Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #61
WOLF
Track Red XY

Deciding which dealer you go to is just as important as deciding what car you want. Research is your best friend! When I decided I wanted to by a ford, I spoke to atleast 5 or 6 people who bought one recently. I too was amazed at some of the horror salesman/yard stories I heard, but sure enuff a certain ford dealer and salesman for that matter were spoken of quite highly.
I could've easily chosen from 3 other ford dealers (all within 10 mins from me), but I cut out the bullИИИИe and travelled half way across melb to the recommended one. I asked for a drive of a brand new bf xr8 ute with zf6sp (this was last november) which was parked in the yard. Trouble was that there was about 17 other cars that had to be moved out of its path so that I could take it for a drive.
I twas certain they were gonna tell me to come some other time, so I couldn't believe it when the guy preceeded to tell another 4 salesman to drop everything and start moving all those cars....All went well and signed on that day!
At a time where downsizing (under staffed) and making a buck (they think the cars will sell themselves) are the bottom line, we must be smarter, do our homework and give the hard earned to those who make the effort! If it means travelling the state to get the best service and avoid some subhuman treatment, I say go for it!
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #62
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

robscure... any chance of pm'ing me the dealer address and salesmans name
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #63
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
One thing I have noticed from buying 13 new Fords over the last 10 years is that none of the sales people actually really know anything about their products. They know the price and options etc, but don't really have any passion, like we do here at the forum. Would be awesome to go to a salesperson that can talk about Fords because he is passionate about them and can talk the talk. When I bought my Turbo and was talking stats with sales staff they offered me a job.......
True, I actually had an argument with a mate one day over the power an XR6T makes from factory and I said 240kw with BA both series, and he told me that his mate from Ford told him that series one was 230kw and series two 240kw. I said he deserves the ***!!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #64
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
True, I actually had an argument with a mate one day over the power an XR6T makes from factory and I said 240kw with BA both series, and he told me that his mate from Ford told him that series one was 230kw and series two 240kw. I said he deserves the ***!!
Money says thats how he gets people to buy a series2 over a series1 sleep:

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #65
XR8 queen
Starter Motor

I live in a tiny remote country town bout 26kms from the nearest town. When we decided to buy a BA XR8, i just got on the internet and on the blower. I ended up getting the BEST deal in the town 26kms away. The salesman came to my house with an offer that was unmatchable by all the other dealers i had in play. When i think about it, i realise i didnt even SIGHT the car let alone TEST DRIVE it until i had signed and had the keys in me hand!!! (but i LURVE it!!)
XR8 queen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #66
XR8 queen
Starter Motor

Let me add, if i may....this same salesman AFER he had got his cash and whatnot... drives a company car out to my town and picks up my car for any service or whatever and delivers it back. The 1st time i rang to book in for a 1500 service, i asked the service dept if they could pick it up as i have 2 babies under 2 and had no way of getting them back home if i drove my car into them. They said no so i asked the salesman and he readily obliged and still does to this day.
IMHO, thats AWESOME follow up from a salesman cos like i said...he has his cash but he still goes that extra mile for his customers.
XR8 queen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #67
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
With some of these stories anyone would think you're asking to take the salesmans own personal car for a drive, complete with his wife in the passenger seat.
I have taken the salespersons car twice with MY wife and kids. Obviously it must depend on the salesperson.

They seem to forget the old maxim that one satisfied customer can mean up to 10 new customers, and one peed-off customer can mean 10 lost customers. Word of mouth is VERY strong these days, particularly with the internet.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #68
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

UPDATE

Well, after finally relenting and calling this dealer back for a second time, a test drive of the GT and F6 was organised for yesterday. As part of the qualification our buying criteria was determined and it was plain as day. 4 doors, PERFORMANCE, PERFORMANCE and PERFORMANCE. Sales person says fine, come in, lets drive them.

So we get there. Patiently listen to the 20 minute speal from the salesman who later reveals that he has been selling FPVs for 2 months. Great.

