Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #61
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

My wife (she lived in Burnie for 9 years) and I have talked about moving over for a while now. We bought some acreage in Mengha (just south of Stanley) almost 2 years ago sight unseen, and we are going to take two weeks off soon and come over for a look.

I have been over a few times and just loved it, as soon as our house here is finished, and I can extricate myself from the family business, I will be over like a shot, build a house in the bush and rear some kids there. A 40 minute trip to Burnie once a week for shopping is a small price to pay to live in such a clean, friendly and safe place.

Maybe I can set up a Ford tuning workshop in Burnie? :

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #62
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other thing I love about Tassie - no termites. Unless of course there's a new species thats set up shop over there like all the other feral introduced species like foxes. Real shame so many endemic Tassie species may end up wiped out soon enough :(
Old 13-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #63
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600

Daniel
i would travel the 4 hours it takes to get a couple of custom tunes done! Consider me first client on day 1
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #64
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Daniel
Second client!
Old 13-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #65
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

^^^^^^^Hey you two, supersprint this Sunday at Baskerville if you're keen^^^^^^

I've just got to talk the 'boss' around - she's imposed a "no GT on the track" ban on me :

Oh, and I'm the 3rd 'local' that would drive North if CAT600 opened a 'shop. : No one in Tassie has the experience to tune these late model fords properly...............

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #66
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1B
I would move just for the Scallop pies alone!!!
...and the HUGE potato chips at Stanley : . We asked for $3 worth for the three of us when we were there in December (our 4th trip in 3 years) and we had to throw nearly half of them away LOL. There was so many, even the seagulls flew away after a while .

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #67
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidalchimes
This is by no means a weird thing to mention. Like broken_suave said, I dont think I've had a drink of tap water since I moved to Brisbane. Before I was living in a country town living off rainwater. So nice water is very, VERY important to me. Ha!
Don't drink the water in Queenstown...it's BROWN. My daughter wouldn't wash her hair there, she waited until the next stopover HAHA.

Old 13-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #68
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, our 4 star motel pumped its water from the river running out the back, yuk!
Old 13-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #69
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

went to salamaca, didn't get into irish murphy's because we had a victorian license, and that me and my miss's plays AFL and all, sigh

so we went to halo, quiet and a little boring, went to richmond, great and small place to visit, otago bay, lovely houses, hummm, i thouht hobart was pretty good, i can see why when tasmanians say there's nothing to do, but it is very laid back*

* - salamaca attracts a lot of tossers, drunk drivers and their drunk passengers, calling out names and trying to start . and nearly running us down as we walked across the road

but i enjoyed my 2 days there, great weather but the sun has a bit of a sting to it, met most of my gf's family and friends
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #70
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
went to salamaca, didn't get into irish murphy's because we had a victorian license, and that me and my miss's plays AFL and all, sigh

so we went to halo, quiet and a little boring, went to richmond, great and small place to visit, otago bay, lovely houses, hummm, i thouht hobart was pretty good, i can see why when tasmanians say there's nothing to do, but it is very laid back*

* - salamaca attracts a lot of tossers, drunk drivers and their drunk passengers, calling out names and trying to start . and nearly running us down as we walked across the road

but i enjoyed my 2 days there, great weather but the sun has a bit of a sting to it, met most of my gf's family and friends
I've been down in hobart for the last four years for uni (made the HUGE move from launceston) and can empathise with your views on salamanca. Its fine in daylight during the week, pretty nice place to be on a warm saturday's day when the market is on, but at night the wharf area and salamanca gets bogan, I've lost count of the number of times ppl have just wanted to start something. But all in all Hobart is a fantastic place to live, especially if you have an awesome view of the water (attached pic of what i wake up to everyday...)

It also has awesome roads to go for a blast on when you just need to, otherday did a trip out to port arthur and back to clear my head...

However, there is no nice way to put it... if you hate bogans, dont move here

tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #71
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm really surprised that no one has recommended a good surgeon to attach the second head! :
Old 13-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #72
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Quote:
My wife (she lived in Burnie for 9 years) and I have talked about moving over for a while now. We bought some acreage in Mengha (just south of Stanley) almost 2 years ago sight unseen, and we are going to take two weeks off soon and come over for a look.

I have been over a few times and just loved it, as soon as our house here is finished, and I can extricate myself from the family business, I will be over like a shot, build a house in the bush and rear some kids there. A 40 minute trip to Burnie once a week for shopping is a small price to pay to live in such a clean, friendly and safe place.

Daniel
Oh, please fell free to set up a tuning workshop in Burnie, I live 40 minutes from Burnie at a little beachside town called Sisters Beach.(Not too far from Stanley)
Tassie is a good place to live, have lived here for all but 4 years of my life, I would have to say its an excellent place to grow up, except from the ages 12 to at least 18, reason being that if you don't live in the Capital city there really isn't that much to do.
Having only just turned 18 it is a lot easier to get out and do things.
As has been said before the water, air and produce is all fresh and top quality(Especially the seafood).
I am in an apprenticeship at the moment and found it quite easy to get into, but you do have to really get into it if you want to make it in your industry.

