Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #61
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Default Re: LAST HULK FRIDAY 2014: is FGX the Falcosaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Not always, I think it used to represent great value for money as far as the gadget/price ratio is concerned. But they haven't kept up in that regard.

I didn't know there was a Falcon Titanium ...

As for what it's missing? I can get these features on a Mondeo Titanium but not on the G6E:

Smart key entry
Keyless start
Remote start
Automatic folding wing mirrors
Blind spot monitor
Lane keeping assistance
Active City Stop
Auto up/down all windows
Cross traffic alert
Park assist
Adaptive cruise control
Panoramic sunroof
Heated seats front and rear
10-way power adjustable front passenger seat

Given the similarity in price, I see no reason why I should buy a G6E instead of a Mondeo Titanium. I think most buyers who isn't fussed about where the car is built will feel the same.
Hmm, I'm not trying to be rude here but with all that extra tech, why would you want to drive at all these days... just hire a chauffeur and sip your drink in the back seat !

I'm sorry but a competent driver doesn't need any of that stuff to improve their driving skills, though I will admit Keyless start is a nice feature.

I really think they are trying to condition us drivers to be comfortable with the introduction of driver-less cars very soon !

No thanks, gimme power steering, aircon and my 6-stacker CD and I'm happy as you know what.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #62
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I don't even need the cd player, engine makes all the music I need.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
7 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #63
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:

It's not the 1980s anymore. Technology advances at an exponential rate. Some people don't feel the need to keep up, and that's fine, but just because you don't doesn't mean nobody else does.
My ZL has pretty much the same stuff as my BA....
Its only been the last 5 years there is everyone whining my Ford doesn't have this or that which will probably break anyway and render it useless....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
Old 20-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #64
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Perhaps, I'm pretty sure he hasn't driven one, there is too much in what he says that is not close to the real world.
Not that I need to justify myself but it was a forum members car I drove.

I can get him to sign an affidavit for you and fire it off to you after the weekend if you like.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 20-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #65
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No affidavit necessary, happy for said forum member to post here and say "my 335 gt does not spin it's wheels in 2nd, for some reason it just doesn't make the same power as any other gt and I'm ok with that."

Given a non rspec 335 has skinny tires I'd say it would be easier to spin up not harder.

Current Rides
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #66
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Hmm, I'm not trying to be rude here but with all that extra tech, why would you want to drive at all these days... just hire a chauffeur and sip your drink in the back seat !

I'm sorry but a competent driver doesn't need any of that stuff to improve their driving skills, though I will admit Keyless start is a nice feature.

I really think they are trying to condition us drivers to be comfortable with the introduction of driver-less cars very soon !

No thanks, gimme power steering, aircon and my 6-stacker CD and I'm happy as you know what.
Of the features in that list I posted, I think the only things I wouldn't have any need for is adaptive cruise and heated seats. That's it.

While I agree that a competent driver shouldn't need lane keeping assist, blind spot monitor etc, and I share your disdain for driverless cars, they are incredibly useful in preventing accidents as a result of human error, which believe it or not, happens. As long as drivers don't rely on this technology, but use it as a backup in case of a momentary lapse of concentration, I don't see a problem with that.

I'm not too proud to admit that I have had a few near misses thanks to these momentary lapses of concentration. I have nearly changed lanes into a Pajero because I forgot to check my blind spot; and I have nearly rear-ended a Patrol because I was distracted by a hot chick walking by. It happens.

There are also times when reverse sensors on my Fairmont have saved me from hitting a fire hydrant or a very high kerb, which I couldn't see in my mirror or in the back window.

Accidents happen, and if there's technology available to reduce the likelihood of having an accident, why is that a bad thing?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #67
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Accidents happen, and if there's technology available to reduce the likelihood of having an accident, why is that a bad thing?
Some people rely on it tho...
And then wonder why it didn't work....

