Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #61
xr8ted

Even when the BA XR8 first came out, it was still slower in a straight line when compared to the comparitive holden stuff, whether that was a VYSS or VY Clubbie. The Boss engines just take too long to get out of bed, which is worsened by the extra weight they have had to lug around.

Dont get me wrong, I love my XR8. It sounds the business, goes really well up high, feels solid and well engineered (when compared to an equivelent at the time SS), but I know that if i pick a fight at the lights its going to be a bit tough.

I think that the 302kw upgrade can only be a good thing, but whether there will be much of a noticable difference on the road or against the clock will be another thing.

A 12kw gain in a Lotus Elise is a big step, a 12kw gain in a 1850kg GT is not going to set the world on fire. As has been said, unfortunatley this has to be a marketing ploy to steal a few extra sales until orion arives. Lets hope that it doesnt let down the BOSS 302 name. That would be a real shame.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #62
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

How about everyone just pray Orion gets the 373kw Shelby Mustang engine or even the 410kw all alloy Ford GT motor.

Does anybody know what crate motors could be used?

I'm pretty sure Saleen produces a legal 7.0L OHV V8 and and Ford has announce producton of the BOSS 302ci V8 crate motor.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #63
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/ 6.0 litre alloy block based on Ford's modular engines, anyone?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #64
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Ford's BA XR8 was quicker and had the same power as the HSV Clubsport in early 2003 didn't it ? The FPV cars were clearly better.

It scared the Sh!t out of HSV and they've been upping their power ever since. HSV HAS to p!ss higher than FPV don't they ?

They haven't had any real competition until recently from FPV, and they were outsold until the E series was released. If FPV do a std GT that is quicker and had more power than the equivalent HSV, HSV will just put a bigger motor in their car.

Where will it stop ?
There is a limit for everything. For example, with the VT-VZ generation, it was the chassis. They were not willing to safely warrant it for more then 300kW of power. So that's why from 2000-2004 the GTS300 was top-dog, even though the GT hit 290kW, they were scared to push over. And that's why the LS2 was taken down to 297kW for the VZ.

Government restrictions like some are claiming are a thing from the past. This is 2007, not 1972. Things don't work the same as they did back then anymore. Especially considering international competition and so on. Deliberately hurting our own industry isn't something we're into anymore, I think we learnt the first time around...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #65
ACTIV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_vod69
There are plenty of performance options other than your sainted FPV, you know, stuff that handles as well.... I mean, would it be out of place for me to suggest that maybe FPV's biggest problem is the orphan of a V8 they have? All that weight high up at the front of the car does nothing for handling, and all that technology under the bonnet doesn't mean dick if it doesn't actually make the car better.
What planet is this on again?

I have a BF GT, tuned to 288 rwkw without touching the engine, it will snake as long as you hold your foot down in performance auto mode. If I operate it manually, I can get the car to fish tail as it changes into second gear and the car handles extremely well.

WTF else do you want? More to the point, who of you could even truly handle this?

Not many of you, I can assure you.
ACTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #66
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i'v said before and say it again
ford have a 6.2lt fontana motor based on the 4v boss

Last edited by burnz; 07-07-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: incorrect size 6.0
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #67
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
.And name me 1 model since the EB XR8 back in 92 that out gunned the HSV cars. Not in handling but outright straight line grunt. The typhoon, maybe?
Ford wont enjoy HSV style success until it builds a quicker car. Its that simple
Sprint is all i could think of...and that statement is very true.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #68
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTIV8

I have a BF GT, tuned to 288 rwkw without touching the engine, it will snake as long as you hold your foot down in performance auto mode. If I operate it manually, I can get the car to fish tail as it changes into second gear and the car handles extremely well.

WTF else do you want? More to the point, who of you could even truly handle this?

people are more interested in catching holden and rightly so
but holden is not interested in out doing ford as maybe suggested.
hsv is looking at the treat comming from chrysler and not from ford.
perhapse ford should see both hsv and str as a threat
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #69
3vXT

Quote:

WTF else do you want?
a sports car? something unique?

EDIT: and perhaps a car that could get those 288kw's to the ground a little better than that.
and by the way mate my xt is 130kw's short of that and will do the same thing so dont think your something your not.

Last edited by 3vXT; 07-07-2007 at 06:46 PM.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #70
ACTIV8

Is your XT an auto? Does it have as bad an attitude as you do?

How would you know what I am and am not?

I can assure you...I am.

We can go that road if you wish buddy.

Have a think about how silly your comment is about hooking that power up.

It's "you're" by the way.

