Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #61
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLY6
I reckon it looks shocking! The VT really *was* the best of a bad bunch.

That Bad bunch has been australias favourite family car for the last 8 years or so, so that bad bunch couldnt have been that bad mate!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #62
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The original Mustang was Falcon based, then the XR-XY Falcons were more Mustang based. XA on are unique to Australia, based on.. themselves, from what I understand.
Correct. The Falcon was originally designed for Canada (XK Falcon) if i remember correctly, and Australia was to get a completely re-vamped Zephyr although Ford Australia rejected it and went for the Falcon (Plan B). And not long after the Mustang was created based on the Falcon and using many components in the Falcon spare parts bin at Ford America.

With the success of the Mustang in America and Australia following American trends more and more, Ford Australia promoted the links between the Mustang and Falcon with the introduction of the XR Falcon.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #63
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

nope dont really like it much and once again as john said and attepmt at holden to copy AUII XR wheels its to euro 4 me
Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #64
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Screw the European look. If you want European, buy a car built there. This is Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon territory. Its Australian Motoring. Cars built in the land of OZ. V8 Supercar racing, ford v holden. Who wants to drive a falcon or commodore that look like a focus and vectra. I just think that the idea of European styling should stay where it belongs. In Europe. !!!

I'm not against modern looking cars. I just think they need to keep it look more Aussie Built.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #65
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would you rather they looked like Camrys and Magnas?

Both Ford and holden are Aussie outposts of a multinational anyway, makes sense to use parts from yoru parent company.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #66
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
It actually looks like a bigger version of the new Focus IMO. I really love it..damn it!
it does look like the focus...and it does look good

i feel so dirty for saying that
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #67
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont mind it at all, and i think by the time its released if it actually looks like this then then asthetics will be a hit...but the question is will they have a 6 cyl engine to match it?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #68
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

I don't mind it at all either. Looks classy...well that is until HSV slap the plastic on it.

Though not totally convinced about the rear styling.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #69
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i think its the first ever classy looking commodore, well its make it or break it time for holden, if this doesnt succed, GM will scrap the whole platform
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #70
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I don't understand why people like it. Its like a mutilated AU and Vectra put together!

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #71
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_jaypee
It has a very Euro look to it but I dont want that, I'd rather an Aussie muscular look than a refined classy appearance.
I agree totally. Credit is due for a fresh design finally, but Australia should look at inventing design trends, rather than be following them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Screw the European look. If you want European, buy a car built there. This is Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon territory. Its Australian Motoring. Cars built in the land of OZ. V8 Supercar racing, ford v holden. Who wants to drive a falcon or commodore that look like a focus and vectra. I just think that the idea of European styling should stay where it belongs. In Europe. !!!

I'm not against modern looking cars. I just think they need to keep it look more Aussie Built.
Agreed. What are we? The land of wannabee's? Don't we have our own identity?

Terra Australis has only been around a few billion years or so!

Last edited by Dark Horse; 10-06-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #72
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think they also need to change the front plastic grill thing. screams astra to me, and that holden badge seems a bit too big.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #73
Barry_v
rocknrolla

its looks aweful. where the hell has the boot gone?
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #74
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

So there are those here who hate this, but love the BA, and love the Focus. In summary, you say :

1. Euro looking BA = good and only because it has a Ford badge and Ford bigotry
2. Euro looking Focus = I'm not sure, I think it will grow on me. I'll give it a chance because it is a Ford after all.
3. Euro looking VE = bad because it is a Holden. I don't care what it looks like really.

How many of you who hate it, still like the BA? Hmm? Well if that is you, then you are a brand bigot and there is NOTHING about the styling that is in your criteria. You couldn't care if it looked like a molested ape or an upended bar fridge, if it doesn't have a Ford badge then it is crap. You people are the Blue Oval equivalent of the VN P plate driving, Street Commodores buying, knuckle-dragging society.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #75
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

Sorry but just about all of our 'aussie' cars have been modelled off euro cars over the last 27 odd years, the Ford Granada was used for the design basis of blackwood and the Opel Rekord/Omega has continually been used for the Commodore.

I don't see how this is any different.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #76
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
So there are those here who hate this, but love the BA, and love the Focus. In summary, you say :

2. Euro looking Focus = I'm not sure, I think it will grow on me. I'll give it a chance because it is a Ford after all.
3. Euro looking VE = bad because it is a Holden. I don't care what it looks like really.

