Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #61
loxxr6
XB in parts...

*rips hair out*

Tomorrow. I couldn't arrange to get out in time to get it. I'm getting the evil half(g/f) to get it.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #62
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Very very quick update.

Car is back home.

Driving back in 30+ deg heat isn't very fun. Neither is taking the cumberland hwy for a fang and finding out the traffic sucks.

And finally, man I miss the Unichip....

Will post a bit more later tonight after a cool evening caning.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #63
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

wot sorta power it making?
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #64
xr8ute
Back on the road

Glad you've got it back. The day I bought my XR8 I drove it home along Parammatta road from Five Dock in bumper to bumper traffic....very frustrating.

I would definitely reset your computer if it hasn't been already. The learned values will be way off with the change in cam and Unichip disconnected, best start again from scratch.

Good luck tonight.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 02:58 AM   #65
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Talking

Ok. The boring stuff. Here's a list of what was done :

New timing cover kit purchased as top chain guide cracked and broken, new chain and tensioner, replaced all guides (pics soon of damaged bits soon)
post machining
install of cam (duh)
unichip disconnected.
new valve springs put in.

I must add that Joe from Crescent Motors (02 9600 6229) stuck to his guns re: the labour figures initially quoted despite having to have the car in for extra time due to other work that was found to be needed doing. I'm very grateful for this. He was quite pleasant to deal with and on several occasions offered a hire car if I needed it.

Now to disappoint quite a few people first of all, I will say that I don't have dyno figures....yet. I'm holding out til I can get the car on a dyno dynamics dyno. I'd like this to be monday but I'll have to check what the cost is first. If not monday, later in the week(wed/thur) before work if I can scam some time off. I'm hanging to see some dyno results as I'm not sure if anyone has posted figures before of the dev5 cam with no headwork done (as mine is).

How does it go ? Well after driving home in the 30+ deg heat and encountering lots of traffic I was keen to find out as well. The Initial feeling was that since having the Unichip disconnected I'd lost a lot of that urgent acceleration feeling. The best way I can describe this is when you say compare a EL falcon 6cyl to a VS 6cyl commie. The commie has the better neck snap take off whilst the falcon powers on but it feels more steady rather than whiplash inducing. My low down go since the Unichip went has died in the ****. Do I miss the Unichip feeling ? Hell yeah. When the bank acct looks a lot healthier Autotech will be sorting that one out.

The idle isn't that bad either. From the inside you can pick a bit of a throbbing but I think I had a worse idle in my ED Fairmont. When you put the boot in you can hear the engine roar lol.

Like others have stated, the power comes on closer to 2800-3000 up til redline. If you're looking for a cam for low down go then you will be disappointed. I did manage to give the car a quick squirt however with a passenger in the car -due to a damn engagement party (2nd enagement party in a row for 2 weeks) - it wasn't really the same feeling as a fang on your own. Either way the car pulled along pretty well. The difference in the drive home at 1am compared to 4.30pm was huge(way cooler now). I can state that the car does hit 140 so much quicker now. The power comes in at more of a mid to top end range and it kinda builds up rather than pushes you back.

Tonight (sunday) I'll have a decent chance to cane it on the way home on the motorway. I'm looking forward to this. I think this time will give me the best indication of how things really go as I'll be by myself in the car.

Oh, I've been using Caltex Vortex 95 for the last 2 weeks or so.

I think thats all for now, its near 2am and I can't think of anything else. If any of the locals here (useless, jonbays, sox etc) are keen to give it a quick drive and give their opinions let me know and I'll see what I can arrange. I'm not that technically minded lol.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:31 AM   #66
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
The Initial feeling was that since having the Unichip disconnected I'd lost a lot of that urgent acceleration feeling. The best way I can describe this is when you say compare a EL falcon 6cyl to a VS 6cyl commie. The commie has the better neck snap take off whilst the falcon powers on but it feels more steady rather than whiplash inducing. My low down go since the Unichip went has died in the ****. Do I miss the Unichip feeling ? Hell yeah. When the bank acct looks a lot healthier Autotech will be sorting that one out.
i hope this goes well for you, big cams without the right head work can hurt you a lot down low, on your take off..
when you get that unichip back in and tuned should improve get some timing into it..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #67
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Oh, I've been using Caltex Vortex 95 for the last 2 weeks or so.
I wouldn't be using anything less than 98 fuels, which include Shell Optimax, Mobil 8000, BP Ultimate, and the new 98 Vortex.
Anything less than those and my XH rattles it's nuts off.
You may be experiencing the same thing, and the knock sensor is dragging some timing out.
Quote:
I think thats all for now, its near 2am and I can't think of anything else. If any of the locals here (useless, jonbays, sox etc) are keen to give it a quick drive and give their opinions let me know and I'll see what I can arrange. I'm not that technically minded lol.
I'll take it for a spin if you like, but you should feel a huge difference above 4000rpm. This is where the DEV5 is at it's best, and power doesn't taper off as it reaches redline, it just pulls until the rev limiter.

