Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #61
Micksxboxmods
BF FPV GT-P Goodness.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
My biggest P. off is customers who hang around looking over your shoulder. good luck with it
I could be wrong, but that suggests something to hide mate?? Maybe they care for their car and just want to make sure you will care(like they do or better) for it whilst its in your custody.

I'm not accusing and no malice intended, just wanted to get a feel for why you would think this way.

I'm a sparky by trade, so no chance not to do anything without the customer watching, and I'm happy to do that.
Micksxboxmods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #62
ED Ford Falcon

lol they've tried to get me before, put my car into get the rear discs replaced and all the pads, and the bloke said it'll be 2 hours of labour, but i ensured him he can have it for the whole day!

I sat next door and had breakfast and went to my mates workshop opposite the shop until 2 o clock when i thought i might ring them to see if the car is ready to pickup (although I knew it hadn't been touched!)

The boss there said they had nearly finished and drop by in 40 mins

Went back in 40 mins and he had it down as 2 hours labour!!! at $77 an hour

I ripped it up him knowing he only spent 35 mins on it from getting into it to driving it out the door! Will never use him again...

I recommend you DIY or use someone you trust

I would have attempted it myself, but i am a full time school student and spend a day a week at tafe and am rostered on for permanent 25 hours a week! although this pay week was 32 hours...
I simply don't have time nor the patience nor the money for dodgy people...
ED Ford Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #63
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
"Ford service centres" was plural.

-Macarthur Ford
-Peter Warren Ford
-Dominelli Ford

I'm now on to my 4th, Dale Ford. They seem to be pretty good so far. They actually seem to give a **** about my cars.
Mate, you have to see Jorge when it comes to Dale, he honestly really cares and will do the best by you.

As for the OP, 10 year factory warranty? Don't think so. Maybe that's why your services have been so expensive - because there is no warranty at all!

Love the looking in idea, sort of like someone coming into my work saying; "I'm taking a flight next month on this airplane, mind if I watch you do a D check?" Then wandering off milling around the entrance only to become FOD.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #64
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods
I could be wrong, but that suggests something to hide mate?? Maybe they care for their car and just want to make sure you will care(like they do or better) for it whilst its in your custody.

I'm not accusing and no malice intended, just wanted to get a feel for why you would think this way.

I'm a sparky by trade, so no chance not to do anything without the customer watching, and I'm happy to do that.
The difference between yourself being watched as a sparky and a mechanic being watched by a customer is simple. Most people don't really know what a sparky is doing, nor do they understand it. Most people who care enough about their car to watch it being serviced like to think they have some mechanical knowledge sufficient to ask questions (no matter how annoying or dumb) and are also almost traumatised when they see something like the head off.
Then they also proffer silly things to try to prove their intelligence with mechanical things to the mechanic, and this rapidly becomes innane and serves as a distraction. Finally, after all these distractions and annoyances should something appear to go wrong (such as undoing a thermostat housing and coolant leaking out) then this kind of customer tends to be the first to complain.
Best thing to do is say hi to your mechanic and be nice to him/her, then leave them alone to do the job. If they get it wrong and the car breaks down or explodes, then complain.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #65
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

I guess it depends on the customer or situation.

I fix computer servers and storage for a living and literally everyone is an expert but me.

I don't mind if someone watches or someone asks questions but mostly it turns into.. why are you doing that? You're doing that wrong! That won't fix the problem!

A perfect example last week was fitting a midplane into an enclosure at the customer's insistant request (which wasn't causing the fault) - so, not only was I there to spend 2 hours doing something pointless, he also proceeded to tell me that the midplane doesn't come out the rear because he installed the enclosure from the front (as I advised him that just about all the power cables had to be removed from the rear as they were blocking the release of the midplane from the rear).

