Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #61
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Default Re: The real 'last Monaro' is finally sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Not even close, the Bathurst Monaros were quoted at 300hp? I think, a lot more than any wheezing supercharged V6 Monaro made. Even a base model BA XT from the same era made more power than the Monaro V6, thats how gutless it was. Pre-emissions V8's can't really be compared to the later emissions compliant V8 that had the life squeezed out of them.

The Bathurst Monaros with the 350 Chev and 4 speed were pretty good in terms of power, the autos were de-tuned though.
A std V6 s/c will hose a BA XT in the real world,dont get to hooked up on numbers as it doesnt equate to the quicker car,you should know that

I have owned both cars so im able to comment here.

FYI,alot of 2nd hand std L67's are running 2-4psi instead of the usual 6psi because of the crappy boost solenoid that fails alot of the time and therefore get a bad wrap.These motors are about torque more than power at std levels.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #62
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

old dude at work has one of these.. black, manual, definately sex on wheels....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #63
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I went to the Brisbane international motor show in 2001 and sat in the new monaro's before they were released to the public and they were the bee knees back then. I think there down fall is that they are only 4 seaters.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #64
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
A bloke I work with owns one of these 2 door Commodores, he goes on about it increasing in value, it is an investment, blah, blah, it is not a special model, it just a 2 door Commodore.

I said to him that I own a XP Coupe, it ihas increased in value over its 46 year life by over 1000%, let's see if the 2 door Commodore is going to do the same.

All coupes followed the 4 door variant...well from about the 60's onwards........be it Holden, Ford or Chrysler. Event the old XM - XP's were subjected to a publicity stunt so Ford could sell them.

All cars will bottom out on price some will turn around and some will end up at the recyclers. The basic philosophy is rareness equals exclusivity. Exclusivity means demand is up and supply is down thus price remains relatively stable and sometimes it goes up. Don't confuse your 1000% increase in value with CPI.

Maybe you should ask the bloke at work to take you for a drive in his coupe, what's to lose? Afterall its only a two door commodore........
69 XTGT
70 XWGT
97 EL Fairmont Ghia
68 HK Monaro GTS327
73 HQ Monaro GTS427
71 XY GTHO
03 BA GT-P Mk1
04 BA Falcon XR6
05 BA GT-P Mk2
06 WRX
06 HSV GTO Z
93 ED Fairmont
16 FG-X G6E Turbo
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #65
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is the old dudes from work.. he hunted down the last black 6sp manual..

one owner.. un molested.. daily driver.. awesome machine...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
A std V6 s/c will hose a BA XT in the real world,dont get to hooked up on numbers as it doesnt equate to the quicker car,you should know that

I have owned both cars so im able to comment here.

FYI,alot of 2nd hand std L67's are running 2-4psi instead of the usual 6psi because of the crappy boost solenoid that fails alot of the time and therefore get a bad wrap.These motors are about torque more than power at std levels.
I only said that the BA XT made more power than it, not that it was faster.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #67
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD
All coupes followed the 4 door variant...well from about the 60's onwards........be it Holden, Ford or Chrysler. Event the old XM - XP's were subjected to a publicity stunt so Ford could sell them.

All cars will bottom out on price some will turn around and some will end up at the recyclers. The basic philosophy is rareness equals exclusivity. Exclusivity means demand is up and supply is down thus price remains relatively stable and sometimes it goes up. Don't confuse your 1000% increase in value with CPI.
Thanks for stating the obvious, we need more of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD
Maybe you should ask the bloke at work to take you for a drive in his coupe, what's to lose? Afterall its only a two door commodore........
I don't have a spare balaclava and a pair of sunglasses dark enough.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #68
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question Re: The real 'last Monaro' is finally sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I only said that the BA XT made more power than it, not that it was faster.
You said"Thats how gutless it was"

Where I come from a car thats gutless will get beaten by one that isnt,I dont recall you calling the BA gutless
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #69
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil and on topic please.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #70
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A bloke I work with owns one of these 2 door Commodores, he goes on about it increasing in value, it is an investment, blah, blah, it is not a special model, it just a 2 door Commodore.

