Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 27-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Manual Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by orli
Hi guys. I just completed my first full tank of diesel. I got 815 kms out of it with with an average of 4.2 ltr per 100 kms. I drove it to work every day in traffic and did a few country drives as well. Didn't use the cruise controll either as you're supposed to wait till after the vehicle has completed 3,000kms. I am really happy with the vehicle and noticed how effortlesly it climbs the hills, as was the case on my trip to Anglesea. I'm using Caltex Vortex and will stay on it as I've heard good reports. It's also pretty affordable for premium diesel.
All in all, a big thumbs up!
very nice indeed, if i may ask , do you know if the little diesel needs any special servicing over the petrol unit, i know a lot of small petrol engines need the cam belt changed every 100,000 k`s commonly, particulate filter?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #62
orli
Starter Motor

Unsure there. I do know that there is a slight difference in the pricing of servicing the diesel but it's only minor. I will ask when I take it to the first 3,000km service. After the initial one, my uncle will be the only person who will service it as I trust him and don't have to worry.

Thanks for that!
orli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers mate.
Old 28-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #64
break
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
very nice indeed, if i may ask , do you know if the little diesel needs any special servicing over the petrol unit, i know a lot of small petrol engines need the cam belt changed every 100,000 k`s commonly, particulate filter?
AFAIK only the EcoNetic has a particulate filter (hence it's Euro V rating) as opposed to the regular diesels that don't (and have a Euro IV rating).

That said, the diesel motors need low SAP oil that is super expensive (~$20 per litre), but other than that they are are on par for maintenance.
break is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #65
290v
290v

If you are planning to use it just around town buy petrol car if you are planning to do a lot of interstate driving or country then Diesel, the latest Diesel engines are fitted with a DPF filter and require a burn off time if this isn't done within the prescribed time it could be very costly Holden Cruise a new DPF filter costs around $5,000 with out fitting it is part of the new generation exhaust systems to meet euro standards i haven't priced Ford ones as of yet
Old 29-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #66
break
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290v
If you are planning to use it just around town buy petrol car if you are planning to do a lot of interstate driving or country then Diesel, the latest Diesel engines are fitted with a DPF filter and require a burn off time if this isn't done within the prescribed time it could be very costly Holden Cruise a new DPF filter costs around $5,000 with out fitting it is part of the new generation exhaust systems to meet euro standards i haven't priced Ford ones as of yet
As I said one post above, the non EcoNetic diesels don't have this filter.
break is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys, er ouch, that adds a considerable cost if it`s not used the way it`s intended, i think a lot of these unknown things that can happen or do happen in later servicing are an after thought for many that buy a motor car, timing belt also another.