Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Higher speed limits in QLD (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike GT
It will not matter what the speed limit is set at
There will be the ones that will always drive at warp speed - ducking and weaving between the cars - usually a p plate in a small hatchback
There will always be the dip in the right lane on a multi lane road thinking it is his god given right to stay there no matter what staying under the posted speed limit

Queenslanders or Aussies in fact are really pig headed , arrogant in thier driving attitude compared to the rest of the modern world where they think that whole piece of black top is theirs and theirs only and stuff any one else

It will never happen in QLD 125 kmh
You mean like there will never be a carbon tax and never be a GST?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #62
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike GT
It will not matter what the speed limit is set at
There will be the ones that will always drive at warp speed - ducking and weaving between the cars - usually a p plate in a small hatchback
There will always be the dip in the right lane on a multi lane road thinking it is his god given right to stay there no matter what staying under the posted speed limit

Queenslanders or Aussies in fact are really pig headed , arrogant in thier driving attitude compared to the rest of the modern world where they think that whole piece of black top is theirs and theirs only and stuff any one else

It will never happen in QLD 125 kmh

You are kidding? Have you driven in Europe, Asia or North America? Try crossing at a pedestrian crossing in India - cars will drive into you.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #63
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I travel them quite a lot and never seem to have trouble going quickly except during the short morning and afternoon peak hours close to the city.

The hundreds of thousands although probably MILLIONS of people who have had speed camera tickets on those roads may disagree with you as well.

Dreams are where all good things start, nightmares are when you give up trying to make things better.
Crickey, you complain about the road users up your way and on the Bruce Hwy "all the time".

Driving at 110km/hr on the M1 or 80-90-100km/hr on the Western Freeway or 100-110km/hr on the Bruce for a reasonable distance , it can not be done. There is always some jerk, there is always some truck not driving properly.

Have you ever thought to ask yourself, if it was as easy as you or Bob seem to think it is, then wouldn't other people implement 125km/hr (or is it just another do-gooder conspiracy?)

Did you ever consider the consequences of rain and slippery conditions, perhaps having a speed limit of 125km/hr might be problematic?

So until such time as there is a total ban on imbecile drivers and a significant reduction in congestion, and a host of other factors, 125km/hr is just more smoke being blown out the proverbial...

P.S. Have you ever thought of a career in politics, Bob could probably use your help.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #64
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
You are kidding? Have you driven in Europe, Asia or North America? Try crossing at a pedestrian crossing in India - cars will drive into you.
Europe Yep been there (England, France, Germany, Italy and up to Denmark) - faster better and they are a bit more courteous and keep to the slow lanes when not doing the limit and it is heavily Policed - different lanes different limits in some countries
Asia - nope never been there
Nth America - yep I put it down to the same as Europe with out the Police presence - liberal gun laws so you behave
India - nope we have the crossing in Queen St in Brisbane for that
It is a bit daunting at a higher speed but you get use to it - out and around and back in and keep going even the people I was with commented on the good nature of the road users over there

Quote:
You mean like there will never be a carbon tax and never be a GST?
Yes but the 125 is suppose to help people - the other 2 just shafted us
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #65
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Agree mate, I've lived in South America before and spent some time travelling, and as much as we complain, I have never come across a country where they drive better than they do here.

And I actually have a scar next to my eye of where I got hit by a speeding driver in Chile.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Crickey, you complain about the road users up your way and on the Bruce Hwy "all the time".

Driving at 110km/hr on the M1 or 80-90-100km/hr on the Western Freeway or 100-110km/hr on the Bruce for a reasonable distance , it can not be done. There is always some jerk, there is always some truck not driving properly.

Have you ever thought to ask yourself, if it was as easy as you or Bob seem to think it is, then wouldn't other people implement 125km/hr (or is it just another do-gooder conspiracy?)

Did you ever consider the consequences of rain and slippery conditions, perhaps having a speed limit of 125km/hr might be problematic?

So until such time as there is a total ban on imbecile drivers and a significant reduction in congestion, and a host of other factors, 125km/hr is just more smoke being blown out the proverbial...

P.S. Have you ever thought of a career in politics, Bob could probably use your help.
1) "My way" is 150km north of the freeway.

2) Are you saying that where ever YOU drive there is a jerk not driving properly? Hmmm.....