I said to him that I own a XP Coupe, it ihas increased in value over its 46 year life by over 1000%, let's see if the 2 door Commodore is going to do the same.
Atleast Holden recaptured the spirit of making it a 2 door coupe. I've been looking on Carpoint and can't believe some people are pushing 60k+ for those BF GT "Cobras" when they're just a GT with Cobra branding.

I don't know, but at the time the Monaro was released there was really nothing else like it on the market in the same price range.

In essence yes it's just a 2 door Commodore and doesn't really have the same heritage as the originals (Bathurst for example), but IMO and I know this sounds biased being a Holden fan and all, but I genuinely believe in time the modern Monaros will hold their value quite well.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #71
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Thanks for stating the obvious, we need more of that

My pleasure.

I don't have a spare balaclava and a pair of sunglasses dark enough.
Your loss....
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
You said"Thats how gutless it was"

Where I come from a car thats gutless will get beaten by one that isnt,I dont recall you calling the BA gutless
The BA was a base model fleet special, it wasn't supposed to be fast, the Monaro was supposed to be a sports coupe. 172kw, how embarrasing. No wonder no one bought them and Holden dumped it for V2.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #73
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
In essence yes it's just a 2 door Commodore and doesn't really have the same heritage as the originals (Bathurst for example), but IMO and I know this sounds biased being a Holden fan and all, but I genuinely believe in time the modern Monaros will hold their value quite well.
You're not alone there. I personally believe that Monaros, and the GTO in particular will hold there value quite well in the future.

Sure people can say it's just a two door commodore, but in my opinion it looks fantastic and hasn't aged a day, it's got no sort of competition because Ford haven't produced anything post the year 2000 that could be considered valuable in the future (Cobra models? Oh please), and you don't see many of them around. The ones you do see around are always in mint condition too.

Just my 2c.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #74
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
You're not alone there. I personally believe that Monaros, and the GTO in particular will hold there value quite well in the future.

Sure people can say it's just a two door commodore, but in my opinion it looks fantastic and hasn't aged a day, it's got no sort of competition because Ford haven't produced anything post the year 2000 that could be considered valuable in the future (Cobra models? Oh please), and you don't see many of them around. The ones you do see around are always in mint condition too.

Just my 2c.
The coupe 4? Always wanted one of those.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #75
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:

Just my 2c.
The T series? Stopped in 2002. Going to be collectible soon!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #76
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

for what is worth....x2 Monaro and U.S. GTO

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/slide...ulcomebackcars
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #77
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
The T series? Stopped in 2002. Going to be collectible soon!
I'm doubtful, it's got a face only a mother could love.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #78
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
I'm doubtful, it's got a face only a mother could love.
and the monaro doesn't
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #79
homegrown
hotshot

I was working at Holdens when the last Monaro came through. Nice model.
Only down side IMO is that the Monaro didnt get the pillarlous look and have the back windows wind down. That should one of the great features on all coupes
Old 24-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #80
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make no mistake the 2 door commodore that you refer to will increase in value
they will go through the same phase as other two doors like the XA -to XC series falcon coupes ....you couldnt give them away in the mid eighties and I know cos I bought mine in 1977 and still own it but this turned around. the same will happen to the latest version of the monaro and it is a monaro. (My CV8R was one of the best cars I have ever owned)
Also lets keep things in perspective the XP coupe didnt cost $50K to buy when it was new so obviously we wont see the monaro increase in value by 1000% but as they become rarer (as holden may not buld another coupe ever again just like Ford) we might see them selling for close to their purchase price in 25 - 30 years or so
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #81
Bundy2
Starter Motor