Rick.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #68
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I really believe that the excitment will come back with a unichip tune. Jim Mock cams are made to take advantage of the rich air fuel ratios to produce good odle and excellent terminal power. The xr6hp cam though produces bigger numbers down low but does not match the max power of the dev 5. If Spiro can retune the chip to produce the numbers down low that you had before ,you will be pulling flat 14 second 1/4 mile times. Ps me and JonBays may be approaching Spiro to fix the same limitations.
But as I have said about Joe at crescent motorsport ,he is an honest bloke who wont sell you short and has proven to be an asset to 16 owners here in Sydney.Other workshops would have ripped you blind for the extra work .When I was quoted to repair my broken timing chain I was quotes 600 dollars on its own!!!
Mate ill contact you on Monday as I am doing a huge law case report at the moment and you can drive mine as well.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #69
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

loxxr6 yes I need to see the results for myself all right.

Your Unichip and Dev5 powerband comments agree with what i expected to happen.

So I am hanging out to get a Unichip for the moment but if I could get a nice idle from a Dev5 well then why not go the whole hog.

We should try and get a meet at WSID one night or something
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #70
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Anything less than those and my XH rattles it's nuts off.
You may be experiencing the same thing, and the knock sensor is dragging some timing out.
Would the knocking be noticeable coz the car seems to drive pretty much like before the Unichip. No weird sounds or shaking or anything. It just kinda feels like before the Unichip was done. Up top end it feels better.

Quote:
you should feel a huge difference above 4000rpm.
I definately do. I wonder how much a difference not getting the headwork makes tho. I'd love to see dyno results coz I'd be interested in seeing how it matches up along with your ute on the graphs Jonbays plotted out in excel.

Quote:
So I am hanging out to get a Unichip for the moment but if I could get a nice idle from a Dev5 well then why not go the whole hog.
Well if you want to fund me the connection and retune costs for the Unichip, I'll give you your answer :nutsycuck

I really don't rate the idle as an issue...its almost like nothings been done.

Quote:
I really believe that the excitment will come back with a unichip tune.
Whilst the car isn't unexciting, its definitely a bit more dulled on the urgency it had before(down low) from when the Unichip got done. Up top end it just gathers momentum quickly :Reverend:

If I can get outta bed in time, I'll see if autotech can squeeze me in for a dyno run tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #71
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Would the knocking be noticeable coz the car seems to drive pretty much like before the Unichip. No weird sounds or shaking or anything. It just kinda feels like before the Unichip was done. Up top end it feels better.
It is in my ute, though it's not loud.
If I use 95 fuel, it will give a loud rattle if I crack the throttle open quickly, then die off to a continous faint rattle if it's left at WOT.
Driving normally it rattles faintly on anything over 1/4 throttle.
Quote:
I definately do. I wonder how much a difference not getting the headwork makes tho. I'd love to see dyno results coz I'd be interested in seeing how it matches up along with your ute on the graphs Jonbays plotted out in excel.
Yep, that would be good to see.

Rick.

Last edited by Sox; 06-02-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #72
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

All my funds are committed sorry mate.

Committed to get myself a unichip and soon.

Interesting the bottom end is all tune related and the cam should really haul in the top end with or without the headwork I believe but intersteing to see how spiro goes with it.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #73
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:

Well if you want to fund me the connection and retune costs for the Unichip, I'll give you your answer :nutsycuck

I really don't rate the idle as an issue...its almost like nothings been done.
Whilst the car isn't unexciting, its definitely a bit more dulled on the urgency it had before(down low) from when the Unichip got done. Up top end it just gathers momentum quickly :Reverend:

If I can get outta bed in time, I'll see if autotech can squeeze me in for a dyno run tomorrow.
Higher compression heads tend to make knocking in the engine.Thats why they need better fuel.

If the car feels like before the unichip then you have achieved success. I stick by my guns that the chip will make your car a 1/4 mile killer.The power at top cannot generally be felt but it will show on a good dyno.I believe Spiros dyno is quite good but have used croydons 2 times 2 weeks in a row and got the same figures.So you will get an idea after the dyno.I am betting on 160 -165 rwkws if not more.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #74
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
It is in my ute, though it's not loud.
If I use 95 fuel, it will give a loud rattle if I crack the throttle open quckly, then die off to a continous faint rattle if it's left at WOT.
Driving normally it rattles faintly on anything over 1/4 throttle.

I'll get the evil half to give the car a bit of a rev when I get home and I'll have a closer listen.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 PM   #75
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Any idea Useless what the cost for a dyno run will be ?

Last edited by loxxr6; 06-02-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #76
Stav
Smile

Mate I think I paid 70 -90 dollars at Croydons.I tried to get into Spiros but they were always busy. I think you will have good increased power.A cam like that definately will pull more than my 141 rwks without a chip. When Joe put my dev 4 in I would have not believed that I gained much but from a car that typically puts out 115 rwkws with xorst ,I cant complain. .The dyno will reveal all. I am still refining my setup with little things and getting better acceleration and idle. You are lucky that Spiro genuinely looks after you and I think that it will be a balltearer once he is finished.I have come tothe conclusion also that a chip is only as goodas the tuner. Spiro is world class tuner for that application.

