue that claim, although the gap would be much closer. It wouldn’t quite be like coming to a gun fight with a knife, but it’s less than ideal all the same. By mildly supercharging the XR8 this will finally provide this loved model with the recognition that many an enthusiasts have longer for. It will be as good, is not better in terms of performance than any other Falcon model in Ford’s line up. When you have simply outstanding models like the XR6T and the G6ET in the line up, bringing a N/A 5.0, as quick as it is in a Mustang, will in my opinion remain in their shadow. I’m personally delighted about it being supercharged and I hope they offer it with some GS-like options as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #89
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
It wouldn’t quite be like coming to a gun fight with a knife, but it’s less than ideal all the same. .

I agree with you post but you have obviously not seen 'The Magnificent Seven'.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #90
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm glad that the XR8 name appears to be staying - regardless of badging

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post