Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #61
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Funny you mentioned the cadbury Gorilla ad, i was speaking with one of their advertising people today about that very ad, Cadbury did not see one iota of difference in sales from the ad, but Phil Collins record sales spiked....
Nor would they expect a brand name building ad to immediately relate to increased sales.

Exactly my point.

but there is a change in brand recognition, and 'goodwill'.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Rightly or wrongly Ford has obviously decided that they put more than enough money into V8SC....advertising on top of that is not needed even if you do win Bathurst 3 years in a row.

The decision by Ford to cut back funding next year to v8s illustrates the simple fact that they believe that you simply don't sell cars (falcons obviously) based on V8 supercars. Given the pretty damn good job Ford has done in recent times (particularly bathurst) it is clear they are right...Falcon sales haven't been helped.

Most of the public don't know jack about motorsport anyway, the only benefit of motor racing in terms of advertising is brand awareness. If you are out there with your car and winning stuff people might take notice and consider your brand for their next purchase. Bathurst is one of the few motor races the average non V8 follower still notices, mostly because its on all day and you can hardly miss it with media reporting. A simple 'Ford has won bathurst today for the third straight year.....the falcon of Craig lowndes and Jamie Whincup dominated......with arch rival holden having a shocker...' on the nightly news is more than enough brand awareness thanks.

Finally, the australian market has continued to mature and Ford is trying to reposition itself within that market. The euro influence is strong in australia, with the jap brands also dominating. The 'bogan' association of V8 supercars is not what Ford wants right now - a diesel mondeo is more acceptable at the moment than a V8 falcon - sad but true. Ford will keep pumping cash into V8 supercars to build the brand - its alot of logos running around a race track every second weekend on TV, but that is it. Forget this whole race on sunday sell on monday mantra...hasn't been the case for years. Its not because a diesel Mondeo is not relevant to winning bathurst (they're both fords after all) its because the mondeo buyer COULDN"T GIVE A TOSS ABOUT BATHURST/V8SUPERCARS!!!!
Pretty much sums it up, "the times, they are a changing"!
Old 16-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #63
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Try this..... http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...agename=DFY/AU
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #64
Starter Motor

The general car buying public does not know the difference between a road car and a race car. So Ford should advertise their win and have some passion in their ads. Last year Holden advertise that they only just missed out on winning Bathurst by 3.1 secs not that they came 4th. Come on Ford take the fight up to the others, Holden and Toyota spend double what Ford do on ads and it shows in their sales.
70773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #65
red_hotxr6
Banned

Why would they have to, why do they have to follow Holden...FORD leads..not follows...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #66
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
FORD leads..not follows...
There's a whole new thread on it's own.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #67
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Why would they have to, why do they have to follow Holden...FORD leads..not follows...
true - you don't have to gloat when it is expected
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #68
eb706674

Don't get me wrong, I love the Supercars, but I would love to see Bathurst turn back into a (close to) production car race again eg, WRC, ATCC. If Holden wins over 1000Km in a moderately modified production car then it is the better model on the day and vice versa. When people buy the winning model they can then believe it is the better choice. (not me I'd still buy a Falcon). We couldn't possibly buy anything close to what we cheer for at the track no matter how much money we had and even if we could, we couldn't drive it.
I reckon if V8 Supercars keeps distancing itself from the production line vehicles and keeps axing circuits for more profitable street races it will eventually self destruct.

I wish I had the money and the influence to get people / team owners / influencial drivers to seriously think about a REAL production series to take the fight to the Supercars. But I don't...

Anyhow, I like racing so V8 Supercars will do for now.
eb706674 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #69
GTP-814
love the quad cams

The other side to consider is that 450 staff are to be retrenched, so I rather see the advertising dollars spent on keeping some staff instead.
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #70
eb706674

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-814
The other side to consider is that 450 staff are to be retrenched, so I rather see the advertising dollars spent on keeping some staff instead.
Thats true.
Old 16-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #71
red_hotxr6
Banned

What if we kept the v8 supercars, but had an I6 or/and a v6 production race as well maybe on another day but using mostly the same drivers, ie the same ones for ford and holden, toyota, nissan, mitsubishi etc use other drivers, employment, revenue, more spectators and people can see THEIR car on the road, well something very close to it... :
Old 16-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #72
eb706674

Yeah, maybe even have classes again, but which are decided by the price of the vehicle...?

The main thing is that it is still a 1000Km enduro.

