Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Headlights on in the daytime
Yes 66 45.83%
No 78 54.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #61
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
We had a conversation on this subject at work a few months ago. I stated that id noticed that all cars with headlights on, during the trip home from work had sunglasses on, it was amusing to see that i was the only one that had noticed this occurance. lol.
It is true and you're quite right.
However I wear mine for the polarisation - just after rain on overcast days i'll have them on - because even though i won't be able to clearly read my dash (and hence i put my lights on) i will be able to see far clearer with my sunnies on than with them off because of the impressive glare cut they give. It makes me safe and cool all at the same time.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #62
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I travel highways with headlights on always. Cars in front seem to notice you more when you are coming up behind them in two laned roads and move over. Not always but moreso.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #63
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

I voted yes. Mainly on highway runs and cloudy days. Sometimes just my parkers. I think it makes it easier for others to see me. I must admit though, that I don't have them on every time.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #64
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

i voted no, only because I currently have a bright coloured car.

but when i had an ego coloured car i found people where turning in front me, or pulling out in front of me and I sensed they couldn't see (peripheraly speaking) me till the last minute.

so i did an experiment, i started driving my ego coloured car with headlights/parkers on and I felt people could see me well in advance.

I think it works and when I see a car with headlights/parkers on during the day it certainly gets my attention.

though like the post above me, I didn't do it all the time.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #65
xr6fa

Smile

I have mercury silver ba,when its gray and overcast i have my parkers on,because silver cars are harder to see on overcast days.
xr6fa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #66
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6fa
I have mercury silver ba,when its gray and overcast i have my parkers on,because silver cars are harder to see on overcast days.
On most overcast days I see silver cars, then a few seconds later I notice they have parkers on.

parkers Don't light up enough in rain. But at least it's better then nothing.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #67
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
On most overcast days I see silver cars, then a few seconds later I notice they have parkers on.

parkers Don't light up enough in rain. But at least it's better then nothing.
After reading two of your posts in a row, I cant help but point it out.

Its than, not then.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #68
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

After reading the posts on here, the many well worded responses and well thought out opinions and ideas, I found one thing quite interesting.

We basically have 3 groups here, the I don't have lights on it is your responsibility to look, the I have my lights on in rural/highway/bad conditions and the I have them on all the time groups.

What I find interesting is the idea that lights are not required for increased visibility in built up areas but they are in rural areas. Why is that? Is that common opinion a result of road safety campaigns that have put up signs on some of our highways? The facts are you are statistically more likely to be involved in an crash in an urban area and one of the leading causes of crashes is a failure to give way. Therefore I do not think that it is unreasonable to suggest that you are statistically more likely to be involved in a crash as a result of not being seen in an urban environment than in a rural area. So why turn your lights on on the highway, but not on the backstreets of suburbia where you are much more likely to have someone pull out in front of you?

Oh, and for all those that say "I have a bright coloured car, if you can't see it you should not drive". We have big vans with reflective fluro yellow and green candy striping all over them and will still have people pull out in front of us and then claim they did not see us. Added to that, I once had someone pull out in front of me in my citric acid XR8 because he did not see me (no I did not have lights on), I had a lady back into my bright yellow Mini because she did not see it. Interestingly I had no episodes of people pulling out in front of me (not really close calls anyway) in the lightning strike GT, perhaps that is because I knew it was a crap colour to see and I was more vigilant about having my lights on.

I think an interesting thing to do is ask every respondent to the poll when the last time they were involved in a crash. I wonder if the head light crew have a longer time frame between crashes than the no headlight crew? I normally drive with my headlights on (I sometimes forget on the typhoon, the Mini are never off) and I have not had a crash in 16 years.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #69
exdubbleya

I remember when I was younger my father cursing at Volvos (DL240?) – “Another bloody Volvo driver with their lights on in the day!”

I think we found out later that’s just the way they were – daytime running lights in the 80’s. Those ingenious Swede’s.
exdubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #70
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Ever since a friend of the family had his Red 1963 Cadillac written off becuase the lady in the pulsar 'didn't see it' i've laughed off the notion that bright coloured cars are always obvious to all people.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #71
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Typing fingers working before brain eh?

Do you feel better now you've had your little dig can you now live with yourself another day?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #72
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
as for round town, mine stay on auto, unless its poor conditions (rain) and then i turn them on. at least with the fg you can adjust how early they come on and how late they turn off.
wish you could adjust the sensitivity on BF's. I find that if I'm driving at dusk with the lights on auto, most other people will have their lights on before mine decide to kick in.

My VE work car has the lights left "on". afaik commodore's have had an auto-off function on the headlights for years, instead of Ford's beeper system. Switch in the commo never gets touched. on when you start up, off when you get out... Ford should do that I reckon
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #73
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Ever since a friend of the family had his Red 1963 Cadillac written off becuase the lady in the pulsar 'didn't see it' i've laughed off the notion that bright coloured cars are always obvious to all people.
From the way his boys described it, "The Otley" was lucky to walk away from that. T-Boned him didn't she?

All our QG cars (Queensland Gov.) have their lights set to "AUTO" in the commodores, not sure about the rest of the makes and models but I always drive with them on, especially because it's not my car and I don't particularly want to waste tax payers money (yes there are considerate gov. workers out there )
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #74
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

And another thing I have noticed now ... and probably another reason to actually save globe costs over time ... is that emergency vehicles here in NSW (ambulances especially) are now running LED DRLs.

I actually find them more distinct than a lower Kelvin low beam coloured Halogen headlight ... makes it easier for the eye to spot.

With the amount of boneheads in Sydney that swap lanes without care ... I'd hazard a guess that may be why the NSW Ambulance Service is running them. They may have had a spate of minor accidents where (even bright coloured/slab sided) ambulances have been involved in minor altercations due to careless (ie: blind) drivers.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #75
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
From the way his boys described it, "The Otley" was lucky to walk away from that. T-Boned him didn't she?

