Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you buy a front wheel drive Falcon.
Yes 32 8.40%
No 349 91.60%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #61
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales
If Falcon goes FWD perhaps Commodore will follow then everybody will have to buy BMW's or Mercs
i doubt holden would follow suit [if they have a say in it]. the dark side tend to have more of a clue as to what the australian motoring public wants and they do have a marketing department [something ford has not had since the 1980's].if the falcon goes v6,FWD, how many punters will turn to the commodore as a replacement? cheers.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #62
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See my sig............

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #63
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

old school or holden if they do

? what happens to the v8 suoercars, bathurst etc ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #64
220XR8
Banned

Voted yes, The missus has an 05 Magna and for 99.99% of the time it will do what a RWD vehicle will, and use less fuel doing it. Maybe at 10/10th it's not as controllable but at the end of the day who drives there on as daily basis.
220XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #65
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
old school or holden if they do

Yes! and Lowndes is off the line! OH NO! he's torque steered into the crowd and killed 15 people!
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #66
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Yes! and Lowndes is off the line! OH NO! he's torque steered into the crowd and killed 15 people!
LOL!!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #67
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Remember this leak?

I wouldn't be toooo devastated if they replaced the Falcon with an AWD EcoBoost Taurus and called it a Falcon. It beats FWD.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #68
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Not quite the image I had, ? I know adelaide have spent some big $ and upgrades for the clipsal into the future and where does the series stand with no V8 RWD ?

Recently a heap of cobra's / gt's sold of based on our proud past, and then we are supposed to forget and move onto into the bubble car over night.

change, i suppose that is the one constant.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #69
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When since did what the factory offers as a daily drive have anything to do with V8 super cars?

Even if the Falcon is released as a FWD or even AWD, project blue print would soon have them set up the same anyway.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #70
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Even if the Falcon is released as a FWD or even AWD, project blue print would soon have them set up the same anyway.
Exactly.... just give the Fords 6 reverse gears
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #71
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
The part that gets me is that Ford management are talking like they have a decision to make. That they actually think a FWD Falcon would sell when the mondeo doesn't and the Taurus didn't. What sort of logic or indicators they are looking at to derive at such a conclusion is beyond me.
Two major factors here - having no rwd Falcon as an alternative is a completely different scenario. Also if (and it is a big if) the cars were built here that would also influence a lot of sales.

Gee this is frustrating, I don't see how can it make sense. Just staying within Australia to start with, if they change to a fwd Falcon (assuming it is a good car & cheaper than now) I'd expect sedan sales to decrease possibly 25%. Fleets don't care so there might be some increase there due to cost saving, although things like fwd CV joints not to mention teething issues would have an impact on running costs. Private sales would have to decrease significantly (half?). Assuming the ute was dropped, ute sales would be decimated, as I'm not sure more than 1/3 of buyers would have Ford loyalty to buy a Ranger, they would be on the open market. Territory is a different case as you can successfully set up an SUV off a fwd platform given centre diff tuning.

Going outside Australia, there are 130-160,000 Mustangs sold each year in the US alone. Between that, Falcon and a premium rwd sedan in North America, Middle East and possibly other parts of the world surely we have enough volume to support a rwd platform.

The real spanner in the works is the US CAFE regulations, which increase from requiring 27.5mpg (8.5L/100) for cars and 22.7mpg (10.3L/100) for light trucks, SUVs etc (US gallons of course) currently, to 35mpg (6.7L/100) for all light vehicles in 2020. You can see how every last mpg will count when car economy is required to offset F150s and Explorers...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #72
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Two major factors here - having no rwd Falcon as an alternative is a completely different scenario. Also if (and it is a big if) the cars were built here that would also influence a lot of sales.

No I am not convinced it is. Evidence suggests all that will happen is defection from the blue oval brand will quicken especially if Holden (again) retain the platform.

Removing choice on this issue has to be across the board, not a selection of it. If that were to happen then I agree, it’s a new ball game and the consumer is again free to pick the best of a bad situation.

If we are saying that the current choice is preventing FWD from reaching their full potential then we also have to say that leaving the choice to the opposition will result in significant loss of market share in the category in question.

If we are saying that removing choice from only part of the consumer menu will result in more brand loyalty then I wouldn't like to be working for Ford Aust.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #73
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I addressed what I think will happen to sales, fleets could care less if a car is fwd vs rwd so cost will still be more of a factor, if the fwd car has favourable running costs it will still do ok. Obviously private sales is a different matter, I agree with you there - but don't forget the proportion of Falcons sold to fleets.

In the second sentence you quoted I was trying to say that some more people might have bought Taurus or Mondeo if they were locally produced - it has significant implications for parts & servicing cost and availability.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #74
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Bugger that! I just hope that the new GTHO arrives before FWD does.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #75
HSE2

Which is why I said what I did.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #76
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone think if Ford offered 0% interest Finance on Falcon they could shift them out the door?
Its fairly popular in the US with some less 'popular' models.
You can get a Ford Fusion on 0% interest for 36months.

Hell if you could get this on a Falcon id probably get one....

Actually its a minimum of 0% for 36 months, apparently you can get as much as 60 months interest free.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #77
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Once again we have to endure another attack on Ford at the expense of the AU Falcon, Steve Butler- where are you?
You AU lovers are a sensitive lot. The ORIGINAL AU Falcon styling was a huge duckup by Ford, simple as that (which was too bad because it was a huge leap ahead of the EL construction wise). If it were released with BA-ish styling I think Ford would be in the position of Holden now and the VT-VZ wouldn't of been as popular.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #78
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Anyone think if Ford offered 0% interest Finance on Falcon they could shift them out the door?
Its fairly popular in the US with some less 'popular' models.
You can get a Ford Fusion on 0% interest for 36months.