How many of you who hate it, still like the BA? Hmm? Well if that is you, then you are a brand bigot and there is NOTHING about the styling that is in your criteria. You couldn't care if it looked like a molested ape or an upended bar fridge, if it doesn't have a Ford badge then it is crap. You people are the Blue Oval equivalent of the VN P plate driving, Street Commodores buying, knuckle-dragging society.

exactly my thoughts...even on some of the posting quality on here lately.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #77
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

If this is what VE ends up looking like then I'll have to hand it to Holden for taking a more adventurous design approach than has previously been the case. Overall the design is an effective modernisation of the current evolution that the platform has undergone and with the exception of the steeply raked C pillar and rear glass house is about what you'd expect.

Wrapped around a decent driveline and a less agricultural gearbox it will form a solid competitor to the Ford range and can thus only assist in lifting the standard of the Blue Oval cars as well. Which can't be a bad thing.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #78
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they can make it look like that for around the same price as it is now then it looks like your getting more than what your paying for if anyone gets what i mean. I really dont care how it was designed or where it was built aslong as it looks good. Im sure the majority of the public doesnt care about origin of design or where it was built aslong as it is good and is of reasonable cost.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #79
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFalcon351
is it just me or does the lion badge on the commodore grow bigger every model
I think it must be for the people that go "Oh look its a Holden awesome, that means its better than a Ford anyday, off I go to get stoned"
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #80
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Oh no- I don't like Commodores, therefore I must be part of the `knuckle-dragging VN P plater' society. Commodores don't appeal to me, and while I don't mind the styling of the recent Commodores, this one seems to me like the AU version of the Commodore- under the hood it might be fine, but too different for most of the market. I'm not a devout brand fan, but I'd hesistate buying a Holden, FIAT, or Hyundai. Besides, it's not hard for someone to be conditioned to prefer Falcons over Commodores- this is a Ford forum after all with many comparisons drawn in favour of the Blue Oval.

As someone else has already said, it looks like a big Astra. I can imagine the tank-like view from the passenger seats (a modern style), and the wagon version should be interesting
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #81
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Must say i don't mind the shape at all of that sketch. Remember guys, this is not the final shape as per say. Remember the sketchs that Motor and Wheels dished out prior to the official release??

I think the SS with the LS2 engine would be an excellent package in performance, style and price.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #82
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
I'd hesistate buying a Holden, FIAT, or Hyundai.
So now a Holden is like a Hyundai? :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #83
8pAc
RDP #181

OMG ppl actually think this is ok, what a shocker.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #84
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
So now a Holden is like a Hyundai? :
Well, not to that extreme, I was just illustrating my point of preference
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #85
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I reckon it looks good except for the grille & badge - far too big. If they fix that up the rest looks fine, in fact I'd even call it better looking than BA.:
Old 10-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #86
8pAc
RDP #181

The BA is not that euro, it is just a boxed up au, the similarities are just huge same lines everywhere its almost like looking at a vl-vn. To that point how euro is the au, it was very unique at the time 1998, and it wasnt till far later 2001 maybe that a few jag models came out that almost look like mini au's with a jag grille.

IMO It really is only now that the ba is so popular that people are looking twice at the styling in the au(excluding t series they always looked horn) esp since lots of aftermarket gear has been popping up and is still growing strong.

A bit more on topic, even if the ba is euro based styled it still has been very design modded to fit an australian muscle car stance. I dont really now how that would look as a touring car. might look out of place as if it should be running round with 2 litre tourers.

...flame suit on...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #87
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
the BA doesnt look euro... what drugs are you on?

Quote:
why bring up a small import econobox four banger when we're talking about local family sedans? the focus looks ok, but that look isnt what i admire in a large car.

Quote:
The AU looked nearly identical to an upmarket european car iirc. doesnt mean australians liked it. you could put a ford badge on that picture, tell people its the new falcon and they STILL wouldnt like it.

Sorry if I gave my honest opinion on a new car on a car forum. i must be a knuckle scraping moron.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #88
8pAc
RDP #181

lol so agreed barry right on big thumbs up
Old 10-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #89
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
You people are the Blue Oval equivalent of the VN P plate driving, Street Commodores buying, knuckle-dragging society.
Winner of the most ill informed, uneducated comment of 2005

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #90
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:

Why because we don't agree with you? That's the stupidest thing i've heard tonight.

It looks very similar to the Torana concept from the front and therefore I do not find it attractive. If it was the new falcon i'd be very dissapointed

btw I'm not a big fan of the new Focus and I love XR BAs because they are aggressive and I find nothing Euro about them. Can't say the same about the base model though
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post