Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #61
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: SA Police starts crushing cars :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Oh and jailing these knobs won't help. We pay for their holiday, so why should we be punished as well? Public flogging sounds like the way to go.
What are we, savages?
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #62
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik6
I beleive only one car that was crushed was releated to 'Hoon' driving.
The rest were multiple offences of drink driving & driving while unregistered/insured etc.
BOLD!!! People..this isnt a one off. I agree, we all have the ability to stuff up, but if you continue then you obviously have an issue with addressing this and dont give a stuff about others so you get what you deserve.

If the car is under finance then bad luck, continue paying it off with no car.

You stuff up you take responsibility.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #63
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
BOLD!!! People..this isnt a one off. I agree, we all have the ability to stuff up, but if you continue then you obviously have an issue with addressing this and dont give a stuff about others so you get what you deserve.

If the car is under finance then bad luck, continue paying it off with no car.

You stuff up you take responsibility.
And if our public servants and politicians did that then maybe the rest of us might follow.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Been on a 110kmh freeway and once sailed right through a 40kmh roadwork zone without realising it as there was no activity and it was late at night, thats 70kmh over the limit! Lucky no police. Many otherwise law-abiding people can end up a "hoon" through innocent mistakes - not deliberate hoonish behaviour.

I think courts should decide things like impounding or crushing, Ive always hated minimum sentencing or 'three strikes' rules as every situation and person is different. Courts are best placed to make these kind of decisions by looking at the facts and the circumstances of each breach.
A workmate got done just like that, except it was at night, he didn't notice the 40 sign and got done for 100 in a 40 zone, cya license, car impounded, and a day in front of the magistrate.

Then there was the other apprentice, who got done knowlingly doing 90km/h in a school zone LOL, and they didn't even impound his car, just lost his license for 8 months.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #65
z80
Banned

There are ways to not get your car crushed.

It's all about who owns the car.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #66
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And if our public servants and politicians did that then maybe the rest of us might follow.
One would hope so?
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #67
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
What are we, savages?

Without going to far off topic, what should we do with morons like these then? The ones that made the paper, having their cars crushed, obviously have no regards for the law. Getting pinged numerous times, being p1ssed, unlicenced, driving unregoed cars, excessive speed, driving disqualified. They weren't just 3 strikers. They had numerous convictions for these offenses.

So love to hear what you'd suggest to do with morons like them

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #68
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

No one deserves to get beaten for any traffic offence. Crushing people's cars is wrong. There are more things that can be done against these people than just crushing their car. People who do these types of offences are smashing around in a few thousand dollar PoS and when crushed will just go buy another PoS.

Take their licences off them and don't give them back. Harsher penalties for driving unlicenced. There are more dangerous people on the road other than hoons.
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #69
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Without going to far off topic, what should we do with morons like these then? The ones that made the paper, having their cars crushed, obviously have no regards for the law. Getting pinged numerous times, being p1ssed, unlicenced, driving unregoed cars, excessive speed, driving disqualified. They weren't just 3 strikers. They had numerous convictions for these offenses.

So love to hear what you'd suggest to do with morons like them
I prefer more positive solutions - making them work with those disabled in road traffic accidents: taking them out for a day trip on the bus, cleaning their houses, feeding the really disabled, mowing their lawns, walk their dog. That way they might be able to make a connection between what they are doing and the outcome when things go wrong.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #70
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Take their licences off them and don't give them back. Harsher penalties for driving unlicenced.
how do you take the licence off someone who is already unlicenced?

Quote:
There are more dangerous people on the road other than hoons.
which is why hoons account for only a minor number of confiscated cars. most are unlicenced and drink driving related.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #71
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I prefer more positive solutions - making them work with those disabled in road traffic accidents: taking them out for a day trip on the bus, cleaning their houses, feeding the really disabled, mowing their lawns, walk their dog. That way they might be able to make a connection between what they are doing and the outcome when things go wrong.
dunno what the answer is, i like your idea and it may work on a lot of people, but there will always be some people going down a set path where no amount of shocking or car crushing will change their actions, unfortunately we know where they will end up or a victim/s of theirs will end up, it seems some cannot change unless the consequences are dire and by then it`s too late.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #72
punty

Quote:
now this^^^ is what the rta/government/police should be implementing! even if they dont learn their lesson, they will at least be helping the community in some way... i swear, sometimes the people in charge are like children. they just want to break something...
punty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #73
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
dunno what the answer is, i like your idea and it may work on a lot of people, but there will always be some people going down a set path where no amount of shocking or car crushing will change their actions, unfortunately we know where they will end up or a victim/s of theirs will end up, it seems some cannot change unless the consequences are dire and by then it`s too late.
There used to be a HUGE problem with skateboarders/skaters/bmx kids on the roads, footpaths and in shopping centres etc.

No amount of penalties would ever have made any difference as the kids want to play and that was the only place available.

So all of a sudden there were skate parks built all over the place and what do you know, the problem almost disappeared over night.

How about if there were lots of "moto parks" with a 800m long strip and some sort of circuit and maybe some dirt or whatever where there were no speed limits or hoon laws.