Ok off for a test drive. Well, one slight problem. We cannot leave a grid of inner city streets for insurance reasons, and for health reasons, please dont take the car over 80kph. At this stage, I just basically rolled my eyes and gave up. Dealer then proceeded to see if we wanted to buy right now, with a great deal (quoting a base price of 3k over the advertised base price). He was a little suprised when we said it would be difficult to compare a GT or F6 to a WRX STi or an EVO IX when the cars havent been over 60kph.

FPV I dont get you. I dont understand you. And I no longer support you. You have stuffed me around and disappointed me for the last time. And next time you employ a salesman who proceeds to tell us how many people have got out of their 911's and into GT's as they are the same technology, better build quality and the same performance, I suggest you get them to ask potential buyers what other cars they own. What a tosser.

FPV - what a joke.
Old 19-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #69
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nobody likes being stuffed about by time wasters at work.
If,o matter what your job is, you spent time doing something at work, and the person you did it for said "Thanks, but i ont really want it" and threw it in the bin without looking at it, you might question people a bit more next time they ask you.

I have my own computer service business. I know what its like when I spend an hour of my time demonstrating how good windows or a pentium PC or something is, and after that hour the person says,
"thanks for the info, but im not really interested in buying, i was just bored/curious"
or "Thats, great mate", and then he goes round the corner and buys it elsewhere (The big dept store), coz they are 5% cheaper? Then he berates me for being too expensive.

Thats one hour of my wages I have thrown away, to a time waster.
The big store is 5% cheaper coz he spends 5 mins max with each customer, so all his day is making money, while Im sitting there wasting an hour on someone with no intentions of actually paying me.

Time is money to me, just like to a car salesman. They are just working, and like all workers they want to spend their day doing stuff for people willing to pay etc. Selling cars is business, time and effort versus profit.

IF you are just curious/bored, you should say so, and if the salesman is also bored or had a good week or whatever, he might let you have free joyride,

But while he is giving you a jolly, a serious buyer might come in, and there is no salesman or car available, so the buyer goes down the road.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #70
Falchoon

I had a mixed experience when I first went to look at XR6T. I just went to the dealer for a look, had no real serious intention of buying and therefore wasn't going to waste the salesman's time asking for a testdrive. Anyway, salesman came up to me and started talking about XR6T and within minutes offered me a (accompanied) test drive. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth I agreed and off we went. The guy was an ex-Holden salesman and really didn't know that much about the XR6T, admitedly they had only been out for a few months but still...luckily I had been reading up about them on the internet and so knew facts from fiction.

The test car was manual, I actually preferred the auto, he said he didn't have any auto turbos in stock but offered to let me drive an auto XT or Fairmont, which I declined as they would be totally different non-relevant experience without the turbo. After driving the T I was hooked, by hook or crook I had to have one!

So far so good but this is when the BS really started. I asked for a price and he quoted me approx $2K over retail. And then I was asking about various accessories and options (sports wheel, side air bags and lights-on) and because he didn't know about them he told me I didn't need them! Talked me out of several thousand dollars worth of add-ons! :

I ended up getting about $1000 discount off retail after getting my fleet manager at work to negotiate.

I went in dressed in "office clothes", not a suit and no tie, but not shorts and singlet.

A friend went to the opposition dealer, drove in with his AU1 TE50 and asked for a test drive of an XR6T and they wouldn't give him one unless he put a deposit down first!
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #71
gtfpv
GT

i met some people today with an xr8 nice vehicle with mods i live around penrith i asked them if they bought the car locally no they said our local dealer told us we were too young to buy a high performance car because they have to much power and besides we couldnt afford it . youd be better off buying an xt or futura.
ok they said and went to parramatta and bought the xr8 with full herod mods (optional extras all fitted pre delivery .
funny that so it wasnt just me that had a bad experiance .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #72
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

mmmm Interesting thread, seems some dealers or sales peoples are just tosspots, how could you even dream of buying a car if you haven't driven it, it's like getting married before you have sex!!!

So XWGT, have you decided what kinda car your gonna buy yet?? did you end up test driving the porsche and evo IX??

Last edited by 2kool4u; 20-03-2006 at 12:57 AM.
2kool4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #73
XR6Dan
Why??

