Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #61
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First Australian Road Test Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
In central Europe it gets very hot in summer and in winter there's a rather significant need for the heating! I'm surprised that such a feature might be omitted from a Europe-spec Mondeo. It would put them at a competitive disadvantage for one thing.
The higher trim Mondeos have it, the base Ambiente doesnt. Probably saves them $1.20.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #62
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really like the look of this car, I think it’s one of only a few models that Fords front design language actually looks good.

Any chance they are working on an ST version?? If they did (in manual), it would be a tossup between Mustang & ST Mondeo for me. Without a manual performance model the Mustang wins hands down as my Falcon replacement. However, both are a compromise from my XR6T Falcon :( :(
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #63
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I saw a blue hatch today. It looks fantastic in the flesh. It only had the mondeo badge but I think it was a titanium. It had privacy glass and the moon roof. The front looks sensational but they should have updated the rear lights. The interior is much more up to date than the previous model. The screen looks huge.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205

It's quite true that the Mondeo doesn't totally replace the Falcon - there are some Falcons (such as the ute, EcoLPi and XR8) that are simply irreplaceable with anything else in the Ford range anywhere in the world. But outside of all of that, I don't see why the Mondeo can't win over Falcon sales, such as it is at the moment.

What you say is quite right: that there is a lot of choice out there. But that would stand true today even while the Falcon still exists - there are a lot of choices out there that are cheaper and more feature packed than the Falcon for people that buy cars dispassionately. Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Hyundai Sonata, Subaru Liberty etc are just as much competitors of the Falcon and Commodore as they are of the Mondeo.

But just as there are people that will buy Falcon because it's a Falcon, so will there be people, like myself, who will buy Mondeo over its competitors simply because it's a Ford.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257E23002A6557

Ford Australia has previously confirmed that it will not source a direct replacement for the large rear-wheel drive Falcon when production ends, leaving the Mondeo as the sole mid-to-large-size passenger offering in its line-up.

However, Mr Katic said Ford would not push the Mondeo as a Falcon replacement as the two models appeal to different buyers.

“We don’t say that Mondeo is going to be a Falcon replacement. We think Falcon has been a tremendous product for us. An incredibly passionate, loyal customer base that we love and we wouldn’t say that Mondeo is your Falcon replacement.

“We sell a rich mix of XR6 Turbos, XR8s, we are trying to build more of them and that is the heartland of Falcon and you have a lot of Falcon buyers who demand that rear-wheel drive experience so we are not for a moment saying Falcon customers come and buy a Mondeo. Obviously we will communicate with them, as we do all our customers, letting them know there is an all-new Mondeo and from a dimension point of view it is not far off.

“But an XR8 buyer is not looking for a front-wheel drive Mondeo. We want to pay respect and homage to Falcon and if those buyers want to buy it, awesome, but we are not looking to transfer them over.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I really like the look of this car, I think it’s one of only a few models that Fords front design language actually looks good.

Any chance they are working on an ST version?? If they did (in manual), it would be a tossup between Mustang & ST Mondeo for me. Without a manual performance model the Mustang wins hands down as my Falcon replacement. However, both are a compromise from my XR6T Falcon :( :(

FORD'S all-new Mondeo could gain a performance-honed ST variant down the track, while a hybrid powertrain is also locked in for the latest version of the Spanish-built mid-sizer, according to Ford’s local marketing boss.

The fourth-generation Mondeo launched to the media in Canberra last week after a lengthy two-year delay, with one diesel and two petrol powertrains and three specification levels on offer ahead of its showroom debut in May.

Ford offered the sporty XR5 Turbo version of the previous-generation Mondeo, powered by a 162kW/320Nm Volvo-sourced five-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, but it was discontinued in 2010.

The ST moniker adorns both the Fiesta light hatch and the Focus, and is becoming something of a performance sub-brand for Ford globally.

Speaking with GoAuto at the media drive for the Mondeo, Ford Australia general manager of marketing David Katic hinted at the possible development of an ST-badged Mondeo, and said the company's local arm is keen to add such a model to its line-up, should it get the green light.

“I’d love to do one,” he said. “You can imagine an ST version would look beautiful. Obviously we play our cards close to our chest but we think it is an opportunity for us down the track once we get established in the marketplace, but the car would naturally suit that sort of thing.”

Late last year the Blue Oval announced it would bring its global engineering and racing teams and its performance car development under the Ford Performance banner, and confirmed it would launch 12 new performance vehicles by 2020.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #65
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the advertising and kit, these cars should be flying out of the showroom, but i think its the problematic recent years have left question marks on them ,
i would love to see ford do something like they did with the XP`s and run them around a track non stop for 8 days and prove they are not going to end up on a tilt tray heading back to the dealer, i think this would make a difference.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #66
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

“We don’t say that Mondeo is going to be a Falcon replacement. We think Falcon has been a tremendous product for us. An incredibly passionate, loyal customer base that we love and we wouldn’t say that Mondeo is your Falcon replacement.

