Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo
someone said before that we don't have these in vic but i always see them pretty common

You'll notice that Vic has cameras stating that there are cameras in the area (mind you most of the time the sign is on the side there are no cameras). The signs that are being mentioned are actually telling you there is a speed camera a head. You have to be in another world to get pinged by them. But I believe QLD is beginning to do a few shifties.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #62
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You'll notice that Vic has cameras stating that there are cameras in the area (mind you most of the time the sign is on the side there are no cameras). The signs that are being mentioned are actually telling you there is a speed camera a head. You have to be in another world to get pinged by them. But I believe QLD is beginning to do a few shifties.
I've seen these signs, but can never see the darn camera around :
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #63
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
i've found those signs in vic you're refering to are usually for red light cameras.. They usually read "road safety cameras operate in this area".
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #64
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I was just flicking through an old wheels magazine - July 1967, and came across an interesting article "The Suicidal Sixties" which lamented the introduction of blanket 60mph speed limits in NSW. NSW was one of the first states to introduce the blanket limit, with wheels predicting the other states will almost certainly follow suit - with the exception of Victoria, "which has firmly set its face against an outright speed limit"

Back then there was a "'driver onus' limit of 50mph, under which you may be charged with driving dangerously if doing more than that speed, and the onus is on you to prove you were driving safely", a situation which Victoria "considers ideal"

How things have changed!! Now from what I can tell Victoria is the most overpoliced state in the country for speed. Think I was born too late....
Remember the road toll back then, well for 1973/4 was over 1000 JUST for Victoria, now we skirt around 300 deaths per year, this has been bought about by a whole range of satey aspects to cars and by the introduction of various laws, a couple being .05 and seatbelts, but there are heaps more.

Probably best you were born after then as you might not have survived like a lot of my close friends didn't.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #65
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i'm in vic, i lost 6 points in 1 night ( a few years ago when i was on my p plates) with only 5 points allowed

it wasn't due to speeding, but, i managed on a 1 point agreement for 12 months, i was surprised i didn't get another fine... but if i did i would have lost it for 6 months

victoria, you don't want to live here, trust me...
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #66
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
victoria, you don't want to live here, trust me...
need some help packing? Im free Sunday ;)

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #67
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Remember the road toll back then, well for 1973/4 was over 1000 JUST for Victoria, now we skirt around 300 deaths per year, this has been bought about by a whole range of satey aspects to cars and by the introduction of various laws, a couple being .05 and seatbelts, but there are heaps more.

Probably best you were born after then as you might not have survived like a lot of my close friends didn't.
That is a bad number Trev, but as you alluded to safety aspects of cars, they are so much more safer now, so what is really causing the 300 deaths we record each year, is it really speed, does speed really kill, is any data available to us, of the deaths that are occuring how many of them are at what speed level, what if more people are dying travelling at 60-80km/h then how can speed be the cause of the deaths?
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #68
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going by what is delivered by TV news it appears to be mainly in or around Capital cities by young people who were exceeding the speed limits (not 100k limits here, just around town limits.

I also believe fatigue, tiredness and lack of concentration (fiddling with things inside the car or having people in the car distracting the driver) would be the other great contributors, with a little bit of alcohol thrown in.

I could check around as the data would certainly be available.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #69
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
what if more people are dying travelling at 60-80km/h then how can speed be the cause of the deaths?
Because they hit something really hard, like a tree at around 80km/h
Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #70
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because they hit something really hard, like a tree at around 80km/h
Yeh obviously, but why did they hit the tree, was it because they were speeding, or they just couldn't drive/distracted/alcohol/fatigue/fiddling etc?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #71
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh obviously, but why did they hit the tree, was it because they were speeding, or they just couldn't drive/distracted/alcohol/fatigue/fiddling etc?
All of the above (at the same time generally)
Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #72
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is a bad number Trev, but as you alluded to safety aspects of cars, they are so much more safer now, so what is really causing the 300 deaths we record each year, is it really speed, does speed really kill, is any data available to us, of the deaths that are occuring how many of them are at what speed level, what if more people are dying travelling at 60-80km/h then how can speed be the cause of the deaths?
EXCESSIVE SPEED..... i.e faster than safe to travel.... causing loss of control etc etc.... it doesnt matter what the posted limit is if you're travelling TOO fast to safely negotiate a hazzard, other traffic or road conditions.....

