Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #61
v gate

Default Re: Mathematical equations, physics buffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I got a duck...
as far as i can tell your way ahead with the duck.
everyone knows chickens suck at flying.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #62
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
Ok, here's one. One of my questions that I've just thought about for a while.

Going on the speed of light stuff.

If I look with a large Telescope at a star, do I gain an advantage on seeing the light before it hits earth?
No. The telescope is gathering light just as your retina is. The light has to reach the telescope before you can resolve an image using a telescope. Depending on how it resolves light, it may take longer than viewing the object with the naked eye - but that amount of time would be so small it would be insignificant.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #63
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The sound comes from the point where the aircraft is at the time the sound is made so it is always coming from the aircraft.

All that happens is that if the aircraft is travelling towards you it will get to you before you hear it coming.

If it were travelling at the speed of light it would get to you before you could see it coming.

It only appears to come from behind because in the time it takes for the sound to get to you the aircraft has move from the point where the sound was made. This is not just a phenomon of supersonic travel.

Watch a V8 supercar race in real life standing back a few hundred metres from the track. Close your eyes. Listen for the cars and then open your eyes to look at them. They will not be where you are looking rather they will be further down the track.

In your original question the sound would only appear "2 hours" the behind the aircraft if you were observing it from a point that is "1 hour" from where the aircraft was when it made the sound.
That's a hard concept to grasp. but thanks . it doesn't seem to be relative to physics . because we all know something traveling faster than something else is pulling further away from it at all times . i guess in comparison of the distance the sound travels from the craft is what comes into play here .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #64
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Correct. It's not (theoretically) possible for an object with mass to hit light speed. If you were to get to that speed, then you (the object) would have infinite mass. You would also, I think, be the size of the universe.

If, however, you can find a way to reduce your mass to zero (ie, have no weight whatsoever), then I think you could achieve light speed.
Glad you agree - And do you know the best polish for getting the light stains off the side of my car ? Used to be a real problem on my Chrysler by Chrysler - I had 800w coming out the front and the light used to get blown back along the sides of the car on the porous paint - It was sooo much harder than polishing the Grasshoppers and Datsuns off the chrome.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #65
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
That's a hard concept to grasp. but thanks . it doesn't seem to be relative to physics . because we all know something traveling faster than something else is pulling further away from it at all times . i guess in comparison of the distance the sound travels from the craft is what comes into play here .
Get 2 people to stand 100 meters apart. Quietly whisper in their direction. Measure how long it takes for that sound to reach them. Oh, didn't reach them? Sound dissipates the further it travels.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #66
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Glad you agree - And do you know the best polish for getting the light stains off the side of my car ? Used to be a real problem on my Chrysler by Chrysler - I had 800w coming out the front and the light used to get blown back along the sides of the car on the porous paint - It was sooo much harder than polishing the Grasshoppers and Datsuns off the chrome.
Get a small quantum singularity and VERY carefully drag it parallel to the sides of your Chrysler. Don't get too close, or it'll suck the paint off the car, and maybe the doors as well.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #67
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone answer this conundrum

If you had access to a time machine would it be possible to go back in time and kill your parents or grandparents?
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #68
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Can anyone answer this conundrum

If you had access to a time machine would it be possible to go back in time and kill your parents or grandparents?
Yes, but you will potentially disappear, alah Back to the Future...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #69
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, but you will potentially disappear, alah Back to the Future...
BUT.....if you went back in time before you were born, and killed your parents how on earth could you be alive to do it in the first place, let alone even concieve to do it?
Old 18-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #70
My32Doors

I can see the moon
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #71
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonfun
I can see the moon
Apparently you can see the moon from the great wall of China
Old 18-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #72
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
BUT.....if you went back in time before you were born, and killed your parents how on earth could you be alive to do it in the first place, let alone even concieve to do it?
Hrmmm...well, if there's a time-space continium, and the stars are aligned in the right position...you could only do it once...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 18-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #73
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My input:

Discuss
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #74
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hrmmm...well, if there's a time-space continium, and the stars are aligned in the right position...you could only do it once...
What law would stop you doing it anytime though? Obviously its a hypothetical question and we can never go back in time, but what if, what weird consequences would happen.
Old 18-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #75
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What law would stop you doing it anytime though? Obviously its a hypothetical question and we can never go back in time, but what if, what weird consequences would happen.
Technically you could go back in time and possibly become your own grandfather, if you believe Futurama (although there is a possibility you would have a 'missing link'.

As far as laws go, it depends which movie you base it on - Time cop, Terminator, BTF, etc.

The general concensus is that if time travel were possible, the people from the future would be coming back to tell us we're doing the wrong thing.

My partner is trying to explain this to me (his interpretation)...and he's confusing the crap outta me...so I'm going to stop now (as confusion at this hour is not hard)...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 18-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #76
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I was saying Sez (who didn't understand what I was trying to say) At the point at which a time machine is constructed is the point that time is no longer linear, it will be the 'start' marker, You wont be able to go back further and un-invent the machine. All that is and ever will be will happen in an instant.