“We sell a rich mix of XR6 Turbos, XR8s, we are trying to build more of them and that is the heartland of Falcon and you have a lot of Falcon buyers who demand that rear-wheel drive experience so we are not for a moment saying Falcon customers come and buy a Mondeo. Obviously we will communicate with them, as we do all our customers, letting them know there is an all-new Mondeo and from a dimension point of view it is not far off.

“But an XR8 buyer is not looking for a front-wheel drive Mondeo. We want to pay respect and homage to Falcon and if those buyers want to buy it, awesome, but we are not looking to transfer them over.”
That sounds like marketing weasel words for "we have no intention of retaining you as customers guys, now rack off and buy a BMW or Merc".
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #67
vbomber

Is the Mondeo actually 2.1m wide compared to the Falcon being 1.86m wide? If so its not going to fit into my garage without mirrors being tucked in....
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #68
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
That sounds like marketing weasel words for "we have no intention of retaining you as customers guys, now rack off and buy a BMW or Merc".
Call me naive, but I read it as being quite matter-of-fact. They realistically know an XR8 buyer is less likely to buy a Mondeo, nice to see them admit to reality.

And why would they happily lose customers to BMW or Merc when the Mondeo has many of their safety features (just not their reputation, yet)?

Let's hope the supply issues of the past will stay exactly that, with so many new/updated models this year we can't have 70% of potential sales (Ranger/Everest/Mustang/Mondeo/Focus) made with customers who have had a frustrating wait.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #69
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es# View Post
And why would they happily lose customers to BMW or Merc when the Mondeo has many of their safety features (just not their reputation, yet)?
You mean just not extremely well-sorted rear wheel drive performance. That's what he's talking about. Ford won't have that exact type and quality of replacement for Falcon (or Territory for that matter). Those customers will have to look elsewhere.

However, if you're prepared to cross the Rubicon and embrace FWD then, sure, the Mondeo and other models will be good substitutes.

But the guy said "we are not looking to transfer them over.” That's pretty explicit and I guess they've calculated they won't suffer much damage from losing those customers because in the whole picture their numbers aren't large.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #70
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
Is the Mondeo actually 2.1m wide compared to the Falcon being 1.86m wide? If so its not going to fit into my garage without mirrors being tucked in....
I see the dimensions as,
Dimensions: 4871mm (L), 1852m (W), 1482mm (H), 2850mm (WB)

I am not sure if that width includes the mirrors or not though, I would have thought yes.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #71
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
Its 2.1 with mirrors, Falcon is 1.86 without mirrors.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #72
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
You mean just not extremely well-sorted rear wheel drive performance. That's what he's talking about. Ford won't have that exact type and quality of replacement for Falcon (or Territory for that matter). Those customers will have to look elsewhere.

However, if you're prepared to cross the Rubicon and embrace FWD then, sure, the Mondeo and other models will be good substitutes.

But the guy said "we are not looking to transfer them over.” That's pretty explicit and I guess they've calculated they won't suffer much damage from losing those customers because in the whole picture their numbers aren't large.
How many buyers, apart from the Ford loyal and performance fans, buy Falcon for RWD. I won't get into the RWD vs FWD debate (I'm with you when it comes to dynamics, etc), but Ford is a business and can only sell what is available to them.

I think they're well aware Falcon fans, especially those buying XR's, aren't likely to consider Mondeo. No use in cramming it down their throat, different market and buyer. If a product is no longer viable and the only similar product available doesn't satisfy the same customer, there's no use in flogging a dead horse. You need to find other ways to satisfy that customer... Mustang, Edge, Everest, etc. They'll never satisfy everyone, no manufacturer does.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es# View Post
I won't get into the RWD vs FWD debate
i would say upwards of 80% of the buying public wouldn't know what their car had and wouldn't care.

i have a falcon and a focus. i could easily live with a focus. unless you are driving like a tool, you'd be hard pressed to notice which wheels are driving the car in modern cars.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #74
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i would say upwards of 80% of the buying public wouldn't know what their car had and wouldn't care.

i have a falcon and a focus. i could easily live with a focus. unless you are driving like a tool, you'd be hard pressed to notice which wheels are driving the car in modern cars.
Got any facts to back that up.......

