Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #61
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default Re: Natural disasters in SEQ and Vic

A friend of mine shifts from Alice Springs to Bundaberg in the 1st week of March, he has been in Alice for 12 years and decided that it was time for a change, he purchased a property that back onto a river as he is a keen fisherman, and took advantage of only paying 25% of the normal stamp duty that the QLD Govt has got going.

It's not sounding good for him at the moment, or anyone else in the affected areas, the pictures and footage in the media are absolutely terrible.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #62
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
don`t really know, but when the plumber rows by to fix a leaking tap in the bathroom a couple of times in a decade they need some sort of plan,
perhaps the worst effected homes that are wiped out every time and it`s not feasible to stop the problem, start a buy back scheme with a ban on the block ever having a house on it again, obviously no one is is going to buy a block that wipes your house out every time there`s a flood, let the council make park land out of it or something.
Tend to agree; perhaps a phased withdrawal of development from floodways could be put before the electorate?
I come from a cane farming family on the Sunshine Coast, the farm which fronted the river long gone to housing development. My grandmother mentioned that the land had been completely inundated twice in her time on the land, and that every 25-50 years one could expect a very large flood where the houses now are.

Everyone out there affected stay safe.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #63
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
don`t really know, but when the plumber rows by to fix a leaking tap in the bathroom a couple of times in a decade they need some sort of plan,
perhaps the worst effected homes that are wiped out every time and it`s not feasible to stop the problem, start a buy back scheme with a ban on the block ever having a house on it again, obviously no one is is going to buy a block that wipes your house out every time there`s a flood, let the council make park land out of it or something.
There is one area in Moreton Bay Region that is continuously flood affected. The council is looking to buy back that land. The problem is that a whole street is affected and this would be a bit pricey.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #64
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like Twin Waters! LOL
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #65
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never seen a natural disaster that knocked out so many sets of traffic lights in my life. The amount of bent sign posts and debris from trees all over the road is a first for me too.

The most extraordinary thing I saw today was Cleveland Point completely flooded by a tidal surge. The first time since 1974.

The Lighthouse Restaurant appears to have suffered some flooding damage that it normally gets away with
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #66
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah had a couple near misses at the lights that are out around our area. Saw one bloke just plough through the intersection, then slam on the brakes in unison with the oncoming traffic to his left... not fun!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So they are going to "buy back" most of almost every city on the east coast of Australia including the CBDs?
And of course the west coast as well.
And lets not forget the north.

Paid for with what? Carbon tax? An extra 10% on the mocha lattes sold in Bourke St?

While we are at it lets buy back all the areas that are prone to fires and prone to drought and tsunamis and earthquakes.........

You don't like cyclones, tornadoes, floods, fires, drought or nasty animals that can kill you?

You are in the wrong country........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

They have bought back a surprising amount of land from the black saturday fire.

Sadly society seeps to by and large want big brother to look after them so they are free to do whatever menial activity has their attention for the now.

Sad to see how far we have 'evolved' over the last 25-30 years.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #69
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

There have been record flood levels recieved in some areas.
Pretty hard for councils to have town planning for that.
The unfloodable bridge at Gayndah is proof that Bundy is gunna get alot more water yet!
You can plan to have areas away from record floods.
No doubt these records will be reset in the future.
How much is enough, how long is a piece of string.
That Bundy flood is unreal, we are not getting enough media reports on this, all we get is the flooded bremmer & brisbane rivers, don't the tv stations have enough 'make up' for their precious reporters to go to Bundy?
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is it with people and the media?

Locals don't evacuate because the floods have never got this high before.

Meanwhile city cowboys in 4WDs will not cross a causeway with 100mm of water over it because it might "sweep them away" blocking access roads to all traffic including emergency vehicles and there are lineups at the petrol stations because the roads are cut so no fuel can get in.
Guys, the roads will be open in 2 days and fuel will arrive then but until they are YOU CAN'T GO ANYWHERE so why do you need the fuel?
Old 29-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #71
LTDHO
The one and only

I've been talking to a lot of people in QLD who have suffered a loss from the recent flooding. They are very patient and understanding.

If you are a tradie around Australia, get to QLD. There will be heaps of work!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #72
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Trying to get to Canberra from Gladstone, not happening right now, even the roads out west are flooded. We have been stuck here since Saturday night. All the people who are saying the Bruce will be re-opening in a few days are severely misinformed. There is a major bridge out at Miriam Vale and they think at least a week to get that up and running. Then you have Bundy to think about as well, this is going to take a lot of time. There are literally hundreds of trucks up here waiting to get through.

My friend is a depot manager at a petrol station here and the police have asked her to stop all traffic going south. The amount of arrogant and ignorant people saying it will be fina and then coming back two hours later is astounding, people are just really stupid. They seem to think that this is like all the other times and it will be good to go in two days, it wont be.

I went to Tannum Sands beach yesterday and the amount of dead fish in all the debris is phenomenal.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #73
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I live in a flood zone my house was built 3 metres off the ground for a reason , you will see most of them houses " flooded" are low set .I lose my lawn worst case scenario.councils should be a little smarter , the weather has never changed and never will .as for who pays noone should ,its all by your own choice ..like buying a used car you can't guarantee its always going to be perfect ..and if govco can't budget for the rare emergency , same as insurance companies then they shouldn't be in business.my heart goes out to people that have lost a lot but 5 days in people are still carrying belongings out is pure stupidity ..people lifting stuff onto a chair cause they are to lazy to carry it upstairs amazes me ..this of course doesn't include all affected as sometimes there is no warning but people need to be responsible for their own actions/house .

We lost 20 head in the flash flood , but nothing at our homes cause we are proactive , yet lots in my street lost cars , furniture ...why should I pay for their laziness.

On a plus side all my friends and family are safe , many had some damage but its all material .keep safe folks
Old 29-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #74
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Son in law was evacuated very efficiently from north Bundy by Blackhawk yesterday and is hopping on another one today to be taken to evac centers on the south side of town, and this morning my daughter (who's having trouble with her pregnancy and doesn't want to go into early labor just yet) is being loaded onto a Hercules to be flown to Brisbane with dozens of other critical patients from the Bundy hospital.

In the future any time I hear some lefty pinko commie greenie whinger complaining about military funding, they get a poke in the damn nose...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #75
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
All the people who are saying the Bruce will be re-opening in a few days are severely misinformed. There is a major bridge out at Miriam Vale and they think at least a week to get that up and running.
The Bruce Highway is 1600km long. Just because one bridge is out does not close the highway for its entire length.

Parts of it are already open with most of it expected by tomorrow.

If Calliope-Gin Gin is cut for an extended period there is the Burnett Hwy, Tablelands Hwy depending on where the cut is, Rail, Sea, Air and all of the inland routes.

Last edited by flappist; 29-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 29-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #76
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have been told that Energex have up to 750 power lines still on the ground... From their point of view this storm has been one of the worse on record, but hopefully they will have most of it fixed within the next few days which is commendable.

Another interesting fact is the damage, while no where as many houses will get flooded as last time in and around Brisbane (thank god) nearly everyone I talk to has had some form of damage, roofs, water ingress, fences etc.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #77
4stanger