Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #61
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Getting through to the Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
the 1% I disagree on? crush the car, whoever it belongs to, all that would happen otherwise is that every punk would just register their car in their granny's name. People will be very careful about who they give the keys to/where they leave the keys if they know thats the consequence.
Dont agree with crushing cars and people that crush a good car should be punished.

Also all its going to do is make that person hate the law/police forever. I know I would.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 14-05-2012 at 05:18 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #62
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
sudszy - welcome back.

couple of questions.

what procedure did you go through to get your licence?

and

did you do anything stupid in a motor vehicle when you were young?

a lot of people are quick to jump on the speed kills bandwagon, but fail to notice that the speeds of those that wrap themselves around trees etc are well in excess of the posted limit. people also die whilst travelling below the posted limit. speed should never be confused with speeding, and yet it almost always is.

tightening speed limits only affects those who choose to follow them. there is a real lack of respect for authority these days and i think this is where a lot of problems stem from. personally i think there are many who are not getting raised properly in the home either, with parents expecting ALL education to come from school. combine that with a lack of respect for authority and its easy to understand many of the situations we see around.
I agree, alot of the problem comes down to the lack of respect and ones upbringing.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #63
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

"personally i think there are many who are not getting raised properly in the home either, with parents expecting ALL education to come from school. combine that with a lack of respect for authority and its easy to understand many of the situations we see around." Quote from prydey.

Mate you're right on! When i was a youth worker i worked with heaps of these kids and this demagraphic was by far the most at risk. To be fair kids from good families though less likely, are prone to do risky behaviour it depends on who they kick around with or share common interests or role models with.....

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 14-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #64
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
sudszy - welcome back.

couple of questions.

what procedure did you go through to get your licence?
thanks for the welcome, though not sure how I got my licence is at all relevant. All I did was book a test and turn up in the family car and passed! that was all that was required, maybe 20hours of driving practice before.

No skid pans nothing...sure ive done some motorkhanas and stuff , but in 30+ years of driving Ive never had to use any special skill to avoid any incident.
Driving and keeping out of trouble on public roads is 99.9% attitude

People that come on here and tell us how many times that advanced driving course has saved their lives must leave very little room for error, poor anticipation skills and/or have a way of finding trouble!

Quote:

did you do anything stupid in a motor vehicle when you were young?

Lol, what makes you think im old? yes I did and regret it, Ive already mentioned one incident (to my detriment on this forum) would I have done them knowing I could be detected and/or my vehicle crushed? no way.

Quote:
but fail to notice that the speeds of those that wrap themselves around trees etc are well in excess of the posted limit.
No, Im not advocating lower speed limits for where this events occur, just consequences for those that cant abide by them, whether its 5km/h, 10km/h,40km/h over, there is no magic number by which exceeding the limit suddenly changes from safe to dangerous. A line has to be ruled somewhere.

Perhaps those that are campaigning for 130km/h on our country arterials could answer this question?
Two vehicles, A and B,(let them be current model Fords) are travelling at 100km/h and 130km/h and have to react to an identical circumstance in front of them which requires them to stop as soon as possible.

Given one second reaction times for both drivers to hit the brakes hard and that the vehicle travelling at 100km/h is able to just pull up, what is the speed the vehicle at 130km/h reaches the incident at?

answer? 94km/h
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #65
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
Dont agree with crushing cars and people that crush a good car should be punished.

Also all its going to do is make that person hate the law/police forever. I know I would.
I understand its hard for the young fella's to fathom why the government sometimes have to go hardcore to get the message through. A car is a weapon when driven inappropriatly and the community has the right to live in safety.

When Joe Blow grows up and has kids then some evil kneivel young fella makes a mistake hooning his vehicle and crashes into and through his house killing someone, do you think the driver deserves to be punished? The above law is an attempt to stop this behaviour and outcome, the punishment reflects the level of risk.

Boundries are set for a reason and this law would apply to serial reoffenders?, sometimes you have to make an example of someone to get the message through to others of like mind regardless of age or background.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 14-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #66
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka
I understand its hard for the young fella's to fathom why the government sometimes have to go hardcore to get the message through. A car is a weapon when driven inappropriatly and the community has the right to live in safety.

When Joe Blow grows up and has kids then some evil kneivel young fella makes a mistake hooning his vehicle and crashes into and through his house killing someone, do you think the driver deserves to be punished? The above law is an attempt to stop this behaviour and outcome, the punishment reflects the level of risk.

