Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Yes we have noticed. Total sales to end of July 2006:

Falcon: 25,969
Falcon Ute: 9,450
Fairlane/LTD: 710
Territory: 11,419

Total: 47,548

Commodore: 30,702
Ute/Crewman: 9,221
Statesman/Caprice: 1,320
Adventra: 1,644
Monaro: 743

Total: 43,630

Ford has its biggest lead over Holden for more than a decade.

FF

In Australia! I think in NZ as well.

But dont get excited, looks like it's gonna get really bad in the second half of the year.
vztrt is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #62
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford has its biggest lead over Holden for more than a decade.
From what I hear was mainly due to Holden underestimating demand for run-out VZ models. Apparently they suffered a supply shortage.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #63
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
In Australia! I think in NZ as well.

But dont get excited, looks like it's gonna get really bad in the second half of the year.
I don't think it will be that bad. With the Government LPG rebate I expect to see many more Egas Falcons sold from here on.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #64
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
I don't think it will be that bad. With the Government LPG rebate I expect to see many more Egas Falcons sold from here on.

FF
Interesting point. I wonder if it will be cheaper for example to buy a petrol XT Falcon and get the LPG rebate on a conversion, or order an eGas Falcon which does not require a conversion, hence no rebate is provided?

Or does the Government provide this rebate if you buy an LPG powered new car?
Old 17-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #65
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Interesting point. I wonder if it will be cheaper for example to buy a petrol XT Falcon and get the LPG rebate on a conversion, or order an eGas Falcon which does not require a conversion, hence no rebate is provided?

Or does the Government provide this rebate if you buy an LPG powered new car?
Cheaper to buy EGAS as ford are giving EGAS for free at the moment (maybe thats only to us fleet buyers).

That means you get Gas for the same price as petrol then the government rebate. I know which way id be going.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #66
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seen Adrian Brien Ford advertise an E-Gas Falcon they said new with Govt Rebate of $2K. I have read on here that some delaers are registering cars & then selling them so you can get $2k rebate. Not sure how that works. As I was under the understanding that if you bought a new car & it was factory gas eg E-Gas Falcon or dual fuel VZ Commodore that the rebate was $1k on new cars.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #67
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
What I can't understand is why people are going for the smaller cars.

The engines need to do twice as much work as your average Falcon/Commodore to do the same thing. Meaning it uses as much fuel as a family sized car.
Sure smaller 4cyl be it a Corolla or Swift etc does need to rev harder (work) at 110km than the average BA/BF Falcon VZ/VE Commodore. But you are still going to get better economy in the smaller car not by as much as some would think. Sure not as comfortable or relaxed on the long haul. But for most people living in metro area doing start stop driving and short trips. The economy gap grows between the smaller cars & the family sized sedan eg Falcon/Commodore/380.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #68
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
I seen Adrian Brien Ford advertise an E-Gas Falcon they said new with Govt Rebate of $2K. I have read on here that some delaers are registering cars & then selling them so you can get $2k rebate. Not sure how that works. As I was under the understanding that if you bought a new car & it was factory gas eg E-Gas Falcon or dual fuel VZ Commodore that the rebate was $1k on new cars.
$2,000 rebate is for converting cars to LPG
$1,000 rebate is for buying brand new cars with factory fitted LPG

Details here

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #69
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I carry a mrs, 3 kids and a boot full of tools and "work-stuff".

I do about 700Km a week. including freeway, mountains, and city stuff.
I comfortably cruise at norty-norty km/h at under 2500rpm with the car loaded. I climb hills like they arent there. I know if something happens my kids and I are in a very safe car, and my chances of avoiding or surviving are above average for most cars.

I know I have a car that after 300,000 km will still be solid and fairly reliable, a car with a long life and cheaper then most to service and repair.

I drive a car that looks great and is a joy to own and a pleasure to drive (BA SR i6 auto)

I average better then 11.5/litres 100km (actually my speedo says 10.8).
For that I pay (at $1.40 per litre) $110 per week for petrol but I save with long term reliability and maintenace cost.

Now there is NO WAY i could squeeze my load and family into a corolla. But if i wanted to try... Acording to Wheels corolla autos do 10.0 litres per 100km . (I suspect I would be working it hard so would get worse!)

so my 700Km would cost $98.00
So my saving would be about $12.00 per week! (under $2 a day)
for which I would be cramped, my car would be a slug, so I would flog it and shortne its life. I would have much less car safety and driving pleasure ZERO.

