Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #61
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
We only have one Ford dealer here in Bendigo, and that's them.
That explains the entire thread .
Those fella's could not tell the truth if they were strapped to a polygraph
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #62
Windsor220
Now Fordless

How would a salesman know future product anyway? Dealers are the last places to find out anything.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
How would a salesman know future product anyway? Dealers are the last places to find out anything.
This sums up the whole thread really, salesmen do not know anything about future models until just before they are released. They work for privately owned dealerships, they are not directed employed by Ford.

Only if they had contacts very high within the company would they be aware. Ford/FPV have already talked about a new V8 so for him to say there will be no V8 is just laughable.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #64
zx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I do hope that ford au dont drop the V8 again it will be like the 80'sGATE all over again
Thats gold!

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #65
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

i cant see them dropping the v8, i mean FPV v8s sell more than there Turbo brothers, so i cant see Ford doing something so stupid! :
Old 21-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #66
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont confuse FPV with Ford.. both have vastly different positions and buyers....

Old 21-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #67
Molloy
Captain beat down

Haha as if, he prob just wanted 2 sell u a 6

Molloy's Build thread
Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #68
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my family was looking for a new G6E earlier in the year, a salesman tried a similar tactic on us. My father said to the salesman that he won't be ready to buy a new car until next month and the salesman actually said something on the lines of, "the prices are likely to go up in that time" But no, that didn't make us quickly buy it. We waited until the next month.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #69
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

I do hope that ford au dont drop the V8 again it will be like the 80'sGATE all over again

that is the time that hurt ford au and dont wish it to happen again

Jason
Sadly enough, the 80's was when Ford were at their most profitable. They had just implemented lean manufacturing and a lot of Ford's biggest profits were in the 80's. The EA killed the momentum a little bit but they still basically had a licence to print money.........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #70
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Dont confuse FPV with Ford.. both have vastly different positions and buyers....
Exactly, we have allready established that FPV sell's more V8's than I6, and in the Ford variety it is vice versa,
Time will tell.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #71
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Exactly, we have allready established that FPV sell's more V8's than I6, and in the Ford variety it is vice versa,
Time will tell.

Thats the thing, FPVs main seller is the V8, Fords is the I6T...

Instead of both companies throwing development dollars at 2 motors which are pretty much identical, with a dieing market it makes more sense for one to focus on one market, and the other to focus on the other.. Remember FPV is ultimately still the GT car company..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #72
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If this does become reality, we the consumer are the only ones to blame, as the way I see it, and Ford Aus,
Sale's arn't there, profit's arn't being made, consumer's arn't buying, you tell me.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #73
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
If this does become reality, we the consumer are the only ones to blame, as the way I see it, and Ford Aus,
Sale's arn't there, profit's arn't being made, consumer's arn't buying, you tell me.

Cant blame me, ive bought 3 FPV V8s in the last 2 years... Some of us try, maybe its time to upgrade the XR8? :
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #74
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Cant blame me, ive bought 3 FPV V8s in the last 2 years... Some of us try, maybe its time to upgrade the XR8? :
Would that be an upgrade Brent : :

If i were in a position an FG GT would be in the driveway

Cheers Dallas
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #75
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

4Vman in another post is planning a new car he may become an FPV owner yet?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #76
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Sadly enough, the 80's was when Ford were at their most profitable. They had just implemented lean manufacturing and a lot of Ford's biggest profits were in the 80's. The EA killed the momentum a little bit but they still basically had a licence to print money.........
yes i understand that but i dont think it is good thinking to leave the V8 market to holden or others that offer a V8 in thier range

iwont go into the EA debate but they were not that bad really they were the basis for some of what we have today like the mpfi ect and the 4 sp auto is still very much the same as it was in 89 with a few upgrades

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #77
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
This sums up the whole thread really, salesmen do not know anything about future models until just before they are released. They work for privately owned dealerships, they are not directed employed by Ford.

Only if they had contacts very high within the company would they be aware. Ford/FPV have already talked about a new V8 so for him to say there will be no V8 is just laughable.
That's not necessarily the case. The principals are involved in "conferences" (read mediterranean cruises etc) where Ford lays out the up coming models, etc.

Sufficed to say, there is a lot riding on the new small car to pull the dealers out of the doldrums.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #78
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

There would have been some truth to this if it was said not too long ago (last 12 months).

The position has now changed, and I would say that Fords V8 lineup should actually be strengthened by the new V8 program.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #79
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
The facts are that the inline 6t is faster ,handles better and has better economy to boot .
The Boss motor only positive is what it can sound better if you purchase a aftermarket exhaust.
Now im no genius but smart enough to work out why xr8 sales may be struggling.
ba-bf sales would spell a better story when performance and economy was pretty much on par .
If the v8 is canned its because its out gunned period . Even the playing feild a little and i think th v8 will be the sucessor .
Spot on snappy. I too think the I6 Turbo has been a revelation for Ford. They have built a great market brand around this piece of kit and it is growing. The current V8 actually now holds back the turbo I6's real potential from the factory's point of view. I don't think Ford could have foreseen the success of the I6 turbo when they first released it.

