Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #61
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Accident warning for all.

Truckies by law (in Hr and above i think) need to display 3 triangles when broken down. We had to do this as part of our licence and then change a tyre.
Trouble is I think those triangles are simply too small to be notice by the average motorist in daylight. And trucks driving past will blow them over if you dont have sandbags!

In the USA in the 70s they used to use crossed fluro flags on road works signs.... maybe a combo of both?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #62
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
What a load of crap if you can not move in your seat around a track through bends and heavy braking you must drive those tracks like miss daisy is in the back.
Think about a motoGP bike, they brake as hard as possibly as late as possible and they dont have a seat belts connecting them to the bike.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #63
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Truckies by law (in Hr and above i think) need to display 3 triangles when broken down. We had to do this as part of our licence and then change a tyre.
Trouble is I think those triangles are simply too small to be notice by the average motorist in daylight. And trucks driving past will blow them over if you dont have sandbags!

In the USA in the 70s they used to use crossed fluro flags on road works signs.... maybe a combo of both?
Under pre 1999 NSW legislation, this state required vehicles and vehicle 'combinations' (also read this as carvans and cars) over 4 tonnes GVM to carry a set of three warning triangles. The development of the Australian Road Rules reduced that requirement to vehicles and combinations exceeding 12 tonnes GVM (so fewer triangles = less understanding of them by Mr & Mrs public, hence my education efforts to correct this in the driver handbooks).

A recent fatal involving a stopped heavy vehicle on a downward left sweeper/curve on the Hume that was impacted by other heavy vehicle/s in NSW highlights 'placement' instruction given at ARR needs to be improved/modernised - to stipulate placement greater than 150 metres, out to 200 metres - (steps). Insufficient warning was part of this problem. I had suggested low quality specification triangles used, though legal, was another.

The typical Aussie 'set of three' compliant to AS3790 are US DOT compliant, DOT being the source for our AS3790 (which btw accepts UNECE 27R triangles as an alternative), but that standard was created Stateside back in the days of the double nickle (55Mph/88km/h maximum national speed-limit), so its perfomance minimums fall short of the Euro/UN "UNECE 27R" type triangles;- insofar reflex reflector performance and sizing, and with its inner triangle sizing = 'narrow-insufficient'. Stability against wind buffetting is also less with the US DOT/AS2790 type, BUT the US/AS3790 type triangles are two-faced, whereas the UNECE 27R type are single faced.

I don't see the need for two sided triangles for car/4WD/van categories myself, but for fallen loads on two-laned roads re the heavy vehicles - they would be of benefit, que?! That said, high-speed Europe seems to survive with a single faced triangle requirement under UNECE 27R.

Part of the answer re Specification, will be for the Yanks to improve the DOT triangle spec to UNECE 27R level. Harmonisation should see that occure.

Should make a point, I am seeking "legally required minimum specification", so that XX car market buyers will have this 'standard' triangle (and 2 x safety vests), but as owner - you are then free, within reason, to improve on that standard by purchasing additional triangle/s to use, - that might bear for example strong, RED LED's with the specifications mandatory red reflector and inner fluroescent triangle also present (should batteries fail or die), and be stable by way of UNECE's "spidery legs" triangles.

I know NSW was working on ARR amendments re placement of warning triangles, I'll see where we are at.

RTA responded re my vests in cars advocacy; - they want me to first open discussion with Workcover. Time, need time.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 14-06-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
All new Volvo Trucks come with 3 Keepleft approved triangles.

I can assure that they don't blow over
Old 14-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #65
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Good to see it only took GMH 13 years to catch up with Mercedes (post 50)
I think it's more the fact that Aussie cars don't (didn't) need them by law. Many European countries have this in legislation (requirement to carry triangles and vests).

2 months ago I was driven by a family friend from the Czech Republic to Austria. Prior to departure he went to the garage and threw in 5 green fluro vests because in Austria all drivers need them in the car.

BMW / Merc / Audi etc etc have them here because it probably costs more money to remove them then to just leave them there.

I think the triangles and vests are a great idea... for a small cost if it even saves 1 life it is worth it. If that life happens to be yours or a friends even better.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #66
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think it's more the fact that Aussie cars don't (didn't) need them by law. Many European countries have this in legislation (requirement to carry triangles and vests).
Oh definitely, in fact I'd say if it wasn't law that seat belts had to be fitted most manufacturers would have them as an option!
Old 14-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #67
KITBAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
we were in the philippines recently where seat belts are none existent in the back seat. our taxi
I have been in the Philippines now for 2 months (12 Day to go)
I have seen a lot of safety breaches here.
Just an example.
Motorbike riders protecting their right arm with their helmet (on elbow)
Trucks with 10 to 20 people riding in back.
Trucks with people holding down equipment
Vans and cars over loaded with people.

It is their way of life here.
I believe gtxb67 and Fled74 have seen plenty more of these.
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #68
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
I believe it's a case of not being able to save stupid people from themselves.
Lets face facts, most laws are put into place to try and save these people from themselves but maybe it's just the way we naturaly cull those that aren't needed, it's no wonder society is getting dumber...
i think you're right