I will gladly pay $2 for that any and every day.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #70
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
I carry a mrs, 3 kids and a boot full of tools and "work-stuff".
Blah Blah Acording to Wheels corolla autos do 10.0 litres per 100km . (I suspect I would be working it hard so would get worse!)

so my 700Km would cost $98.00
So my saving would be about $12.00 per week! (under $2 a day)Blah Blah Blah
I think you'll find that the advantages with the Corolla are in intial purchase price (10K less than the SR for the decent power optioned model), potentially cheeper servicing costs, and better resale than falcon. Saying that, I wouldn't buy a Corolla because it isn't me - but that's my excuse - I hate four cylinders - nothing agaisnt them, just not me :P
Old 18-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #71
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

better resale and "cheeper" servicing?not sure on that.
I keep my cars till they got over 300,000 on them.
I dont know how reliable, service-cheap and saleable 5 year old Rolla with 300,000 on it would be compared to a 5 year old falcon.

I reckon the rolla woudl be pretty tired.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:56 AM   #72
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rollas can go over 400000. Toyota has a name in reliability afterall.

As for resale:

AU2 Forte 2000 model, New $34,800, now $7,700-$10100 per redbook.
Corolla Conquest 200 model, new $24,356, now $10,600 - $13,000 per redbook.

AU owners can ask where their $24,000 has gone?
Corolla owners can ask where their $10,000 has gone.

As for current day running costs per NRMA:

TOYOTA COROLLA ASCENT ZZE122R MY06 4D SEDAN 1.8 L 5 SP MANUAL
Average Weekly Fuel Bill $33.75
Average Weekly Running Costs $77.28
Average Total WOL* cents/kilometre $49.72
Average Total WOL* Cost/weekly $143.43

FORD FALCON SR BF 4D SEDAN 4 L 4 SP AUTO SEQ SPORTSHIFT
Average Weekly Fuel Bill $50.63
Average Weekly Running Costs $87.04
Average Total WOL* cents/kilometre $74.2
Average Total WOL* Cost/weekly $214.05

Last edited by Dave_au; 18-08-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 18-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #73
feebs
BrwnBstd

Dunno

I have had a falc with 360,000.. and a carolla with 340,000

Both original motors etc.

The Carolla was FAR worse off (in fact the EF still gets around and still looks great), all in all they are a good car, just rather be in a falc, and that IS worth some extra money.

We outgrew the Carolla with one kiddie, and now have 3 with 1 more on the way. barely fit into our Patrol (talk about parking hassles).

Small cars are like fat chicks and 250CC motorbikes, lots of fun until your mates find out!
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #74
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
I wouldn't be surprised if our dim Sim friends buy 50% of the corollas
I have been saying that re: Camry for years. Camry's are the most boring, understyled car on the market ever, but they buy them in droves.
Camry's have no fans.
Even the Mitsubishi did more, and although it was a good car, was never perceived as such.

Our "friends" love Toyota. Simple fact. Probably because they are such boring pieces of poopie.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #75
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs
Small cars are like fat chicks and 250CC motorbikes, lots of fun until your mates find out!
Mate, I don't think you're one to judge anybody's taste in women. And for that, nobody is.

The phrase, "One man's trash is another man's treasure" applies to people as well.

Just be mindful of that.
Old 18-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #76
feebs
BrwnBstd

Wait a minute..

Your gonna agree with a racist comment, then have a go at me for a sexist one.

LOL
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #77
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm...wouldn't call that racist as our "friends" are nice people. A lot of my mates are "friends". But they love their Camry's, despite the fact they are boring piles of poopie.

But in the case of your statement, if you really loved somebody, regardless of their weight, number of pimples or bad odour, you wouldn't care what your friends thought. And if they made their bad feelings public, that would show what kind of friends they are.

I never used the term that Slickholden did. And never would.
Old 18-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #78
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Im way out of touch with the world these days, in that I cant understand how anyone can be so unemotional about a purchase to find a Corolla an appealing purchase, and their resale has me flabbergasted.

Anyway, e-gas moving up to 20% of sales? Thats scary, we've only got a few e-gas models in the fleet here and the guys cant wait to get shot of them due stalling, backfiring etc...these are high km guys. Guess low km people get them less often in time and are less bothered by them...

Is the e-gas really a good thing?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #79
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

One of my work mates is a holden man thru and thru..... maybe. He is looking at a new HSV but just cant get to like the looks of the car. I have taken him out a few times in my BF XR8 and has almost turned. He waiting to see the BF2 version and make his final decision, should ne interesting. I wonder how many times this will play out throughout Australia.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #80
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The BFII is awesome. Looking in Carsguide in the Herald Sun today, I compared the Falcon and the Commodore, and I reckon the Falcon canes it. Yeah, it may be a "generation" behind in looks, but frankly who cares when I reckon the Commodore looks pretty average. Pity all those Holden bandwagoners will jizz their panties and go out and buy them.

BFII is very sexy. Pity I haven't got any spare cash lying about. Anybody have a spare 50k?