Sorry if I sent the thread off track.
Old 16-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #73
red_hotxr6
Banned

Well not every one drives an 8 or 6 or 4, so i think it would be great to see the 6 cyls mixing it up or the 4,s maybe drop the laps down as they would not be able to do 2mins 7 secs and 9/100ths of a sec around there, but if there "heroes" were in there mixing it up, well i think it would be a win win situation all round...
Old 16-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #74
eb706674

Even a factory V8 wouldn't get close to 2:07:00 but I would like to know if a holdens all alloy 6.2 L would eventually melt itself after hours of punishment or if the 5.4L boss engine is up to the task... or can the conrods of an F6 Typhoon take the punishment of forced induction for 1000km... or is anything Nissan or BMW can make for $55,000 worth a plug of duck sh/t...?

At least if I wanted to buy a car for X amount of dollars I could watch the race for some sort of indication of performance and durability.
Old 17-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #75
red_hotxr6
Banned

Thats what i meant, because they cant come even that close to those times, they might want to just do a 3hr stint at the mount.Actually they could probably do this on the saturday before...
Old 17-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #76
Sprint347
Tickford

the ford vs holden thing seems to be dying off dramatically...

the holden fans aren't winning every round like they used to and are losing interest
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #77
red_hotxr6
Banned

Oh the poor babies, are the poor didumms crying..boohooo..
Old 17-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #78
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And so, the bandwagon loses its wheels...

Ford isn't smart enough to make the most of the Bathurst victory...many people would not even be aware...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #79
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
And so, the bandwagon loses its wheels...

Ford isn't smart enough to make the most of the Bathurst victory...many people would not even be aware...
Haven't you just described a money pit? Inform those that didn't care enough to google the winner of Bathurst by spending millions of dollars telling them something they didn't care about during an add break?

Given the current economic and business climate at Ford, what part of that is smart?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #80
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

The single reason why Ford didn't do ANY advertising after the Bathurst success last weekend - They have absolutely no money to do so. The Ford Racing budget is so ridiculously tight, that there was absolutely nothing left to do anything.

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #81
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

AFAIK the winning team is not factory backed anymore arent they? If they arent then Ford have absolutely no right imho to use the win as something to brag about because in reality they had nothing to do with the win apart from the winning team using the ford chassis. Its not Fords win its 888's win.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #82
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Yes that may be correct, but Ford did TeamVodaphone a favour.... Three types of posters were handed out underneath the podium. One was to celebrate the FORD victory, another was TeamVodaphone wins Bathurst, and the third was showing the triple win by TeamVodaphone.....
Ford paid for printing, but didn't have to do it....But they did. TeamVodaphone didn't know anything of it, until they saw the posters.....And were very appreciative........

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #83
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
AFAIK the winning team is not factory backed anymore arent they? If they arent then Ford have absolutely no right imho to use the win as something to brag about because in reality they had nothing to do with the win apart from the winning team using the ford chassis. Its not Fords win its 888's win.
That applies from next year, this season they are still Ford sponsored, its from the start of the 09 season that they won't be directly paying sponsorship money to them, but they will still be provided parts and panels as well as technical support, just not direct sponsorship cash.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #84
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
That applies from next year, this season they are still Ford sponsored, its from the start of the 09 season that they won't be directly paying sponsorship money to them, but they will still be provided parts and panels as well as technical support, just not direct sponsorship cash.
I always wonder how much technical support you can recieve on a car body that is heavily modified anyway? Nothing else is from the ford factory. Even the guards are heavily flared to fit the race rubber under them.
Old 19-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I always wonder how much technical support you can recieve on a car body that is heavily modified anyway? Nothing else is from the ford factory. Even the guards are heavily flared to fit the race rubber under them.
Door skins, bootlids, roof panels, bonnets, grilles, taillights, headlights, mirrors etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #86
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
The front guards are kevlar composite, not steel, the rear door skins are as well. I believe other panels are being converted to composites too.

Old 20-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #87
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Did you know Ford won Bathurst?

Of course YOU did because you're a member of AFF but if I hadn't actually watched it and saw the news that night you'd never know.

Now if Holden had one there'd be ads in all the media (print & TV),

HOLDEN NUMBER 1 AT BATHURST.

Haven't seen a single thing, at least not here in Perth.

No wonder their sales are down and they're having to lay off workers.

In the words of Derryn Hinch "Shame Ford,shame".
Old 20-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #88
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be a waste anyhow, Racing doesn't sell cars anymore.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #89
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

If you go to the Ford website, it’s the first thing you see. Remember we live in a multi media world and lots of people will see it there. Print and TV are old media to some degree.

Last edited by Mark^^; 20-10-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #90
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it would be risky spending extra cash on advertising that may not produce sales .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post