Overall I think Tassie is a great place to live, and the more Ford fans the merrier(too many Holdens for my liking)

Hope you have a fun holiday over here.
Cheers.

Todd.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #73
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6RUS
Oh, please fell free to set up a tuning workshop in Burnie, I live 40 minutes from Burnie at a little beachside town called Sisters Beach.(Not too far from Stanley)
Tassie is a good place to live, have lived here for all but 4 years of my life, I would have to say its an excellent place to grow up, except from the ages 12 to at least 18, reason being that if you don't live in the Capital city there really isn't that much to do.
Having only just turned 18 it is a lot easier to get out and do things.
As has been said before the water, air and produce is all fresh and top quality(Especially the seafood).
I am in an apprenticeship at the moment and found it quite easy to get into, but you do have to really get into it if you want to make it in your industry.

Overall I think Tassie is a great place to live, and the more Ford fans the merrier(too many Holdens for my liking)

Hope you have a fun holiday over here.
Cheers.

Todd.
Nothing for 12 - 18 yr olds to do is more reason to raise a family there. Kids these days have more than any other generation but still make this claim and are more violent, drugs, underage sex etc... Make the move. If I could get my son permanently I would make the move tomorrow and raise him there and not on the Gold Coast. Sounds like my cup of tea for sure. Do your shopping during the day.. jeeeze. Then everyone else gets to be home too. The idea of 24 hr everything is crazy, no sense of community or family anymore hence some of societies problems. A bush block with a simple house a big shed for the fords and no dramas...sounds pretty good to me.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #74
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
Yep, our 4 star motel pumped its water from the river running out the back, yuk!
Ahhh, that sounds like the Goldrush (?) Motor Inn where we stayed...

Old 14-10-2008, 02:31 AM   #75
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Ok, I was serious about moving to Tassie all the way up to (but not including) opening the workshop.

However, in light of the interest generated in 24 hours, maybe i'll think about it :

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #76
ABoringUsername

Tassie is a good place to live, it is pretty laid back and doesn't take too long to get from one place to the next. Depending on what area you work in it can be hard to find work though because there may be few companies in the area.
ABoringUsername is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #77
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Quote:
Ok, I was serious about moving to Tassie all the way up to (but not including) opening the workshop.

However, in light of the interest generated in 24 hours, maybe i'll think about it :

Daniel
You may not have been serious but i think deep down you want too ,
I can see a lot of people interested in this, could be a productive business venture......
Old 16-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #78
B-1B
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice spot, we ate several scallop pies in the carpark at the right of the park.

Why are antagonist posts from members with high post counts so common now?
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #79
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CAT600- If you set up shop in Tassie, and have any AU Tuning ability, that'd be reason enough for me to make the move.

From what I've heard, I'm not going to be able to get much work done on my AU without heading over to Melbourne.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #80
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220XR8
2 Spirits, are all there is.
Don't forget the 'Mirambeena' from Kettering to Bruny Island.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #81
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Another thing to consider is that with the $21,000 first home owner grant you could build a house even if you don't have a deposit and get out of the rental spiral.
Old 19-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #82
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cant use the first home owners grant as a deposit, so we wouldnt be able to get a loan. But as most lenders are only asking 5-7% for the deposit at the moment, it shouldnt be too hard to get a small deposit going.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

Old 19-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #83
suicidalchimes
Starter Motor

Another animal oriented question, can I have ferrets down there?
suicidalchimes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #84
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Another animal oriented question, can I have ferrets down there?
Yup!, few people i know have had them!
Old 19-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #85
suicidalchimes
Starter Motor

Oh that excites me SO MUCH!! Hahaha.
I've ALWAYS wanted a ferret <3
We managed to dig up info on Bunnies but not ferrets. I really want a bunny too.
Old 19-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #86
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Oh that excites me SO MUCH!! Hahaha.
I've ALWAYS wanted a ferret <3
We managed to dig up info on Bunnies but not ferrets. I really want a bunny too.
We stayed at a place that has cabins at St Helens last time we were down and you had to step over the "Bunnies", they were everywhere!!!!

Old 19-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #87
suicidalchimes
Starter Motor

Hahaha, I love em. Adorable little flufferbums :P
Old 20-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #88
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go...

:P

Previously:

Old 20-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #89
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
Here we go...

:P
...and there were little rock wallabies as well...awwww shucks LOL

Old 21-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #90
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
You cant use the first home owners grant as a deposit, so we wouldnt be able to get a loan. But as most lenders are only asking 5-7% for the deposit at the moment, it shouldnt be too hard to get a small deposit going.
You can use the grant for deposit with one of the major banks with no additional costs in fees or interest rates. Not all banks are the same.