Last edited by Stav; 06-02-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #77
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Well, I ducked into Croydon's today for the dyno (Autotech was booked out for too long on every day I could get in) and I got the result.

So for those that don't know it's the Dev5 Cam, Hurricane Headers, 2.5" exhaust and cold air intake ONLY. That means no special spark plugs, no JMM headers, no headwork. The Dev 5 Cam experiment haha.

My previous figure with no cam and Unichip is 146.0rwkw.

I'd like to see the results plotted up against the Unichip figures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ndunichipb.jpg

If anyone's keen to do this for me I'd be more than happy *hint hint* haha

Last edited by loxxr6; 07-02-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: more text
Old 07-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #78
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Sorry guys, I've tried resizing these down twice and they're still big. If it's an issue I'll just post the links. Let me know.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #79
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This is not exactly what you meant, but at least they're both in the one graphic now!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #80
Stav
Smile

Mate those figures will improve with the chip being done. Your air fuel ratios will give you more power .Running a bit rich at the moment.

But well done..146.6 rwkws with no chip is pretty good figure.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #81
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Do you have a stock cam vs Dev5 cam comparison?

I've scored 156rwkws on that Croydon dyno, but I always thought it was reading a bit high at the time.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #82
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ok lox, I know you just said it before, but all you have is:

Dev5 cam
extractors
zorts
CAI

And you are making 146rwkw?

So if I was to do the same mods for my stock Ed 4.0, what figure could/should I expect? around 130?

thats a great effort! how much is a dev5 cam?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #83
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR

I've scored 156rwkws on that Croydon dyno, but I always thought it was reading a bit high at the time.
Hmm maybe,but Ihave found that dyno extremely consistent.Got 141.1 rwkws and 2 weeks later in much higher temperatures I got 141.6 rwkws.It is a good dyno.

Loxxr6 did get 146 rwkws on another dyno at autotech engineering and I saw it with my own 2 eyes.Nothing wrong with it. Now he has a bigger cam and bigger figures. Its just a matter of time that Spiro gets his hands on it and works his magic.
These guys dyno nissan gtrs all day long..quite fussy

Last edited by Stav; 07-02-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #84
xr8ute
Back on the road

I didn't think AFR looked too bad....pretty consistant 12.5:1.

It's probably a little richer than ideal, but much better then going off the chart at 10:1 by 4000rpm that these AU's seem to do standard @ WOT.

The graph is certainly not as smooth as the Unichip tune, probably because of the standard ignition timing maps. Will be very interesting to see the graph once the tune is done.

Still, you must be pretty stocked Lach, that figure is good for the mods and standard tune....much better than my XR8, lol.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 06:15 PM   #85
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes I thought the same,AFR wasn't too bad, it will be interesting what the figure will be after the Unichip tune.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #86
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Well interesting I can plot up the stock pre unichip versus the dev5 no unichip and unichip power curves on one graph.

I am pretty sure you have 3.45 diff and 235/45 17 tyres and about 33.1kmh/100rpm so i can convert the graph to rwkw versus rpm.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #87
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I have dyno sheets for - stock with exhaust, Unichip & exhaust and now Cam and Exhaust.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #88
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
So if I was to do the same mods for my stock Ed 4.0, what figure could/should I expect? around 130?
There's debate that you really need an AU to get the Mock's quoted figures. How true that is I don't know however I'm probably thinking its untrue coz the original write up they have on their kits is from a pre AU car - EF I think.

Quote:
thats a great effort! how much is a dev5 cam
$490 for the cam plus you need the heavy duty valve springs.

I'm really wondering if I should have held out for the headwork to be done. Useless I'll have to arrange a time to compare idle/general driving in our cars to see how yours goes.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #89
Stav
Smile

Judging by your power curve mate you will flog my car.At 100 kmph you are putting out 100rwkws .I am putting out 80? So I think you will be alot quicker than mine .But it could have to do with your gearing?I am not sure.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #90
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
The graph is certainly not as smooth as the Unichip tune, probably because of the standard ignition timing maps. Will be very interesting to see the graph once the tune is done.

Still, you must be pretty stocked Lach, that figure is good for the mods and standard tune....much better than my XR8, lol.
I'm really counting on the Unichip to give the car back that edge low down, that it did.

I really noticed the power when heading up from the great western to old windsor road going up the incline. It just charges forward as the revs get higher.

Quote:
Well interesting I can plot up the stock pre unichip versus the dev5 no unichip and unichip power curves on one graph.
That would be awesome. Thanks.

Quote:
I am pretty sure you have 3.45 diff and 235/45 17 tyres and about 33.1kmh/100rpm so i can convert the graph to rwkw versus rpm.
Yep.

Actually, here's a question, since changing the cam would I have screwed up any low down go ? If so should the Unichip fix that or coz the cam has xx to xx powerband, its over for low down go ?