Anything else that I can help you with?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #71
burnz
VFII SS UTE

well he's in the castle you are where?
and pls keep it off the street's.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #72
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:

Yes. We now all know you have a car with decent power, but , we arent talking about peoples modofied cars. We are talking about Holden/HSV cars Vs. Ford/FPV cars. Straight from the factory.
I suggest to you that, if a person with a VE clubsport spent the same money you did to get your 288rwkW, you would only get a brief glimpse of their tail lights before they all but dissappeared. Now, by all means prove me wrong but I think you will be dissapointed with the outcome.
By the way, Ive driven an opened GT with a real 278rwkW and an XR6T with a real 295rwkW. They were both pussycats. Heaps of squirt, but so easy to punt hard. XR6T still wheelspinning in 3rd gear. If you are happy with 288 at the wheels, good luck to you.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #73
peter_vod69
Starter Motor

Quote:

Oooooh, big tough man. Gee, I wish I was as tough as you. PS, I like your hypocrisy. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Falcons (and commodores for that matter) do NOT handle that well. I suppose its redundant of me to point out just how stupid it is of you to be doing burnouts and fishtailing around on the street, since you probably already worked that considering just how intelligent you are.
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #74
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
people are more interested in catching holden and rightly so
but holden is not interested in out doing ford as maybe suggested.
hsv is looking at the treat comming from chrysler and not from ford.
perhapse ford should see both hsv and str as a threat
From what I have heard the charger srt8 has plenty of grunt but handles like a boat.

I think HSV is more concerned about trying to be identified in the same league as M and AMG than trumping Ford.

Ford has the problem of uncertainty of which direction to take.

Do they take the HSV route of making ball tearing V8 grunters or smooth and nimble straight six BMW M3 competitors.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #75
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_vod69
Oooooh, big tough man. Gee, I wish I was as tough as you. PS, I like your hypocrisy. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Falcons (and commodores for that matter) do NOT handle that well. I suppose its redundant of me to point out just how stupid it is of you to be doing burnouts and fishtailing around on the street, since you probably already worked that considering just how intelligent you are.
hope you get thrown off this forum . schoolboy dude. i think if everyone went into your car 130 kws shy of his GT . 100% OF PEOPLE WOULD LAUGH AT your power versus his . and his car is built for that kind opf power at the wheels . which is actually more at the wheels than cars of 5 years ago had at the fly wheel .

on another note , it is amasing how people bag people who are in impressed with the gt, BOSS performance here . YOU ALL want less weight , and a chassis that can put high power to the ground , perhaps you should go to a ferrari forum .
and ou dont have to send big $$$$ to increase the performance of a BOSS engine , which doesn't really need it unless you need to extend your anyhow .
my car has had a whole $1000 spent on aftermarket mods , ( a cat back and CAI) AND has had a dyno run that produced 264 RWKW's and beat all hsv , rivals on the day, in fact it was the highest readout of the day.

OK , NOW IT'S TIME to prove my 1st sentence in the 2nd paragraph right . so start bagging .
I'LL START : it was just a happy dyno !!!!!

Last edited by gtfpv; 07-07-2007 at 08:35 PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #76
3vXT

Quote:
Is your XT an auto? Does it have as bad an attitude as you do?
no and no.

Quote:
How would you know what I am and am not?

I can assure you...I am.
your posting about how your car pulls skids and cracks 2nds like its something special, thats how i know that your another bogan ****er who thinks their car is the greatest car ever simply because they own it.

Quote:
Have a think about how silly your comment is about hooking that power up.
ok, i've had another think about it and i still dont think its a silly comment, what exactly is the point of nearly 300rwkw's if your fishtailing in 2nd gear?

Quote:
It's "you're" by the way.
your right about that at least.

and no, i cant think of anything you could help me with.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #77
burnz
VFII SS UTE

hsv is looking at amg/m5 grange
hsv is looking at srt with the gts
ford does not factor till next year
Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #78
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
no and no.

your posting about how your car pulls skids and cracks 2nds like its something special, thats how i know that your another bogan ****er who thinks their car is the greatest car ever simply because they own it.

ok, i've had another think about it and i still dont think its a silly comment, what exactly is the point of nearly 300rwkw's if your fishtailing in 2nd gear?

your right about that at least.

and no, i cant think of anything you could help me with.
they dont really fishtail , through the gears , mines a manual and doesnt really brek traction unlkess you fang the living daylights out of it, ford designed this power to be mostly top end . with enough torque to get there quickly.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #79
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

All school boy stuff..... "Mines bigger than yours ....."

Apparently after reading this (and another) thread, my FORDS are up for sale (if anyone would ever buy crap) as they are only just piles of poo! Off to the dealer to buy the 'FORD beater' Holden (thought it was Toyota by sales figures).

Honestly guys ...... Its OK to knock the product but its gone way past that. Love the LS1 boys to be reading all this pile of crap and saying ...."SEE, even those that have FORDS think they are SHIIT!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #80
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
they dont really fishtail , through the gears , mines a manual and doesnt really brek traction unlkess you fang the living daylights out of it, ford designed this power to be mostly top end . with enough torque to get there quickly.
i wasn't suggesting that there is anything wrong with a GT, i think they are very good at what they do.
its just the self important that think a cai and some extractors turn their almost 2 ton tourer into a sports car. anyone that obviously biased is a bogan IMO.
i know thats way off topic so i'll add that a few extra kw's may help fpv get rid of the last of the bf gt's but i dont think it'll make a big difference in the long run.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #81
burnz
VFII SS UTE

