Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
close flaps, i save at least $3 with LPG

And to the others, yes I have 4 late model diesels - The 2.5 and 3.2L Tritons (Rubbish and only just passable respectively) and the Hyundai i30 and Santa Fe. They both ran out of puff too quickly - it was almost as if someone had put a golf ball under the accellerator - ie they change just as a petrol motor would come on power.

And all the other things, pumps are filthy, sound like ****, too nose heavy etc.

And don't give me a 'ooh you haven't driven a $45k euro diesel' because that's as good as a $200k ferrari to me - I ain't ever gonna buy one so the argument is moot.
Next time you see a 330D BMW show him just how slow it is compared to your LPG AU..........

13.x second 400m, 5.x 0-100, 250km/h (limited) and 1000km out of a 60 litre tank all from a 3 litre turbo diesel in a car that weighs a few kilos more....

A falcon that has the same performance as the I6 petrol yet gets far better fuel economy and range without the loss of cargo space has got to be a good thing.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Next time you see a 330D BMW show him just how slow it is compared to your LPG AU..........

13.x second 400m, 5.x 0-100, 250km/h (limited) and 1000km out of a 60 litre tank all from a 3 litre turbo diesel in a car that weighs a few kilos more....

Answer will most likely involve price difference between those two. For all doubters Ford is introducing a DIESEL Teritorry to bring it into 21 century levels of fuel consumption and effortless performance .
Enough said.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #63
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Soo many common outdated myths to that post its not worth wasting time with. Get with the 21st century.
If deisel is the 21st century, then I will happily remain in the 20th century..

Long live petrol V8's that dont require turbos to wind em up and dont smell like a bunch of rotten rags soaked in old contaminated oil an dont belch gallons of thick black smoke.

Its not a myth that deisels are fowl smelling lumps of things, dont beleive me, try working closely by em in the heavy construction industry.
Its 100% not a myth that they belch thick black vile smelling smoke, especially busses, trucks, tractors, diggers just to name a few.. An Id know standing beside the smelly things..
And the noise of the things, rattly trap sounding things.. Theres a few that live in my street, all newer ones and their way louder than any of the petrol cars in the street..

No idea huh?? come try working where I work for a week..

As for economy, Iv never bought a car for that, and never will to the day I die.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #64
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny

Long live petrol V8's that dont require turbos to wind em up and dont smell like a bunch of rotten rags soaked in old contaminated oil an dont belch gallons of thick black smoke.

Its not a myth that deisels are fowl smelling lumps of things, dont beleive me, try working closely by em in the heavy construction industry.
Its 100% not a myth that they belch thick black vile smelling smoke, especially busses, trucks, tractors, diggers just to name a few.. An Id know standing beside the smelly things..
And the noise of the things, rattly trap sounding things.. Theres a few that live in my street, all newer ones and their way louder than any of the petrol cars in the street..

No idea huh?? come try working where I work for a week..

As for economy, Iv never bought a car for that, and never will to the day I die.
Again the diesels you talk of are probably dirty old 2 strokes from the 1960s. Go and drive a modern one from Europe. And yep I'm a diesel mechanic at a DAF and KW dealer, which are one of the cleanest things on the road with todays emmission sytems as required by Euro 4 and 5 standards, which passenger cars also have.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Deisel heavy machinery and heavy vehicles would have to be one of the major contributors to the list of nasties polluting our world.. Look at that thick black smoke they all belch out, and the smell of them is bad enough to make a maggot gag..

You find power would be a much better contributor to the nasties in the air.

Also without heavy machinery the world is stuffed.

As for the gagging, it takes a lot of diesel fumes to kill you...unlike our friend petrol.

I really love these pointless debates about different fuels. Every fuel has its pro's and cons and thinking a one size fits all is just pointless.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #66
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:

A falcon that has the same performance as the I6 petrol yet gets far better fuel economy and range without the loss of cargo space has got to be a good thing.
Like i stated before, it's a moot point. If i'm gonna buy a $100k car i'm not going to compare it to a falcon.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 04-03-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #67
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Like i stated before, it's a moot point. If i'm gonna buy a $100k car i'm not going to compare it to a falcon.
The comparison was not model specific, rather car weight, drivetrain, economy and performance.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Jaguar XF with 3.0 TT Diesel has 0-100 kph 6.4 seconds and 6.8 l/100 km, all for $116,000.