I bought a secondhand XR6 MkII 4 weeks ago. I went to 6 ford dealers in Brisbane, most we're pretty good.
The worst was a dealer in Woolloongabba, I pulled in, had a look around and spotted a XR6 I liked. I was trading in a 2000 Lancer, the sales guy said he'd give me $3,000 for it (quoted $7,000 to $9,000 elsewhere) and I told him that I only wanted to pay $20k changeover as a starting price. He said "mate, the Lancer's not worth $12,000" end of discussion, didn't even try, which was a pity, really like that one.
There we're two good dealers, Springwood and Darra. Both worked hard, offered test drives and to take the car over the weekend, couldn't do enough for me. Came down to colour and ended up paying $21,500 changeover.
I've always wanted an XR8, but for now I had to settle for a XR6, so needless to say that when I picked up the car I was dancing a little jig in excitement. The sales guy was happy because he doesn't get many customers that get excited or interested in Ford themselves, most just walk in and say "that one will do".
Might explain why somesales guys don't care that much, because most of their customers don't care either.
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #74
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I just cannot beleive the crap that is in here about the dealings people have had!!! The 'I know a mate of a mate's sister that went to a dealer and had a bad experience' Well if you are not happy, go to Holden, or Toyota or Mazda as I have had cars from them and had both lousy and good experiences and been to higher end dealers that bend over back wards to get into my wallet. I have also been to KMart and got crap service and been to David Jones and paid 5 times the amount and been treated diffenent, went to 'all you can eat' and got crap, went to a $250.00 head restuarant and got treated like a King.

I buy a car every 3 years and delt with almost all dealers for 20 years in Melb and had just OK to outstanding dealings with them. From Holden to Ford to Toyota they have a job to do and for the amount of people they get through they do a damn good job I think........"expensive servicing though".....

There are many of these dealers in every suburb and every country town. If you dont like one and you like the product, go else where. If you want a Porshe and you dont like the dealer, well you are in trouble!

If you dont but an FPV or a HSV cos you dont like the salemen, well you dont really want one?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #75
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I just cannot beleive the crap that is in here about the dealings people have had!!! The 'I know a mate of a mate's sister that went to a dealer and had a bad experience' Well if you are not happy, go to Holden, or Toyota or Mazda as I have had cars from them and had both lousy and good experiences and been to higher end dealers that bend over back wards to get into my wallet. I have also been to KMart and got crap service and been to David Jones and paid 5 times the amount and been treated diffenent, went to 'all you can eat' and got crap, went to a $250.00 head restuarant and got treated like a King.

I buy a car every 3 years and delt with almost all dealers for 20 years in Melb and had just OK to outstanding dealings with them. From Holden to Ford to Toyota they have a job to do and for the amount of people they get through they do a damn good job I think........"expensive servicing though".....

There are many of these dealers in every suburb and every country town. If you dont like one and you like the product, go else where. If you want a Porshe and you dont like the dealer, well you are in trouble!

If you dont but an FPV or a HSV cos you dont like the salemen, well you dont really want one?
are you serious . i dont like a salesman and wont buy a car off one if he tells me i cant drive it because these cars sell themselves . i think if you fall foir that line your a ИИИИwit.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #76
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

Auslandau, Can't you read???? people wouldn't even let them take a test drive, Would you buy a car you've never driven????

And why would you buy a car from a ****er anyway when you can go to another place and be treated properly!!!!
Old 20-03-2006, 07:57 AM   #77
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
Auslandau, Can't you read???? people wouldn't even let them take a test drive, Would you buy a car you've never driven????

And why would you buy a car from a ****er anyway when you can go to another place and be treated properly!!!!
My point exactly 2kool4u

There is no way I am going to buy a car without test driving it properly, so FPV lose out.

We test drove the Cayman S, WRX STi and the EVO IX. Looks like its going to be down to the EVO IX and STi. Will drive them both again on the same day and Mrs XWGT and I will make a decision. They are so closely matched its almost impossible to pick. But the EVO IX is probably just in front in my mind. The Cayman would be no question if it wasnt 90k deaer lol.