Removed the midplane (to his cries of telling me that he could find a way to remove it from the front the whole time) and installed a new one. Shock, horror. Problem not solved. Came back the next day with a hot pluggable switch, 2 minutes worth of work, problem fixed. He turns to me, looking pleased with himself and says... so it was the midplane AND the switch. See, I told you. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #66
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Ford Falcon
lol they've tried to get me before, put my car into get the rear discs replaced and all the pads, and the bloke said it'll be 2 hours of labour, but i ensured him he can have it for the whole day!

I sat next door and had breakfast and went to my mates workshop opposite the shop until 2 o clock when i thought i might ring them to see if the car is ready to pickup (although I knew it hadn't been touched!)

The boss there said they had nearly finished and drop by in 40 mins

Went back in 40 mins and he had it down as 2 hours labour!!! at $77 an hour

I ripped it up him knowing he only spent 35 mins on it from getting into it to driving it out the door! Will never use him again...

I recommend you DIY or use someone you trust

I would have attempted it myself, but i am a full time school student and spend a day a week at tafe and am rostered on for permanent 25 hours a week! although this pay week was 32 hours...
I simply don't have time nor the patience nor the money for dodgy people...
Have you never heard of standard repair times? If the standard repair time is 2 hours to do any one job and they have a technician that can do it properly in half an hour than good luck to them. That is why there are standard repair times and this is usually how a workshop makes money. Technician efficiencies. It works the other way too, if the technician takes 5 hours to do the job, the workshop takes the hit, they can only charge the standard repair time. The other point is, how do you know they didnt have two technicians working on your vehicle?

Last edited by MR_SIDO; 08-07-2009 at 01:40 PM.
MR_SIDO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #67
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate people that watch you working, normally makes you stuff up more!!!

Either let them do their job or take you car elsewhere.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #68
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Because it is very detrimental to the health and well being of the customer ..... part of OH&S you could say!

Customer:
"What are you doing?
Why are you doing it that way?
The last time that was done, they did it different?
Couldn't you just turn it a bit to the left .... no right .... no left ... no .... I like it the way you had it the first time?
Wouldn't it be easier if you did it the other way?
A friend of mine said it you shouldn't do it like that?
My husband does it better than ..... !"
Tradie:
THUNK

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

All this and no replies from the OP?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #70
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm the same though Mick, I hate fixing something and having the customer peering over my shoulder, does nothing but annoy me.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #71
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Probably still waiting at the dealership.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Probably still waiting at the dealership.
: :
Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #73
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
Hey everybody!

I'm going into a service with FORD soon, and as I have the whole, entire day off, I was thinking I would hang around and go into the workshop and see exactly what they do.

Has anybody ever done this before.

If they are going to touch anything on my car, I want to be there, so I know exactly what they do and where all my money is going. I've never done this before, but I'm definitely doing it this time!

I'm just kind of sick of hearing all these bad stories of Ford Dealership services and such, so I'm going to see what really happens!

Cheers!

Yes I have done it, but not on the basis I wanted to garner negative evidence. If they perceive you have a hidden agenda, the easiest way to stop you is to refuse on the basis it's not a public property, secondly you are not part of their risk assessment/insurance/workcover and thirdly they don't like you attitude.

If, however you are genuinely interested in their facilities and just want a looksee, they will probably oblige. Some places have viewing facilities where you can lay back and spend all day getting bored witless.

You also have to ask yourself if the problems that people go on about is because of poor service or poor servicable product .
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #74
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

lol, great thread..send it to sams mailbag, you might get a free xbox.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Yes I have done it, but not on the basis I wanted to garner negative evidence.
Model T's weren't that complicated though wally....

Old 11-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #76
satria
FOXWHO

don't you have better things to do than stand around a workshop watching your car be serviced...

maybe if you had a classic ferrari or something i could then MAYBE and thats a big MAYBE understand you wanting to watch but a ford??? come on mate, take your mrs out to lunch or something instead while it gets serviced.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #77
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
I am alright with them telling me it is an OHS risk if I stand in their garage to see them do their job. But I don't see a problem if I am standing just outside their garage door. And if they don't even let me do that, I don't mind. Because my personal mechanic is a good friend of mine and he will take me through the whole service procedure (I asked him, he said he will show me exactly what he does, and that's the main reason I want to see Fords service). If they let me down.
If they let you watch, which I doubt (certainly give it a crack though), they'd probably do an awesome job. You'd feel confident next time not to watch and they'd do their lax job again. LOL!