Of course the instant reply from the nanny state zealots is "but we have Heathcote/WSID/Willowbank and there are still hoons" as they as usual have now idea about anything other than what they read on the internet.

The current sites are formal professional arenas with expensive infastructure and professional users not play areas.
You would not send the BMX kids to a professional BMX track to play they would just damage it.

When I was young we have several "race tracks" on private properties where we went silly quite often and strangely there was really never a problem in town with "hooning". Coppers knew about it and provided we stayed off the roads they did not care what we did which included drinking (in an era before light beer). Note to zealots: please don't fixate on the drinking, we also used to shoot with automatic weapons, hunt feral animals, light fires and camp overnight without any licenses or permits whatsoever but that was then not now.

So if every town had at least one and maybe several "play areas" possibly there would be less of an issue.

There are only two potential problems I can see:
1) This will cost money and save lives NOT make money.
2) This will involve several people who are used to their every command being obeyed without question actually backing off and admitting their agenda is not working.

Both of these things are not the way govco works.....
Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There is a lot of vacant land out where I live, thousands of acres, I reckon a dirt racetrack would be alright.

There is also 3 dirt airfields within 30km aswell, I'm going to find out if they will let us drive on them.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #75
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On the subject of cars being under finance and getting it crushed. There was a write up in Adelaides Advertiser about this topic (along with what the owners of the crushed cars got upto) and it stated that the courts can order them crushed and stiff bikkies to the owner of the car.
All the article stated was this:"Finance companies owed money by the owner of a forfeited car can put a case to the magistrate to have part proceeds from a vehicle sale"
Police "hope" offenders will learn the lesson and do the right thing in the future. So I guess even the Police know crushing cars wont be enough for some offenders.Police have crushed eight cars since November last year and Assistant Commissioner (Operations Support Services) Tony Harrison said authorities would continue to impound and, when applicable, crush the cars and cancel the licences of repeat dangerous drivers.
He said it was a "disgrace" that police were on track to impound 8000 vehicles this year.
"It's about taking the tools of the trade away from people who continually do the wrong thing on the roads," he said.
"In each of these cases we've seen, people have a total disregard in relation to road safety and abiding by the road rules.
"I don't think there's any bolder statement (than to crush their cars).
"I only hope they consider the future ... if they do get a driver's licence back, doing the right thing."
SA courts have forfeited 96 vehicles since February 2010 and 56 were auctioned while two were returned to their owner by court order.
Police Commissioner Mal Hyde has discretion to decide which cars are crushed.
Money collected by the state goes to the Victims of Crime fund.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #76
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There used to be a HUGE problem with skateboarders/skaters/bmx kids on the roads, footpaths and in shopping centres etc.

No amount of penalties would ever have made any difference as the kids want to play and that was the only place available.

So all of a sudden there were skate parks built all over the place and what do you know, the problem almost disappeared over night.

How about if there were lots of "moto parks" with a 800m long strip and some sort of circuit and maybe some dirt or whatever where there were no speed limits or hoon laws.

Of course the instant reply from the nanny state zealots is "but we have Heathcote/WSID/Willowbank and there are still hoons" as they as usual have now idea about anything other than what they read on the internet.

The current sites are formal professional arenas with expensive infastructure and professional users not play areas.
You would not send the BMX kids to a professional BMX track to play they would just damage it.

When I was young we have several "race tracks" on private properties where we went silly quite often and strangely there was really never a problem in town with "hooning". Coppers knew about it and provided we stayed off the roads they did not care what we did which included drinking (in an era before light beer). Note to zealots: please don't fixate on the drinking, we also used to shoot with automatic weapons, hunt feral animals, light fires and camp overnight without any licenses or permits whatsoever but that was then not now.

So if every town had at least one and maybe several "play areas" possibly there would be less of an issue.

2) This will involve several people who are used to their every command being obeyed without question actually backing off and admitting their agenda is not working.

I agree with your sentiment, however the biggest hurdle to overcome is actually liability insurance. If someone sets one of these things up, then they are held responsible for whatever goes on, including injuries. Unfortunately, govco will run a mile and their risk assessors will win. Hence the cotton wool parks with nothing even remotely exciting...
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 12-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #77
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cant you sign a waver?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #78
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cant you sign a waver?
You can't sign a waiver that removes rights that are enshrined in law, so effectively it means zippo.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #79
punty

Quote:
Cant you sign a waver?
i agree. couldnt you just sign a waver or have an automatically assumed responsibility to not hold the track responsible? kids who ride in skate parks dont sue the council because of their injuries and its not like a track can garuntee safety :P
punty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #80
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:

spot on!

lets all take our cars to the skate parks
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #81
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
You can't sign a waiver that removes rights that are enshrined in law, so effectively it means zippo.
So whats the difference between this waiver (waver..LOL ) and the ones we sign when we play paintball or go bungee jumping?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #82
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So whats the difference between this waiver (waver..LOL ) and the ones we sign when we play paintball or go bungee jumping?
Honestly - i have no idea! In the medical arena, there are certain areas that you cannot waive, such as informed consent, negligence, research ethics etc.
In terms of the above examples, if the rope was not properly secured because they had a new boy operating the jump and the company had not properly trained him, then the waiver is null and void - ie they will have the right to prosecute and sue.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #83
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree with your sentiment, however the biggest hurdle to overcome is actually liability insurance. If someone sets one of these things up, then they are held responsible for whatever goes on, including injuries. Unfortunately, govco will run a mile and their risk assessors will win. Hence the cotton wool parks with nothing even remotely exciting...
So change the law to cover this.

