Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Did Ford use the correct Sequential Shift direction?
Yes - I think the Ford direction is correct 205 74.28%
No - I think they should reverse 57 20.65%
Candy 14 5.07%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #61
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Spot on....manual states the following:

"When driving in manual mode, emergency kickdown allows the transmission to automatically select a lower gear for rapid acceleration in an emergency situation without needing to manually select the gear. The powertrain control module controls kickdown by sensing factors including vehicle speed, accelerator position and selected gear."

Sorry, forget question about adaptive mode too.

Im exhausted now. That should clear it up for everyone.
Well I'll be buggered, you're right, it does say that. I'm glad mine doesn't do it though. :
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #62
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Well I'll be buggered, you're right, it does say that. I'm glad mine doesn't do it though. :

No worries mate! Its not often I'm right so I'm briefly basking in self loving!!! As I said earlier, you honestly have to be giving it some serious welly!

(only in a controlled environment, of course!)

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #63
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No worries mate! Its not often I'm right so I'm briefly basking in self loving!!! As I said earlier, you honestly have to be giving it some serious welly!

(only in a controlled environment, of course!)
Ha ha ha. I just went out to get my owners manual before, and as soon as I read that about emergency kick-back, I read your post. Sorry again :monkes:

I've had a 2 tonne trailer on the back of mine in manual 4th with my foot flat to floor going up a hill only doing 60k's, and the tranny won't move.

Interested to hear what sort of BA yours is, plus other members who have the same thing happen...... Not an XR??
Old 25-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #64
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As Scottishxc has said yours will do it you just gotta be driving it hard. it wont kick back if your to high in the revs or you don't push your foot to the floor. get it right and you get serious amounts of back end sliding out but yes in controlled enviroment and not for the streets.

These boxes take a fair caning so dont be frightned to drive them hard just dont drive them stupid.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #65
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

God no! Mines a company farter!(hence the manner in which it gets driven) She's a BA Futura MKII sedan Actually, I love her like I owned her (bloody well earn the damn thing!)

Dan 635 said he got most of the models to do it?

Maybe we need to redefine a poll- Who can cause emergency kickdown in their SS fitted Falc?

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Old 26-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #66
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

*Edit* already stated earlier. Should read everything first!

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #67
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Ok just drove mine again to check

In full manual in 4th it will drop back to 3 at approx 30 kmh, it will then drop back to 2nd at approx 20 kmh and it will then drop back to 1st at approx 10 kmh all while decelerating.

I put it in 4 th manual again and floored it at 40 kmh and it did not change gears at all.

Maybe the Mk2's amy be different to MK1's or maybe FPV's are different to to non FPV's.

Anyone who says I did not accelerate hard enough please come and show me how I can accelerate harder than I'm doing and that way I may be able to improve my 1/4 times or dyno results as it appears to be lacking a little

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #68
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter

In full manual in 4th it will drop back to 3 at approx 30 kmh, it will then drop back to 2nd at approx 20 kmh and it will then drop back to 1st at approx 10 kmh all while decelerating.

I put it in 4 th manual again and floored it at 40 kmh and it did not change gears at all.

Maybe the Mk2's amy be different to MK1's or maybe FPV's are different to to non FPV's.

Anyone who says I did not accelerate hard enough please come and show me how I can accelerate harder than I'm doing and that way I may be able to improve my 1/4 times or dyno results as it appears to be lacking a little
Are you edited? This may have changed the factory settings.

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 26-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #69
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter

What does your manual say? Anyone got a manual from a MK1 or an FPV? I don't think that the FPV would be any different, its a safety feature after all.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 26-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #70
Aeron
DJR Fan

Ford have it the right way. The 2litre touring cars had it the same way, and they use a sequential g/box.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #71
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Are you edited? This may have changed the factory settings.
yes I've been edited,but positive it was that way before any mods because I can remember loading the motor to help run in.

Old 26-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #72
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What does your manual say? Anyone got a manual from a MK1 or an FPV? I don't think that the FPV would be any different, its a safety feature after all.
Went to check my manual, but have left it at my workshop

Old 26-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #73
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've had a 2 tonne trailer on the back of mine in manual 4th with my foot flat to floor going up a hill only doing 60k's, and the tranny won't move.
Thats not exactly an emergency situation.

There is a few times on the same corner that I have had the work ute kick-down. Coming around left turn into a side street, sitting in 2nd @ about 20km/h, Ill put my foot flat on accelerator and it'll drop down as if it is in normal adaptive mod. A quick look at the LCD screen in dash and itll show the gear flashing and then over-ride itself back into 'PERF' mode not manual mode.

Once again, the book says that it is judged on vehicle speed, accelerator position and selected gear. Simply going around corner and mashing the pedal is not always gonna cause it to kick down. I'd be guessing the car is using other factors such as road surface, how fast the accelerator may be pressed and even steering input possibly.

Its not a hinderance in anyway, I do 150km's day in a work BA E-gas and the another 35km's a day in my BA fairmont Ghia, and Ill be lucky if it happens to me once every month. I have never found it annoying in anyway.

In regard to the BA box being better than the AU box? They are "technically the same box. Just the BA box lets the 'manual mode' be selected in tip-tronic via solenoids, where-as the AU uses the conventional click1-click2-click3-drive mode. My opinion ... the BA box is better, but the BF 4 speed is by far the BEST.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #74
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Devil's advocate here... What do you do in an emergency situation when driving a manual?
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #75
BlackLS

Doesn't the new Transit van have a clutchless manual with paddle shift?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkoz
I remember when I got the first print of the BA brochure, the pictures of the interior showed the trans with the + forward and the - back. Questioned the dealer about this when I ordered my XR and he mentioned it was probably a photo of one of the proto interiors.