ACTIV8 i expect you to come from a holden fan like me!
but not that blatent with 10post and having a go at everybody
for whom wishes to express thier point of view,
more knowlege from you and not from you best mate's brother' sister great uncle dog
Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #82
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
i wasn't suggesting that there is anything wrong with a GT, i think they are very good at what they do.
its just the self important that think a cai and some extractors turn their almost 2 ton tourer into a sports car. anyone that obviously biased is a bogan IMO.
i know thats way off topic so i'll add that a few extra kw's may help fpv get rid of the last of the bf gt's but i dont think it'll make a big difference in the long run.
not bagging you mate, i wont complain about a few more factory KW'S , , i agree that a little is next to nothing, but the HOLDEN VE is a nice car and worthy of credit , AND A TOUGH competitor in my books , but it is not leaps and bounds in front of even the ba , as some are suggesting here . it does get a bit of a DE JA VU"" theme of peole constantly saying holden engines are so fast that ford have to catchup . they simply are not and both are high up on power for the cost. as they stated when i did my JOHN bowe, driving performance course . FERRARIES HAD 300 KWS LESS THAN 10 YEARS AGO.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #83
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTIVE8

WT else do you want? More to the point, who of you could even truly handle this?

We are all friends here, most will have a different opinion its how we choose to reply to ones post that will set the tone for a positive or negative experience here at AFF.

Back to thread topic.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #84
ACTIV8

What are you people, like 12 years old?

The car hooks up just fine, if you drive it to hook up, you don't know the difference?

You scream about the hoon driving like that on the streets, good for you, yet we need more power?

It seems to me that I've stumbled into a den of little boys here.

The truth of this is, few, if any of you would have the experience to drive anything like the GT to it's limits. Yours will be reached first.

How do I know that? You all talk like baby boys and baby boys don't have the years under their belts to know what they're doing.

So...how do you think I'm fitting in so far guys?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #85
3vXT

Quote:
What are you people, like 12 years old?

The car hooks up just fine, if you drive it to hook up, you don't know the difference?

You scream about the hoon driving like that on the streets, good for you, yet we need more power?

It seems to me that I've stumbled into a den of little boys here.

The truth of this is, few, if any of you would have the experience to drive anything like the GT to it's limits. Yours will be reached first.

How do I know that? You all talk like baby boys and baby boys don't have the years under their belts to know what they're doing.

So...how do you think I'm fitting in so far guys?
come on, don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #86
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
come on, don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think
com'on now give him a go i was twelve once
Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #87
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Geez I have forgotten what the topic was!

Something about 302kw GT????

Basically people get crazy over stock power figures but how many people keep their car stock????

A Nissan Skyline GTR J spec came stock with 206kw (Japanese reulations) does that mean that it is a piece of crap as it only has 206kw??
(and yes I realise it's a ricer and this a V8 thread I'm just trying to make a point)

Basically I believe people shouldn't worry too much about stock power figures as in 3 years time when the warranty runs out it will mean squat.

The new GTR costs $125,000 dollars, how much power can you get from a GT with $60,000 dollars worth of modifications??

7 Litre V8, so what??? Buy a XY shell and drop a 7 Litre big block in it and yu still have enough money to buy a XR8.

The BOSS has a lot of potential as does the LS2 and in the end you will find that the modified XR8 and SS scene is what really counts with the GT and GTSR given duties of something for all of us to drool over while we have a blast in our working class supercars.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #88
ACTIV8

Are we getting the picture yet buddy?

Now, you do realise that your XT only does what it does because you rev the crap out of it with a boot full of clutch first...right?

Put an auto behind it, like mine, and you'll be flat out spinning the wheels in the wet.

Dude, I was never suggesting that this was a sports car but it is more of a car than 99.9% of drivers out there could ever use.

You want a sports car, good for you, I want a GT falcon, they built it for people like me.

There is nothing wrong with this car, it does handle extremely well, if it didn't, I'd have changed the suspension by now. It hooks up, it hangs on, it does what it was designed to do.

More power is not the answer, that was in fact my point.

Plus it's fun to push buttons ey?

Just look back at the excitement I've generated here with a dozen little posts.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #89
ACTIV8

Burnz buddy, I know, that was clearly the year that you left school.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #90
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Geez I have forgotten what the topic was!

Something about 302kw GT????

Basically people get crazy over stock power figures but how many people keep their car stock????

A Nissan Skyline GTR J spec came stock with 206kw (Japanese reulations) does that mean that it is a piece of crap as it only has 206kw??
(and yes I realise it's a ricer and this a V8 thread I'm just trying to make a point)

Basically I believe people shouldn't worry too much about stock power figures as in 3 years time when the warranty runs out it will mean squat.

The new GTR costs $125,000 dollars, how much power can you get from a GT with $60,000 dollars worth of modifications??

7 Litre V8, so what??? Buy a XY shell and drop a 7 Litre big block in it and yu still have enough money to buy a XR8.

The BOSS has a lot of potential as does the LS2 and in the end you will find that the modified XR8 and SS scene is what really counts with the GT and GTSR given duties of something for all of us to drool over while we have a blast in our working class supercars.
well said