Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #61
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: And the V8 dilemma begins... Buying new with limited options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6
If what i say is sacrilegious to some then simply dont post and ignore the thread. Hard i know, but the old saying of "if you dont have nothing nice to say" sort of rings true here.

Is it so hard to accept that not every rwkw or 10th of a second counts to some people that want a v8?
Start a discussion thread in hte pub and you will receive both good and bad points so you have to live with all the responses.

It is more a fact that many are scratching there heads trying to comprehend exactly what you want ..... I see it as loving Ferraris but cant undertand why they cant make one thats slow, cheap and competitive to the also rans but still has the sound of the originals. If its just a matter of a V8 N/A because of the sound but not fast and cheap to match the SS??? It aint going to happen. To make it for the 12 who want one ..... and then will probably not buy it when push comes to shove, because the I6T still wins the 'At the lights' race with less MPG and again the forums will be aswash with WHY do the 6's still beat the 8's arguments.

The way things are now ..... either buy one of those really fast (what everyone cried out for) Supercharged V8's ....... or a cheaper SS. OH the options. As said above by others, love the Fords, buy one, want a slow V8 (in comparison) buy the SS

...... the market for the XR8 deteriorated to the point where the Falcon now only comes in the option of:

4EcoBoost. XT, G6, G6E
6N/A, XT, XR6, G6, G6E AND all the EcoLPI options.
6T, XR6, G6ET, F6, F6E
V8 Supercharged ..... GS, GT, GT-P, GT-E

Just to remind some on the options available for what is really ONE model only. Throw the utes in and bloody hell, who is now spoilt for choice.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #62
madmatty
dipstick

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...cr=66&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965879 4294967229 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5

just get something like this
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #63
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
BarraFG, it seems to me that if you really have a liking for the Boss FG XR8,
then take some time to find a used one that fits the bill. If down the track it
needs some work, then fix it and make it great, make it your own! I reckon a
well maintained V8 should give 100's of thousands of km and great motoring in
it's lifetime.....

As you know, an 09 FG XR8, manual with 60Kkm on it could be had for $28K....
Way cheaper than a brand new SS !

Forget what is allegedly sensible or the best value for money ! Buy the car you
really want is my advice !

All the best with your research and ultimate choice for the 8 banger !
Yeah i think your right dude. The more i think about it the more im coming back to the FG XR8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Start a discussion thread in hte pub and you will receive both good and bad points so you have to live with all the responses.

It is more a fact that many are scratching there heads trying to comprehend exactly what you want ..... I see it as loving Ferraris but cant undertand why they cant make one thats slow, cheap and competitive to the also rans but still has the sound of the originals. If its just a matter of a V8 N/A because of the sound but not fast and cheap to match the SS??? It aint going to happen. To make it for the 12 who want one ..... and then will probably not buy it when push comes to shove, because the I6T still wins the 'At the lights' race with less MPG and again the forums will be aswash with WHY do the 6's still beat the 8's arguments.

The way things are now ..... either buy one of those really fast (what everyone cried out for) Supercharged V8's ....... or a cheaper SS. OH the options. As said above by others, love the Fords, buy one, want a slow V8 (in comparison) buy the SS

...... the market for the XR8 deteriorated to the point where the Falcon now only comes in the option of:

4EcoBoost. XT, G6, G6E
6N/A, XT, XR6, G6, G6E AND all the EcoLPI options.
6T, XR6, G6ET, F6, F6E
V8 Supercharged ..... GS, GT, GT-P, GT-E

Just to remind some on the options available for what is really ONE model only. Throw the utes in and bloody hell, who is now spoilt for choice.
Oh trust me, i curse myself everyday for not buying the 8 when i had the chance, but things are always better in hindsight.

But il give it one more go to try and explain what backwards logic is currently going on in my head as il admit it probably dosnt make sense to alot of people but here goes:

When i took an SS and GS for a test drive back to back, in my mind they are almost night and day different. SS isnt exactly doing it for me as im not a red coat but the GS just dosnt really make me want to spend the extra cash on it.

So im looking at upgrading and new car warranty is important to me given the amount of problems iv had with my FG. This is the main barrier to me looking at an older FG XR8. But regardless of all the problems i still love my Fords from way back when my dad used to take me out on the weekends and fang his XF

I loved the 6t in manual but the mrs was really shocking with it. Whilst she has her own little hyundai shoebox that she loves, she will need to drive my car from time to time and the 6t is a big hand full for her in the manual. For the price and what it comes with it is not a bad car, but my mrs just cant predict the torque curve and is now scared sh*tless of it. Maybe she could learn to live with it, but considering a lawnmower has too much power for her i really really doubt it and its still missing 2 cylinders.