I.E SPEED KILLS....

Maybe the govt should change the slogan to "EXCESSIVE SPEED FOR THE CONDITIONS KILLS" so the dumb people understand what the message is too...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #73
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
EXCESSIVE SPEED..... i.e faster than safe to travel.... causing loss of control etc etc.... it doesnt matter what the posted limit is if you're travelling TOO fast to safely negotiate a hazzard, other traffic or road conditions.....

I.E SPEED KILLS....

Maybe the govt should change the slogan to "EXCESSIVE SPEED FOR THE CONDITIONS KILLS" so the dumb people understand what the message is too...
So the 300 loss of lives per year is all because people were going faster than safe to travel. I have seen many horrible head ons caused only by bad driving when a motorist crosses into the other lane, doesn't matter if your speeding or not a head on is always going to end badly.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #74
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the 300 loss of lives per year is all because people were going faster than safe to travel. I have seen many horrible head ons caused only by bad driving when a motorist crosses into the other lane, doesn't matter if your speeding or not a head on is always going to end badly.
How many deaths are truly "accidents"?? not many id suggest... only people having heart attacks etc would be classed as an "accident"...
There is a reason for all fatalities.

Excessive speed and alcohol seem to be highly represented as contributors in most road fatalities..

People need to remember excessive speed can be 80 in a 100 zone if the traffic or conditions make it unsafe.. too many morons think the posted limit is the compulsory speed for all conditions no matter what.

A fatality at 80kph in a 100 zone where that speed is far too fast for the conditions (i.e bumper to bumper traffic in fog and a huge rear-ender) is classified as having speed as a contributing factor...

Last edited by 4Vman; 05-03-2010 at 10:53 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #75
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How many deaths are truly "accidents"?? not many id suggest... only people having heart attacks etc would be classed as an "accident"...
There is a reason for all fatalities.

Excessive speed and alcohol seem to be highly represented as contributors in most road fatalities..

People need to remember excessive speed can be 80 in a 100 zone if the traffic or conditions make it unsafe.. too many morons think the posted limit is the compulsory speed for all conditions no matter what.

A fatality at 80kph in a 100 zone where that speed is far too fast for the conditions (i.e bumper to bumper traffic in fog and a huge rear-ender) is classified as having speed as a contributing factor...
You make a good point, I was just making the point that it isn't always speed that is the problem, but you are right speed and alcohol seem to be the main contribution.

The bigger question is what can we do about it? Road education doesnt seem to be working right? Loss of demerit points, fines etc. dont seem to be working.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #76
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You make a good point, I was just making the point that it isn't always speed that is the problem, but you are right speed and alcohol seem to be the main contribution.

The bigger question is what can we do about it? Road education doesnt seem to be working right? Loss of demerit points, fines etc. dont seem to be working.
No.. you are right.. speed isnt always the reason for a road fatality but not many people would die hitting a solid object at 50kph compared to 150kph...
So there is an undeniable relationship between "speed" and increased "risk"...

There is a time and place to travel at various speeds regarless of posted limits, being mature enough and experienced enough to pick the right time will be relatively safe, get it wrong or increase the risk and you are at the mercy of the gods..

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #77
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No.. you are right.. speed isnt always the reason for a road fatality but not many people would die hitting a solid object at 50kph compared to 150kph...
So there is an undeniable relationship between "speed" and increased "risk"...