Same as speeding is bad, stick to the limit....
Then some doosh flys past you doing 100kmh in a 100kmh zone and its absolutely bucketing down cats & dogs....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
Old 20-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #68
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not always, I think it used to represent great value for money as far as the gadget/price ratio is concerned. But they haven't kept up in that regard.

As for what it's missing? I can get these features on a Mondeo Titanium but not on the G6E:

Smart key entry
Keyless start
Remote start
Blind spot monitor
Lane keeping assistance
Active City Stop
Auto up/down all windows
Cross traffic alert
Park assist
Adaptive cruise control
Panoramic sunroof

Given the similarity in price, I see no reason why I should buy a G6E instead of a Mondeo Titanium. I think most buyers who isn't fussed about where the car is built will feel the same.
From my end, the following tech is critical/useful to me, aside from great engine, good brakes, good handling:

1. ABS for wet- critical

2. Good stereo, with capacity to play at least 1 16 bit cd- useful

3. Rear parking monitor- critical in this day and age to prevent accidental running over of little ones in driveways

4. Bluetooth for phone- driving on business- critical

5. Stability control and traction control-useful in wet, critical to be able to be turned OFF for dry fun and sometimes when the itch comes on off in the wet as well....

6. front warning collision alarm- useful for times you may be thinking about a work problem or fatigue is at play

Other than that- I can do without electric seats, warming seats, crotch massager, atomic clock to tell time in 7 different timezones, lane avoidance, cocktail mixing shaker in dashboard ...blah blah blah

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #69
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

Smart key entry
Keyless start
Remote start
Blind spot monitor
Lane keeping assistance
Active City Stop
Auto up/down all windows
Cross traffic alert
Park assist
Adaptive cruise control
Panoramic sunroof

Thanks Hulk...

I concur, if you want those features a Mondeo would be a good choice.

Personally the Automatic folding wing mirrors and possibly blind spot monitor are the only things that interest me in that list.

I'd gladly trade it all for an XR8. (As would many others given they are basically sold out)

It wasn't long ago we had legitimate things to whine about like engines that needed a tune/mechanical changes for decent power. Better handling and braking too.
We no longer require these things so look for something else.

You can please some of the people some of the time...
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #70
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
and I have nearly rear-ended a Patrol because I was distracted by a hot chick walking by. It happens.
Now that is completely understandable my friend.. happens to me aswell but I rely on my peripheral vision to save me.. so far so good

Have reverse sensors on the my XR8 and they do come in handy but I ALWAYS check visually so it's not something I will ever rely on completely and this is where drivers today cross the fine line between competency and relying on tech to save them.

I wonder if instead of offering all this new tech in their cars, the vehicle industry worked closely with the DOT and funded compulsory driver training programs, maybe then we would have better drivers and less accidents on our roads ??... but I guess it's all about selling cars in the end.......

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #71
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Asagaai -Crotch massager? Can I get one of those fitted aftermarket? I need the extra large size and can you ensure the setting is turned to 'heavy duty flog' so it matches this thread please??!?!!?!.....

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #72
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:

Smart key entry
Keyless start
Remote start
Blind spot monitor
Lane keeping assistance
Active City Stop
Auto up/down all windows
Cross traffic alert
Park assist
Adaptive cruise control
Panoramic sunroof

The truth is being told above.. See it's not just hulk being hulk... It's true

Ford think a hairy chested motor will offset the low tech car.. Well it does for xr8 / xr6t but everything else is dinosaur (Falcosaurus ) with no compensation under the hood.
Old 20-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #73
HULK_I6T
Banned

The falcon will be extinct because it didn't embrace the changing market..

A big boofy motor and bare bones is a nice concept to car enthusiasts but for the majority of the population value the tech gadgets and comfy inclusions over bragging about 0-100km times or doing a burnout. Performance doesn't sell cars like it used too.. Remember in the mid 90s the wrx looked dog ugly and no tech at all but it's storming performance made it a cult car and sold like hot cakes.. The xr8 is trying that same principle but these days performance bragging don't sell as well

Ford simply cannot grasp this with the falcon. It went from the countries top selling car to being irrelevant.