The original plan was to buy my xr6 at the end of the lease and drop 5-6k into the engine to have a car that was around 200-220 rwkw. Not ground breaking but defiantly enough for some fun and daily driving. But issues with reliability and durability came to mind for a few people that have gone down this path and the mrs is right on one thing. It will never be or sound like an 8 and iv always loved the 5.4 note and growl when it comes on song, regardless of how slow people make it out to be (which its not). So rather than spend the cash, she makes a good argument to just by the 8 and not regret it again (hate admitting when she is right).

Yeah the 5.4 had a torque hole down low (if you call it that). What i liked about it is that i could leave the engine in the low rpms and drive it like a normal car (if you call a bi family v8 sedan normal..) untill i planted my foot and then got all that power that i wanted once it started to stretch its legs and it sounded bute doing so!
No it wont be the fastest thing on the road but i really couldnt care less about beating anything with 4 wheels of the lights. I'd have a bike for that.

The GS is different in that most of that power is available from around what, 2000 revs? Very different indeed and i dont need all the power the GS makes at such low rpms for everyday driving. Yeah driver attitude comes into it and knowing when and when not to plant the throttle. So automatically i should just spend 50 odd k on a car and be careful how i use the throttle? Id so much rather an N/A that allows me to stretch its legs out a bit before having to back of the throttle.

What drew me to the SS was the price and how the engine performs similar to the 5.4 with probably a little more bottom end punch but not as much of a top end scream. It is also still available new with warranty and honestly did not drive that bad which makes me question why Ford didnt do something similar.

Surley someone with a 5.4 could understand the argument im trying to make or is everyone but me in love with the GS?

Im happy for this thread to be closed if people start calling blue murder that i actually liked the old boss over the new GS simply for what could possibly be argued as is worst trait.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #64
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

one thing if you went for the GS is your paying to employ an aussie to build an engine where holden buy them in boxes already built in the USA (as far as i can gather,if im wrong,someone will correct me )
Old 15-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #65
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are looking for the sound of a V8 I would not bother with a VE SS. Unless your willing to mod it.

My brother has a VE SS and even when he takes off, it sounds like a 6. His car is all stock.

Sit it next to my BA GT with the stock exhaust, all you can hear is my car.

Even when I pushed the pedal to the ground in the VE SS. it was real quiet.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #66
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...cr=66&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965879 4294967229 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5

just get something like this
Consider a BF GT, but the FG just feels better to drive and feels like a more modern car from the moment you sit in it.
2013 Focus ST - sold.

Quote:
Old 15-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #67
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
If you are looking for the sound of a V8 I would not bother with a VE SS. Unless your willing to mod it.

My brother has a VE SS and even when he takes off, it sounds like a 6. His car is all stock.

Sit it next to my BA GT with the stock exhaust, all you can hear is my car.

Even when I pushed the pedal to the ground in the VE SS. it was real quiet.

Yeah they do sound flat with a stock exhaust but its not something that cant be fixed.
But your right by comparison that the 5.4 on song sounds bloody terrific! when ever i see one in traffic i always turn down the music and open the window just in case the driver gives it a quirt
2013 Focus ST - sold.

Quote:
Old 15-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #68
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Don't take it all too hard mate. You did come onto AFF seeking in part validation to buy an SS. That was always going to end in tears.

I get and that you don't care if your car is the fastest. I am the same I wouldn't have bought a T6 over a 5.4 despite the T6's performance advantage. Reason being the V8 will make you smile at 1/4 throttle or even idle, whereas the T6 needs to be on boost.

The answer to your question is an FG 5.4 of some sort. I think hunt around for an FPV GS or GT in the $40k mark that suits your budget or even stretch it a little and keep it. That will turn out to cheaper motoring in the long run. The fact that you're on here say your interesed in cars so having a car that is a bit special is a good thing. Almost all new cars are nice. The measure of a good car is one that makes you smile when it's 5 years old. A 5.4 GT will do that. There should be a bunch coming off 3 year leases round about now.

With regards to engine note, GM LS engines use a different firing order to the 5.4 which uses the traditional one that produces the old school v8 beat which we all love. To get this out of a VE you will need to drop a couple of grand on a nice exhaust. But when that's done they do sound ok.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #69
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE
VL turbo anyone? still one of the most sort after commodores around
Not many left ,as with all turbo s longevity is not there strong point
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #70
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...0.5&sort=Price

Love the guy at the top. "Genuine buyers" and "no test drives".

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #71
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Not many left ,as with all turbo s longevity is not there strong point
As opposed to the hundreds of thousands of pristine N/A XF Falcons getting about?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post