3) Ah you mean like the 130km/h limits in NT and the 130 limits in QLD that have only been "temporarily" reduced to 110 until the emergency vehicle U turns issue is resloved?

4) 125 limit does not mean you have to do 125, when you got your license part of the testing was to find out if you had enough brains to work out when conditions were unsafe for a particular speed.

5) So you are now going to use public transport? See answer 2.

6) How do you know he does not already have it?

Looking forward to Saturday.........
Old 23-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #67
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
1) "My way" is 150km north of the freeway.

2) Are you saying that where ever YOU drive there is a jerk not driving properly? Hmmm.....

3) Ah you mean like the 130km/h limits in NT and the 130 limits in QLD that have only been "temporarily" reduced to 110 until the emergency vehicle U turns issue is resloved?

4) 125 limit does not mean you have to do 125, when you got your license part of the testing was to find out if you had enough brains to work out when conditions were unsafe for a particular speed.

5) So you are now going to use public transport? See answer 2.

6) How do you know he does not already have it?

Looking forward to Saturday.........
1) Last time I looked Hervey Bay was still in Qld
2) Don't verbal/twist my words - it is not the standard expected of high value moderators
3) I lived in NT and drove thousands of km's in a no speed limit regime, the main differences between there and here - much less traffic, huge distances between townships, usually better weather conditions and wide long well cleared straight stretches of road, and even with a no speed limit seldom did people go over 130km/hr
4) Give any jerk the legal right to drive 125km/hr and they will drive at 130km/hr regardless of the conditions - you know this so stop the pretense
5) Nonsensical
6) I could think of of worse parties to vote for, and it would be hilarious if Katter got more seats than Labor!
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #68
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While this is political it is a very important thing for Queenslanders as we have an election shortly.

I just received a policy document from Katter's Australian Party.

It stated that they are going to upgrade the Bruce from the Gateway to Sunny Coast to 125km/h and build a new 125km/h arterial road from Sunny coast to South Burnett as well as sort out several of our other problem spots.

This is the first time in at least a decade that there has been a policy to raise speed limits instead of lowering them and installing more speed cameras.

It is very interesting and I am looking forward to all the screaming from the wowsers as well as replies from the other parties.

2012 is turning out to be a very interesting year.......

P.S. this is not a "vote katter" thread it is a "fix the roads and make life easier for road users" thread and I hope that others do the same.
Problem is the road is built for less than the speed he mentions , 110 or 115 would be better but there are already to many stupid speed changes in Qld , 3 or 5 is all we need
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #69
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
3) I lived in NT and drove thousands of km's in a no speed limit regime, the main differences between there and here - much less traffic, huge distances between townships, usually better weather conditions and wide long well cleared straight stretches of road, and even with a no speed limit seldom did people go over 130km/hr
Germany has (//) and much greater traffic volumes.

Your referencing 130km/h as a typical speed median may well be spot on, and that is the point of derestriction; it allows speed to be chosen by the driver on prevailing circumstances at all times. It allows the individual to run at high triple digit speeds for a few hundred metres or a kay or three, usually alone. It allows someone to cruise @ 70km/h - if they see fit. Speed limits on the other hand effectivelly give something for folk to 'drive at' (a target), often come_what_my (speed-limit conditioning),sometimes with dire outcome.

Quote:
4) Give any jerk the legal right to drive 125km/hr and they will drive at 130km/hr regardless of the conditions - you know this so stop the pretense
Sure, then derestriction (//) is the appropriate speed management. Per point 3 really.

Quote:
6) I could think of of worse parties to vote for, and it would be hilarious if Katter got more seats than Labor!
I wish him luck, only because the extreme leftists and one worlders *hate* him. That outcome would be funny though.
http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well.......
Old 24-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Yeah, the best we can ever hope for now is long periods of uninterrupted 110 kph.
It's all the slow downs to 80 and 60 kph that concertinas the traffic and causes headaches.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #72
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
1) Last time I looked Hervey Bay was still in Qld
2) Don't verbal/twist my words - it is not the standard expected of high value moderators
5) Nonsensical
It's 110 on the M1 and look how many sit on 100 or even 90KM/H and this lot don't sit in the left lane. and some fools will sit in all the lanes doing 80 to 90 KM/H at times and it's no joke like how could people be so stupid or are they just trying to be clowns.
The right lane is the one people should be going faster in not the left and i don't think that on the M1 driving in the far right lane you should be fined for doing up to 125KM/H as it would keep everything moving along as a multi lane highway should and their would be no excuse to pass on the left and if you get caught poncing around in the far right you should cop a fine.
And as for what Katter is saying i think people are taking out of context as i am sure it's not the whole higway he is on about, but it should be if the road was up to date.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #73
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Old thread I know, but couldn't find a more recent one discussing the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbane Times Article
The LNP's Thuringowa State Electorate Council has also called on the LNP government to increase speed limits on open roads to 130km/h, where possible.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...712-21ygz.html

