Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #61
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I only said they weren't chasing it (by building a rep's special like the BF MkIII or FG XT), not that they were refusing to sell to fleets! More realistically, the Territory is probably too close to renewal to introduce a new model requiring so much development
I wish Holden had a Territory competitor, complete with an LS V8. Might make a good vehicle for the wife. Yes she loathes the wagon (like most women) but a V8 Commodore SUV would have to be better than a Kluger (her choice).
Old 15-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #62
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

You're not telling me the Adventra didn't fit the bill are you??? :
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #63
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
a V8 Commodore SUV would have to be better than a Kluger.
Great idea that, a V8 Commodore SUV might sell 150 per month

But I guess the Adventura appealed to that number of buyers per month.

As for the VE Wagon, I'm predicting fewer than 600 incremental sales per month unless they discount the crap out of them. Most will be substitute sales from existing sedan volume (re: storage capacity in the back).

VE Wagon = Adventura = Crewman :

They won't make money on this one.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #64
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
GM Holden sales and marketing manager Alan Batey said existing fleet customers are not worried about the reduced cargo space.

“We’ve had a lot of fleet customers in over the last 12 months and taken them through the car individually because obviously they need to be able to carry what they need to carry,” said Mr Batey.

“They have no issues with the car. They love the rear tailgate from an accessibility point of view and the users (user-choosers) just look at it and say they want to drive it.”

Chief designer Richard Ferlazzo said the Sportwagon still had a large amount of useable space and added that both the old Commodore wagon and the existing Ford Falcon wagon were bigger than required.

“The Falcon and Commodore wagon are the largest kind of (car-based) wagon in the world, no-one else builds them that big,” he said.

“They had their place, but they were designed in the 1990s and the world has moved on.”

Unlike the previous Commodore wagon, the Sportwagon is purely a five-seater and there is no seven-seat option. Holden says that customers requiring seven seats can opt for a Captiva SUV instead.
Sounds like Holden are quietly confident the wagon will do well for them.
Old 16-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #65
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The Holden wagon can really only appeal to families, or Holden-enthusiasts, as I cannot see tradesmen (who use wagons as their vehicle) opting for a car whose engine is inferior, whose transmission is grossly inferior, and whose boot space is relatively miniscule.

As stated, the Falcon wagon may not be the prettiest vehicle around, but for getting a job done with any frills, it's a good buy.
Well that is what they are aiming for - the tradies can have the the old Falcon Battleaxe for work but the families can go for a stylish wagon with more practicality than a sedan and yet have all the dynamics of one. Taking some sales away from the common and generic SUV's is the point of the exercise.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #66
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Can't see it taking much sales. The sort of people who are buying SUVs gave up on local cars years ago, not because of fuel prices but because of the improved handling and safety of the (at-the-time) newly invented soft-roader. People could have much more space, reasonable handling, more practicality and generally better quality. I can only see the VE Sportswagon retaining some current large car buyers who where about to head off to SUVs, plus the regular Holden mob who will buy whatever is released...
Ford would be stupid to enter this "Sportswagon" business. If Ford were to build such a car, there would be even more competition within the segment, meaning less sales for each car. Ford still makes a healthy margin with the station wagon. It's just silly to think that Holden and Ford would dare directly pitch all of their cars against each other - it's too risky, esp in these dark times...

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #67
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw one on the road today, in that really nice lime green colour. i reckon they look great! they'll make a killing on this wagon!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #68
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Well that is what they are aiming for - the tradies can have the the old Falcon Battleaxe for work but the families can go for a stylish wagon with more practicality than a sedan and yet have all the dynamics of one. Taking some sales away from the common and generic SUV's is the point of the exercise.
Well practically speaking, I don't see the VE as particularly practical as IF I had a family of my own, I would want boot space to carry luggage. The VE boot is far too small for me.

I do not believe families go for wagons much anymore anyhow. HOlden has had a very good wagon range over the years but the segment has still quietened down immensely.

SUVs are still the choice.

The media may still drool over the wagon's styling, but its engine and 4-speed dinosaur-approved gearbox will not win over the people who want a basic family wagon that moves well.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #69
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which surprises me all the more why Ford have bothered really.

Well put it this way then...

However small the wagon market is, not everbody has abandoned it.