If similar weighted luxury Falcon could ever score this version of Territory's new engine
then we would definitely have something really awesome and worth cheering about.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-03-2011 at 08:19 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #69
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like I said earlier diesels are NOT clean. Theres a reason why Mercedes has predicted the demise of them in passenger cars within ten years. It just wont be cost effective for them to keep spending massive dollars for them to meet toughening laws

The amount of NOx they produce far exceeds what a petrol engine produces, and is a reason why its nearly impossible to get a diesel passenger car in the US. Their laws are alot stricter that Europe when it comes to diesel emissions.
NOx are alot more dangerous to your health and the environment than CO2.
Diesels are also one of the leading causes of smog, and is particularly bad in Australia's environment, the emissions from Diesels react with sunlight, something they dont have to worry as much of in Europe.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #70
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

You can get comparable performance from a turbo-diesel engine as you would from a petrol engine, and at a much lower fuel usage.

In addition, the newer particle filters models are definately not smokey, smelly things. And comparing an industrial diesel to a consumer car version would be like comparing a car petrol engine to an aircraft engine...
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #71
MexicanBatman
Banned

So if diesels are so awesome why aren't there any good atmo passenger car diesels, can you even get one?

Nah just golfs with 20psi stuffed into them at very low rpm making them torquey.... Ok

Well my falcon has in inline 6 petrol diesel, at 4700rpm my car makes 300rwkw 80% of all available torque from practically idle and spins happily to over 6000rpm making great use of all 6 gears so I can have in gear flexibility, something you don't have in a short geared diesel... Only thing is my car doesn't make hippies smile and hug trees... But like I could care less... And several diesels made my short list when I brought the G6Et

I'm sick of people telling me how fast their diesel econobox is and how much torque it has, your 2l golf is crap ok thanks bye, and yes I've done many miles in one...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #72
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Like I said earlier diesels are NOT clean. Theres a reason why Mercedes has predicted the demise of them in passenger cars within ten years. It just wont be cost effective for them to keep spending massive dollars for them to meet toughening laws

The amount of NOx they produce far exceeds what a petrol engine produces, and is a reason why its nearly impossible to get a diesel passenger car in the US. Their laws are alot stricter that Europe when it comes to diesel emissions.
Diesels are also one of the leading causes of smog, and is particularly bad in Australia's environment, the emissions from Diesels react with sunlight, something they dont have to worry as much of in Europe.
Even in the USA diesels are gaining market share.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ars27_ST_N.htm
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #73
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Thats right mexibat, basically everything is brilliant if it costs $100k, made by ze chermans and has a hairdryer strapped to it. Somehow people think this is a 'normal' diesel!!! And some sort of basis for comparison!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #74
Eaglexr

I was surprised to see a VW Jetta diesel not long ago belching out thick black smoke. The Jetta is a modern deisel, and european, yet it blew out as much smoke as an 1985 Hilux.
If I was going to buy a modern deisel, I would not like driving it around looking like it has fried all it's piston rings and was consuming oil at the same rate as a slushie on a hot summers day.
Petrol is good for sedans, leave the diesels to larger passenger vehicles and heavy machinery.
Eaglexr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #75
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Corrected for accuracy....

I also just came across a memo....

It seems the Falcon Wagon is dead, replaced by some new-fangled thing called a Territory, and the RTV has been discontinued.

As for buying an Ecoboost or Diesel Falcon?

For my own personal use? No. As a fleet/pool car for my business? You betcha.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-

Last edited by drew`SEVNT5; 05-03-2011 at 12:14 AM.
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #76
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
So if diesels are so awesome why aren't there any good atmo passenger car diesels, can you even get one?

Nah just golfs with 20psi stuffed into them at very low rpm making them torquey.... Ok

I'm sick of people telling me how fast their diesel econobox is and how much torque it has, your 2l golf is crap ok thanks bye, and yes I've done many miles in one...

Your Falcon is turbo petrol and it is not in the same class as golf but you probably already know that.VW golf is not no more of econobox than falcon Is - they are both budget cars. VW Audi has cars of Falcon size and equivalent performance in both diesel and petrol.
Diesel engine combines perfectly with forced induction hence not many na diesels available any more.
I ve driven turbo falcon an VW tdi and they are both do a good job. Falcon is much quicker but it does not get me to work any faster than tdi. Fuel cost is another story.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #77
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just about to write a post pointing out some of the fallacies of diesel being spouted in this thread... (smelly, smokey, slow, etc)

Then I remembered what forum I was on.... The home of "we don't take kindly to folk like you" attitudes, my-cousin's-uncle's-mate's-mum saw a diesel eating a baby anecdotes and general head-in-the-sand'edness...