There is a time and place to travel at various speeds regarless of posted limits, being mature enough and experienced enough to pick the right time will be relatively safe, get it wrong or increase the risk and you are at the mercy of the gods..
Agreed. It's all in the drivers attitude to the road.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #78
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed. It's all in the drivers attitude to the road.
CORRECT!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #79
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMZ
Now i know why i see interstate platted cars going slow. I thought they didn't know where they were going, ie looking for the right street.

Now i understand.
you got that right! i come down the hume hwy from sydney to attend the vic rounds of V8SC and once i hit the vic border i set my cruise control from my GPS and then lower the cruise control another 2k's!
i know it's a bit of overkill but then i have yet to receive a fine! :
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #80
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

1000 a year in the 60's/70's against 300 a year now considering the population growth is a massive amount.

It is actually hard to fathom. In those days it is a suprise that the news at 6pm didn't go for an hour just to deal with the fatalities for the day...

Amazing figures.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #81
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOG6
1000 a year in the 60's/70's against 300 a year now considering the population growth is a massive amount.

It is actually hard to fathom. In those days it is a suprise that the news at 6pm didn't go for an hour just to deal with the fatalities for the day...

Amazing figures.
Those are victorian figures though.. not national.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #82
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Those are victorian figures though.. not national.

As I said above they are amazing... no actually they are tragic figures. They aren't even figures either. They are people. Hard to fathom the loss of life.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #83
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yep we are by far the nanny state, the problem is they are "cotton wooling" everyone, they think for us, it won't be long before we may as well not leave the house and just stay in.
Revenue raising at its finest. and of course they will keep telling us that its cutting down the road toll, what because someone is a few KM's over, does the state government think we are all that stupid?
We need the money so we can afford to give free power the the Aluminium smelters and afford to build a desalination plant (along with future nuclear power plant next to it) to power the previously mentioned smelters. All for what point..... I'm not sure. But we need the money to do it anyway. "Victoria the state run by big companys"
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #84
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Hi all...

My girlfriend has just came back from a return drive to Melbourne - from Perth.

It was a good drive she reckons, until we received a speed camera fine yesterday.

The fine is $146.00 for doing 106km in a 100km zone. It was on Dadswells Bridge.

I cant believe the penalty for this! In W.A a patrol car will just flash it lights if you are over the limit by under 10km/h. And its only a $50 fine if done by a camera.

I'm surprised that you Victorians even have a licence at all with such harsh penalties! What would the fine be if she was doing over the 10km's???

A speed measuring device has a tolerance of -/+ 3km, according to Australian tests Ive read on the net. Add this 3km/h figure difference to a speedometer which could be out at least 4km/h and your done for speeding!

I cant believe you Victorians are even still on the road!!! - Poor Buggers.
That's where the rest of the country is at mate. At least the points don't transfer state to state anyway. As for the $50 bucks for 1 - 9kmh over in WA, as someone else said i think you'll find that it's up to $75. I know of a few people complaining lately that they got pinged and it was up to $75 now.

I moved to WA 2 years ago from Vic. Used to drive 150,000 - 200,000km a year and used to be hard work keeping points over east. I've been done for 83kmh in an 80 zone, which was crap, but thems the rules so you cop it on the chin. I've got a 4wd which is my weekender that has tyres 4 inches bigger than standard issue and it's my responsibility to know how it's affected my speedo. Speedo under reads by about 10kmh so i drive that off the gps speed to be safe. In my FG i know my speedo is spot on the money according to GPS. Get caught, it's my fault.

I also can't believe how many people in WA have radar detectors on their windscreens in plain view over here and don't get hassled.

When i was over in Vic over Christmas, we did a run up the Hume almost to the border. I could point out all the old up coming hide outs for the Hwy patrol from when i was in the truck, and sure enough, coppers in almost every one. The missus observed that driving in Victoria it almost feels like you're being hunted for your license points. Traffic is also generally a lot better behaved because the police presence is huge, and the cameras are everywhere.