I like a big boofy motor in a billcart for the record, as many on here do but that's not the majority and not enough to sell the Falcosaurus in decent numbers. I hope that my next car is a Falcosaurus xr8
Old 20-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #74
dragons90

The commodore has all the gimmicks and its going extinct too
Old 20-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #75
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got nothing to do with gadgets or 'comfy inclusions' (whatever the **** those are)
Its got all to do with image and nothing else.

Look at the top 20 best selling cars and tell me which ones are known for their gadgets?
Corolla, I30, I20, Mazda 3, Hilux, Ranger, Triton, Camry, Rav4, Accent, Mazda 2, Lancer, Captiva etc etc

Sure some of them have feature packed top-of-the-line models, but they make up no more than around 5-10% of its sales.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #76
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Got nothing to do with gadgets or 'comfy inclusions' (whatever the **** those are)
Its got all to do with image and nothing else.

Look at the top 20 best selling cars and tell me which ones are known for their gadgets?
Corolla, I30, I20, Mazda 3, Hilux, Ranger, Triton, Camry, Rav4, Accent, Mazda 2, Lancer, Captiva etc etc

Sure some of them have feature packed top-of-the-line models, but they make up no more than around 5-10% of its sales.
Falcons biggest problem is that it isn't a hatchback or a commercial utility (that's manufactured in large numbers and exported around the world).

To keep existing it'd need to be G series and XR series built, specced and marketed as luxury/sports halo models and exported around the globe. That would keep it alive but it just wouldn't sell in big numbers (IMO)
Old 20-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #77
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
WRONG

What should have the Falcon had for the changing market?

No matter what the falcon had put in it I won't buy one, not that there is anything wrong with the falcon but it is not my style car any more, that is why Falcon & Holden sedans are dropping in sales as people want other type vehicles.
Old 20-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #78
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hulk I have enjoyed your threads, and +1 to Loudpipes who is still driving an XY in his 70's and also watching this season's biting social commentary on South Park (very impressive).

Just want to draw attention to the current take-down of oil prices - it looks like we are going back in to the Jurrassic, so press reverse on the meteor.

Just like in 1985, where the house of Saud dropped oil to US$10 a barrel, we are now mid $50's and going lower - all of a sudden, big, hairy chested fuel slurpers just got a whole lot more economical to drive. Everyone went nuts for the FWD Sigmas and 4cyl Commodores in the early 80's, remind me what the XF did to the market did later?

FWIW the new XR8 is the real deal, and in 20 years time people won't be collecting 'lane change assist'.

Last edited by Sprintey; 20-12-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 20-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #79
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:

A big boofy motor and bare bones is a nice concept to car enthusiasts but for the majority of the population value the tech gadgets and comfy inclusions over bragging about 0-100km times or doing a burnout. Performance doesn't sell cars like it used too.. Remember in the mid 90s the wrx looked dog ugly and no tech at all but it's storming performance made it a cult car and sold like hot cakes.. The xr8 is trying that same principle but these days performance bragging don't sell as well

Ford simply cannot grasp this with the falcon. It went from the countries top selling car to being irrelevant.

I like a big boofy motor in a billcart for the record, as many on here do but that's not the majority and not enough to sell the Falcosaurus in decent numbers. I hope that my next car is a Falcosaurus xr8
People vote for a car when they purchase one.

Maybe the new falcon will increase sales.

BUT at the moment falcon aint doing to well.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 20-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #80
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's ok, it'll still blast the doors off your ss regardless of some page in a magazine. The good news is only a lucky few will own them. Enjoy your view of the tail end from that position way way behind.

Current Rides
Old 20-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #81
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

99 % of car buyers dont care about power or 1/4 mile times.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 20-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #82
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Won't dispute that, it's a very true statement. The 1% that do buy a v8 and enjoy it. The ones that chose SS chose the slower car.

Edit: given the emphasis you placed on wheel spin in 3rd I can only assume you are in that 1%.