If ignorance is bliss, there are some happy people in the world, eh!

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #78
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
I was just about to write a post pointing out some of the fallacies of diesel being spouted in this thread... (smelly, smokey, slow, etc)

Then I remembered what forum I was on.... The home of "we don't take kindly to folk like you" attitudes, my-cousin's-uncle's-mate's-mum saw a diesel eating a baby anecdotes and general head-in-the-sand'edness...

Spot on, some of the comments on here are pathetic...........
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #79
fairBA
Banned

so out of the 1000+ people who read this thread only 5 said that they would buy one (not just thought it was a good idea but would buy one).

If either of these two models out sells the base model 6cy petrol - I'll buy an AU series 1 Forte Wagon ex taxi on gas.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #80
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
+1.
A lot of people obviously haven't really tried the new modern Euros. And mine ain't that modern any more being a 2006 model.
I actually ran my finger along the inside of the tail pipe in the 307 after we'd done 17,000kms in it and it came out clean. Not much soot coming out of that car! (A different story now that we've done over 90,000kms in it)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #81
bingoTE50
Steve

The Captain Obvious thread ....lol
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #82
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if ford made a diesel falcon id buy one...I4T petrol no
the taxi industry would love a TDI falcon too i reckon...

i had a 2004 DiD pajero and loved it...all you guys going on about euro diesels and what they cost go drive a pajero diesel made after 2002 ...oh and then drive the V6 version....its easy to see why the DiD out sells the V6
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #83
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like based on your theories, you are still back there.

Though diesel was around long before the 21st century, it got really good after the introduction of common rail injection. Petrol engines are getting better too, I would never have imagined a 3.5L V6 petrol turbo that would be suitable in an F-150 - not only that, but that it would kill every V8 in every aspect! With rising oil prices, I just hope we move on to something better yet. And soon!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #84
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
If either of these two models out sells the base model 6cy petrol - I'll buy an AU series 1 Forte Wagon ex taxi on gas.
A regular ex-cab or a proper taxi-pack 'hose-out interior' ex-cab?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #85
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why not, my boss went from a 5 series BMW to a XR6 falcon.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #86
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to hate diesels as well. But now I think they are not too bad in modern cars if you want a fuel efficient daily drive with decent power/tourque.

Personally I still want a petrol V8
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #87
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

the answer to the question is probably yes IF there was no other option available, personally I dont like anything diesel or 4cyl. I would prefer to keep my falcons petrol, manual and with 8 cylinders thanks very much.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #88
irlewy86
Meep Meep

EGR... Nooooo (Well lets just say "less likely")

4 pot rego..... Yessss (More likely)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #89
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman

Well my falcon has in inline 6 petrol diesel, at 4700rpm my car makes 300rwkw 80% of all available torque from practically idle and spins happily to over 6000rpm making great use of all 6 gears so I can have in gear flexibility, something you don't have in a short geared diesel... Only thing is my car doesn't make hippies smile and hug trees... But like I could care less... And several diesels made my short list when I brought the G6Et

Maybe you should do some miles in a new 2.0l petrol 4spd auto Corolla and compare to the Golf. Who cares whether they have boost or not (its like the same flawed arguemt that the SBC is inferior cos it has 6 litres to achieve 400hp), like I made mention of in a post above, a decent sized TD to the Falcon 4.0 will murder the old Ford in everyway, example, Audi A6 4.2 td, 260 odd kw, 800nm, 0-100 in 5.7 seconds and an AVERAGE fuel consumption of mid 7l/100km! Even BMWs 2.0 td (which seems to do a decent job in the 5 series) will transform the Falcon into something else for most everyday people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
This has already been addressed by European truck manufacturers with them adding adblue or urea into the exhaust, removing NOx, I believe the Yank makers will be adding this to their trucks for their equalivent of Euro 6 standards. Maybe it is only a matter of time before we see it in passenger cars.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #90
bingoTE50
Steve

Only if the 4 is front wheel drive ... lol ...Then we could have the Falcon Camry and Falcon Aurion .... Oh what a feeling ...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post