Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #61
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
As I mentioned earlier there is more to a dyno than just a ramp test. The car could be driven at any speed at any gear and at any measured load point to get a power reading.
\
Yeah but go load down your car at 3000rpm in 1st gear on a dyno and then tell us how that is useful for measuring well anything really, there's a reason why dyno runs are normally perform'd in 3rd gear, because in 1st gear you cant get traction on the rollers, and secondly in your 1:1 gear, you will achieve a higher kw figure,

Yet once again holding down at any speed is not tuning the engine for quickest ET, its tuning it to max rpm holding power. And in this there is a difference, none of this means it cant be done, its more up to the total setup, look at drag tag for example. But take your car to 99% of workshops with dyno's and tell them you want to do a first gear run, and see what they say.
Old 16-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #62
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Yeah but go load down your car at 3000rpm in 1st gear on a dyno and then tell us how that is useful for measuring well anything really, there's a reason why dyno runs are normally perform'd in 3rd gear, because in 1st gear you cant get traction on the rollers, and secondly in your 1:1 gear, you will achieve a higher kw figure,

Yet once again holding down at any speed is not tuning the engine for quickest ET, its tuning it to max rpm holding power. And in this there is a difference, none of this means it cant be done, its more up to the total setup, look at drag tag for example. But take your car to 99% of workshops with dyno's and tell them you want to do a first gear run, and see what they say.
you seem to be just talking about a ramp test which is just 1 use of a dyno

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 16-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #63
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

ok well you really need to get over your ramp test, im talking about holding the car down, as in at a constant 3000rpm, what you do when tuning at 3000rpm and that there would be no point in even trying to do it in first gear, because any car with any decent power will just spin the wheels on the rollers.

Also i will add that a lot of dyno's dont even do a ramp test.

I myself have full access to a dyno (Repco 300) which i have used a lot of times, i have been responsible for modifications and repairs to the unit, I modified the unit to have a ramp test. and now we run a datamite on it for logging. Im pretty sure i know what a dyno is and isn't capable of.

Last edited by 5.0 ED; 16-04-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 16-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #64
HLC
Audi S3

this thread is way off topic now so its time to can it.

BUT, i think everyone has missed the point arguing somewhere about differnt dyno's making different numbers blah blah.

the original comment was made to say

"why dont you put your car on a dyno to see where power starts dropping off, and set your rev limiter appropriately"

NOWHERE did anyone mention anything about peak power or what it makes, in the purpose of that excercise, the number is irrelevant. plain and simple.

anyway just thought i'd get that one in there. lol.