I don't believe time travel is possible but; Oranges.....think about it.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #77
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
What I was saying Sez (who didn't understand what I was trying to say) At the point at which a time machine is constructed is the point that time is no longer linear, it will be the 'start' marker, You wont be able to go back further and un-invent the machine. All that is and ever will be will happen in an instant.

I don't believe time travel is possible but; Oranges.....think about it.
***whispers*** - I understood, I just tuned out...happens quite regularly under this roof, remember?

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 19-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #78
bafel

Quote:
The general concensus is that if time travel were possible, the people from the future would be coming back to tell us we're doing the wrong thing.
Basically, we wont invent it , people that are in the future will, then bam one day it will just appear out of nowhere, probably a phone box, with a guy called Rufus inside it.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #79
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Time travel as we see it in the movies is impossible. Think about it. How would you go backwards to something that has already occured? Or to something that has not even happened yet. How can you go to the future? It is a non occurence. The past has happened, so you can't go there.
However, time is a wierd thing. You can, in theory, travel in such a way that you will age very little and others will age faster. Can anyone explain why? I already know, who else does?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #80
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Time travel as we see it in the movies is impossible. Think about it. How would you go backwards to something that has already occured? Or to something that has not even happened yet. How can you go to the future? It is a non occurence. The past has happened, so you can't go there.
However, time is a wierd thing. You can, in theory, travel in such a way that you will age very little and others will age faster. Can anyone explain why? I already know, who else does?
Can you explain the operation of a mobile phone in Latin?

Or would Romans think such things were impossible......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #81
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is it to do with travelling at the speed of light? I think it's to do with someone travelling at the speed of light experiences very little ageing, whilst everyone else would age normal?
Old 19-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #82
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Sorry flap you have truly lost me?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #83
LXL15

Quote:
I do also I think I remember reading an article about some sort of quantum experiment that basically suggested (in fact the author said it) that if we were to travel back in time things would always occur so that the present we travelled from would remain unchanged. Sort of like those movies where someone tries to avoid a future described to them but everything they do leads to the future happening as described.

Ps someone quoted me I feel important and included now...
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #84
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
?!?! The general consensus of whom?

Look at it two ways;

If a time travel machine existed - how could it travel back into a time where it didn't exist?

If a time travel machine can travel back into time where it didn't exist - then a time travel machine now exists.
Old 19-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #85
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
?!?! The general consensus of whom?

Look at it two ways;

If a time travel machine existed - how could it travel back into a time where it didn't exist?

If a time travel machine can travel back into time where it didn't exist - then a time travel machine now exists.
I have it - it will only go forward though - at about 24hrs per day
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #86
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
I said I'd start one!
general maths problems, equations, formulae, discussion on maths education methods, etc.
Physics equations, space time theories, Einstein etc. There's got to be some people interested and educated in this stuff. Graphs and other instruments encouraged to be posted!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #87
Jesmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88

Case in point. A medium loaded B767-300 has a takeoff speed (v2) of 150knots (roughly), so call it 172 mph. So if you pull the conveyor belt along at 172mph but apply thrust for takeoff than the 767 will take off...but the wheel speed is 2 x 172mph....Problem. Maximum tyre speed for a 767 is perhaps 190mph. Certainly i dont' know of any airliner tyre with greater than 210mph before it pops.

So in that test you'd pop all your tyres pretty quick and then assuming the rims dug into your mystical converyor belt than the takeoff would most likely never happen. These sorts of things just play on your perceptions...look at it critically and it all comes out in the wash...
Now there's a flaw in this logic. The scale argument cant be restricted to just the tyres. Sure there's an issue with maximum tyre speed, but there's an even bigger issue with building a conveyor that could hold a 767 and run at 172mph, therefore you could even do the experiment
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #88
Scott

If time travel were possible, it would mean that the lives we know and live are predetermined. It would also mean that if Climate Change were a big issue in the future, our future selves would have come back to fix it.

So, are the people spruiking Climate Change here from the future to try and help us save the planet, or are those opposed to the idea of it here to try and save us from giving control of the world to a crazy few?

My head won't expand far enough to fathom anything more than looking back in time, and even that is monumentally difficult to comprehend in a meaningful way.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #89
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
So, are the people spruiking Climate Change here from the future to try and help us save the planet, or are those opposed to the idea of it here to try and save us from giving control of the world to a crazy few?
I think they are actually an alien race of read headed amazonian women...
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #90
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry flap you have truly lost me?
Just because we think something is impossible and can demonstrate totally unassailable proof to support our position does not make it true.

All it means is that we cannot understand how it could be true.

This has two possible outcomes.

1) It is not true.
2) It is true but we do not understand it (yet).

A closed mind will never discover anything new........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post