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 21-07-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #74
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that is interesting. Can Do has shown that he is not constrained by any incumbent cultures, agenda or policies.

We have a shiny new 4 lane road about to open north of Cooroy, a perfect place for the first 130 zone.

Of course there will be huge amounts of screaming from wowsers and some lobby groups as a 130 zone in a more populated area will demonstrate the ACTUAL rather than theoretical impact.

Maybe the road toll will go up, it hasn't anywhere else in the world but it might do so here. The wowsers and social engineers would publicly lambast the Government and wail and cry for those killed while secretly doing the happy dance as they have been vindicated.

Maybe the road toll will not change at all in which there there will be a million reasons proffered as to why the 130 zone prevented the toll dropping.

Maybe the road toll will actually drop which of course will be a "statistical blip" as any reality that does not follow the theory must be invalid.
This would be the worst case possible for the do-gooders as it proves THEY ARE WRONG and it is easier to divide by zero than to get a wowser or academic with an agenda to even contemplate the possibility that they may not be 100% right is everything they say and do.

NT elections are in 5 weeks. CLP have said they will reinstate (//). I am already planning my next NT driving holiday.
Old 21-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:

NT elections are in 5 weeks. CLP have said they will reinstate (//).
i would imagine, up there in the NT, that policy alone would almost be enough.

i am not against higher speeds but personally i think many city folk (which technically i am myself) don't know how to drive in the country or on freeways, open roads etc. they are so used to being up the clacker of the next bloke that they continue to drive like that everywhere they go.

with plane travel being rather cheap, the amount of people that drive long distances is substantially less these days, which should really help the argument. i travel to bris from adel every year, and whilst i probably wouldn't travel at 130 the whole way even if the speed limit was raised (more a fuel economy/cost thing) there are sections (hay plains) that i probably would bump it up. also, going the more northern route, lots of big open spaces around wilcannia, cobar etc. pretty good road up there too.

i agree with KEEPLEFT. (//) should be reinstated in many areas as this leaves it up to the motorist and doesn't give a 'target' to drive at.

hopefully what happens is, once one govt goes down this path, many others will follow. might be a bit hopeful, but you have to live in hope.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #76
bingoTE50
Steve

I could be in trouble if it comes in . My 2.3 Escape into a head wind at 130 km/h , I am not sure it would do it...and my old Hilux 2.4 auto ,it would need a fuel tanker behind it to keep it going..even if I could get to 130km/h .
It could be a very good excuse to the financial controller at home to invest in another V8 !!
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

i am not against higher speeds but personally i think many city folk (which technically i am myself) don't know how to drive in the country or on freeways, open roads etc. they are so used to being up the clacker of the next bloke that they continue to drive like that everywhere they go.

with plane travel being rather cheap, the amount of people that drive long distances is substantially less these days, which should really help the argument. i travel to bris from adel every year, and whilst i probably wouldn't travel at 130 the whole way even if the speed limit was raised (more a fuel economy/cost thing) there are sections (hay plains) that i probably would bump it up. also, going the more northern route, lots of big open spaces around wilcannia, cobar etc. pretty good road up there too.

i agree with KEEPLEFT. (//) should be reinstated in many areas as this leaves it up to the motorist and doesn't give a 'target' to drive at.

hopefully what happens is, once one govt goes down this path, many others will follow. might be a bit hopeful, but you have to live in hope.
An here is another of the common misconceptions. Whenever long drive is mentioned to city people they only ever think city to city e.g. Sydney to Melbourne or whatever.