Current Rides
Old 20-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #83
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Dude, my SSV Redline is a WORK car, its a great place to be for the 1.5hrs each day I travel.

Since modified it has a nice note, nice torque and OK power. It has every thing a NICE car should be.

Then when I feel like power I take my F6 out. Totally different car. And since I havnt seen any power graphs or comments from you on power I gather your car is stock.

So you will be definitely seeing my tail lights and smelling my rubber.

Anyrate dude CHILL out. We both luv Fords

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Last edited by arronm; 20-12-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 20-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #84
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Posted two, your too lazy to read either...

I'm completely chilled, you just seem to want to push some weird brand of misinformation. I'm simply calling it where I see it.

Edit: if this is how you love things, I'd hate to see something you hate, I don't think you've made one positive post on the ford.

Current Rides

Last edited by SensationFG8; 21-12-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #85
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does turning the tyres in 4th at 100 count?
What car does this?
Old 21-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #86
HULK_I6T
Banned

Question Re: LAST HULK FRIDAY 2014: is FGX the Falcosaurus?

Its irrelevant when people on here argue that the gimmicks aren't needed....i tend to agree the gimmicks are a little useless but when new car buyers shop for cars they want more for their money. They compare how many tools are in the tool set before they buy.

so the guy up the road throwing in a set of steak knives and fluffy dice (about as relevant as some of the tech stuff) will be seen as more attractive offer than the falcosaurus that can do 0-100 in 5 seconds.

for the falcosaurus to remain competitive it must match the features offered by most cars on the market, not simply point to the hairy chested motor under the hood. It dont appeal to non car enthusiasts like park assist or blind spot assist.

why is it the commodore kicks the falcosaurus teeth in on the sales chart? The commodore dont compare performance wise.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #87
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
What car does this?
The gtf is capable of it.

Current Rides
Old 21-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #88
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
The gtf is capable of it.
Then I woke up .....on a wet road so does a VN

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 21-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #89
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Then I woke up .....on a wet road so does a VN
Dry freeway, no water necessary.

Check context of original post... Nothing to do with the capabilities of other motors simply disputing someone who thinks a Miami doesn't really make any power or torque.

Current Rides

Last edited by SensationFG8; 21-12-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 21-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #90
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Its irrelevant when people on here argue that the gimmicks aren't needed....i tend to agree the gimmicks are a little useless but when new car buyers shop for cars they want more for their money. They compare how many tools are in the tool set before they buy.

so the guy up the road throwing in a set of steak knives and fluffy dice (about as relevant as some of the tech stuff) will be seen as more attractive offer than the falcosaurus that can do 0-100 in 5 seconds.

for the falcosaurus to remain competitive it must match the features offered by most cars on the market, not simply point to the hairy chested motor under the hood. It dont appeal to non car enthusiasts like park assist or blind spot assist.

why is it the commodore kicks the falcosaurus teeth in on the sales chart? The commodore dont compare performance wise.
Hulk, you sound like a broken record....

I've said it before and will say it again... sales DO NOT always mean you have the better product, target demographic determines that.

We all know the Holden brand name has been around since 1948 and ask most Aussies today and they will relate more closely with the Holden badge than they will to the Ford and this is the main reason why the Commodore is outselling the Falcon right now...

You are right though, people want gadgets in their cars and the Commodore has gadgets but also remember, the top 3 selling cars are imported hatchbacks... what does that tell you ?

I don't know why you keep using the term "Falcosaurus"... you make it sound like Ford are still using 80's tech in their FGX.... yet you drive a Ford ??

The global trend is to always update your product every 2-3 years so people get the impression you are innovative and fresh... nothing wrong with that but what if you already have a great product that has been refined over the years?... why change when you have a good thing going ?

Here's an example...

I remember when the VF was first released and people started freaking out about the new electric handbrake and how some owners went for the power window switch and accidentally engaged the handbrake while cruising at 80kph

Sometimes change ain't so great !

Closed Thread