I also think that future continued development of the I6 turbo may have the effect of continually eroding V8's sales in the future which could in turn reduce profitability versus development cost of the V8 variant anyway. It may be hard even for FPV to make money on a V8 if they have to bear the cost of compliance alone. They are also up against the cubes advantage that Holden-HSV already have from GM’s power train catalogue. If boosting smaller cubed engines to make big power is the future, then ford already have this advantage with the I6 anyway. Why do you need a smaller cubed V8 to do the same job? The V8 has become a victim of the I6 turbo’s success IMHO.

The 80's situation for Ford was so different as they just did not have a replacement for the sudden demise of a V8 in the Falcon's line up. The EFI I6 just did not cut the mustard especially as the last of the X series falcons were still large and pretty heavy compared to the current Commodore then and they still had the LWB Fairlane in the range as well. People used to buy these things back then just for their towing capacity alone. I suspect that if the I6 turbo made an appearance back then, then this wouldn’t have become an issue today because Ford may never have needed to bring back the V8 at all. Even Holden had a turbo I6 then which only fell by the wayside when the decision to cross over to the V6 was made, but they still had the V8 option on offer to fall back on.

Finally, I know someone that has only ever owned Fords and has always made the V8 his first preference. He is now on his third I6 turbo.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #80
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
There would have been some truth to this if it was said not too long ago (last 12 months).

The position has now changed, and I would say that Fords V8 lineup should actually be strengthened by the new V8 program.
This is good news.

I think I'd better start talking to the Minister of Warfare and Finance about my next car then...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #81
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Spot on snappy. I too think the I6 Turbo has been a revelation for Ford. They have built a great market brand around this piece of kit and it is growing. The current V8 actually now holds back the turbo I6's real potential from the factory's point of view. I don't think Ford could have foreseen the success of the I6 turbo when they first released it.

I also think that future continued development of the I6 turbo may have the effect of continually eroding V8's sales in the future which could in turn reduce profitability versus development cost of the V8 variant anyway. It may be hard even for FPV to make money on a V8 if they have to bear the cost of compliance alone. They are also up against the cubes advantage that Holden-HSV already have from GM’s power train catalogue. If boosting smaller cubed engines to make big power is the future, then ford already have this advantage with the I6 anyway. Why do you need a smaller cubed V8 to do the same job? The V8 has become a victim of the I6 turbo’s success IMHO.

The 80's situation for Ford was so different as they just did not have a replacement for the sudden demise of a V8 in the Falcon's line up. The EFI I6 just did not cut the mustard especially as the last of the X series falcons were still large and pretty heavy compared to the current Commodore then and they still had the LWB Fairlane in the range as well. People used to buy these things back then just for their towing capacity alone. I suspect that if the I6 turbo made an appearance back then, then this wouldn’t have become an issue today because Ford may never have needed to bring back the V8 at all. Even Holden had a turbo I6 then which only fell by the wayside when the decision to cross over to the V6 was made, but they still had the V8 option on offer to fall back on.

Finally, I know someone that has only ever owned Fords and has always made the V8 his first preference. He is now on his third I6 turbo.

I agree with everthing that you have said except for one thing . I beleve if ford dropped the v8 even with the i6t inplace in would be a failure.
If holden had a motor that matched the turbo . There would be some converts.
The v8 is a very popular motor and if the i6 turbo had the same performance as it , i think it would lose out.

I personally think ford should drop the inline 6t and focus on a forced inducted v8 , i think it would draw holden boys over aswell .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #82
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud

Sorry, I dont agree with you on the point that Ford couldnt foresee the success of the Turbo.
The Aussie market had been itching for a Turbo Falcon or Commodore since the demise of the VL, the fact it took 15 years for someone to realise is a bit of a joke. I remember the late 80s there was rumours of factory turbo EAs going on sale, then in the early 90s it was rumours that the EF would get one, then in the mid 90s the AU....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #83
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
You make a good point Globes, and I'm sure you are right. But I think the loss of the V8 to the company wasn't felt in the eighties. It was, and is, felt years later, when aussie kids of the late eighties, early nineties started buying new cars.

When I was growing up XC, XD, and XE Falcons all had V8s and whilst my family could never afford one, I got to drool over them, read about them, and watch Dick Johnson stick it to the opposition in one. And now I drive an FPV. In my eyes Ford only regained creditability when the V8 came back.

I feel sorry for the generation that had XF and EA falcons as their mainstay local product. Good honest cars, but how can you possibly lust over those cars? Holden had any number of V8 (and turbo) cars to lust over during that time. No wonder every second person you talk to only knows what a Holden is. No wonder in our car park at work there are 3 new SS commodores and only one Ford V8.

The V8 was not about sales volume (there were other cars for that), the V8 was all about hearts and minds. A business must be profitable to survive, but if people don't love your product how can you keep selling it in the long term?

P.S. On topic, I think the salesman was just trying to make a sale.

P.P.S. I'm sure there will be a day when V8s are consigned to history, perhaps the 6T (as good as it is) will spell the end of the V8 down the road, but I don't think it will happen in the short term.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #84
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
You make a good point Globes, and I'm sure you are right. But I think the loss of the V8 to the company wasn't felt in the eighties. It was, and is, felt years later, when aussie kids of the late eighties, early nineties started buying new cars.