It has been done a gazillion times for everything else.

The problem is mentality. To make the parks they must agree that "hooning" per se is not an anti-social or criminal act. And they don't like saying they were wrong.

To quote a similar situation:
40 years ago being gay was a criminal activity with extreme penalties (100 years ago it was death).
30 years ago it was decriminalised but frowned upon.
20 years ago it was tolarated
10 years ago it was accepted as a part of the community.
Today it is almost considered as just a description like blonde, brunette, tall, short, fat, thin or holden owner.

In saying this while the greater community accept that some people are gay it is still illegal for them to marry as in order to change that law govco would have to admit that previously they may have been wrong........

And that is ALWAYS the problem....
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #84
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

flappist, 30 t0 40 years ago there were crews who went out looking for homosexuals in order to flog the daylights out of them. Some homosexuals (usually males) were killed. Not a lot was done about it. Now, if you say anything negative about them, you are a "homophobe" ie you are scared of them! I agree with you that the times are a'changin', but for better or worse? It seems to me that what was bad is now "good" and vice versa.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #85
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
how do you take the licence off someone who is already unlicenced?

You got that right. It's obvious KABLE72 didn't read the thread properly, or it was just an oversite.

Either way, they can't take something away these morons don't have.

And public floggings are still high on my list of punishments to dish out. Problem these days is, everyone is getting soft. Once upon a time, the local copper could give you a swiftie up the backside, if you mis-behaved. Now, they do that, and they're totally stuffed. No wonder things are turning to crap.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #86
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happens if it's under finance? Same thing that happens if you write it off under finance...you keep paying for it until it's paid off.

As for "it's your property and they have no right"...I think many people are still under the mistaken idea that we have "rights" ingrained or enshrined in law in this country. We don't.
We have whatever "rights" the goverment of the day allows us to have.
Look at how the government can walk in and resume your house and land for whatever government project they want to do...there's no defence, and none of this "I'll refuse to leave...i'll demand a million dollars!". Really? No you won't...refuse to leave, you get dragged out by The Plod. And they only have to offer you "fair market value". It's a case of "take the cheque and bugger off", no matter how long you and your family has lived there...we see it all the time.

Same with cars. We only keep them and drive them as they are now depending on whatever rights we are allowed to have. We are one stroke of a beaurocratic pen away from speed limiters, bans on certain vehicles, and bans on cars older than five or ten or whatever years old. All these are ideas that some bright spark brings up every few years, and they'll rear their ugly head again. Example? Go back 20 years and tell someone that one day soon they'll ban learner drivers and P-platers from driving turbos and V8's, and you'd have been laughed at...maybe the reply would be "Well they might...but people won't stand for it"...sure they won't...

Confiscated and crushed for repeated hooning? We're lucky they don't decide to get hard (in the name of safety) and confiscate and crush anyones car who does whatever they deem to be "dangerous" at the time...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 12-10-2011 at 08:12 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #87
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These drivers who had their cars crushed learned squat, WHY ???? because ALL of the cars have been forfeited to SAPOL for failure to pay impound fees and failure to collect the vehicle after the prescribed time.

It's just another SAPOL PR stunt. Bad Cars !!!!!

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #88
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
What happens if it's under finance? Same thing that happens if you write it off under finance...you keep paying for it until it's paid off.

I think the thing people are forgetting here, is they don't own the car under finance. The finance company does, until that final cent is paid.

So if the car gets crushed when it's under finance, yes they still have to finish paying for it. (The same as if the car was repossessed)

Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #89
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So change the law to cover this.

It has been done a gazillion times for everything else.

The problem is mentality. To make the parks they must agree that "hooning" per se is not an anti-social or criminal act. And they don't like saying they were wrong.

To quote a similar situation:
40 years ago being gay was a criminal activity with extreme penalties (100 years ago it was death).
30 years ago it was decriminalised but frowned upon.
20 years ago it was tolarated
10 years ago it was accepted as a part of the community.
Today it is almost considered as just a description like blonde, brunette, tall, short, fat, thin or holden owner.

In saying this while the greater community accept that some people are gay it is still illegal for them to marry as in order to change that law govco would have to admit that previously they may have been wrong........

And that is ALWAYS the problem....
You realise the ultimate step is to make it compulsory.....
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

People complain about losing their cars to the government and how its your property, it equals a massive fine blah blah blah.

Show them your pill press and see what happenes, cya later pill press, house, all your assets under the proceeds of crime act and you'll be chillin' with the big black dude in jail.

What about David Hicks? The government is trying to take everything from him under the proceeds of crime because he's selling a book about what happened in Cuba.