If you have one of these original brochures, take a look. I'll scan a pic if I can find mine.

JB
Thats because that was the way they were going to do it, it was a last minute change to put it the way it is now. They followed BMW's example because it goes with the G forces of braking and accelerating. The photos would have been taken from pre production models. I think they got it right, and all the journos seem to agree.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #77
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Subaru got it right with the pull towards driver and then back for down change and forward for up changes. Realy doesnt matter though as it's still a poor excuse for a manual no matter how hard the companies try and flog it as a manual.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #78
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Thats not exactly an emergency situation.
In all fairness mate, the computer can't detect what is an emergency situation and what is just hard driving.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. It seems in reality and from my experience and that of club members and other forum members, that the auto's in Ford's performance line-up (Boss & turbo motors), will not kick back in full manual mode until revs drop below a certain point. There are more than a few things stated in the manual that don't apply to other models, and the auto XR8 was released after the manual first went to print

As I witnessed in a taxi (MkI XT) on the way to the Clipsal today, in full manual mode, it will kick back. Obviously safety feature in NA I6.

If I manually held my XR8 in say 3rd around a tight corner in the hills during a thrash-fest while at full throttle, and the gearbox kicked back to 1st, all hell would break loose.

A sales pitch statement given to Ford dealers from FPV in 2003 with the release of the auto XR8: "Developed jointly by BTR and FPV, the new M97-019 auto uses the same casing and ratios as the XR6t but is engineered to match the Boss engine with a stronger gearset, tailored shift characteristics and a specific torque converter, allowing full driver control in sequential mode."
Old 26-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #79
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
I actually find the gearing and speed in gears quite good in the falcons. I do alot of spirited hills drives, and the SSS seems to be perfect. Tighter stuff ... simply hold it in first, and the power and torque curve is always there. Faster stuff ... 2nd and 3rd gear do the trick and 4th will break some serious laws : . The VCT helps alot, If your revving too low, you can really feel the engine go into "aggressive" mode.

The first gear maximum inhibited downshift speed of 65km/h is indeed quite annoying, but its there to stop undue stress on the transmission.

I too have felt this, before learning it. it was very smooth but at lower speeds after some spritied driving, you can feel the gearbox smacking the gears in. what you call aggressive mode.

but i found the SSS is pretty quick once is learns.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #80
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Ford have it the right way round.

Down to go up, up to go down. Should be an Australian Standard.

Always said Mitsubishi had it back to front.
Old 27-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #81
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Candy
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #82
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Down to go up, up to go down. Should be an Australian Standard.
Doesn't this statement make it seem that it is the wrong way around?
Old 27-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #83
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ever since I saw the British Touring cars 5-6 years ago with them ... it looked the best way of shifting ... then I drive a Magna with the INVECS-II sequential shifter and kept changing into 1st from 2nd (when near redline .... OUCH)

I hated the way Mitsu did it ... and very happy with the Ford setup ... I just used it then in the Territory actually, to duck in from the left lane that was engine (guy in the Lancer thought he could keep me at bay .... ummmm NO).
Old 27-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #84
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Subaru got it right with the pull towards driver and then back for down change and forward for up changes. Realy doesnt matter though as it's still a poor excuse for a manual no matter how hard the companies try and flog it as a manual.
Are you basing this statement on your subaru experience or do/have you owned/driven a BA/BF?
Old 27-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #85
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Based on the fact i own a subaru and never got confused with which way to go and also the fact l used to own a ba ( manual version though) and have driven various ba auto's with sequencial shift. I personaly think seqential is absolutly nothing like driving a manual car and as au11 should have stated above: Down to shift down and up to shift up( says it all in my opinion)
Old 27-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #86
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Based on the fact i own a subaru and never got confused with which way to go and also the fact l used to own a ba ( manual version though) and have driven various ba auto's with sequencial shift. I personaly think seqential is absolutly nothing like driving a manual car and as au11 should have stated above: Down to shift down and up to shift up( says it all in my opinion)
Says what exactly?
Old 28-03-2006, 07:18 AM   #87
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
Says what exactly?

Do you not understand what l said???? Push shift up( gear go up) pull shift down( gear go down)
Old 28-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #88
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Do you not understand what l said???? Push shift up( gear go up) pull shift down( gear go down)

I think what most people who agree that Ford have done it the right way are saying so because you use the manual mode when driving in a more aggressive way- hence the direction of gearchange goes the correct way when taking the G forces and body movement into consideration

This being the reason that touring cars, etc chose this way to do it.

I.e when you accellerate, you get pushed back in your seat so it is easier to change up a gear by then pulling back.

Its a poll so everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm just reiterating why it is done this way!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 28-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #89
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's why Ford used it.
Mitsubishi on the other hand did it the other way cos their cars were designed for cardigan wearers ... and there is no G-force involved.

They just made it easier for geriatrics .. up gear goes forward ... YAY *clap hands*

just joking (but i could be right)
Old 28-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #90
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
That's why Ford used it.
Mitsubishi on the other hand did it the other way cos their cars were designed for cardigan wearers ... and there is no G-force involved.
That's funny!! :nutsycuck

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to: