Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #61
landau37
Landau Lover

Default Rail crossings!

Hi guys just reading the thread, I drive steel trains for pasific national . Now in nsw we have predictor crossings on most main crossings ,that are set around 100meters from the crossing and are set to pedict the speed of the on coming train. Its ment to judge the speed that the locos will reach the crossing the drop the gates to stop traffic in a safe amount of time , so if the train is strugging it will not block traffic for ever. We have one at isilington that is a 15k turn out over crossing that feels like you are nearly into trafic before gates start ( prediction). Most pass trains can not proceed over a crossing if the gates are not droped completly ,giving them a proced signal just before a crossing or a low speed indication from a distance . The lights still flashing when booms are up may mean it is getting ready for a train movement. The cameras are there to help with acidents aswell involving trains and cars, people (in court who at fault ). All that crap i slept through in safe working class acualy may be useful.lol. I have had a lot of close calls with traffic at crossings with no gates mainly with people stopping haveing a think then going across rather than people ziping through when the lights start. I have been on both sides ,they can be a pain aswell. Well i have dribbled on long enough , i hope every one is still awake!!!!
landau37 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #62
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC GXL
Parramatta Road, Clyde has a level crossing. The line between Carlingford and Clyde.

Wayne
like i said real crossing's, not one's that are industrial and ony used 3 times a year!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #63
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOGES
So xr6 190 are you agreeing with pinch when he says 3 strikes and you lose your license ?Never eaten when driving? Never talked on a mobile phone when driving? Never taken off that tight seat belt a little early? Never kept a little momemtum up and rolled slowly through that stop sign on top of a hill?
The point I was making to begin with was going through a crossing a second early didnt warrant a man losing everything, and Pinch seems to think " professional " drivers are immune to a mistake now and again, God help me keep to 40 in a 40 zone at 2.00 am.
None of your points actually have anything to do with the topic at hand.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #64
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau37
Hi guys just reading the thread, I drive steel trains for pasific national . Now in nsw we have predictor crossings on most main crossings ,that are set around 100meters from the crossing and are set to pedict the speed of the on coming train. Its ment to judge the speed that the locos will reach the crossing the drop the gates to stop traffic in a safe amount of time , so if the train is strugging it will not block traffic for ever. We have one at isilington that is a 15k turn out over crossing that feels like you are nearly into trafic before gates start ( prediction). Most pass trains can not proceed over a crossing if the gates are not droped completly ,giving them a proced signal just before a crossing or a low speed indication from a distance . The lights still flashing when booms are up may mean it is getting ready for a train movement. The cameras are there to help with acidents aswell involving trains and cars, people (in court who at fault ). All that crap i slept through in safe working class acualy may be useful.lol. I have had a lot of close calls with traffic at crossings with no gates mainly with people stopping haveing a think then going across rather than people ziping through when the lights start. I have been on both sides ,they can be a pain aswell. Well i have dribbled on long enough , i hope every one is still awake!!!!
Mate

We install predictors. Here in Victoria they are set to 25 seconds warning. The crossing is closed for 7 seconds before the train arrives.

Here in Australia there are issues with excessive warning time and the road authorities kick up when it takes longer than 50 seconds for the first train to arrive.Thats why predictors are good because an 80km freight train gets the same warning as a 160kmh passenger train.

Idiots start to drive around the barriers after about 90 seconds. I have seen some pretty horrific videos of cars and trucks driving arround and nearly connecting with the QR tilt train because they had just had to wait 15 mins for a coal train to pass by : : The tilt train was on the other line doing 160k and just missed a tip truck.

Also had to just modify a crossing in Melbourne because people kicked up, it was opening 5 seconds after the train had passed. : :

My view is the Police don't pay enough attention to level crossings.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #65
landau37
Landau Lover

Yea i got lost in the moment trieng to get to the point and got lost . It was for every main line through sydney to newcastle ,bathurst, junee so used once in a while . I tried to explain the flashing lights,while gates up hit by train, cameras ? Sorry guys just tried to add a few things and got carried away. Thanks jg66 ...
landau37 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #66
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I always wait until the lights stop.

It's not that hard - or long....

Those who can't wait can cop the fine IMO.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #67
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
like i said real crossing's, not one's that are industrial and ony used 3 times a year!!
This line is used every hour at 12 minutes pas the hour on weekends and on weekdays varies between every half hour (approx) to every hour.
This line is not industrial only but commuter as well.

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #68
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I always wait until the lights stop.

It's not that hard - or long....

Those who can't wait can cop the fine IMO.
And so you should. Gamble with trains is not wise.

Like your Avatar. Thats a top film.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #69
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I've lost count on the amount of times I've seen people drive off after the train has gone passed but the boom gate still going up and the lights are still flashing. People just don't care.
I always wait till the lights go out and then proceed across. It's the LAW!
I've had people behind me beep their horns or go around me but I don't care. If the lights haven't gone out.. You don't move!
The same thing applies for stopping at stop signs. You're required to stop, not roll through. but that's a topic for another thread.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #70
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Well we don't really have crossings in Sydney so giving an outsiders perspective it seems any problems could be all solved by simply changing the light phasing. Why have flashing lights at all? Why not have red light with boom gates down. Boom gate rises, lights stay red, then when boom gate fully opened light turns green. WHy have flashing? Seems it just confuses people judging by this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
There is a level crossing at Mascot between Gen Holmes Drv and Botany Road. Within spitting (well, rock throwing) distance of the airport. It is used several times a day by goods trains. The gates reach the top about 5 seconds before the lights stop flashing. Everyone drives through as soon as the gates open.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #71
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i dont normally see the other crossing with the exception of parramatta rd.

in 28 yrs of going along that road i'v only see the crossing used twice.

warwick farm was used more in the old day when tha race day was on, (horse/cars raceing) now removed.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #72
AUIII

JG66ME do you know the reason why there is not the same delay for the pedestrians crossings our ones turn green instantly and the pedestrians are crossings on a green light while the boom gates are still flashing and opening.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #73
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII
JG66ME do you know the reason why there is not the same delay for the pedestrians crossings our ones turn green instantly and the pedestrians are crossings on a green light while the boom gates are still flashing and opening.
Your in Brisbane. Not quite the same as Victoria so I will answer from memory.

Once the train has passed the control function starts to open the crossing. That is providing there is not another train in the outer approach.

If they are flashing lights only the will stop at that instant, as will the ped crossing. If they are booms, the road lights detect the booms vertical before they stop flashing. The ped crossing is not connected to the booms and stops flashing as soon as the control function says there is no approaching train.

Thats why I said above that technically once the booms start to go up the crossing is safe to cross.

However the law is written in a simplistic manner, lights flash and you don't cross. Thats because if there are no booms you just obey the lights. It would be confusing if you then said if there where booms you ignore the lights.

At the end of the day, what a few seconds?

Ped crossing controls are not quite the same as the road controls. People can react a lot faster than say a semi trailer fully laden. They do take into account things like the walking speed of old people though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JG66ME; 05-07-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #74
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOGES
I remember a taxi driver in Lilydale went through the crossing a bit early and was pulled over by the police.
There's only two crossings that I would be willing to cross whilst the lights are flashing, and it's this one and the one further south where the Lilydale Bypass should be, after a Lilydale-bound train. Because it's only the one track and you have a decent view towards Melbourne, and you know there isn't a train coming the other way.

I understand the law, but I'm prepared to trust my own judgement. The eyes never lie.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #75
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if I buy the theory that it should be treated like any red light. So when they start going and your just about to cross the tracks, you should slam on your brakes to avoid going through a "red light?"
It also happens to be a flashing red light, which means under some laws, that you have to stop and yield, but may proceed when safe to do so. If the boom gates are up, and it's flashing, under that law, you may proceed if it is safe to do so. (The same thing as a stop sign - you don't have to wait until someone removes the Stop sign). In that case, the first car could claim that they stopped and it was safe to cross, but I doubt the other 3 cars could claim that, unless they stopped at the line before proceeding to cross the tracks.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #76
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if I buy the theory that it should be treated like any red light. So when they start going and your just about to cross the tracks, you should slam on your brakes to avoid going through a "red light?"
It also happens to be a flashing red light, which means under some laws, that you have to stop and yield, but may proceed when safe to do so. If the boom gates are up, and it's flashing, under that law, you may proceed if it is safe to do so. (The same thing as a stop sign - you don't have to wait until someone removes the Stop sign). In that case, the first car could claim that they stopped and it was safe to cross, but I doubt the other 3 cars could claim that, unless they stopped at the line before proceeding to cross the tracks.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #77
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #78
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
I understand the law, but I'm prepared to trust my own judgement. The eyes never lie.
They did for that truck driver!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
There's only two crossings that I would be willing to cross whilst the lights are flashing, and it's this one and the one further south where the Lilydale Bypass should be, after a Lilydale-bound train. Because it's only the one track and you have a decent view towards Melbourne, and you know there isn't a train coming the other way.

Just make sure when the cop uses his judgement and writes you a ticket, you accept it graciously, he is just doing his job. Also make sure when the guy in front of you choses not to use judgement and prefers to follow the law, keep your hand a away from the horn. He has every right to follow the law.

I do not agree with your "use my judgement" idea, it doesn't always work but you are unlikely to change ideas anyway so no point discussing. The plain and simple fact is driving through on the flashing light is illegal, regardless of the reasons.

Quote:
It also happens to be a flashing red light, which means under some laws, that you have to stop and yield, but may proceed when safe to do so.
In australia that is a flashing amber and is normally found at pedestrian crossings. The flashing red at a rail crossing means stop, unless of course you are already on the tracks in which case you should obviously continue on to clear the tracks, I am thinking most do not need a light to tell them that.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #80
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
which laws????? hahahaha OMG mate ur in the wrong country. You should have turned left at indonesia not right...

Quote:
LOL well tell us ur real name then so we can recognise you on the front page when they identify ur body. :

chevypower and dom_105, you should both have your lisences canceled and your cars confiscated.

Again. (for the really slow) The reason you should wait and do what the government tells yo to do, and obay the road laws, is that it is NOT your god given right to drive. You are allowed to drive as a privilege given to you buy society on the condition that you obay the law that society (government) dictates. If you choose not to obay societies laws because you think you know better (or your stupid enough to think your eye never lies) then hand in your licence, because a licence is basically an agreement that you know the road laws and agree to abide by the laws of the road and in return you are given permission to drive on the governments roads that society pays for. If you dont like it, dont live in society and dont drive on our roads.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #81
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

On Various Crossings around Vic Suburbs they have started to put traffic lights at the railway crossing lights as dumb ***'s still dont know the road rules and your not supposed to cross over railway lines until the lights stop flashing

Now what you see is the dumb ***'s run the red light on the traffic signal and run the flashing railway crossing lights because they think its go as soon as you can get past the raised boom gates - love to see some one pulled over and get done twice

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #82
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
On Various Crossings around Vic Suburbs they have started to put traffic lights at the railway crossing lights as dumb ***'s still dont know the road rules and your not supposed to cross over railway lines until the lights stop flashing

Now what you see is the dumb ***'s run the red light on the traffic signal and run the flashing railway crossing lights because they think its go as soon as you can get past the raised boom gates - love to see some one pulled over and get done twice
They had to put traffic lights at one of the level crossings in Ballarat too. It's an old school one with gates and morons kept trying to beat the gates and collected them. Not real good considering that meant the gates would stay closed until they could repair them which generally took weeks.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #83
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Mate

We install predictors. Here in Victoria they are set to 25 seconds warning. The crossing is closed for 7 seconds before the train arrives.

Unless the train is sitting at a platform for 3 minutes (or possibly more) after activating the boom gates.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #84
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Lizzard
Unless the train is sitting at a platform for 3 minutes (or possibly more) after activating the boom gates.
Thats where they are a pain. I prefer to use conventional tracks in this case, providing there is a signal there.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #85
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
which laws????? hahahaha OMG mate ur in the wrong country. You should have turned left at indonesia not right...

LOL well tell us ur real name then so we can recognise you on the front page when they identify ur body. :

chevypower and dom_105, you should both have your lisences canceled and your cars confiscated.

Again. (for the really slow) The reason you should wait and do what the government tells yo to do, and obay the road laws, is that it is NOT your god given right to drive. You are allowed to drive as a privilege given to you buy society on the condition that you obay the law that society (government) dictates. If you choose not to obay societies laws because you think you know better (or your stupid enough to think your eye never lies) then hand in your licence, because a licence is basically an agreement that you know the road laws and agree to abide by the laws of the road and in return you are given permission to drive on the governments roads that society pays for. If you dont like it, dont live in society and dont drive on our roads.
I love reading silly posts from morons on their high horse on the internet. Makes me laugh. Of course, you never speed, you never download anything from the internet which is copyright, you're a perfectly good little boy aren't you? Did you read my other post which sided on safety? I guess not. Go read back a few posts will you? My last post just said you can't go by the red light argument, as it is not the same thing. If they were meant to be the same thing, why not just put a set of traffic lights at train crossings?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #86
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I love reading silly posts from morons on their high horse on the internet. Makes me laugh. Of course, you never speed, you never download anything from the internet which is copyright, you're a perfectly good little boy aren't you? Did you read my other post which sided on safety? I guess not. Go read back a few posts will you? My last post just said you can't go by the red light argument, as it is not the same thing. If they were meant to be the same thing, why not just put a set of traffic lights at train crossings?
Being from the US I wouldn't expect you to understand AUS road laws. Not understanding them I wouldn't expect you to comment on them either.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #87
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Being from the US I wouldn't expect you to understand AUS road laws. Not understanding them I wouldn't expect you to comment on them either.
I grew up in Melbourne, still have family there.. so yes I can still do hook turns. And, yes I can comment on Australian and US road laws, many laws like train crossings are international.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #88
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
And I love reading responses from even sillier people who don't even realise they are saying something silly. The law is, do not cross untill red light stops flashing... what part of that dont you understand? And then in stupid defence you attack those trying to set you straight. And as a mater of fact, no I dont speed. and yes I am a perfectly good mature man. And damn proud of it.
I did read your other post siding on safety, thats why ur stupid post makes no sence because it seems to contradict your safe nature.

Quote:
I grew up in Melbourne
I think you still have a bit of growing up to do.

Last edited by Joshvee; 06-07-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Joshvee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #89
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I grew up in Melbourne, still have family there.. so yes I can still do hook turns. And, yes I can comment on Australian and US road laws, many laws like train crossings are international.
Then yes you can. I do agree that replacing the flashing lights (which in the rules do state that you must not go until they stop flashing) with normal traffic lights would be a great idea.

I wonder how many people who don't wait would if it were an actual set of traffic lights.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #90
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Always have and always will stop at rail crossings when the lights flash. Our main set (am in regional W.A) just had booms installed to stop idiots just cruising accross as they please even when the lights flash. Sure the train is going slow as it is coming into about 5 different sets of tracks, but DON'T assume it is safe. I must admit the other day was annoying but. I was at the set up the road with no booms, the train was moving normal so I stayed (as I always do), then as he was going past he was slowing, came to a complete stop in front of me blocking the crossing because the track had not been switched, which he got out and did. Wished I had gone through that day lol.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post