Would prefer a gts over the monaro
Bundy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #82
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, my wife & I are planning to buy one of these. We are planning to go for the V2 CV6 model, basically for reasons of economy, but also because the CV8 motors have quite a bad rep (do your research like I did & you will find they tend to rattle & use oil).
Anyway, would be interested to hear from anyone who has owned a V2 or VZ Monaro, CV6 or CV8, just to hear what things you know about them, what things you liked/disliked, any issues, etc - cheers
Btw we are planning to keep the Falcon :-) We are planning for the Monaro to be primarily my wife's car - she is ready for something bigger than the Daihatsu & likes these cars.
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #83
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777
Well, my wife & I are planning to buy one of these. We are planning to go for the V2 CV6 model, basically for reasons of economy, but also because the CV8 motors have quite a bad rep (do your research like I did & you will find they tend to rattle & use oil).
Anyway, would be interested to hear from anyone who has owned a V2 or VZ Monaro, CV6 or CV8, just to hear what things you know about them, what things you liked/disliked, any issues, etc - cheers
Btw we are planning to keep the Falcon :-) We are planning for the Monaro to be primarily my wife's car - she is ready for something bigger than the Daihatsu & likes these cars.
I owned a CV8R from 2004 to 2007 and it was one of the best cars I have ever owned

What impressed me most other than the styling and appointments was the drive train

The best sounding V8 I have ever owned and just the right amount of engine noise in the cabin
Did not have one issue with the engine and I should have kept the car instead of selling it to build a bigger house
I would buy another one no hesitation
Old 18-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #84
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had my CV8 since new - April 2004. It's only travelled 64,000 k's in that time & has not given me any issues/problems.
Here's a few things to be aware of ;
- The CV6 models weren't around for long as most buyers wanted the V8. This makes them a little scarce & of course they will be early 2002/2003 models.
- There isn't a great deal of fuel usage difference between the supercharged V6 & V8 engines.
- Earlier V8 models (up to end of 2003) have occassional oil usage/piston slap problems. Any model from 2004 onwards will have the revised piston & skirt which solved this issue.
- Check rear passenger foot wells for water penetration. Early models (V6 & V8) have been known to leak via insufficient underbody sealer. This was rectified in all models from mid 2003 onwards.
Personally I'd recommend you get the CV8 - purely for resale value. The CV6 will only attract a limited market - but your call at the end of the day.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

For the love of god, don't buy a V6 version.
Old 18-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #86
zilo
BANNED

I test drove a CV8 and decided the rear visibility was life threatening.
I was hoping for charity every time I moved from the right lane to the left.

Felt it was underpowered for what i expected.

In later years a mate had one and one night we were flogged three lights in a row by a front wheel drive V6 Magna....admittedly at suburban speed limits, but nevertheless mate was pretty ****ed.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #87
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a coupe , it's supposed to look good not be practical
the only car I was ever beaten by was a wrx
Got the jump on me by 2 car lengths and when i got to 120 i started to wheel him in fast then he backed off

Plenty of others tried but without success
May be your mate should try shifting into second

Also I would recommend a Kia Carnival for all round visibility, should make you feel safe
Old 19-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #88
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Or one of those toasters on wheels you see getting around. Don't know what they are but all the Koreans and japs seem to be making them....lol.
Old 19-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #89
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
I test drove a CV8 and decided the rear visibility was life threatening.
I was hoping for charity every time I moved from the right lane to the left.

Felt it was underpowered for what i expected.

In later years a mate had one and one night we were flogged three lights in a row by a front wheel drive V6 Magna....admittedly at suburban speed limits, but nevertheless mate was pretty ****ed.
Was your mates car running 8 spark plugs, I can't comprehend how the Magna was faster........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #90
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll vouch for the L67. With a pulley change and a boost solenoid mod they will eat a gen 3 for breakfast.

I have the L67 in my Calais, and it pulls like a train right off idle, and has no trouble at all dispatching unsuspecting takers who would otherwise dismiss it.

In full road trim, full tank of 98 and spare tyre fitted managed a 14.2 quarter.

They may not be the smoothest motor around, nor do they sound as evocative as a V8 but they definately move when you want to.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post