When I was growing up XC, XD, and XE Falcons all had V8s and whilst my family could never afford one, I got to drool over them, read about them, and watch Dick Johnson stick it to the opposition in one. And now I drive an FPV. In my eyes Ford only regained creditability when the V8 came back.

I feel sorry for the generation that had XF and EA falcons as their mainstay local product. Good honest cars, but how can you possibly lust over those cars? Holden had any number of V8 (and turbo) cars to lust over during that time. No wonder every second person you talk to only knows what a Holden is. No wonder in our car park at work there are 3 new SS commodores and only one Ford V8.

The V8 was not about sales volume (there were other cars for that), the V8 was all about hearts and minds. A business must be profitable to survive, but if people don't love your product how can you keep selling it in the long term?

P.S. On topic, I think the salesman was just trying to make a sale.

P.P.S. I'm sure there will be a day when V8s are consigned to history, perhaps the 6T (as good as it is) will spell the end of the V8 down the road, but I don't think it will happen in the short term.
Good post OZQUAD44. In the short term, you are right, the V8 will be around. How many times have we heard it will be no longer made?? Everything does come to an end, but in this case there will always be many with ears that can't live with any other sound, such as a vacuum cleaner.

About 6 months before FG was released there were those who said the V8 will be dropped from the Ford line-up, and only to be offered with FPV. Never happened.

Immediately after FG was released, the press raved on and on about how sweet the I6T was, and to them that justified why the Ford V8 should roll over and die. As we can see, it won't happen. Not with this JEM of a V8.

In the future - 2-3 years - this V8 will/may get DI, and/or a host of other new techs that will have it meet any emissions standards of the day, it (the V8) will evolve just like any other ic engine. Heck, GM might even start using OHC by 2020.
Old 22-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #85
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Heck, GM might even start using OHC by 2020.
Holden is still using push rods in their V8s??? : I didn't know that.
Old 22-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #86
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Good post OZQUAD44. In the short term, you are right, the V8 will be around. How many times have we heard it will be no longer made?? Everything does come to an end, but in this case there will always be many with ears that can't live with any other sound, such as a vacuum cleaner.

About 6 months before FG was released there were those who said the V8 will be dropped from the Ford line-up, and only to be offered with FPV. Never happened.

Immediately after FG was released, the press raved on and on about how sweet the I6T was, and to them that justified why the Ford V8 should roll over and die. As we can see, it won't happen. Not with this JEM of a V8.

In the future - 2-3 years - this V8 will/may get DI, and/or a host of other new techs that will have it meet any emissions standards of the day, it (the V8) will evolve just like any other ic engine. Heck, GM might even start using OHC by 2020.
Careful...you go to far....LOL! This sounds like typical salesman drivel to my ears. Sure, based in some sound marketing facts RE sales of V8 Fords, but it would seem to ignore the entire next gen V8 set up.

For me, what we know is:
1. The next gen V8 for ford/fpv is coyote....in some form.
2. FPV will assemble the engine (from unknown parts, most imported) in australia, on its current line.
3. For the above to work, FPV has to build a certain number of units, otherwise its cheaper to just crate engine
4. Crash testing for an XR8 falcon (or any v8 falcon) would be essentially the same as an V8 FPV falcon (as well as a host of other reliability tests etc.) if they are based on the same engine (coyote).

Given the above i dont' see why Ford wouldnt still offer the V8 engine (at least in XR8) because:
- reduced overal unit cost RE development/production for the fpv v8 line
- with increased performance/fuel economy etc. it is likely to increase sales
- market research shows the importance of the V8 falcon....not to mention XRs are 50% of falcon sales now...and an XR8 would deliver incremental sales ot the line that would not be totally absorbed by the I6T if the XR8 were dropped....

Fundamentally, if FPV have a V8, then Ford has a V8. Status quo. Yes there are development costs for the Ford version of the V8 that are not part of the FPV engine. But assuming the bulk of the base V8 is american tech assembled here - it woulnd'nt be much.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #87
peter 351c
Starter Motor

hi ,
what a nice hot topic , it was about 6 months i was told something like that aswell
so i will try to find out from the person that told me & get back to yas , but there was also another rumor that ford was back to the cam design > single in the block , the way the old V8 where , who really knows the truth these days LOL
peter
peter 351c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #88
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

I also think its just a sales tactic,
he wants you to think 'oh no more v8's, i should go buy a brand new FG XR8 and put it in my shed and then sell it in a few years time, just like how the monaro's are selling for 100g.'
If they stopped producing the v8's, they would loose alot of sales because people will just jump to holden and grab the 6.0l SS. I think this salesmans nose is growing by the second..
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #89
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Good post OZQUAD44. In the short term, you are right, the V8 will be around. How many times have we heard it will be no longer made??
Kinda like the Falcon will be dropped.
Old 22-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #90
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
Holden is still using push rods in their V8s??? : I didn't know that.
Don't be too quick to jump on the anti pushrod bandwagon. There are advantages to this design, just as there is to overhead donks.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post