All our QG cars (Queensland Gov.) have their lights set to "AUTO" in the commodores, not sure about the rest of the makes and models but I always drive with them on, especially because it's not my car and I don't particularly want to waste tax payers money (yes there are considerate gov. workers out there )
More like it is too much paperwork.

I know the commodore and subaru vehicles do not have the headlights hard wired but both those have lights that switch off when the engine stops so I leave the switch on. Why can't Ford have that instead of a stupid beeper?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #76
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Highway - Yes
Overcast/Rainy - Yes
In town when its sunny - No
So I ticked yes.
Same here....
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #77
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

I know the commodore and subaru vehicles do not have the headlights hard wired but both those have lights that switch off when the engine stops so I leave the switch on. Why can't Ford have that instead of a stupid beeper?
See ... this is something that Ford are not uniform with across the range on their vehicles.

My 04 Territory does not have auto lights .... BUT ... if i leave the lights in the on position and turn it off, get out, and arm the vehicle ... lights turn off.

Not the same with my BFII ute though ... just the beeper ... although that has the Auto option ... and it will eventually turn off (when Auto is selected) after the car is armed (about 15 seconds later though).
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #78
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Headlights are on all the time, used to drive without them on but people do see you coming a lot sooner if you have them on.
Same here , probably why i keep replacing bulbs every few months ?
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

Not the same with my BFII ute though ... just the beeper ... although that has the Auto option ... and it will eventually turn off (when Auto is selected) after the car is armed (about 15 seconds later though).
It will in auto but not with the switch in the on position. I find it so annoying having to turn the switch off all the time when nearly every other car I ever drive has the brains to turn the lights off itself rather than just crying about it.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #80
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
wish you could adjust the sensitivity on BF's. I find that if I'm driving at dusk with the lights on auto, most other people will have their lights on before mine decide to kick in.
+1...i notice that all the time
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #81
hiper
[HIPER-8]

Quote:
It will in auto but not with the switch in the on position. I find it so annoying having to turn the switch off all the time when nearly every other car I ever drive has the brains to turn the lights off itself rather than just crying about it.
im half tempted to find a decent way to force the auto lights to stay on.
but covering the sensor with tape seems a little tacky and i hate having stuff on the dash reflecting back up at the windscreen.

Ford have the "Lights On" feature available for FGs
it cant be too hard to adapt for the BFs.. surely
1994 EF Fairmont Cardinal Red
hiper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #82
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

They had the module for the BA/BF as well ... Telstra used it.
So it should be available.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #83
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
LOL! Hadn't even thought about that, there would be mountains wouldn't there Internal Audit would have a field day
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #84
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I was just out driving in the rain before and the amount of people without their lights on was staggering.

I agree with this. Any measure I can take, no matter how minuscule, to reduce the chances of a car crash, I will take it.
I doubt that you're chauffeured by a middleaged woman named Margaret who is a Libran in a white Golf. You should also pack on the kgs to ensure you survive the inevitable.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #85
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
I think an interesting thing to do is ask every respondent to the poll when the last time they were involved in a crash. I wonder if the head light crew have a longer time frame between crashes than the no headlight crew? I normally drive with my headlights on (I sometimes forget on the typhoon, the Mini are never off) and I have not had a crash in 16 years.
I'll take that challenge -

Lights, when used?
on all the time,
Date of Last accident?
22 November, 1988 (22 years)
Scenario?
New nissan Patrol rear ended my 1963 Mini "...didn't think yould stop for the light mate."

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #86
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very well written post mate, rep added. I have always worked in a field that has required me to do huge klms p\y.
In the last 10 yrs I would have racked up at least 2.5 million klms (conservative estimate) and with the exception of wild life, 1 accident that
was entirely my fault (rear ended someone) and 1 accident where I got rear ended I haven't had any other accidents in that time frame.
I might also add that most of the klms I traveled were in urban areas and as I stated before my lights are always on
regardless of what I am driving.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #87
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

headlights on always in rural areas as thats where I spend most of my time. When family and friends visit us out here I always remind them 'headlights on', its something I take very seriously as I genuinely think it makes you much more visible.

In SA they have roadsigns on some rural roads saying 'Headlights On, 24 hours'. I would like to see these signs on more rural roads around the country.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #88
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Do you feel better now you've had your little dig can you now live with yourself another day?
Yes, but have a think before you type.

As for using headlights vs having a crash, ive never had one, always used headlights
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #89
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
And another thing I have noticed now ... and probably another reason to actually save globe costs over time ... is that emergency vehicles here in NSW (ambulances especially) are now running LED DRLs.

I actually find them more distinct than a lower Kelvin low beam coloured Halogen headlight ... makes it easier for the eye to spot.

With the amount of boneheads in Sydney that swap lanes without care ... I'd hazard a guess that may be why the NSW Ambulance Service is running them. They may have had a spate of minor accidents where (even bright coloured/slab sided) ambulances have been involved in minor altercations due to careless (ie: blind) drivers.
I am sure they have, we have had a few this year just in the Brisbane area. The last I remember was a government bus that hit an ambulance because apparently he did not see it. I think you will find more emergency vehicles will gain DRL as they are replaced.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #90
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
;I
think an interesting thing to do is ask every respondent to the poll when the last time they were involved in a crash. I wonder if the head light crew have a longer time frame between crashes than the no headlight crew? I normally drive with my headlights on (I sometimes forget on the typhoon, the Mini are never off) and I have not had a crash in 16 years.

I drive with headlights off during the day (except for heavy rain/fog).

Never had an accident in 23 years driving.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post