Hell if you could get this on a Falcon id probably get one....

Actually its a minimum of 0% for 36 months, apparently you can get as much as 60 months interest free.
Id get a G6ET tomorrow on that deal. But would you be allowed to mod it while on finance?

Not that a G6ET needs much modding.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #79
Bossxr8
Peter Car

FWD would just kill the Falcon overnight, it would lose most of its uniqueness.

AWD just loses FWD's advantage over RWD, its heavier, more expensive and results in higher fuel economy, so FWD for base models and AWD for upper level and performance versions basically means stuff all savings in economy or price across the range. Its pointless.

Who cares if RWD uses 0.2 litres per 100 km more in petrol, that is f all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #80
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rebodied Taurus coming?
At least give us the Four wheel drive model.
If we have to have it.

it has a horrid interior though.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #81
IDT
Marko

The refusal by Ford au to come out and give a straight out no is answer enough for me.

But then again, I'm an enthusiast and the fact that my last three cars have been new falcons means I'm irrelevant.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #82
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
What large FWD car has sold in this country while there has been a RWD competitor?
Ford aren't going to be able to covert this market. They aren't good enough to get people into Modeos or Focus FWD products let alone anything any bigger.
This is very simple. No large rear wheel drive platform in this country, don’t both competing in the segment.
Stick to the Focus and smaller products and be done with it.
Want proof. Start a poll and see who would by a FWD Falcon!

Aurion.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #83
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Firstly, get the septic tanks to make the Muzzy FWD and see how that sells over a 3 year period before stuffing with local product.

Then go visit BMW and ask why they persist with rear wheel drive.

I would never buy a front wheel drive Falcon either, I reckon the septic tanks would go mad over our Falcon such as F6, GT ETC.

If your not going to have a RWD Falcon kill it off completely and try and survive on Mondeo (FoMoCo wont be able to, cant market an ice cream on a hot day).
NGN 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #84
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN 351
Firstly, get the septic tanks to make the Muzzy FWD and see how that sells over a 3 year period before stuffing with local product.

Then go visit BMW and ask why they persist with rear wheel drive.

I would never buy a front wheel drive Falcon either, I reckon the septic tanks would go mad over our Falcon such as F6, GT ETC.

If your not going to have a RWD Falcon kill it off completely and try and survive on Mondeo (FoMoCo wont be able to, cant market an ice cream on a hot day).
Spot on

It would be a cold day in hell if I ever put a dollar toward a FWD Falcon. I'd rather drive a Crappadore.

If ever those Finance/Global/Marketing/Dipshits try and ram a FWD falcon down our throats I will NEVER EVER Buy a new FORD Product again. For a Blue Blooded Bloke like myself who has owned 9 Falcons. 1 XY, 2XBs, 2XCs, 1 EB, 1XH, 1BA, 1BF. One Lazer, and one Territory. That is it, Gloves are off.

I'll even go so far as to start Barracking for Holden Race teams!.............. No wait not that far. I'll just do something else on the weekends, Like instal a glass panel into the A piller on my new "cough" VE Crappadore "Gagg".... Tough to swallow But I'll Bloody do it, Mark my words.

FWD Falcon....... Frikkin, Knuckleheads!
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #85
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would go down as one of the worst marketing decisions in Australian history.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #86
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
Aurion.
It’s been probably the best but no it hasn't sold in volume that would classify it a success in this segment.

For Toyota, probably because it has added incremental sales in a segment they have failed at but for Ford to look at Aurion numbers and think they could better them just because it was called a Falcon, well that a stretch. If you said Aurion was at 50% of RWD Falcon sales, that is probably where you would expect a FWD Falcon to sit on average. That number wouldn’t work.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #87
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Most of you boofheads on here are missing the point all together.

THE FALCON IS NOT SELLING - Ford Australia cannot afford to invest $500 million each 7-8 years, for a car that will only sell 3000 - 3500 a month, and that's an optimistic figure. We've just had a brand new falcon go on sale, the best ever, and I love it, but the fact is that it's not selling enough to make a business case for it.

Unfortunately history does not matter, enthusiasts do not matter, the bottom line is the bottom dollar - Are we making a profit? If the answer is no, then things must change.

As much as i'm a blue blooded ford fan, love my V8's, love the turbo sixes and love the RWD, i'm also a realist.

The reality is that we will not see another home grown Falcon ever again.

Did someone mention Focus????

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #88
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey
Most of you boofheads on here are missing the point all together.

THE FALCON IS NOT SELLING - ????
? and exactly who are the boofheads ? the people that grew up and supported the RWD, and the ford label, or the marketing team, sloppy dealerships/service depts over the years, or just poor decisions made by boofheads in the first place.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #89
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Falcons have for years been the best car for towing loads short of larger and more expensive Four wheel drives. As someone who needs my daily to tow a race car around for long distances every second weekend, I would not consider buying a FWD of any sort for this reason alone. Towing a heavy load with the front wheels draggin all the weight is no fun

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #90
300C-CRD

I think Ford has got it wrong, Falcon is not the problem, it is Ford's marketing people, Falcon should have gone global, Falcon is excellent value for money compares to some German RWD cars, and yet those German RWD cars can survive in much smaller sale volume in Australia because they are selling all over the world. If Ford can spend money to convert their USA cars into RHD and sell them here, why can't they spend the money to convert Falcon into LHD and sell it all over there and Europe? Let's face the facts that Falcon handles, rides and looks much better than some of those US Ford cars. With A$ drops below US$0.70, it is also good economy sense to export Aussie cars.
300C-CRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post