Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #61
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best Car to tow with - Under 7k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I am being serious.

Diesel is brilliant for towing long distances.

Granted I'd prefer something a bit better than what 7k can typically buy, but a good buy is out there if one is patient.

AU wagon will do the trick too, just thought I'd throw diesel in too, since it should be considered.
Agreed Diesel is brilliant for towing. Loads of torque, and generally much better fuel economy. Problem is for his budget you won’t find anything decent or comfortable.
Repairs on old diesels can be very expensive.
Wouldn’t go anywhere near a TD for that sought of money.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #62
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rather than a full van, have you considered a fold-out or camper trailer? Should reduce your drag and hence fuel consumption?
Or even a fold-out ute camper. Gives you the option of a Falcon or “japanese” ute.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #63
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
I'd seriously consider the 4wd diesel option if I was you. Not only because diesel is a "better" tow vehicle, but because the lifestyle of a 4wd is completely different. Just think of the extra tracks into the bush you can check out, or the beaches you can drive along. You will be able to see so much more of aus with a 4wd...

And all these comments about diesels being slow, yes they are. But take an extra year to go around? C'mon.... 100kmh in a petrol is the same as a 100kmh in a diesel. Who cares if it takes a little bit longer to get there! After all you are going on a trip to see australia, not to see australia go by.
I would love to be able to do more off-roading, believe me. My concerns are morso the comfort of a Diesel in my budget, and as mentioned below the repair costs do seem to be astronomical from the reading I have done..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Agreed Diesel is brilliant for towing. Loads of torque, and generally much better fuel economy. Problem is for his budget you won’t find anything decent or comfortable.
Repairs on old diesels can be very expensive.
Wouldn’t go anywhere near a TD for that sought of money.
Agreed on all counts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Rather than a full van, have you considered a fold-out or camper trailer? Should reduce your drag and hence fuel consumption?
Or even a fold-out ute camper. Gives you the option of a Falcon or “japanese” ute.
I was initially looking at a camper trailer and very nearly bought one, however being on my own I had some concerns about erecting it during strong winds etc. Also it makes it quite a hassle if I just want to stop somewhere so my boy can have a nap.. I am leaning towards a pop-top at the moment, I guess it just feels more "stable" then just having a camper trailer.. Obviously a poptop will tow a lot better due to less weight, and less height means less wind resistance..

I am going to look at a poptop tomorrow, and also have an AU wagon in my sights.. Will keep you all posted..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #64
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whatever you choose mate just take your time.....plenty of them out there and Australia is a bloody big inhospitable place for the incorrect gear

also a fantastic place for those that are prepared for it!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #65
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m a big fan of full size vans myself, really great to just pull up anywhere .....no stuffing around just open the door and have a nap or just stop for lunch in a rest area, but the antiques like mine that are 8 foot high and then they have a dirty great sunroof thing projecting another 6 inches into the clouds and almost flat fronted just kill your fuel economy,
if you buy an older camper check the fabric, when they get old some of them are far from leak proof or bug proof.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #66
Matty4
Banana

I know you kind of ruled one out earlier, but if it was just me and my son I would love to have him sitting beside me in the front of a ute.
At his age you will undoubtedly have to stop many times because he's dropped things, wants a drink/food etc.
At least with him next to you it becomes a bit more "personal" if you like because you'll be able to look at him and he'll see you better, as well as see more out the front windscreen.
Safer for you too, as you won't be having to turn around to reach things, point things out along the way.....win win..

Just my 2c

Matty
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #67
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Your bank account certainly will depreciate tho.

You won't get a diesel for under $7k, so it's a petrol 4.2l you would get, and if it's auto, expect above 20L/100km for any sort of towing.

I owned a GQ petrol and it was great, but shocking on fuel.
The 4.2 petrol motor on gas is far cheaper to run and unlike falcons there are plenty of manuals around.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #68
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Plenty of gq's around forless or around 7 just look at a few, not much goes wrong with em .even non turbo is fine , no race car but awesome at everything else .
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #69
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
I know you kind of ruled one out earlier, but if it was just me and my son I would love to have him sitting beside me in the front of a ute. At his age you will undoubtedly have to stop many times because he's dropped things, wants a drink/food etc.

At least with him next to you it becomes a bit more "personal" if you like because you'll be able to look at him and he'll see you better, as well as see more out the front windscreen.

Safer for you too, as you won't be having to turn around to reach things, point things out along the way.....win win..

Just my 2c

Matty
In agreeance I have the car seat almost perminatly in the front of my XR8 ute; my almost 2 year old daughter loves it and is quite happy to sit there and look out the windows. It's much easier to deal with her when she wants a drink, or food, we chat, listen to music etc...

In the sedan however if the DVD player isn't on, she gets the ***** really quickly. It's difficult when she drops stuff and so on.

Alot of people ask about the baby seat in the ute, and if it's safe - I often comment that I would't put her there if I didn't think it was safe!
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #70
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
patrols uneconomical in what way my dads patrol gets from brissy to penrith on just one tank and the trip is exactly 1000km and he tows a van.....
Father in laws 07 4.2TD unloaded (but fitted with all ex Telstra gear) 400km to 80L diesel on the open road. 20L/100km open road. Great offroad, bumpy old thing on road.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #71
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
In agreeance I have the car seat almost perminatly in the front of my XR8 ute; my almost 2 year old daughter loves it and is quite happy to sit there and look out the windows. It's much easier to deal with her when she wants a drink, or food, we chat, listen to music etc...

In the sedan however if the DVD player isn't on, she gets the ***** really quickly. It's difficult when she drops stuff and so on.

Alot of people ask about the baby seat in the ute, and if it's safe - I often comment that I would't put her there if I didn't think it was safe!
For those travelling around Australia with a baby seat in the front, check the state laws. I think this is illegal in WA. It would be a shame to get to WA with a baby seat in a ute and get picked up for it, miles from the next state.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #72
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no kiddies seats in the front please.....not only illegal in most states but they call it the most dangerous position in a motor vehicle

centre rear for our most precious of cargo's!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #73
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

So what, are you meant to put the kid in the tray? Not really much of a choice if you've got a single cab ute.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #74
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
no kiddies seats in the front please.....not only illegal in most states but they call it the most dangerous position in a motor vehicle

centre rear for our most precious of cargo's!
Not illigal in VIC, or QLD however the vehilce must be fitted with a mounting point for an anchor point (which the falcon ute does).

If the vehilce is fitted with an Australian Standard / ADR complaint anchor point, and seat I'd find it very difficult to imagine that it would be illegal anywhere.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #75
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Can my child sit in the front passenger seat?

Research clearly demonstrates that persons travelling in the front passenger seat of a motor vehicle are at significantly greater risk of severe injury and/or death in the event of a crash.

Under the new laws being implemented in October 2010, children under 4 years of age are not allowed to travel in the front passenger seat of a vehicle that has a back row or rows of seats.

Children aged 4 to 7 years of age can only travel in the front passenger seat of a vehicle if all rear seating positions are occupied by other children under 7 years. Children who can legally ride in the front of a motor vehicle must still be able to be correctly restrained for their age group.

Kidsafe WA does not recommend children under the age of 10-12 years sit in the front seat, especially where there is a passenger airbag fitted.

http://www.kidsafewa.com.au/childcarrestraints.html
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #76
AU Mont
Banned

^^ i thought that was common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire

take note !!!
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #77
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If needed ... and you have a passenger side airbag .... you can actually get the vehicle manufacturer to disable it for this purpose.

This was taken from another thread regarding this a while ago as well.

As most Falcon utes only have a driver's airbag ... there was the option of having a passenger side one as well ... and the new models now come standard for both driver's and passenger side airbags now as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #78
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Can my child sit in the front passenger seat?
Research clearly demonstrates that persons travelling in the front passenger seat of a motor vehicle are at significantly greater risk of severe injury and/or death in the event of a crash.
Statitcly how many of them passengers are sitting low in the seat (seat back as far on the rails as possible), buckled into a child seat, that is anchored to the vehilce and fitted with a 5 point harnes?

Sure the front seat of the ute, is unlikely to be safer than the centre rear seat in a sedan (or wagon); but I know through my own experience that alot of the injuries to myself during a heavy front (driver side) impact through hitting the drivers side window, or the A Pillars are just not possible if the child is restrained in a in a well fitted child seat.

Statistics can be used to prove or disprove anything.

If it were a lethal as the nanny state would have us believe traveling 1km over the speed limit was, it wouldn't be allowed at all.
Old 17-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #79
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Again, you were right the first time. Stick with the AU wagon, put it on gas, child seat in the middle rear. Sure it’s not as convenient as having the child in the front, or sitting on your lap, etc, but it’s safer. Since your rearvision will be useless, use it as a conversation mirror.
IF you suddenly come into some more money, go for a Patrol with the big 6 TD.
But for the money you have, an AU is streets ahead on all counts.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #80
Cam
Stroking it...

Possibly a stupid question... 2001 Escape, there is one verrry cheap in my area... 153k.. I don't have a lot of time though so urgent advice appreciated!
Old 18-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #81
AU Mont
Banned

early Tribute/Escape .......hell no !!!

weak auto plagued with issues
Old 18-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #82
Cam
Stroking it...

Great info, exactly what I was after. But just didn't have the time to research!

Will steer clear.. Thanks!
Old 18-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #83
Cam
Stroking it...

Very much struggling to find a decent Fairmont in QLD.. Or within 1200km to be honest..

Am looking at a SR, 205k, from a dealer. They have 7k on it. It looks verrry clean.. I do have a 1998 Mondeo to trade.. So if i can drive away with it for ~5k it might be a goer..
Old 18-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #84
AU Mont
Banned

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...2001-12437491?

you checked that one out?

i reckon an offer in the 5k region would get it
Old 18-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #85
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I would keep well away from anything you don't drive past several times a day. You may get a Jeep or an F series for a great price but how long will you wait for parts if something unplanned happens... and then, how much will you be out of pocket?

Stick to a Falcon, in what ever derivative you think is best. You may also wait till you buy the van, there is a big difference between 1 and 2t and you may not need a Falcon sized / powered vehicle if all you are pulling is 1 or 1.2t.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #86
Cam
Stroking it...

I have bought a van, tare is 680 and atm is 980.. I will need a wagon to keep the weight out of the van otherwise i will go well over..

It does have breakaway brakes but I am contemplating adding electric brakes as well..
Old 18-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #87
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...2001-12437491?

you checked that one out?

i reckon an offer in the 5k region would get it
Thanks for the link, but I am looking for a wagon to store stuff.. I missed out on an AUII 'mont wagon by 2 hours the other day, I was pretty gutted!

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for cars, it's slowly driving me crazy!
Old 18-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #88
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate this seems to be a good starting place.....http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars/bri...rice=__7000.00

good luck!

Old 18-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #89
Cam
Stroking it...

Thanks Dave, I have spent a lot of time on gumtree, as well as ebay, drive.com.au and trading post.

I realllly want to hold out for something with rear power windows, my boy loves having the window down, and if it means I dont have to travel with the aircon on then I am all for it! So I am really after a SIII SR / Forte, or a Fairmont. There are 1 or 2 within a reasonable distance, but from memory one guy wanted 7k for an SR with 200+ K's on it and wasn't going to budge, and the other was a clapped out AU I Fairmont which looked like it was ready to be wrecked..
Old 18-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #90
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! okay....fair enough nothing suitable!

theres a few AU Ghia's and Fairlanes in the smoke not far from here on gumtree that are reasonably priced but relatively high K's (which shouldn't be a problem if serviced correctly)

if I had my holidays due I'd be more than willing to shuffle one up for you!

but alas I have not long ago taken a week, so not due for some time!

whats your thoughts on your new van!.....happy with it?......a lot of good times on the way!