I agree that fords comments about mondeo not replacing falcon customers is fair. If they had come out saying mondeo was the direct replacement for falcon.....this thread would be full of all the haters whinging about that.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Got any facts to back that up.......
ummm... VFACTS!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #76
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
ummm... VFACTS!
Vf facts show sales....not people's knowledge of what their car has and if they care or not. Nearly everyone I know knows exactly if there car is a fwd or rwd, or if it's a diesel or petrol. Must be like 90%.(still doesn't mean that's the case aus wide) But that's a big swing from your -80% or were you just plucking digits from thin air?
Old 15-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #77
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I see the dimensions as,
Dimensions: 4871mm (L), 1852m (W), 1482mm (H), 2850mm (WB)

I am not sure if that width includes the mirrors or not though, I would have thought yes.
Falcon is 1523 wide excluding mirrors. Mondeo is 1469 excluding mirrors. Wheelbase of Mondeo is 2850 (similar to Territory) compared with 2638 for Falcon. This means that internal leg room will probably be better on the Mondeo, but it will probably fail what I call the "two baby seats and a baby capsule" test on the inside, in contrast to the wider Australian family cars (Commodore, Falcon, Territory) which have always excelled on that front.

For me, internal dimensions are more important - a failed car design is one that's big on the outside but small on the inside. You have to live in the car on a regular basis.

Falcon's front seat shoulder room is 1523 compared with 1429 for Mondeo. Rear seat Falcon 1518, Mondeo 1410. (Territory for comparison is 1548 front, 1528 rear.)

Mondeo's cargo space is huge but the Falcon wagon is no longer available to compare with. However, they all lack the integral cargo net that allows you to safely stack luggage to the ceiling, so effective safe capacity is that below the cargo cover/blind and manufacturers won't own up to that more real-life figure.

Both Falcon and Mondeo are as heavy as the lighter large SUVs so there's not a lot of advantage in that regard. Personally, I find high step-in crossovers generally nowadays have progressed so far in design that they make a more attractive family car.
Here's an interesting Top Gear review and background of Mondeo:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/f...ive-2014-10-07
Old 15-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #78
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New2Ford,
My MC has option of the cargo net. And cargo barrier is also available.
S
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 02:31 AM   #79
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Falcon is 1523 wide excluding mirrors. Mondeo is 1469 excluding mirrors.
Wrong. Falcon is 2100mm wide including mirrors, 1868mm without. Mondeo is 2121mm wide including mirrors, 1852mm without.

Quote:
Wheelbase of Mondeo is 2850 (similar to Territory) compared with 2638 for Falcon.
Wheelbase is 2838mm on the Falcon.

Quote:
Mondeo's cargo space is huge but the Falcon wagon is no longer available to compare with. However, they all lack the integral cargo net that allows you to safely stack luggage to the ceiling, so effective safe capacity is that below the cargo cover/blind and manufacturers won't own up to that more real-life figure.
Cargo barrier is available on Mondeo wagons. Cargo nets are available for all models.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #80
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Wrong. Falcon is 2100mm wide including mirrors, 1868mm without. Mondeo is 2121mm wide including mirrors, 1852mm without.

Wheelbase is 2838mm on the Falcon.

Cargo barrier is available on Mondeo wagons. Cargo nets are available for all models.
I thought some of them numbers looked odd. 1.5m wide is pretty narrow for a falcon. Either way all good. Good to see cargo barriers available. Would also be odd if those were unavailable. It would be quite a big aftermarket item to not cash in on by making it a factory option.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #81
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that width figure was internal dimensions

Old 16-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #82
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
I think that width figure was internal dimensions
You're right, they're the internal front seat widths as pointed out further down in my post. Holy smoke, what was I thinking? Mea culpa, it must have been the wine. Thanks guys for the corrected figures.

Re cargo nets, not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I mean an extendible net that rolls up to the ceiling from the cargo cover in order to stop loads moving forward in a crash:

This increases the capacity of the cargo area significantly by allowing you to stack up to the ceiling. It's also flexible and can be stowed instantly, unlike the rigid metal barrier than has to be fixed or removed.
Old 16-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #83
BAMK01

Had a look at some pics last night of the new wagon I'm a big fan but not at that price tag.

They should have build the full size version in the FGX XR8 family wagon where you can have your cake and eat it too
BAMK01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 11:38 PM   #84
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Nearly everyone I know knows exactly if there car is a fwd or rwd, or if it's a diesel or petrol.
You should see the fun around the Snowline during Winter, with people putting chains on the wrong end.
Old 17-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #85
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
You should see the fun around the Snowline during Winter, with people putting chains on the wrong end.
They should be putting chains on all wheels no matter what wheels drive it...lol.(edit, mind you this is often a new car issue because of traction control systems and so on.) in mt hotham,(for eg) the biggest problems we used to see were always people thinking their AwD car is more capable then it really was. Some of them are plain useless.....but tyres are a big part of that too.

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 18-04-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 17-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #86
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive seen chains on the front of a Hiace Commuter bus before.

Old 18-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #87
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Ive seen chains on the front of a Hiace Commuter bus before.
some people argue that it's not drive that's the problem...but stopping and steering.so you'll see some put them on the front if they have good winter tyres!