Instead of Adelaide to Brisbane what if your trek was from Port Lincoln to Kingaroy which is about the same distance but a bloody long drive to the nearest major airport.

Over the years I have done a lot of work in Central QLD and Whitsunday and despite it being between 7 and 11 hours drive each way it is actually far quicker and cheaper than flying.
Old 21-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #78
prydey
Rob

Quote:
An here is another of the common misconceptions. Whenever long drive is mentioned to city people they only ever think city to city e.g. Sydney to Melbourne or whatever.

Instead of Adelaide to Brisbane what if your trek was from Port Lincoln to Kingaroy which is about the same distance but a bloody long drive to the nearest major airport.

Over the years I have done a lot of work in Central QLD and Whitsunday and despite it being between 7 and 11 hours drive each way it is actually far quicker and cheaper than flying.
i was agreeing with you. i was just using my personal trip as an example.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #79
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i was agreeing with you. i was just using my personal trip as an example.
I know, I was just expanding on it to make it a bit more obvious to others.
Old 21-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #80
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It is also good from an overtaking point of view. To go past a car doing 90km/h in a 100 zone you spend a long time on the other side of the road if you don't want to speed. If it is derestricted you can just give it a little squirt and be back on the right side of the road in a couple of seconds.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #81
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its stupid that they state you cant speed while overtaking on a two lane road!! its a very dangerous practise too sit at the speed limit while passing on a two lane road!!! the less time on the wrong side of the road the better if you ask me!! It doesnt worry me if the speed limit goes up or down personally and i dont have a problem with people that want too sit at 90km/h in 100km/h zones etc. its the dont not exceed the speed limit while overtaking law that i think is dangerous. I think that if someone does get caught exceeding the speed limit while overtaking the police should see if they "back off" or continue exceeding the speed limit before anyone cops a fine!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #82
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
I think that if someone does get caught exceeding the speed limit while overtaking the police should see if they "back off" or continue exceeding the speed limit before anyone cops a fine!!!
People do get fined for this. Revenue prevails over logic every time.

I can see from these discussions that local folk (unless they've driven in Europe) don't understand the realities of a high speed environment. For the last month I've been driving regularly between Czech Republic and Germany, generally at a minimum speed of 120, averaging something over 130. I'm regularly overtaken by cars doing up to about 220. My Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI still does better economy than 6l/100 even at those speeds and still has great overtaking acceleration between 120 and 150 (I haven't gone above 160 yet but the speedo goes to 240!). All those Euro import cars you see spend a lot of their lives in Europe driving between 130 and 160 - they wouldn't get much past idle in Australia! Don't underestimate the capability of the cars.

I cover my 200 km in less than 2 hours (down to 1:45hr) and my concentration is totally on driving, I don't have boredom, highway hypnosis or microsleeps, or the stress of watching for hidden police or ensuring that the speedo stays on a certain speed. Two hours wouldn't get me to where I wanted to at Australian speeds - they expect people to take rest breaks out in the mulga but most push on to the next town, hence microsleep and highway hypnosis fatalities (attributed to "speeding" in the official record of course). The case for a class action against governments and Monash University for contributory manslaughter (or whatever the legal phrasing might be) looks promising.

Those "wild" drivers in Germany only have about 4.5 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year compared to 5.7 in nannied and slow Australia. This is what happens when you take away driver intitiative and slow people down to a comatose, highly controlled and neurotic environment.

Not looking forward to coming back to driving in Australia, it'll be very frustrating - and dangerous.

Last edited by new2ford; 22-07-2012 at 02:55 AM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #83
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
I could be in trouble if it comes in . My 2.3 Escape into a head wind at 130 km/h , I am not sure it would do it...and my old Hilux 2.4 auto ,it would need a fuel tanker behind it to keep it going..even if I could get to 130km/h .
It could be a very good excuse to the financial controller at home to invest in another V8 !!
bingo mate save yourself the trouble and get a Skoda or VW - or, yes a European Ford. You don't need a V8! Read my above post, the big cars and V8s thing is a myth nowadays. I think my Territory would be really struggling to do a similar performance!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #84
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
125 kms an hour... id like to see that... 50% of the cars on QLD's roads would not handle 125 kms an hour safely, most of them cant do 100 and keep straight.
Thats not the cars being unsafe its the drivers,lol
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post