If given the choice of a Mazda6, Falcon, VE or Subaru wagon, I'd choose the VE over the rest.

Call me dumb if you will.
Nobody can call you dumb if you have your reasons. The wagon is there for a particular niche, and you might just happen to fall into it.

The Subaru and Mazda aren't as big either.

The Falcon probably doesn't have the comfort of the VE, but it being more of a workhorse vehicle, Ford would not care.

So VE almost has its own exclusive market.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #70
lowriding
interloper

No point chasing fleets as there is no money in it anymore. I think wagons are the perfect vehicle but ,with some big buck euro exceptions,lack style .this goes to address that ,it's a good concept , and a great looking design . i think the affair with 'SUV' will fade as everyone has one ,the roads are well full of them from every manufacturer .The size will be no problem as long as the cargo area can carry a pram and shopping which it does . That won't guarantee success though only time will tell .
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #71
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Well practically speaking, I don't see the VE as particularly practical as IF I had a family of my own, I would want boot space to carry luggage. The VE boot is far too small for me.

I do not believe families go for wagons much anymore anyhow. HOlden has had a very good wagon range over the years but the segment has still quietened down immensely.

SUVs are still the choice.

The media may still drool over the wagon's styling, but its engine and 4-speed dinosaur-approved gearbox will not win over the people who want a basic family wagon that moves well.
Always quoting the lowest performer - if that worries them too much, there's the 195KW 5 speed auto.

Anyway - you make far too much on the carrying ability of these things, most of the time they have one occupant (driver obviously) it's not like they go on Holidays with the kids for 52 weeks of the year.

I think a stylish new type of Wagon may just be different enough to work for them.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #72
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

saw 6 of them on a truck heading north through where i lived, looked pretty classy
Old 18-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #73
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
When the Mondeo wagon comes on sale hear Ford will have this market well and truley covered. With the rise of fuel costs, I think either a turbo 4 cylinder diesel or Turbo 5 cylinder Petrol wagon will be a lot more appealing to the general
public than a wagon with a marginally bigger load space and a thirsty 6.0L V8.
But it looks like a hatfull of a r s e holes.
Old 18-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #74
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You can't seriously compare the VE wagon with the VZ or BF wagon? the VE is a token effort, it has no legitimate "wagon" capacity...
No fleet will look at the VE as a serious option if its used to the BF/VZ carrying capacity and flexibility... its a "hatch"..
If Holden was serious about providing a legitimate workhorse wagon the VZ would have been a cheaper safer bet to stay with, just like Ford are doing with the BF..
The only reason i can see for the VE hatch is to try to appeal to the SUV customers....
Practicality is not important when it comes to sales. I will bet my hard earned that it will comfortably outsell the Falcon wagon.
Old 18-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #75
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric GT
But it looks like a hatfull of a r s e holes.
The Mondeo wagon?

I don't think you'll find many people agree with you.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #76
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

That thing is hideous. Look at the way the headlights swoop half way up the bonnet/gaurds and the grill looks like the back of an old air conditioner. The Commodore wagon looks a million times better. Lets see what the public thinks... sales ratio of 10:1 in the Commodore's favour I'd say!
Old 18-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #77
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric GT
Practicality is not important when it comes to sales. I will bet my hard earned that it will comfortably outsell the Falcon wagon.
Pfft.. practicality is probably the number 1 reason wagons exist in the first place.. :

Old 18-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #78
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive tried many times to make myself like the look of the new Mondeo but I just cant - the front's fine but it looks like the rear end was hit by a truck.

I would buy a VE Wagon over a Mondeo.
Old 18-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #79
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Quote:
Which surprises me all the more why Ford have bothered really.
They didn't. They rehashed a exsisting wagon.

Quote:
However small the wagon market is, not everbody has abandoned it.
True but I don't think it's big enough to accomodate a impractical wagon.

Quote:
If given the choice of a Mazda6, Falcon, VE or Subaru wagon, I'd choose the VE over the rest.

Call me dumb if you will.
Not calling you dumb. It's your choice.