Boundries are set for a reason and this law would apply to serial reoffenders?, sometimes you have to make an example of someone to get the message through to others of like mind regardless of age or background.

cheers,Maka
Well said.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #67
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Well said except I know how the youths feel about this action and it is more down the lines of FTP! and well I'm just going to drive without a license in an unwarrantable **** box because I can do skids in it and then it won't matter if it gets crushed opposed to my RB20DET that I worked my *** off for.

I don't agree with this veiw and it isn't mine but after growing up in boys high hostel with the odd boyracer or bogan this is how they are. You crush their cars they just go silly.
Old 14-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #68
prydey
Rob

Quote:
thanks for the welcome, though not sure how I got my licence is at all relevant. All I did was book a test and turn up in the family car and passed! that was all that was required, maybe 20hours of driving practice before.

No skid pans nothing...sure ive done some motorkhanas and stuff , but in 30+ years of driving Ive never had to use any special skill to avoid any incident.
Driving and keeping out of trouble on public roads is 99.9% attitude

People that come on here and tell us how many times that advanced driving course has saved their lives must leave very little room for error, poor anticipation skills and/or have a way of finding trouble!

Lol, what makes you think im old? yes I did and regret it, Ive already mentioned one incident (to my detriment on this forum) would I have done them knowing I could be detected and/or my vehicle crushed? no way.
it was just a couple of questions requiring feedback. it just highlights that all people, when they are young and regardless of training methods, do stupid things on the road. many claim the training is to blame now, but i actually agree with you. i think training now is better now than in the past, and most people that argue the training is to blame, had less training themselves when they got their licence.

Quote:
No, Im not advocating lower speed limits for where this events occur, just consequences for those that cant abide by them, whether its 5km/h, 10km/h,40km/h over, there is no magic number by which exceeding the limit suddenly changes from safe to dangerous. A line has to be ruled somewhere.

Perhaps those that are campaigning for 130km/h on our country arterials could answer this question?
Two vehicles, A and B,(let them be current model Fords) are travelling at 100km/h and 130km/h and have to react to an identical circumstance in front of them which requires them to stop as soon as possible.

Given one second reaction times for both drivers to hit the brakes hard and that the vehicle travelling at 100km/h is able to just pull up, what is the speed the vehicle at 130km/h reaches the incident at?

answer? 94km/h
i'm fine with the 100/110 limits. its a good compromise between speed and fuel economy. might sound strange, but at 130, most cars would consume much more juice. obviously some would rather get to their destination quicker. i guess it depends on the length of your journey. most times when i travel on the national highways/motorways, it is between adelaide and brisbane.

this thread isn't really about speed limits and speeding though, rather trying to convince younger people that older people do actually know what they are on about. everyone that is north of 30 or 40 all tell the same story about their teen's. they thought they knew more than their parents. i can't see how tightening rules and regulations will change this. its just a part of human nature.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #69
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this thread isn't really about speed limits and speeding though, rather trying to convince younger people that older people do actually know what they are on about. everyone that is north of 30 or 40 all tell the same story about their teen's. they thought they knew more than their parents. i can't see how tightening rules and regulations will change this. its just a part of human nature.
You got it right about the convincing younger drivers being difficult. It can be done, but it requires work. The best outcomes are when we build bridges. As an older person I can be a mentor to a younger person who has not got a positive older role model in their life. Connections between people creates real change. Yelling at teenagers, giving them huge fines, taking their car off them only fuels a fire of disrespect and anger at the society, and a further disconnection from the rules we all obey.
As an example - I regularly take younger fellas to the drags and introduce them to taking their need for speed out on the track. I also don't judge them for being young and impulsive. They can be very frustrating at times, but building bridges and being a good mentor more than makes up for it. Let them see you respect them, and i think you will find that it will be returned (mostly) in kind.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #70
99AUXR
Brad

I agree with your above post. The guy who now owns the 550HP silvia I talked about in my first post is my age (18) and he goes to race tracks and goes drifting etc. on the track. But when he gets back onto the road he is more placid than most drivers barely getting the turbo to spool. Even when provoked at the great red light gran prix he will still not race.

Now Im speaking for others here but the problem with this for some is some just bassically dont have time to go for a track session. Some don't have the money as it is EXPENSIVE. Especially when some track sessions say fire extinguisher etc. and then lastly confidence some people just dont have the balls to do it so they stay on the road with prius owners. (No offense prius owners, but seriously get a new car)

EDIT: Saw you sig for the first time and