Of course I'm well aware that there are many good mechanics and the like on this forum who would pride themselves on doing a great job on any vehicle they service, but they'd not be in the majority I'd reckon. Perhaps on this forum they are though.

In any case, I reckon just get your mate to do the service, watch and learn from him, enjoy asking the questions and getting real answers, and enjoy your wallet being heavier from the cash you save.

My 2 cents (pun intended).

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #78
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

my old mans friend, owns a mechanic shop...his garage is basically in full view of the customer...hes very happy for his customers to see what hes doing, but he will not let anyone enter the garage...though i have been inside whilst they have been working on the cars, because he knows i wont sue him, if i was to get injured in his garage...thats one of the main reasons why most dealerships have that OHS policy....the main reason why i refuse to service my vehicle at a dealership, is that they seem have their garages tucked well away from the customers view (based on the few dealerships i have seen)...and once when i was at a dealership, getting some warranty work looked at, i was in the "forbidden secret garage" and what i saw was not pretty...the apprentice mechanics were having fun and mistreating the customers' cars..if only the customers saw wat was happening...local mechanics are the most genuine and most will service a car under warranty...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #79
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Ultimately, a Ford service will just be an oil and filter change, road test, inspection with a torch underneath, the wheels will come off to check brake linings, sachet of washer fluid in the bottle, the hinges greased, and anything not 100% will be noted down and they will attempt to get you to replace it. You service handbook details exactly what will happen, and how long it should take - providing they do not find anything wrong.

It won't be thrilling entertainment, but worth it for the stamps in the book when it comes to resale.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #80
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Model T's weren't that complicated though wally....
True, but I swear they would still test some of the modern mechanics. :voldar02:
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #81
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Probably away reading the fine print in the warranty and OH&S laws.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #82
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my self i find it a distraction when people are looking over my shoulder, firing questions , if its a simple service its would`nt be so bad i guess , unless things have changed at a dealers your on the clock, well we used to clock in clock out when the job was started and finished on the job card, at the end of the job write up every thing done to the car , ie 1500 service ,+ remove and replace faulty trim , dash rattles, water leaks, etc ,etc full credit to private shops most are very proffesional .....however dealers cover a vast array of problems, and some jobs are fiddly frustrating jobs that most private shops would`nt ever see or want to know about for that matter, .....and apprentices are only as good as the bloke running the workshop, my workshop foreman was an ex army guy trust me you did`nt want to screw up or do the wrong thing, this will vary dealer to dealer, workshop to workshop. your right Hemank you will find some apprentices that do the wrong thing if you don`t want apprentices don`t go there, if you`ve seen current affair on some mechanics doing the wrong thing....... guess what....... not apprentices , secret workshop.....your joshing right .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #83
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
and apprentices are only as good as the bloke running the workshop, my workshop foreman was an ex army guy trust me you did`nt want to screw up or do the wrong thing, this will vary dealer to dealer, workshop to workshop. your right Hemank you will find some apprentices that do the wrong thing if you don`t want apprentices don`t go there, if you`ve seen current affair on some mechanics doing the wrong thing....... guess what....... not apprentices , secret workshop.....your joshing right .
yeah mate your spot on about the discipline part..i have been to other dealerships where the team managers had their apprentice mechanics on leashes..but ONE of the ford dealership i had visted, didnt seem to keep their 1st year apprentice mechanics in line....yeah true about the local workshops too...theres alot of shonky private mechanics too, no doubt...if you go to a dealership your less likely to get conned....just like with anything, you have to research before you pay for a service...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post