I just believe, with the amount Holden sunk into making a wagon partly based on a failed export program and how small the segment has become is silly.
Old 19-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #80
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Pfft.. practicality is probably the number 1 reason wagons exist in the first place.. :
Righto. Lets see which car sells the most within the next 12 months. Your practicle but horrible Falcon wagon or the much better Holden Sportswagon...:the_finge
Old 19-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #81
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with citric Gt. The falcon wagon is old hat. Its basically been the same shape since 1998.. The commodore is much more modern looking and appealing to people. I think the only people who will be buying falcon wagons will be fleet customers.. and not very many of them.

Oh, and the mondeo wagon is disgusting.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #82
TCR
Starter Motor

As much as it makes my stomach churn I must admit to thinking about the Holden "sportwagon".

I currently own a BA wagon and it's been the most practical car I've ever own but it's certainly got very little style. I want a car that has more storage space than a sedan can offer, can tow 2000kg and has some style about it. Granted the storage space in the sportwagon is smaller than the BA but it's still better than the BA/FG sedan and imo it has plenty of style.

Oh and that Mondeo wagon is hideous!

Ford, where's my frigin FG XR6 wagon. :
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #83
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR
Oh and that Mondeo wagon is hideous!
You are entitled to your opinion... but, it is wrong. The Mondeo is the Ford wagon private buyers will purchase, If it ever ends up coming here.... We can only hope.

The VE Wagon is nothing more than a gimmick, marketed well. Some may say, you could call it a Commodore Hatch as it that small, and has less usable space due to the way the tailgate opens...... And it still has those terrible 6 cylinder drive trains.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #84
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford designed and built a wagon range that looked good (AU-BF wagons, while being very practicle, look very utilitarian), I'd take the wagon variant over the sedan any day. But only if it was done based on the long wheelbase stuff WITH the CB IRS - not leaf springs!

The practicality of the wagon is huge. My old man has an EL wagon (as well as an FG F6 on order!!!) and it is brilliant!!!

If an FG XR6T Sportwagon was on Ford's sales brochure I would buy it for sure!

We can speculate and guess all we like about the Commo Sportwagon - the proof will be seen in the next 12 months worth of sales...will be very interesting.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #85
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I am a supporter of the Commy wagon especially being available in the 8.
Failure or not in the sales dept I take my hat off to them for having a go !
I really like it, lovely metallic light blue ones looks superb.
My wife not being a car person sees the ad on TV the other week, after seeing the car she looks straight at me and says I'd like one of those ! which we are due soon upgrade.....
Now if there was a FGXR6T/8 wag as someone mentions above I'm there !

I'm with you CitricGT the Commy will outsell the worn out base rubbish Ford is still selling off !!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #86
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I saw 4 of the new commy wagons on the weekend and only one of the new FG's................
Old 14-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #87
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I doubt it will sell.. the SS wagon was a fizzer.. Holden seem to take more risks with obscure models... maybe that's why they're struggling financially.
The Territory range has this model covered nicely in every aspect...
Agreed. Anyone recall the Adventra??? The Territory was outselling it at 15:1 at one stage.

Fancy releasing a wagon you can't even fit a dual pram in Knuckleheads!!!
Old 14-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #88
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

A friend at work has just found out that GMH is offering a 30% discount to employees on the Commodore's and 20% discount for the imported cars (his wife works for Holden). He will be test driving the Sportwagon today!!! And yes, he wants to buy an SS-V Sportwagon and at that price, why wouldn't you????

Last edited by Paull; 14-08-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: karnt spel 4 shyte
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #89
weenie

gee , i think i read somewhere that they sold 1000 units in the few weeks of july that it was available. I see more of these on the road than all of the fg range put together. they are on a winner, just as the terri was. they are not even in the same class. what would people rather they do?? make something nearly identical to a 4/5 year old design terri? credit where credit is due. A stock wagon that can do 13 sec quarter mile times, not bad in my book.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #90
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Agreed. Anyone recall the Adventra??? The Territory was outselling it at 15:1 at one stage.

Fancy releasing a wagon you can't even fit a dual pram in Knuckleheads!!!
Agreed that it probably wont sell but for a second-hand buyer the Holden Sportswagon is a mighty tempting proposition. Something you can sleep in the back of at parties, haul crap around AND blow off riceburners.

I say the Bf3 will outsell the Holden but the Holden will have better resale.

Could you get a V8 in a AU or BA wagon??? I saw an EF V8 Fairmont wagon the other day and there is a few SS wagons cutting around.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post