It'll happen in Perth, there's too much money on offer for the government to knock back, but Perth's just a bit slow on the get go.

The one thing that is nice about being here is now i just drive. No looking over your shoulder and behind the bushes and bridges and signs all the time. No checking your speedo every 2 seconds to make sure you haven't rolled over speed, get to just concentrate on driving. Which is good because there are some rubbish drivers here! And 2 years on I've still got all of my points

:
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #85
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Radar detectors are legal in WA.

I hope that any Victorians who get a little too upset with interstate rivalry don't find that comment too offensive... I'd hate to offend
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #86
SVD

why to people thing Vic number plates are "Victoria...The Place to BE!" then of course in super small script you can't see without a magnifying glass... Fined. K THX for the cash
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #87
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is time that I revealed some amazing facts about driving in Victoria.

If you sit on the speed limit indicated by the signs and your spedo, don't drink and drive, stop at stop signs and red lights, stop at railway crossings, etc, etc you don't get any fines.

I have been driving that way for nigh on 15 years, it is amazing

Now I know some of you are amazed by that AND I do live in Victoria, and travel extensively through out this State, including a minimum of 2 trips per week to Melbourne.

And evern more of an astonishing fact, I haven't died after over 35 years of driving in Victoria , aven as a full time truck driver.

Amazing facts aren't they :
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #88
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I was just flicking through an old wheels magazine - July 1967, and came across an interesting article "The Suicidal Sixties" which lamented the introduction of blanket 60mph speed limits in NSW. NSW was one of the first states to introduce the blanket limit, with wheels predicting the other states will almost certainly follow suit - with the exception of Victoria, "which has firmly set its face against an outright speed limit"
Actually, NSW (thank you ALP) introduced an absolute 100km/h speed limit in July 78. This replaced NSW's speed derestriction (//) which for this state held 80km/h as a PRIMA FACIE maximum.

Up until that date, when passing a speed derestriction sign, one could legally exceed the prima facie 80km/h IF prevailing road, weather and vehicle conditions so warranted.

VIC had an absolute rural speed limit BEFORE NSW.

Quote:
Back then there was a "'driver onus' limit of 50mph, under which you may be charged with driving dangerously if doing more than that speed, and the onus is on you to prove you were driving safely", a situation which Victoria "considers ideal".
Where 50mph = to effect 80km/h.

Quote:
How things have changed!! Now from what I can tell Victoria is the most overpoliced state in the country for speed. Think I was born too late....
Yes and yes, but it is hard for governments to give up income streams, typically in administration, a states Auditor or AG's Dept yearly direct the road and police agencies to make-dollars or reduce exposure to outgoings.

Rem, MP's come and go, but the puplic servant employees are for life, perfect for 'agenda'.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #89
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think it is time that I revealed some amazing facts about driving in Victoria.

If you sit on the speed limit indicated by the signs and your spedo,
The problem with speed limit conditioning Big Trev is that it takes attention away from concentrating on driving in drivers less skilled than yourself. People will drive "up to" the speed limit even in conditions that dictate they shouldn't be (like blinding rain or poor sightlines) because "if they're within the speed limit everything is OK". Highway hypnosis is another factor. Speed limits induce a mentality that is the opposite of intelligent, focussed driving. I'm not saying they shouldn't exist but they should be guidelines, with say a 10% tolerance above and an expectation that driving will be below limit if circumstances are adverse.

I also understand that the great majority of road fatalities in Australia occur at or below the posted speed limit.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #90
SilentDave

Those road toll figures in the 70's were high and even 300 odd is way to many, just a few questions has anyone/group done a real comparison as to /100,000 population type figures just to compare(yes the vehicles have come a long way since then in terms of safety) and has anything been released as to causes, I would say a speed/alcohol/fatigue related accidents would be high but wrong time wrong place might also equate equally to.